AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Durarara Plotholes, and why I can't like it [SPOILERS]

Member Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori's Avatar
    Gil
    Approved
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-05-2013 03:09 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Kazetori- Steam ID: Kazetori

Exclamation Durarara Plotholes, and why I can't like it [SPOILERS]

So, I just finished watching the Durarara Anime.

Here's why I can't bring myself to like it:

1: Shingen, Traffic Cop, and Kasuka were all pretty much pointless characters - which would have been O.K. were they not featured in the intro. Seriously, Kasuka doesn't even make an appearance in the second part, yet he's in the intro. I don't get it.

2: No resolution on the Dullahan = Valkyrie plotline whatsoever. It's not even referenced again after it's established. And that was the basis for sparking the whole gang war. The purpose of the events of the entire series doesn't get a resolution. Even if they did somehow thwart Izaya's plot with no knowledge that it even existed - he just gives up? Someone as clever and resourceful, not to mention maniacal as him just gives up?

3: In the final fight, all the Dollars members hang around doing nothing until Kida is half dead before they bust out hero mode - and over half the group there were thralls to Saika, but she doesn't care enough to give them an order? Not to mention the super-convenience given to Celty dragging them together and telling them how to solve their problems. Anyone with basic story structure know-how knows that's poor writing.

4: Kida - OUT! I really don't get this ending. Kida had finally come of age as a character and faced himself and his guilt, which were brought about by his "Running away" when his lady needed him - but then in the end he leaves without saying goodbye to his friends. There's only one reason he wouldn't be able to say anything to them, and then be staking their chatroom trying to be secretive - and that would be him feeling guilty. So... after just having his epiphany, he remakes the same mistake? So as a character, he did zero development?

There's a lot of other things that made me go "oh well isn't THAT convenient" but I can usually overlook those - but for a series that had such vibrant characters and such a strong exposition, the conclusion just felt like such a kick in the nuts.

What do you think? I know the light novels are ongoing, but I think they could have tied this off better than they did (Or they shouldn't have started work on such a great story concept until the source was complete.)

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Default Re: Durarara Plotholes, and why I can't like it [SPOILERS]

To start off, you didn't list any plotholes. You listed that it was inconclusive. Now why would that be? You answered it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by さしきず View Post
    I know the light novels are ongoing
    Now why would they stay completely with the novels, to the point that they introduce seemingly pointless characters and leave threads of the plot hanging? Because they're a planning to continue the animation - the way the last ~10 episodes were handled is a clear sign of a set-up for a second season, the most obvious being the introduction of Shingen and the ambiguous revelation of Izaya's plans for Celty's head.

In light of this, your four points are moot.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Member Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori's Avatar
    Gil
    Approved
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

The fact that the purpose behind orchestrating the gang war gets no resolution and isn't referenced beyond the episode where it's explained isn't a plot hole?

So you're saying you can accept garbage storytelling because it's indicative of a second season? What of the gang war Izaya needs for his plan? It's not going to happen without some Retconning of this existing story : Unless he's totally thrown out that plan - which I could buy if there was any mention of it - but it's never even mentioned in the end.

I don't care how closely the anime follows the light novels, if at all - I'm just saying there's been no news of a season two and the existing story has a horrible resolution.

EDIT: The ending reeks of a D Grayman or FMA style treatment where the anime got the "good enough" and deviated from the complete story.

It's not that there wasn't a resolution - there definitely was for every character - My issue is that several of the plot threads that led to that resolution either get left out of the conclusion(Valkyrie), or are rendered pointless in the way they're portrayed(Kida's ending)
    Last edited by Kazetori; 08-17-2011 at 09:45 PM.

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by さしきず View Post
    EDIT: The ending reeks of a D Grayman or FMA style treatment where the anime got the "good enough" and deviated from the complete story.
    But this is contrary to what you said before. They didn't deviate at all from the novels' story. They basically got to the end of the first major arc and cut it off, instead of sewing together loose ends that the novels ties together later or making up an ending altogether.

It's not that there wasn't a resolution - there definitely was for every character - My issue is that several of the plot threads that led to that resolution either get left out of the conclusion(Valkyrie), or are rendered pointless in the way they're portrayed(Kida's ending)
    That's because they're meant to be continued. They're done, but only for now. You're looking at this is though it were a complete segment - but it's not. It's much more similar to the ending of the original Code Geass series, where some things were resolved, some were put aside for the time being, and then it just cut off.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Senior Member Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-01-2012 06:32 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: StarryMasamune PSN ID: BlackEsper

Celty's Head plot wasn't unresolved - she realised that she simply didn't care about it anymore, as her friends (and Shinra) had accepted her the way she was. Certainly there is still a big mystery regarding exactly what Izaya plans to do with it. but that's being saved for later seasons (assuming there are any).

Or you could, you know, read the novels? They clear up a lot, because they're, you know, the next part of the story. And let's not forget that this is a Ryohgo Narita series - he never makes things simple.

6. Thanks Ranshiin thanked for this post
    Senior Member Vanilla Tsundere has a reputation beyond repute Vanilla Tsundere has a reputation beyond repute Vanilla Tsundere has a reputation beyond repute Vanilla Tsundere has a reputation beyond repute Vanilla Tsundere has a reputation beyond repute Vanilla Tsundere has a reputation beyond repute Vanilla Tsundere has a reputation beyond repute Vanilla Tsundere has a reputation beyond repute Vanilla Tsundere has a reputation beyond repute Vanilla Tsundere has a reputation beyond repute Vanilla Tsundere has a reputation beyond repute Vanilla Tsundere's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Red Ribbon Eva NERV Red Dango
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-10-2011 10:35 PM
    In multiple realities, serving the same purpose.
    Threads

Or you could, you know, read the novels? They clear up a lot, because they're, you know, the next part of the story.
    It's a good suggestion. I've ran into a few series where the novel cleared stuff up about the series. NGE being one of them.

♥♦♣♠"Nature cares nothing for our logic, our human logic. She has her own, which we do not realize or acknowledge until we are crushes under it's wheel." ♥♦♣♠

Gil
    Approved
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

THANK YOU! Those ranting posts were made by my boyfriend, who after me showing him the series, was extremely angry and didn't want to like it at all because of well.. the points he gave. He doesn't have an account here and I'm not so good at arguing, nor have I read the novels (yet ^.~), so I let him borrow my account to get some answers. He's not going to respond because he says "it's like if the Harry Potter movies never touched on any of the main plot and everyone had to wait for the final movie for a final wrap up". Well anyway, thank you everyone, I love the series despite the obvious loose ends that he found so annoying and will hopefully be addressed in a second season, but for now, I'm going to go track down the novels. ^_^

Senior Member Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-01-2012 06:32 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: StarryMasamune PSN ID: BlackEsper

They haven't been officially translated, but there are some fan translations. The anime covers novels 1-3 btw.
    Last edited by Ranshiin; 08-22-2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: We don't link to scanlations O_o

Junior Member viesto is on a distinguished road viesto's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-02-2011 09:57 PM
    Threads

Durarara a great show but if you miss a episode your ptetty much lost

Senior Member Arrisu has a reputation beyond repute Arrisu has a reputation beyond repute Arrisu has a reputation beyond repute Arrisu has a reputation beyond repute Arrisu has a reputation beyond repute Arrisu has a reputation beyond repute Arrisu has a reputation beyond repute Arrisu has a reputation beyond repute Arrisu has a reputation beyond repute Arrisu has a reputation beyond repute Arrisu has a reputation beyond repute Arrisu's Avatar
    Gil
    Devilish
    Gifts Cake Spinning Beach Ball Doom Baka
    Mentioned
    375 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-26-2016 06:47 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Am I the only one who doesn't believe the boyfriend excuse? u_u

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information