AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anime you would NOT recommend to beginners

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-18-2024 09:00 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Lightbulb Anime you would NOT recommend to beginners

What anime series or movie would you not recommend to a newbie? That is, a friend or associate who has never seen anime before. I am NOT talking about bad anime, poor anime, or crappy anime. I am talking about good or even great anime, even one of your favorites, which for one reason or another you would not recommend. Give us the name and the reason.

My choices:

Elfin Lied. The reasons should be obvious. This is a great thriller, but it also has some extremely detailed nudity, violence by and against children, and one pedophile scene. Anyone introduced to anime by this series will probably walk away thinking anime and its fans are preverted.

Boogiepop Phantom. This is a classic, and one of my favorite anime series. But let's face it. It is incredibly difficult to watch. Even the experienced anime viewer will have to watch each episode several times, and from the beginning several times to follow the story. But that is one of the series' charms. Not only are the episodes not in chronological order, but the scenes within the episodes are not in chronological order. Start off with something simple first, then work your way to Boggiepop.

Your turn.

Jackie Coogan, Charlie Chaplin, and Charles Reisner as the Bully.

Reisner was a former pro boxer who turned actor, writer, and director. He previously worked for Chaplin behind the camera on The Gold Rush. Reisner would later become known as a comedy director working with The Marx Brothers, Jack Benny, and Abbot and Costello, among others.

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Default Re: Anime you would NOT recommend to beginners

Addendum --

I've been knocking this one around my head since my posting above. Would FLCL be an anime not recommended for newbies?

FLCL Progressive and FLCL Alternative definitely not recommended because they are totally lame. But the original FLCL is a classic. But is it too insanely complex with all its parodying, side gags, and intentionally messed up story-line? Should I save my recommendation to watch FLCL until my newbie friend has gotten a few other anime under his/her belt?

Reisner was a former pro boxer who turned actor, writer, and director. He previously worked for Chaplin behind the camera on The Gold Rush. Reisner would later become known as a comedy director working with The Marx Brothers, Jack Benny, and Abbot and Costello, among others.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-11-2024 06:40 PM
    Threads

There is literally no such anime.

Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ You would actually show Elfin Lied to a newbie?

Oh, wait. I forgot who I was talking to.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Why not recommend Elfin Lied to an anime beginner?

Warning! This scene is pretty disturbing.

What would be your reaction if this was your introduction to anime?

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    ^ You would actually show Elfin Lied to a newbie?

Oh, wait. I forgot who I was talking to.
    Dude, I saw Wicked City when I was like five. And Akira.

Thouhg I do have fond memories of Serendipity...
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Dude, I saw Wicked City when I was like five. And Akira.

Thouhg I do have fond memories of Serendipity...
    Maybe. But I would consider you an. . . . Let's just say an exception.

Anyway, Elfin Lied makes Akira look like Disney.

What is Wicked City and Serendipity?

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

You do not have Google?

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Google invades your privacy. Besides, isn't it the purpose of this site for us to give our insights into anime? If not, then why does this site exist? And if you don't want to discuss, why are you here?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information