AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Why?

Scruffy has a reputation beyond repute Scruffy has a reputation beyond repute Scruffy has a reputation beyond repute Scruffy has a reputation beyond repute Scruffy has a reputation beyond repute Scruffy has a reputation beyond repute Scruffy has a reputation beyond repute Scruffy has a reputation beyond repute Scruffy has a reputation beyond repute Scruffy has a reputation beyond repute Scruffy has a reputation beyond repute Scruffy's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pokedex Popsicle Mario Item Box
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2019 09:20 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Why?

Ericgamer1.

An individual who is, supposedly, the moderator of the Video Games forum. An individual who...has a problem with the asterisk.

The asterisk is a very important key. It enables us to perform mathematical equations on the computer, and means "multiplied by." It is used by some as an alternative for swearing, in order to comply with forum rules that may be in place. It is also used by many people to correct grammatical mistakes, usually as such:

'Hey Palu!'
    'Paul*'

Why Ericgamer1 is offended by the usage of the asterisk is unclear. Perhaps it represents a sunflower, and he may have had a traumatic experience involving a sunflower. Maybe it reminds him of the stars, and gives him an uneasy feeling of how massive the universe is compared to the world. It could also, to him, the tyranny that is multiplication in a mathematical equation. We may never know the true answer to this question. However, it is clear that in two instances, I have unfortunately received infractions for "swearing."

Let us examine an excerpt from the first post in which I was reported to have "swore":

"This E3 was complete ****. **** all this gimmicky touch-pad and Kinect bull****. Nintendo was the only one who could save E3, and they failed miserably, like everyone else. Video Gaming is officially dead."

The message I received was "swearing much. o_O" But let us take a step back for a second.

By definition, what is swearing? I believe Ericgamer1 was referring to profanity, which is defined as a show of disrespect, or a desecration or debasement of someone or something. Profanity can take the form of words, expressions, gestures, or other social behaviors.

Based upon this definition, which of these elements are present in my post? I see a total of twelve asterisks. Asterisks, by definition, mean "multiplied by." Where is the swearing in question? Moreover, who is being offended?

Let us examine an excerpt from the second post in question.

"WOW, MAN. WOW. [removed] YOU.
    [...]
    Moral of the story II: Nintendo likes to [removed] over the most loyal of its fanbase. (specifically us Pikmin bros)
    "

The two [removed] placeholders were, presumably, the offenders. This was the post that got reported. The original copy, had [EFF] and [****] in place of these two [removed] placeholders. Is "EFF" also an example of profanity? The message I received this time was: "so I asked you to stop swearing. self censoring counts as that too. please do not do it again" Why am I repeatedly being given infractions for usage of asterisks, and the term "EFF"?

Thank you for reading this analysis.

Super Srs Version: Why is swearing an offense that has given me two consecutive infractions? Is it that big a deal? I clearly censored all "swear words," and was actually a large contributor to the discussion of that thread.

COME AT ME BRO

2. Dislikes Archaic Devices disliked this post
    Senior Member SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-14-2014 06:26 AM
    Berwald Oxenstiernas (Hetalia) vital regions [Sweden]
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why?

You don't think it would've been better to telling him this in a private message to him, then making a thread? What is the meaning of this thread anyway? To make him look bad? To make it a forum where you want people to "throw a pie at him - (where you threw the first one)", or what exactly is the purpose of this thread? If you had any complain against him - you could have been satisfied with just telling that straight to his face - or possible to some other mods. But this?

Besides - doesn't it says something on the forum rules that anything that reminds of a swearing word is forbidden? Like in one thread I used the word "duck" instead of a cursing and it got changed; and I didn't mind it or complained about it. So I think it's not strange that your post got corrected if that is one of the forum rules. If it one of the rules I don't get what and why you are complaining so much.

You could have handled this so much tidyer. This thread is just low.
    I think this thread will be closed down soon.

And I don't know what that abbreviations mean, so I can't say anything about it.

Last edited by SuXrys; 06-07-2011 at 09:01 PM.

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie
    Season five of Game of Thrones
    New episodes of Downton Abbey

4. Likes Mugiwara-no-Basuke liked this post
    Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2022 04:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It's quite simple really. you posted multiple posts with offensive language, yes, it was censored, but it was still offensive language being used.

I removed it, and gave you a warning.

you continued the behavior, and I gave you and an infraction.

Self-censoring is still against the rules. If you try to do that it chat, you will be warned/banned. this is my reasoning.
    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

6. Likes Anoleis liked this post
  7. 06-07-2011 09:04 PM
    This post has been down-ranked. Click "View Post" to view it.

8. Dislikes Jose, Archaic Devices, Princess Minako disliked this post
    Moderator Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Be Mine Alfa Romeo Spider JTS Mario Blue Shell
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-12-2017 03:31 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Maybe you should find different words to use to express feelings of anger or frustration.

10. Thanks Xeyuzio, Anoleis thanked for this post
    Likes Elphaba, Nesh, Xeyuzio liked this post
    Senior Member Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare's Avatar
    Gil
    Angry
    Gifts Purple Ribbon Gabumon Cylon Centurion
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-03-2017 08:07 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Serated View Post
    Maybe you should find different words to use to express feelings of anger or frustration.

This ^^^

Scruffy has a reputation beyond repute Scruffy has a reputation beyond repute Scruffy has a reputation beyond repute Scruffy has a reputation beyond repute Scruffy has a reputation beyond repute Scruffy has a reputation beyond repute Scruffy has a reputation beyond repute Scruffy has a reputation beyond repute Scruffy has a reputation beyond repute Scruffy has a reputation beyond repute Scruffy has a reputation beyond repute Scruffy's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuXrys View Post
    You don't think it would've been better to telling him this in a private message to him, then making a thread? What is the meaning of this thread anyway? To make him look bad? To make it a forum where you want people to "throw a pie at him - (where you threw the first one)", or what exactly is the purpose of this thread? If you had any complain against him - you could have been satisfied with just telling that straight to his face - or possible to some other mods. But this?

Besides - doesn't it says something on the forum rules that anything that reminds of a swearing word is forbidden? Like in one thread I used the word "duck" instead of a cursing and it got changed; and I didn't mind it or complained about it. So I think it's not strange that your post got corrected if that is one of the forum rules. If it one of the rules I don't get what and why you are complaining so much.

You could have handled this so much tidyer. This thread is just low.
    I think this thread will be closed down soon.

And I don't know what that abbreviations mean, so I can't say anything about it.

Are you taking the bulk of this post seriously? 95% of it is purely for humor. I know it's against the rules, and I know I was probably rightfully given infractions for it.

My serious question is why this is a significant issue. Look at the bottom in bold. That's the part where I was actually being serious. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Serated View Post
    Kind of hard to break a habit, mang. D:

NOT YOUR PROBLEM THOUGH
    Last edited by Scruffy; 06-07-2011 at 09:20 PM.

Senior Member SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
    Are you taking the bulk of this post seriously? 95% of it is purely for humor. I know it's against the rules, and I know I was probably rightfully given infractions for it.

My serious question is why this is a significant issue. Look at the bottom in bold. That's the part where I was actually being serious. :P
    Haha no I didn't understand that at all!! Name:  smile2.gif
Views: 17
Size:  152 Bytes
    But I am also extremly terrible at understanding things like that, takes jokes seriously and the other way around, all the time.

(double facepalm) -->
    Name:  whoco5.gif
Views: 12
Size:  2.1 KBName:  whoco5.gif
Views: 12
Size:  2.1 KB

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie

14. Likes Scruffy liked this post
    Moderator Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Be Mine Alfa Romeo Spider JTS Mario Blue Shell
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-12-2017 03:31 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Because you were the only one doing it. The nail that sticks out gets hammered.

Senior Member Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2016 04:10 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ericgamer1 View Post
    Self-censoring is still against the rules.
    This. You can ask Ace why it is against the rules. Eric just enforcers them, he doesn't make them.

17. Likes Aleyna liked this post
    Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuXrys View Post
    Haha no I didn't understand that at all!! Attachment 44654
    But I am also extremly terrible at understanding things like that, takes jokes seriously and the other way around, all the time.

(double facepalm) -->
    Attachment 44655Attachment 44655
    It's an honest mistake. No worries. :]

Senior Member Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-12-2014 08:06 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I known Eric for quite a while and he's a pretty nice guy, you must have really posted a lot of that stuff to get warned and iget an infraction also you could have always sent him a VM or PM asking why, right now you're make him look like the bad guy for doing his job. o_O;;
    人類は調和したのか?
    VY2V3 = Me | Kagamine Len Act 1 = You

Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
    It's an honest mistake. No worries. :]

Doesn't seem like Im the only one Name:  thumbsup.gif
Views: 2
Size:  1.4 KB
    Think you need to re-write your threadpost, or clarify what you actually mean
    in it Name:  09.gif
Views: 1
Size:  293 Bytes

Or maybe it's just me that can't understand when people are serious or not again... bah!
    Last edited by SuXrys; 06-07-2011 at 09:53 PM.

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie

Roarrrrrrrrrrr!
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Be Mine 143 - Snorlax Cookie
    Mentioned
    754 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-29-2016 11:05 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I understand sometimes it may be necessary to use some...uh...more forceful words to convey one's emotions, and I also understand you are not necessarily expressing any disrespect towards any particular individual, but this is the kind of rules that cannot be bent, unfortunately. =(

Swear words are swear words, no matter in what kind of context they are being used.

Senior Member DragonSoul has a reputation beyond repute DragonSoul has a reputation beyond repute DragonSoul has a reputation beyond repute DragonSoul has a reputation beyond repute DragonSoul has a reputation beyond repute DragonSoul has a reputation beyond repute DragonSoul has a reputation beyond repute DragonSoul has a reputation beyond repute DragonSoul has a reputation beyond repute DragonSoul has a reputation beyond repute DragonSoul has a reputation beyond repute DragonSoul's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts American Flag Ribbon One Piece Flag Mario Star
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2015 03:37 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Yeah Eric is a pretty cool.person you must of done.something to get.an infraction or a a warning

Copyright © 2013 FS FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD's Avatar
    Gil
    Lonely
    Gifts Fuuko Starfish Ice Cream Bamboo Cup
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-19-2023 07:16 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I will refrain to make an extended comment on this thread, but I'm locking it up because it's not a site issue, but rather an issue the thread starter should clear with themself and their parents.

*closed*

24. Likes Jose liked this post
    Dislikes Scruffy disliked this post
Closed Thread

Thread Information