AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windows 95 and Vista (Oh, the outdatedness!)

Mystic Nocturne Bird
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Gifts Dice D20 Soras Keyblade Photoshop
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-03-2010 10:59 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

Default Windows 95 and Vista (Oh, the outdatedness!)

Of all the systems to have, a 95 and Vista. Anyway...

I have an XP on the porch [which is missing NTLDR (New Technology Loader)] which now no longer boots up at when--either the cell battery has died, or when my dad decided to fiddle around--move components to his liking--it crashed. Now it's a porch ornament. That saddens me.

Next came my Vista [which was bought August of this year] It was perfectly.

My brother had a Windows 95 just sitting in his attic, so I decided to theive it from him. When I got home and hooked it up, a lovely message decided to make its way to the screen; himem.sys missing.

The first thing that popped into my mind was to go download himem.sys from a site onto a floppy then insert it into Windows 95; I forgot my Vista doesn't have a floppy drive, so I used one of my CDRW's. However, I'm wondering before I go do that, can Windows 95 read CDRW's?

If not, I'm pretty sure it won't read a Flashdrive; I can wait until January and do a sort of "cross downloading" at school--take my CDRW to school plus a floppy, put both in the computer and transfer files. I'd rather fix the system now.

After I get the system running I was going to transfer pictures from that computer to this computer, then hand them to my brother [since he wants to keep the pictures].

After I transfer all the pictures I was wondering can I install Vista onto 95?

Main Questions:
    • Is Windows 95 CDRW / Flashdrive compatible?
    • Can I install a floppy drive into Vista?
    • Can I install Vista into Windows 95?
    Sorry for the lengthyness.

With A Tip Of My Hat ///////// I Bid You Farewell

AF's Paranormalist Twig Ee has a reputation beyond repute Twig Ee has a reputation beyond repute Twig Ee has a reputation beyond repute Twig Ee has a reputation beyond repute Twig Ee has a reputation beyond repute Twig Ee has a reputation beyond repute Twig Ee has a reputation beyond repute Twig Ee has a reputation beyond repute Twig Ee has a reputation beyond repute Twig Ee has a reputation beyond repute Twig Ee has a reputation beyond repute Twig Ee's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2009 02:54 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: Paranormalist

I don't think the computer will be able to efficiently use vista since it is not designed for it. In fact, it might not let you download it.

I think the Vista PC will be able to take floppy discs but you'll have to find, buy, then install the Drive.

I don't think the 95 PC will be able to take the flash drive but I'm not the most advanced in this area so you'll have to seek other opinions.

Af's Paranormalist. Got a Question about the paranormal? PM i'll help.

HTC love MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-09-2009 12:42 AM
    Threads

With 95 you need to download the driver for your flash drive. You can get this from their site.

Mystic Nocturne Bird
    Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by Twig Ee
    I don't think the computer will be able to efficiently use vista since it is not designed for it. In fact, it might not let you download it.

I think the Vista PC will be able to take floppy discs but you'll have to find, buy, then install the Drive.

I don't think the 95 PC will be able to take the flash drive but I'm not the most advanced in this area so you'll have to seek other opinions.
    I know that Vista [or at least mine] has a compartment right below the E drive which I'm suspecting can be used for installing a floppy drive. I just don't want to unscrew the metal plating unless I know I can do that.

Since 95 is "ancient" I didn't think it could do CDRWs or flashdrives...however...

Quote Originally Posted by MomijiTMO
    With 95 you need to download the driver for your flash drive. You can get this from their site.
    Thanks, but at the moment the computer is down, and there really is no way to download the driver for 95 when there's no internet connection leading to 95; Flashdrive route is out, then. For now.

HTC love MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-09-2009 12:42 AM
    Threads

Oh as for hardware, you can install a floppy drive in vista. Easy as pie. It uses the FDD connector so your Vista rig will have one. Most mobos still have a FDD for some unknown reason. Of course make sure your pc is off before doing anything and don't forget to plug in the molex connector for power.
    Last edited by MomijiTMO; 12-24-2008 at 10:47 PM.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chocobo View Post
    Main Questions:
    I dunno about flash drive, and the system itself is fine with CDRW, it's your CD-Rom Drive that may or may not support it.

Certainly, and they are pretty cheap. If you want you can get a External drive, which is somewhat nicer if you don't feel like ripping your PC open.

Probably not, unless it's a fairly modern computer that had Win95 installed on it because your brother is a sadist.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Mystic Nocturne Bird
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by MP2K
    Probably not, unless it's a fairly modern computer that had Win95 installed on it because your brother is a sadist.
    Oh, hey! My brother is not a sadist...not when it comes to technology. It was actually his girlfriends. She isn't a gamer, so "as long as it's functional, why get a new one?"

Anyway [Robot Chicken is parodying Zelda. Ha.] sorry for the random comment. I just looked over and saw that.

I don't really mind being a computer surgeon, it just has to be done when my dad's gone, or he'll "tinker" with the parts and place things where they don't need to be.

Nonconfirmist Goatherder Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov's Avatar
    Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-20-2016 06:43 PM
    Threads

* Is Windows 95 CDRW / Flashdrive compatible?
    Windows 95 can read CDs no problem, and can write to them if you have the proper software installed.
    Only Windows 95 OSR 2.1 and OSR 2.5 support USB flashdrive. Earlier versions don't.

* Can I install a floppy drive into Vista?
    Yes!

* Can I install Vista into Windows 95?
    No! I'm assuming the computer came with Win95 preinstalled and thus won't meet the min requirements for Vista.

If you wanna learn an easy workable solution, that will turn the old Win95 computer into a usable computer capable of running newer software, please read on..

1. Go to http://damnsmalllinux.org/download.html
    2. From one of the mirrors download the iso file, it is free and legal
    3. Write the dsl-4.4.10.iso* to a CD, or a USB flash memory. Use UNetBootin to write the iso to USB flash memory. To write to a CD, any CD burning software should do.
    4. No setup or any changes to the hard disk, just insert the CD (or Flash), restart**, and in seconds you'll have a fully functioning environment
    5. DSL has very small requirements a 486 processor and 16MB RAM and comes with plenty of usable apps.
    6. Once done, remove the CD (or Flash) and restart, everything is back as it were, no changes to your computer.

* 4.4.10 is the latest release, the .iso file can carry a different name.
    ** Make sure your computer is setup to boot from CD (or Flash) first, some older computers might not be capable of booting from USB media.
    Last edited by Aizmov; 12-25-2008 at 01:00 PM.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post
    * Is Windows 95 CDRW / Flashdrive compatible?
    Windows 95 can read CDs no problem, and can write to them if you have the proper software installed.
    Only Windows 95 OSR 2.1 and OSR 2.5 support USB flashdrive. Earlier versions don't.

* Can I install a floppy drive into Vista?
    Yes!

* Can I install Vista into Windows 95?
    No! I'm assuming the computer came with Win95 preinstalled and thus won't meet the min requirements for Vista.

If you wanna learn an easy workable solution, that will turn the old Win95 computer into a usable computer capable of running newer software, please read on..

1. Go to http://damnsmalllinux.org/download.html
    2. From one of the mirrors download the iso file, it is free and legal
    3. Write the dsl-4.4.10.iso* to a CD, or a USB flash memory.
    4. No setup or any changes to the hard disk, just insert the CD (or Flash), restart**, and in seconds you'll have a fully functioning environment
    5. DSL has very small requirements a 486 processor and 16MB RAM and comes with plenty of usable apps.
    6. Once done, remove the CD (or Flash) and restart, everything is back as it were, no changes to your computer.

**INSERT LARGE OBNOXIOUS POINTLESS PICTURE HERE**

* 4.4.10 is the latest release, the .iso file can carry a different name.
    ** Make sure your computer is setup to boot from CD (or Flash) first, some older computers might not be capable of booting from USB media.
    DSL is not for beginners. Why don't you just save time and suggest they convert the Win95 PC into a large paperweight instead.
    Last edited by Manhattan_Project_2000; 12-25-2008 at 12:58 PM.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Nonconfirmist Goatherder Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov's Avatar
    Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan_Project_2000 View Post
    DSL is not for beginners. Why don't you just save time and suggest they convert the Win95 PC into a large paperweight instead.
    How so?
    I just burned the iso to a CD, restarted, and it was fully functional in no time.
    It is a LiveCD, no install, and no change to the HD, if it happens to not work, just eject the CD, no trace of DSL whatsoever.

I did have some trouble with DSL on some newer LCD flat screens, but on older hardware with old CRTs it should work, that what it was/is meant for.

Some resources that should be helpful:
    http://damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
    http://damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ
    Last edited by Aizmov; 12-25-2008 at 01:39 PM.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

How so?
    I just burned the iso to a CD, restarted, and it was fully functional in no time.
    It is a LiveCD, no install, and no change to the HD, if it happens to not work, just eject the CD, no trace of DSL whatsoever.

I did have some trouble with DSL on some newer LCD flat screens, but on older hardware with old CRTs it should work, that what it was/is meant for.

Some resources that should be helpful:
    http://damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
    http://damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ
    For the love of kittens, don't direct windows users to use anything other than ubuntu. Have you seen the Ubuntu forums? It's frickin' scorched earth. Don't you dare send them towards sensible distributions like Slackware or Gentoo. I want my untouchable eagle's nest of elitism to remain that way.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    For the love of kittens, don't direct windows users to use anything other than ubuntu. Have you seen the Ubuntu forums? It's frickin' scorched earth. Don't you dare send them towards sensible distributions like Slackware or Gentoo. I want my untouchable eagle's nest of elitism to remain that way.
    No You Didn't!
    Did you just compare DSL to Slackware or Gentoo!?

DSL is easy to use, just burn to CD and boot it, unlike some other distro where you need to compile the kernel yourself!
    Plus I don't think any flavor of Ubuntu would boot on a 10-year old computer.

On my computer it takes like three seconds from pressing <enter>, when prompted to at the welcome screen, to loading DSL and starting Firefox 2.

I'm gonna go as far as saying DSL is the easiest to use distro, provided your hardware is supported, and should be if it is 10 years old.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dsl_screen.jpg‎
Views:	19
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	23309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.jpg‎
Views:	18
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	23310  
    Last edited by Aizmov; 12-25-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Senior Member Mitchyru has a reputation beyond repute Mitchyru has a reputation beyond repute Mitchyru has a reputation beyond repute Mitchyru has a reputation beyond repute Mitchyru has a reputation beyond repute Mitchyru has a reputation beyond repute Mitchyru has a reputation beyond repute Mitchyru has a reputation beyond repute Mitchyru has a reputation beyond repute Mitchyru has a reputation beyond repute Mitchyru has a reputation beyond repute Mitchyru's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-03-2009 08:29 AM
    Threads

I don't think I have DSL...

But anyway, I have Windows XP, how old is that?
    SPARE A CLICK, PLEASE? c:

Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchyru View Post
    I don't think I have DSL...

But anyway, I have Windows XP, how old is that?
    By DSL I didn't mean Digital Subscriber Line, I mean an Operating System that it an alternative to Windows.
    Windows XP should be about 7 years and 2 months old. But what about your computer how old is it?
    The beauty of DSL is that you can try it without any side effect on your computer, it runs from CD or USB Flash memory and doesn't require an install.

Blathering Blatherskite Beezer has a reputation beyond repute Beezer has a reputation beyond repute Beezer has a reputation beyond repute Beezer has a reputation beyond repute Beezer has a reputation beyond repute Beezer has a reputation beyond repute Beezer has a reputation beyond repute Beezer has a reputation beyond repute Beezer has a reputation beyond repute Beezer has a reputation beyond repute Beezer has a reputation beyond repute Beezer's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-16-2009 05:51 PM
    Threads

What'd I'd do is buy a usb to ide adapter. You remove the harddrive fom the windows 95 computer and hook it up to the adapter. Once plugged into your vista computer it will treat the old HD as just a external drive. You can download the files you need to boot up and put them in the appropriate folders and retrieve the files you need with ease.

I bought This one and its cheap and comes in handy pretty often. Its good for computers with corrupted drives and boot problems. Its also handy to scan drives that are so riddled with viruses and spyware that you can't run any programs on them.

As for when your all done, you prolly couldn't install vista on a 95 machine due to it more than likely not meeting the minimum system hardware requirements. You might be able to install xp on it if you had a extra copy and the computers up to spec. If your up to the task of some linux, ubuntu is pretty easy to install and get running.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

No You Didn't!
    Did you just compare DSL to Slackware or Gentoo!?

DSL is easy to use, just burn to CD and boot it, unlike some other distro where you need to compile the kernel yourself!
    Plus I don't think any flavor of Ubuntu would boot on a 10-year old computer.

On my computer it takes like three seconds from pressing <enter>, when prompted to at the welcome screen, to loading DSL and starting Firefox 2.

I'm gonna go as far as saying DSL is the easiest to use distro, provided your hardware is supported, and should be if it is 10 years old.
    I didn't say it was hard to use, I said I don't want millions of clueless windows users to clutter up the discussion boards and IRC channels related to it with trivial questions.

Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I didn't say it was hard to use, I said I don't want millions of clueless windows users to clutter up the discussion boards and IRC channels related to it with trivial questions.
    Then switch to OpenBSD
    GNU/Linux is now mainstream

Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Then switch to OpenBSD
    GNU/Linux is now mainstream
    Nah. Slackware will always be an impenetrable fortress for people who share my ideas of how a system should be. It's level of user friendliness has been likened to a coiled rattlesnake, and that's exactly how I like it. I'm actually in Gnome typing this though, but that's only because I'm doing GTK+-coding. Soon I will be back in blackbox-0.65, and all will be well again.
    Last edited by Eris; 12-25-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I'm actually in Gnome typing this though, but that's only because I'm doing GTK+-coding. Soon I will be back in blackbox-0.65, and all will be well again.
    Of all the lightweight WMs, Fluxbox is my favorite, but I hate editing text files

Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Of all the lightweight WMs, Fluxbox is my favorite, but I hate editing text files
    I think fluxbox is bloated. So is new blackbox. The only WM I like is blackbox 0.65. It is the pinnacle of WM design.

Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I think fluxbox is bloated. So is new blackbox. The only WM I like is blackbox 0.65. It is the pinnacle of WM design.
    Then you should be glad you aren't using Aqua or Aero

Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Then you should be glad you aren't using Aqua or Aero
    The names virtually ooze anti-aliased fonts, transparency, menu shadows and other evils straight out of hell.

Senior Member Renegade of Life has a reputation beyond repute Renegade of Life has a reputation beyond repute Renegade of Life has a reputation beyond repute Renegade of Life has a reputation beyond repute Renegade of Life has a reputation beyond repute Renegade of Life has a reputation beyond repute Renegade of Life has a reputation beyond repute Renegade of Life has a reputation beyond repute Renegade of Life has a reputation beyond repute Renegade of Life has a reputation beyond repute Renegade of Life has a reputation beyond repute Renegade of Life's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-26-2008 05:16 PM
    Threads

I have an XP on the porch [which is missing NTLDR (New Technology Loader)] which now no longer boots up at when--either the cell battery has died, or when my dad decided to fiddle around--move components to his liking--it crashed. Now it's a porch ornament. That saddens me.

NTLDR is part of the boot strap for Windows XP, if you have a CD for it you probably could reinstall the boot sequence and repair that system fairly easily.

My brother had a Windows 95 just sitting in his attic, so I decided to theive it from him. When I got home and hooked it up, a lovely message decided to make its way to the screen; himem.sys missing.

The first thing that popped into my mind was to go download himem.sys from a site onto a floppy then insert it into Windows 95; I forgot my Vista doesn't have a floppy drive, so I used one of my CDRW's. However, I'm wondering before I go do that, can Windows 95 read CDRW's?

Windows 95 would identify it as a CD-ROM, however if it can read CDRWs or not depends on the age of the drive it uses. The CD Drives that existed when Windows 95 was new were unable to read anything other than CDROM and CDR.

On the other hand, USB external floppy drives that Vista would support can be had for only $40 or so, but it seems to me that if the windows 95 system is missing files it will have other problems when resurrected. The files themselves I could provide you with, since I know where on the internet to go about obtaining them.

If not, I'm pretty sure it won't read a Flashdrive; I can wait until January and do a sort of "cross downloading" at school--take my CDRW to school plus a floppy, put both in the computer and transfer files. I'd rather fix the system now.

After I get the system running I was going to transfer pictures from that computer to this computer, then hand them to my brother [since he wants to keep the pictures].

This could be accomplished just as well using a DOS boot disc, followed by a couple of floppies or an older model external hard drive with DOS mode drivers.

After I transfer all the pictures I was wondering can I install Vista onto 95?

Negative, Vista would absolutely murder a system built for Windows 95. I would not take that beyond Windows 98 due to the hardware not being nearly as powerful. Linux might be the best option for it unless an original 95 or 98 setup disc set is available.

Main Questions:
    By itself, Windows 95 is not. However, it is likely with some tinkering it could be made to support it if you can find all the software necessary.

Windows Vista should support a floppy drive all by itself if you get one of suitable hardware interface, though newer systems don't always have the mainboard connector for one so an external would be a good idea.

Installing Vista onto a computer intended for Windows 95 will almost certainly kill it, I advise against such procedure if it even will let you do it.

Here at the place where our love reached it's climax, I leave behind a broken heart torn to pieces by fate.

Merry Christmas.

Senior Member Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pokedex 025 - Pikachu
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2012 01:07 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Well you have a pretty good thing going there but the only thing that may keep you from installing Vista is the fact that you need to upgrade a lot of hardware in your computer first.
    For example you will need to search the web for drivers for all of your compoents. But most 95 computers I know of do not have the required specs to run Vista but you can try it anyway
    Oh and I am pretty technical so feel free to pm me if you need help or want to ask a quition on how to do something
    Gero Server Guru

Mystic Nocturne Bird
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

Meeeh.

I got the 95 up and running O_o I had the diskette to install himem.SYS, but it booted up just fine without it, for once. I guess it felt threatened.

I enjoyed it more as a paperweight, but I guess it'll due if I ever need to type a paper for school or write a fanfic and my dad refuses to leave the computer. Besides that, I hate Vista >_>

I could try installing XP if that's plausible.

Closed Thread

Thread Information