AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Digimon Adventure - Butter-fly

Junior Member tsubasa92 is on a distinguished road tsubasa92's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-01-2011 02:08 AM
    User Info
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Digimon Adventure - Butter-fly

I've double-checked with the official kanji lyrics in the Digimon S1 opening, and here are 2 mistakes I've spotted:

1) "行こう" is niikou, not yukou.
    2) "愛しい" is tonoshii, not itoshii.

Roarrrrrrrrrrr!
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Be Mine 143 - Snorlax Cookie
    Mentioned
    754 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-29-2016 11:05 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Re: Digimon Adventure - Butter-fly

I listened to the song, and:

行こう is part of the 会いに行こう construction, so it is ai ni yukou. The ni you hear is the particle in front of yukou, not part of the word.

For 愛しい I hear itoshii very clearly, so I'm not sure where you got "tonoshii" from...

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    User Info
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Hmm, I see. I'm not too sure, but the official kanji lyrics is shown at the bottom in the opening, and there are kanas are indicated at the top of certain kanji words. I made a mistake for the first one (it's ikou, sorry!), but the kana spelled above 愛 in 愛しい is との. I agree with you that in the song it's sung as itoshii...I wonder why it's spelled differently in the official lyrics?

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts Clannad Botan Snowman Neko Tv
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2020 10:22 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: rizuchan01 PSN ID: rizuchan01 Steam ID: rizuchan

Quote Originally Posted by tsubasa92 View Post
    Hmm, I see. I'm not too sure, but the official kanji lyrics is shown at the bottom in the opening, and there are kanas are indicated at the top of certain kanji words. I made a mistake for the first one (it's ikou, sorry!), but the kana spelled above 愛 in 愛しい is との. I agree with you that in the song it's sung as itoshii...I wonder why it's spelled differently in the official lyrics?
    Is this the part you're talking about?

As far as I can see, it says "itoshii".

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    User Info
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Thanks for the clarification! Mine's not HD, so it's kinda blur.

Junior Member RndUser is on a distinguished road RndUser's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-02-2017 08:23 PM
    Threads

I found a mistake in the romaji lyrics: The 7th paragraph starts with "Mugendai no" but the Kanji lyrics say "無限大" so it should be "mugendai na" as in all other paragraphs.

Also, shouldn't "mugendai na" be written as one word because it's an adjective?

無限大 (mugendai) = infinity, endlessness
    無限大な (mugendaina) = infinite, endless

7. Thanks EJTranslations thanked for this post
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-25-2020 10:24 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: xenographer Steam ID: xen0glossy

Thanks; I've fixed where it says "no" instead of "na." In the future, it would be helpful if you could provide a link to the lyrics on the site.

Word spacing in transliterations of Japanese is not an exact science, so to a certain extent it's just stylistic preferences that we don't adhere to a single standard on. If the transliterator is inconsistent about spacing choices (for example, writing "mugendaina" in some places and "mugendai na" in others), then that's something that can be corrected, and there are some things that are definitely wrong, like separating verb endings from the verb stem, but other than that we don't mess with that stuff.

Junior Member RndUser is on a distinguished road RndUser's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-02-2017 08:23 PM
    Threads

The OP didn't post a link to the lyrics so I thought it was not necessary. I'll try to keep it in mind for future posts.

I found out that "mugendai na" is correct, because mugendai can be a noun or an adjective (wtf) and "na" is used to inflect the adjective, see here.

AnimeLyrics Admin
    EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-25-2020 10:24 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: xenographer Steam ID: xen0glossy

Quote Originally Posted by RndUser View Post
    The OP didn't post a link to the lyrics so I thought it was not necessary. I'll try to keep it in mind for future posts.

I found out that "mugendai na" is correct, because mugendai can be a noun or an adjective (wtf) and "na" is used to inflect the adjective, see here.
    Thank you, I am well aware of the fact that some nouns can become adjectivized with the use of the particle "na." I am sure all the past AL.com admins who helped establish the guidelines on what we consider an error and what we consider a stylistic choice were also aware of this, as it's fairly basic Japanese grammar. Our policy continues to be that whether to use (e.g.) "mugendai na" or "mugendaina" is up to each translator's preference as long as that translator keeps their styling consistent within the same song.

Closed Thread

Thread Information