AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any Oldies? (Circa 2002.)

TAWIM's KinKiEst buddy :3 Vincent Valentine has a reputation beyond repute Vincent Valentine has a reputation beyond repute Vincent Valentine has a reputation beyond repute Vincent Valentine has a reputation beyond repute Vincent Valentine has a reputation beyond repute Vincent Valentine has a reputation beyond repute Vincent Valentine has a reputation beyond repute Vincent Valentine has a reputation beyond repute Vincent Valentine has a reputation beyond repute Vincent Valentine has a reputation beyond repute Vincent Valentine has a reputation beyond repute Vincent Valentine's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2017 09:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Question Any Oldies? (Circa 2002.)

It may seem like a trivial thing to some, but I have some fond memories of this site and what it once was – Especially the chatroom. I was curious to see if anyone from those days gone by still lurked or existed in some form here in 2017.

My last "activity" on this site was back in 2006. I registered for a forum account in 2002. (I was using the chatroom itself prior to 2002, however.)

The first chat moniker I used was OneWingedAngel, which then evolved into Vincent Valentine.

There's a fairly blatant theme to the naming sense, there.

Regardless, I was quite shocked to see what had happened here. By complete chance, abandoned memories popped into my head out of seemingly nowhere, I looked up "tuxedomask.com" via search engine, recalled my username and (miraculously) my password – But my goodness, I wasn't prepared for this at all. To put it succinctly, it was like entering an abandoned city.

Certainly, I can see signs of life here, but it was nothing remotely close to how I remember it. The place was practically buzzing with activity back in the day, and it was even more disheartening to enter the chatroom (which I recall had incarnations between a few different partnered sites) and it was completely empty besides myself. I could practically hear the virtual echo.

The forum looks fairly identical to how I remember it, but the chatroom is completely unrecognisable to me. I seem to remember that a lot of the user base was migrating to some sort of beta chatroom service (RealChat?) at some stage, but the memories are so hazy that I cannot clarify that.

I still recognise certain people here, but to some extent, it is like having digital prosopagnosia. Just a blur.

Forgive me for sounding so downbeat, and I'm certainly not attempting to troll or belittle the community that still exists here.

I'm just someone who cannot resist the allure of nostalgia.

2. Likes Tetsanosuke, Anime Forum liked this post
    Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Any Oldies? (Circa 2002.)

They use a discord now. Don't ask me why they keep that extra chatroom open still on that other tab, though it doesn't shock me.

Yeah, anime forum is done. Its quite sad, but its never going to gain activity again and that's due to staff/moderation mistakes, laziness and better anime websites/forums existing. Anime Forum's decline has nothing to do with forums losing activity (that is a misconception since other forums are still active), its just the site is clearly outdated and inferior to those forums and blame goes on the lack of urgency to make it better. The decline started around 2010 and I and others warned people it would end up like this, but not many listened.

No offense to Kaitou Ace though. He's a great guy and I have been really hard on this forum in the past (for good reason mind you). I don't remember you, but welcome back!
    Last edited by Anime Forum; 01-31-2017 at 05:55 PM.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

4. Thanks Vincent Valentine thanked for this post
    Likes Tetsanosuke liked this post
    TAWIM's KinKiEst buddy :3 Vincent Valentine has a reputation beyond repute Vincent Valentine has a reputation beyond repute Vincent Valentine has a reputation beyond repute Vincent Valentine has a reputation beyond repute Vincent Valentine has a reputation beyond repute Vincent Valentine has a reputation beyond repute Vincent Valentine has a reputation beyond repute Vincent Valentine has a reputation beyond repute Vincent Valentine has a reputation beyond repute Vincent Valentine has a reputation beyond repute Vincent Valentine has a reputation beyond repute Vincent Valentine's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Talking Re: Any Oldies? (Circa 2002.)

Quote Originally Posted by Anime Forum View Post
    They use a discord now. Don't ask me why they keep that extra chatroom open still on that other tab, though it doesn't shock me.

Yeah, anime forum is done. Its quite sad, but its never going to gain activity again and that's due to staff/moderation mistakes, laziness and better anime websites/forums existing. Anime Forum's decline has nothing to do with forums losing activity (that is a misconception since other forums are still active), its just the site is clearly outdated and inferior to those forums and blame goes on the lack of urgency to make it better. The decline started around 2010 and I and others warned people it would end up like this, but not many listened.

No offense to Kaitou Ace though. He's a great guy and I have been really hard on this forum in the past (for good reason mind you). I don't remember you, but welcome back!
    I actually did a little bit of "research" before posting, and yes, you certainly seem to have had a hard time of it on a personal level. You've taken a stance of being honest in regard to the decline and degradation of the site though you've been polite in voicing that opinion every single time. I'm still amazed that someone was trying to keep things aflame so to speak, so your story and attempts were not futile ones to someone like me who views this place through rose-tinted lenses.

It's not the first time I've heard of Discord, but honestly speaking, I miss the whole browser based Flashchat thing. I've been using an unrelated roleplay site's chatroom on and off for a number of years because I'm just terribly transfixed on reliving something that has essentially dissipated over time. Call me ridiculous, but I miss the nonsensical fantasies of chatroom families, clans and the likes. The more I think about it, and with the way forums are essentially dying out entirely with the advent/success and propagation of social media, Reddit and the likes, I suppose even these currently popular things will eventually cease being relevant and be replaced by other forms of virtual interaction.

Virtual reality is in it's relative infancy, but I don't believe it is mere science-fiction fantasy that individuals will likely be interacting in virtual worlds someday under whatever guise they see fit.

Avatars, signatures and typing via keyboard will be practical relics by that stage, I'd wager. Frankly, MAL and GameFAQ's look like veritable relics to me now.

Thank you for answering this, though. You might not remember me, and I'm not surprised at all by that, but even "walking" around this place is vaguely therapeutic. The amount of missed connections and long-forgotten contacts that existed here for me over a decade ago practically make my head spin.

6. Thanks Anime Forum thanked for this post
    Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

@Vincent Valentine - Thank you so much! ^.^

Yeah. I know I am hated here and I know people likely have talked about me behind my back. I've been called obsessed and a lady and other things, but I keep my head up high knowing all of it is untrue since I am highly respected and liked everywhere else I have visited. I will admit, I haven't been perfect here and have trolled from time to time, but all of it was my attempt to give this site character. I really cared about this website and wish it didn' fall this far apart.

There were ways to save this forum. It just wasn't meant to be!

If you're interested, check out myanimelist. Its a very active community full of bright characters! If not, it was nice to hear from an oldie and somebody who actually put effort in their post. If you want to stick around, I'd support it.

My word was changed to lady.. Guess its a banned word XD

8. Likes Vincent Valentine liked this post
    Senior Member Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Gifts Silver Ribbon Four Leaf Clover Teal Ribbon
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-08-2019 02:20 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: aspirantgarde

You'll still find some of us here! I wouldn't say we linger in massive droves by any stretch of the imagination, but we're here and, likely, just as attached to nostalgia as yourself. I still love this place.

I remember when tuxedomask's format changed. I got back from a long trip and had to make an account to log into the new site. That was back in 2004, as you can see. Great to see an old face, but to be honest, I don't think we spoke previously. As you recall, it was a very busy place and that's understandable.

As for @Anime Forum , I truthfully never heard the slurs about you. Sure, I saw an altercation or two in posts, but that was about it. Your name is quite intact with me.

10. Thanks Anime Forum thanked for this post
    Likes Tetsanosuke, Vincent Valentine liked this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Red face Re: Any Oldies? (Circa 2002.)

@Vincent Valentine - Thank you so much! ^.^

Yeah. I know I am hated here and I know people likely have talked about me behind my back. I've been called obsessed and a lady and other things, but I keep my head up high knowing all of it is untrue since I am highly respected and liked everywhere else I have visited. I will admit, I haven't been perfect here and have trolled from time to time, but all of it was my attempt to give this site character. I really cared about this website and wish it didn' fall this far apart.

There were ways to save this forum. It just wasn't meant to be!

If you're interested, check out myanimelist. Its a very active community full of bright characters! If not, it was nice to hear from an oldie and somebody who actually put effort in their post. If you want to stick around, I'd support it.

My word was changed to lady.. Guess its a banned word XD
    If that's the case, I'm certainly sorry to hear it. You can really sense the emotion in some of your posts regarding the state of affairs, and the "character" people seem to object to actually does serve the intended purpose. It is entirely reminiscent of what made these sites a success back then – People screwing around and saying abstract things.

On the subject, that sort of "character" seems to be a pretty ordinary thing online now. Lots of forums I've witnessed/lurked at in the modern day are more likely to turn against the people who are too sensitive as opposed to those who don't take the proceedings too seriously. Those who misconstrue light-hearted bashing as genuine hatred become objects of ridicule.

Maybe this place just became steadily more irrelevant due to the evolution of the anime fandom itself. Back when this place was a huge thing, most people were watching English dubbed Sailor Moon/Dragon Ball Z on CRT televisions. Dial-Up Internet was pretty much the norm, so the concept of downloading an entire series fansubbed was just a pipedream as far as I'm concerned. Then Adult Swim became a thing, anime became relatively mainstream and now you can buy pretty much anything in it's entirety on DVD and Blu-Ray – Not to mention take advantage of streaming services like Crunchyroll which often simulcasts currently airing anime to circumvent piracy. It doesn't hurt that we also don't have to wait several years for a series to be released in the West due to that business model.

I tried MAL for a bit, but I kind of slipped out of that, too. It might be an idea, but unfortunately, MAL doesn't have the nostalgia factor going for it in my case.

I'll do my best to engage here for now. It's the first time I've participated in a forum for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Cross Avantgarde View Post
    You'll still find some of us here! I wouldn't say we linger in massive droves by any stretch of the imagination, but we're here and, likely, just as attached to nostalgia as yourself. I still love this place.

I remember when tuxedomask's format changed. I got back from a long trip and had to make an account to log into the new site. That was back in 2004, as you can see. Great to see an old face, but to be honest, I don't think we spoke previously. As you recall, it was a very busy place and that's understandable.

As for @Anime Forum , I truthfully never heard the slurs about you. Sure, I saw an altercation or two in posts, but that was about it. Your name is quite intact with me.
    Actually, now you mention it, I vaguely recall that. I didn't have an account at all once upon a time, but as you said, it must have became mandatory at some stage. I also seem to remember there was at least three or so different chatrooms that pertained to different partner/offshoot sites, though that could simply be a case of mistaken memory.

I don't think we spoke, but certainly, that was a case of how absolutely bustling it was. Also, timezones played a factor – I suppose they still do.

@Anime Forum seems to have struggled a lot over an unenviable period of time. It's fine for someone like me to swagger in after eleven years and lament: "Oh, look at how dead it is!", but to be on the frontline this entire time should be a sure sign of dedication to any naysayers.
    Last edited by Vincent Valentine; 01-31-2017 at 07:35 PM.

12. Likes Anime Forum liked this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cross Avantgarde View Post

Thank you so much!

I have always liked your posts and that's what is missing from the current gen of AF users - Quality replies and interaction that shows we're a community. Hope you don't leave!

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

@Vincent Valentine - I'm glad to hear you might stay around because people like you are people I can relate and respect far easier because your posts don't seem robotic to me. That's one issue I have with the current state of this forum:

Everybody takes things far too seriously and their posts come off as robotic. Besides @PictureGuy , I hardly know any of the current users and moderators because none of their posts stand out. That may come off as rude and ignorant to say, but I believe a community is only as good as its userbase.

Though, enough of the website bashing. Glad you decided to login because this is the most interested and entertained I have been on AF in years.

Ace Kaitous YOU Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Hat Rayman Baboon With A Gun Bioshock Syringe
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-23-2024 09:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: kaitou ace42 PSN ID: kaitou42 Steam ID: kaitou_ace

Still here of course.

The chat wasn't flash, worse, it was Java, and the way it went we were forced to make our own, though yes, it's a fair bit quieter on the site overall these days.

Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Unhappy Re: Any Oldies? (Circa 2002.)

Thank you so much!

I have always liked your posts and that's what is missing from the current gen of AF users - Quality replies and interaction that shows we're a community. Hope you don't leave!

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

@Vincent Valentine - I'm glad to hear you might stay around because people like you are people I can relate and respect far easier because your posts don't seem robotic to me. That's one issue I have with the current state of this forum:

Everybody takes things far too seriously and their posts come off as robotic. Besides @PictureGuy , I hardly know any of the current users and moderators because none of their posts stand out. That may come off as rude and ignorant to say, but I believe a community is only as good as its userbase.

Though, enough of the website bashing. Glad you decided to login because this is the most interested and entertained I have been on AF in years.
    Well, now the formalities are dealt with, any element of robotics can be utterly eliminated!

I can't offer an opinion in regard to the state of people's personalities or level of personal expression as of yet, though I think every community is going to get "that one guy" who spams relentlessly, ruffles people's feathers and commits a bunch of faux pas – All unbeknownst to them, as they react with the naivete of an old-timey cartoon character when confronted.

I've seen some pretty terrible things over the years, but even I was a complete idiot once. I've read some of my (decade) old posts, and I cannot even fathom that the individual in question was me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou Ace View Post
    Still here of course.

The chat wasn't flash, worse, it was Java, and the way it went we were forced to make our own, though yes, it's a fair bit quieter on the site overall these days.
    Every internet communal I ever once had any sort of affection for seems to have gone the same way. Back then, forums, chatrooms and instant messengers went hand in hand – Now, MSN is dead, YIM is dead, AIM is unrecognisable to me and Skype seems to be constantly riddled with location specific spam advertisements.

As far as finding a chatroom/messenger that is active? It seems Discord is the only option. It's certainly better than nothing at all, which could be said for this forum, also.

Pretty Girl Swag Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio's Avatar
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Gifts 025 - Pikachu Capricorn 006 - Charizard
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2017 02:00 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Corbin-Domina Steam ID: Kronus_Moon

Acey you live! <3 <3<3

I do miss the old days. 2004 - 2008 were literally the best years of my internet life. I made life long friends here and I wish it was as it was back then. Chat was my favorite place, and I've honestly never done a lot of forum posting. When I do I tend to stick in my own little forum. I do feel that is has been less active and my attempts to get people more involved have not necessarily worked out. I do really enjoy when Chat gets back together for a day or two.

As for Anime Forum, I've seen you around and aside from a few spats I don't really have any negative memories of you.

My Sun and Stars
    Moon of my life

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

Someone ask for an old fogey?

Ah, welcome back Vincent. It's been a long time since we've butted heads. lol I doubt I can even properly RP Fight anymore, though I wasn't that great back then either.

I know the chat now isn't like the old RealChat client you're used to, but all the old functions still remain if you remember the text codes for them. //1, //4, //15, you get the idea. Still there's a lot more functions to play with too, but mostly every one have moved their convo's to the AF server on Discord.
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Red face Re: Any Oldies? (Circa 2002.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kleio View Post
    I do miss the old days. 2004 - 2008 were literally the best years of my internet life. I made life long friends here and I wish it was as it was back then. Chat was my favorite place, and I've honestly never done a lot of forum posting. When I do I tend to stick in my own little forum. I do feel that is has been less active and my attempts to get people more involved have not necessarily worked out. I do really enjoy when Chat gets back together for a day or two.
    That actually happens?

Probably explains why you kept pinging me before, huh!

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade/13.666 View Post
    Someone ask for an old fogey?

Ah, welcome back Vincent. It's been a long time since we've butted heads. lol I doubt I can even properly RP Fight anymore, though I wasn't that great back then either.

I know the chat now isn't like the old RealChat client you're used to, but all the old functions still remain if you remember the text codes for them. //1, //4, //15, you get the idea. Still there's a lot more functions to play with too, but mostly every one have moved their convo's to the AF server on Discord.
    I've moved to the AF server on Discord too, though I've been lurking on the chatroom here just for the sake of it. I suppose I'm expecting some grand surprise to pop up.

As far as the text "fighting" stuff went, I can only say that I never took it that seriously, though I was amazed recently when searching the net that people actually made forums discussing "fighters" on RealChat! I was quite fascinated/struck by a bout of cringing.

It was literally along the lines of: "DragonKingGoku was the best fighter, he could type so fast! But VampireLordRanma was even faster!"

I made the dialogue/names up, but you get the picture. Haha.
    Last edited by Vincent Valentine; 02-01-2017 at 06:51 PM.

Pretty Girl Swag Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio has a reputation beyond repute Kleio's Avatar
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Oh God, the RP fights. Those were the days. We were all terrible. Deathy we should start an rp thread on facebook for the nostalgia alone.

But yeah Vinny, every so often someone on Facebook (it was me last time, I think) will get all sad and we all pick a weekend to log on and visit. It's loads of fun.

My Sun and Stars
    Moon of my life

Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Smile Re: Any Oldies? (Circa 2002.)

Oh God, the RP fights. Those were the days.
    They were hitting autism levels that shouldn't ever have been possible.

But yeah Vinny, every so often someone on Facebook (it was me last time, I think) will get all sad and we all pick a weekend to log on and visit. It's loads of fun.
    I can only imagine what that'd be like. Getting some serious "class reunion" vibes. Haha.

Senior Member Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Been here since 2006.
    月の光は愛のメッセージ

22. Likes Tetsanosuke liked this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Smile Re: Any Oldies? (Circa 2002.)

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Digital Moonlight View Post
    Been here since 2006.
    As far as timing goes, I literally must have just missed you since I haven't been back since 2006.

It's kind of amazing though. 11 years. Wow.

24. Likes Miss Moonlight liked this post
    Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Valentine View Post
    I've moved to the AF server on Discord too, though I've been lurking on the chatroom here just for the sake of it. I suppose I'm expecting some grand surprise to pop up.

As far as the text "fighting" stuff went, I can only say that I never took it that seriously, though I was amazed recently when searching the net that people actually made forums discussing "fighters" on RealChat! I was quite fascinated/struck by a bout of cringing.

It was literally along the lines of: "DragonKingGoku was the best fighter, he could type so fast! But VampireLordRanma was even faster!"

I made the dialogue/names up, but you get the picture. Haha.
    lol I can laugh now, but thinking back to the early days before the Chat was moved to AF I'm not surprised. I know folks like Raven (Kyu-something or another?) were hardcore about it. So hardcore they had like 3-5 different formats to text fight in. @.@;; And if you typo'd that nulled the whole action (where I usually failed due to trying to type fast).

And @Kleio , I'll look into it. I don't know if I can make a thread on FB, but I can at least make a post people can comment on.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Unhappy Re: Any Oldies? (Circa 2002.)

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade/13.666 View Post
    lol I can laugh now, but thinking back to the early days before the Chat was moved to AF I'm not surprised. I know folks like Raven (Kyu-something or another?) were hardcore about it. So hardcore they had like 3-5 different formats to text fight in. @.@;; And if you typo'd that nulled the whole action (where I usually failed due to trying to type fast).
    I can thank my early days using forums & chatrooms for the fact I've been blessed with the gift of swift typing, which has been a boon career wise, but I never once found roleplay fighting interesting at all.

Flirting with girls? Absolutely. Reenacting Dragon Ball Z episodes? Not so much.

Typing/copy pasting as fast as you can really didn't strike me as being particularly insightful, creative or worthy of "respect." I'm sure I don't even need to mention the term God Moding/Modding, but there you go.

I don't doubt it was important to some people, and it likely still is, but it simply struck me as a waste of valuable time. I won't lie and say I never participated in it, but it was the last thing on my mind as far as using the chat went.

However, I can confirm that it still exists in some form! I noticed it being done on a roleplay chat site recently, and I couldn't bring myself to join the room and look ... I honestly cringe just thinking about it.
    Last edited by Vincent Valentine; 02-02-2017 at 10:42 PM.

27. Likes DeathBlade/13.666 liked this post
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

That's what I meant Mika!! I'll think up something ridiculous for us to rp and I'll tag you in it! It will be such fun! The only downside is that I'm updated my app and it's being utterly stupid with the notifications.

My Sun and Stars
    Moon of my life

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

That's what I meant Mika!! I'll think up something ridiculous for us to rp and I'll tag you in it! It will be such fun! The only downside is that I'm updated my app and it's being utterly stupid with the notifications.
    lol Okay, let's see how it goes. And yeah, I'm really not feeling the FB app anymore. It's so bad that it's starting to make IE9 seem more useful. I'd rather just log in on the mobile browser and go from there.

The Poet Sword Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-28-2019 05:06 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

2006'er here. Now just a fairweather lurker, I used to be all over the place in my early years here. Posted oodles of my poetry here. Forum roleplaying evolved into chatroom roleplaying which further evolved into tabletop roleplaying... But could never get back into the former two. My muse for it left, pouring into other things.

Just knocking on the door and saying "I exist", sharing in the nostalgia.

Perhaps the world was never meant to make perfect sense.

31. Likes Vincent Valentine liked this post
    Lady Shaorin's Soulmate Tasuke has a reputation beyond repute Tasuke has a reputation beyond repute Tasuke has a reputation beyond repute Tasuke has a reputation beyond repute Tasuke has a reputation beyond repute Tasuke has a reputation beyond repute Tasuke has a reputation beyond repute Tasuke has a reputation beyond repute Tasuke has a reputation beyond repute Tasuke has a reputation beyond repute Tasuke has a reputation beyond repute Tasuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Enterprise NCC 1701-B
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-14-2023 07:58 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Forum Noob here, more or less, in and out since the late-2008. been an Anime fan since around 1994...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information