AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Existentialistic crisis... Where do I go now?

Senior Member Tolle has a reputation beyond repute Tolle has a reputation beyond repute Tolle has a reputation beyond repute Tolle has a reputation beyond repute Tolle has a reputation beyond repute Tolle has a reputation beyond repute Tolle has a reputation beyond repute Tolle has a reputation beyond repute Tolle has a reputation beyond repute Tolle has a reputation beyond repute Tolle has a reputation beyond repute Tolle's Avatar
    Gil
    Psychadelic
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-19-2012 03:55 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Question Existentialistic crisis... Where do I go now?

This is a shot in the dark, but I'm guessing that I'm not the only who's experienced this:

You watch a load of good anime, like it, find new animes and keep on watching awesome anime. But then, suddenly, you realize that you've reached the end of the road (or so it seems) and you're having a hard time deciding where to go next. The most obvious choices have all been used and you're in a situation where you know that you want to watch anime, but unlike before, there's nothing in queue. The list of animes you've had as your "next to watch" is empty and you don't see any obvious choices coming up at the moment.

What do?

It's more or less my current situation. I have a few animes that I find interesting, which seem worth watching - but I don't feel like I have any fool-proof like-able animes lying around like I usually do.

So once again - what does one do in this situation? xD

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Default Re: Existentialistic crisis... Where do I go now?

First of all, the plural of anime is anime. Not "animes".

Have you tried taking a break? Just don't watch any anime for a few weeks, and then come back to it and you might be interested in something you otherwise may not have been. Oh, trying watching an older series that you haven't seen before - something from the 70s or 80s, for example.

You could also start reading some manga. The vast, vast majority of manga are not animated, and therefore you (you strike me as primarily an anime-watcher) probably don't know about.

This sort of thing happened to me the first time I watched Gurren Lagann, and it took me two months to find something I felt like watching because TTGL was such a rush that most things just didn't compare.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Senior Member Tolle has a reputation beyond repute Tolle has a reputation beyond repute Tolle has a reputation beyond repute Tolle has a reputation beyond repute Tolle has a reputation beyond repute Tolle has a reputation beyond repute Tolle has a reputation beyond repute Tolle has a reputation beyond repute Tolle has a reputation beyond repute Tolle has a reputation beyond repute Tolle has a reputation beyond repute Tolle's Avatar
    Gil
    Psychadelic
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

First of, thank you for the correction :P I'm actually not sure why I would write both "animes" and "anime" in the same sentence, since the last "anime" was intended as plural as well :3

The "taking a break" thing is a problematic solution, since it's not like I want to stop watching - I just want to watch the good ones. And what manga is concerned, I think I'll need more time before I will start reading it. As of now, it's under the category "bad aura".

Lastly, is Gurren Lagann worth watching? I've heard people saying it's the best out there and others telling me it's basically about some dudes throwing galaxies at each other. So I'm really not sure whether or not to watch it o.O

In any case - thanks for your reply :3

☆*:.。. UGUU .。.:*☆ nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL's Avatar
    Gil
    Yeehaw
    Gifts Chibi Crisis Moon Compact 039 - Jigglypuff Neko Tv
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-14-2013 01:50 PM
    Threads

play gamu, read mango, troll teh internetz, fap, rewatch what you watched
    etc
    etc

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

From my personal experience, once you get to that point, what you can do is to keep an eye out as much as possible for new releases, and importantly, try to find someone you can discuss them with. There's a certain joy in "finding" and following an ongoing series in real time by yourself which you can't get by going through an acknowledged "must-see-list". Of course, for every one gem there are about a couple thousand newly released anime that are straight-out garbage you have to plough through, which is why it's good to have someone to rave or rant about what to follow or not follow.
    Last edited by Datenshi; 08-25-2011 at 06:59 AM.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Senior Member Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Orange Dango Bioshock Eve Soul Eater Logo
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-06-2012 05:34 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Haha that's me after finishing a good anime. You think that there won't ever be an anime as good as the one you watched.
    Usually when I run out of anime I just switch genres. Recently I went from anime like G.T.O., NHK ni Youkoso and Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom to Lucky Star, Azumanga Daioh and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei to Clannad, Toradora!, Itazura na Kiss and Kimi ni Todoke
    Senjougahara Fascination

Gil
    Psychadelic
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by nathanrommi
    play gamu, read mango, troll teh internetz, fap, rewatch what you watched
    etc
    etc
    Ehhh xD Gaming is basically what I do, besides watching animu. Mango is not really me (yet, at least) and fapping only takes like.. what.. 30 seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
    Haha that's me after finishing a good anime. You think that there won't ever be an anime as good as the one you watched.
    Usually when I run out of anime I just switch genres. Recently I went from anime like G.T.O., NHK ni Youkoso and Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom to Lucky Star, Azumanga Daioh and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei to Clannad, Toradora!, Itazura na Kiss and Kimi ni Todoke
    I can totally relate to this one though xD But my round-about is more of a gradual switch of genre. Take for example Lucky Star. I started watching it as a "good-night anime", watching an episode before I went to sleep. After having finished it, I thought I'd go for another School Life anime, but then ended up with one with romance in as well (Actually, I think it was Toradora!). From there I saw Clannad, which has a bit more drama involved - so it kinda went around like that. The only thing now is, that I don't know where to go from.. what was it... Ahh, yea.... "B Gata H Kei" was the last one I saw.. I remember watching a row of ecchi anime and this one was the last I completed xD So I've kinda gone through many genres already like that I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up this way xD

Also, do note that all of the above mentioned anime have comedy as a main genre
    Last edited by Tolle; 08-25-2011 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Reason for editing:

Senior Member FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Photoshop
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-21-2017 02:41 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ThomasakaDes

Yeah I`ve experienced that.
    Now I just watch the anime that is airing, much easier :P
    Though I game alot, so just watching airing ones is good enough :P

TTGL is deffinitly worth the watch, it`s the most awesome mecha anime ever ;D

Have you watched Welcome to the NHK?
    That one has a great story, it`s funny and cute(a few times).

Comedy and Ecchi:
    Fight Ippatsu! Juuden-Chan!!
    Yeah only one from my list that is worth mentioning in here :P

Are you watchig Nichijou?

Senior Member wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts PPG Bubbles Aria Neko
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-22-2014 04:34 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: wizzadoo

been in a similar situation 2 years ago ... or so ... so I took a break ... and I'm still at it.

Gil
    Psychadelic
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzadoo View Post
    been in a similar situation 2 years ago ... or so ... so I took a break ... and I'm still at it.
    Wait what.. so you're basically stuck, wanting to watch anime - but unaware of what would be interesting to you? o.O

Also @Des - I've watched/am watching neither of the ones you name... I'm actually in the situation that I hate watching airing anime. Mostly because of the suspense, having to wait for the episodes xD However, I've ended up watching Naruto and Fairy Tail... but I'm limiting myself to those Also, I will be looking forward to seeing Ao no Exorcist when it's done airing.. show looks awesome xD

Edit: LOL - notice how, as of now, that my total posts and threads are 10 and 100 :O ZOMGH ZOMG ZOOOOMG!!!!111!1111ONe!!ONEONEONE!!!!!!
    Last edited by Tolle; 08-25-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Senior Member Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-01-2012 06:32 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: StarryMasamune PSN ID: BlackEsper

Quote Originally Posted by Tolle View Post
    Lastly, is Gurren Lagann worth watching? I've heard people saying it's the best out there and others telling me it's basically about some dudes throwing galaxies at each other.
    I don't see how this is a bad thing.

I had the same experience with Gurren Lagann as @Gjallarhorn - watched the entire series in two days about a month back, and I'm still trawling through Trigun after starting it a few days later. Now Trigun is a great show and all but TTGL was just... psyche-melting.

Roarrrrrrrrrrr!
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Be Mine 143 - Snorlax Cookie
    Mentioned
    754 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-29-2016 11:05 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Been there, done that, gotten the T-shirt.

I only keep up with a maximum of 3 to 4 series every season now, because I find the majority of the new anime boring and repetitive, since I've been watching anime for so long. I don't care what the reviews say, if i don't personally find an anime interesting, then there's no way I'm wasting my time on it. This season, for example, I just cannot make myself like Kamisama Dolls even though everyone's up and down over its supposed awesomeness. However, at the same time, I find myself eagerly waiting for the new episode of Mawaru Penguindrum and Kamisama Memo-chou. I think like Datenshi said, keeping up with ongoing anime series adds some fun to your watching experience, as the weekly waiting keeps you in anticipation.

Senior Member wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts PPG Bubbles Aria Neko
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-22-2014 04:34 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: wizzadoo

Quote Originally Posted by Tolle View Post
    Wait what.. so you're basically stuck, wanting to watch anime - but unaware of what would be interesting to you? o.O
    not really "wanting" anymore .... every new anime I tried to watch I found it lame and dropped soon after (remember oreimo ... stopped watching as soon as I've heard Kirino's voice ... ). Nowdays I don't even bother to start watching anything new xD

On the other hand ... manga FTW

Junior Member OpalRainDragon is on a distinguished road OpalRainDragon's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-26-2011 02:57 AM
    Threads

Default I know the feeling...

I was in a bit of a rut, so I re-watched Last Exile and then felt motivated to watch something new. I'm glad I did that because the something new that I watched was Baka and Test. Definitely a good watch, especially with friends. We were laughing until we were sore.

Gil
    Psychadelic
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has this somewhat annoying feeling

@Masakisu - I know the feeling. As previously mentioned, you watch an anime, finish it thinking it'll be the best you've ever seen... and for a long time that's what one will think. Though, in my honest opinion, it always seems to be only partly true, since you'll find another favorite within another genre. Some anime aren't comparable because of the difference in genre or theme, so I guess TTGL will just be your favorite within... whatever genre it is - again, I haven't watched it

@OpalRainDragon Wut.. wasn't aware one could be a "guest" on the forum xD

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information