AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lightning

Senior Member T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew's Avatar
    Gil
    Pensive
    Gifts Sushi2
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2016 10:43 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Lightning

Going along with my sunset pics, thought I'd post up some other interesting sky shots... lightning. I love watching lightning, and one time the conditions were right to try and photograph it. I think it was two summers ago. There was a nice front moving across the western sky and it was not raining where I was (yet), and I had some time to kill. Never tried it before so I just had to figure it out as I went. There was a ton that didnt capture any and a few that did but didnt turn out well (experimented with various settings as I went along) and these few were the best ones. Wish I had nicer equipment, this is all shot with just a Canon S5 digicam, and I know some are blurry, etc.
    Name:  th_lightning1.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  1.4 KB Name:  th_lightning2.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  1.6 KB Name:  th_lightning3.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  1.8 KB Name:  th_lightning4.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  1.8 KB

Thanks!

~Tristan

[Edit] New pics added post #9
    Last edited by T-Stew; 07-06-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Senior Member wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic has a reputation beyond repute wizz-o-matic's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts PPG Bubbles Aria Neko
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-22-2014 04:34 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: wizzadoo

Default Re: Lightning

it's not hard to take shots of lightnings, tho it's pretty much luck to get any decent. Even compact cameras can achieve good results, I explained how to in my old thread
    Last edited by wizz-o-matic; 02-07-2012 at 04:58 AM.

Ace Kaitous YOU Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Hat Rayman Baboon With A Gun Bioshock Syringe
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-23-2024 09:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: kaitou ace42 PSN ID: kaitou42 Steam ID: kaitou_ace

The shots are pretty good! My only real suggestion, since you're framing beforehand anyway, is to try for a more interesting frame, either more sky, or more ground, putting the horizon at or near the middle doesn't work too well.

Good stuff otherwise, hope to see more ^_^

Morphine. Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Paint Palette Gun Camera Dslr
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-04-2012 09:22 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

As pretty as they look, it's sort of scary when you think about it! Those are some damn, big lightning-strikes! Love the captures, I always wanted to take pictures of lightning too
    No Mercy,
    No Remorse.

||Thank you MaruDashi for the great set!||

Senior Member T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew's Avatar
    Gil
    Pensive
    Gifts Sushi2
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzadroid View Post
    it's not hard to take shots of lightnings, tho it's pretty much luck to get any decent. Even compact cameras can achieve good results, I explained how to in my old thread
    Yep I checked out your thread and thats about exactly what I did. No its not hard as in difficult, its just hard since its so rare to have lots of nice lightning with clear skies, and to be ready with the camera at that time and have a bunch of time to kill. I think to get those four I took over 200 pictures, and it was well over an hour of shooting. I am sure with a nice dSLR and a quality tripod I could have got more clear pictures though. Poor light sensitivity and cheap tripod makes it much more likely for my pics to be blurry, and loose all the details of the darker sky and ground. I was using the timer feature on mine to get my hands off the camera for most of the shots, but the tripod sometimes still has wiggle to it, and the wind was blowing fiercely.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou Ace View Post
    The shots are pretty good! My only real suggestion, since you're framing beforehand anyway, is to try for a more interesting frame, either more sky, or more ground, putting the horizon at or near the middle doesn't work too well.

Good stuff otherwise, hope to see more ^_^
    Thanks Kaitou, I usually do what you say, but the area above and below those pics were pretty boring being dark, and I think I actually cropped em down (well obviously the first one) just because including much more of the featurless sky just shrunk the main subject down. Now if the sky had detail to it, with highlights from the lightnings flash, then I would certainly have included it (I did more in the third pic because it was illuminated). I might have to dig up the originals to see if there was any more sky in them that was worth including.

I hope to able to take some more in the future, but it is pretty rare, so I wouldnt hold your breath lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanjoudakai_Ira View Post
    As pretty as they look, it's sort of scary when you think about it! Those are some damn, big lightning-strikes! Love the captures, I always wanted to take pictures of lightning too
    Thanks! Yes I am in awe at mother nature sometimes, whether its the beauty of the sunset, or the power of a lightning bolt or tornado... My fascination with lightning is much deeper though, being an electronics engineer and hobbyist I have made many high voltage and EMP projects including things like Tesla Coils. Its been years since I had one running but my biggest Tesla Coil could sustain about a 4 to 5 foot long arc of lightning. Electricity is kind of my thing.
    Name:  doublest.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  1.4 KB <my homemade lightning

My personal favorite was the first one that happened to capture two strikes, and was fairly crisp compared to the others, but unfortunately I didnt realize the branch of the silver maple in my front yard got in the way.

~Tristan

Senior Member *Lady_Kikyo* has a reputation beyond repute *Lady_Kikyo* has a reputation beyond repute *Lady_Kikyo* has a reputation beyond repute *Lady_Kikyo* has a reputation beyond repute *Lady_Kikyo* has a reputation beyond repute *Lady_Kikyo* has a reputation beyond repute *Lady_Kikyo* has a reputation beyond repute *Lady_Kikyo* has a reputation beyond repute *Lady_Kikyo* has a reputation beyond repute *Lady_Kikyo* has a reputation beyond repute *Lady_Kikyo* has a reputation beyond repute *Lady_Kikyo*'s Avatar
    Gil
    Disapprove
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose 133 - Eevee Gir
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-01-2018 12:48 AM
    Threads

Gahhhh Im soo jelouse!! You got some freaking cool pictures. Ive attempted taking lightning pics and its not an easy thing to do! But you got some great ones! Good job there man, and I hope to see some more!

7. Thanks T-Stew thanked for this post
    Senior Member Chigumi has a reputation beyond repute Chigumi has a reputation beyond repute Chigumi has a reputation beyond repute Chigumi has a reputation beyond repute Chigumi has a reputation beyond repute Chigumi has a reputation beyond repute Chigumi has a reputation beyond repute Chigumi has a reputation beyond repute Chigumi has a reputation beyond repute Chigumi has a reputation beyond repute Chigumi has a reputation beyond repute Chigumi's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Aria Neko Jigsaw Ribbon Mic
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-24-2013 02:33 PM
    Somewhere between sparkle bunnies and pinkish kittens.
    Threads

Much respect for you man. Everytime there was thunder here I was too much of a chicken to go outside! x'D

Gil
    Pensive
    Gifts Sushi2
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Thanks Toph Bei Phong and Chigumi
    I love going out to watch the lightning! My problem is usually its raining!
    Last edited by T-Stew; 02-18-2012 at 12:58 AM.
    ~ Tristan

Gil
    Pensive
    Gifts Sushi2
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

More lightning! Yay!

Unfortunately I dont think most of them turned out as well as my original post, despite the better equipment I have now (canon 60D & 24-105L, but still just a cheap tripod). My problem last night was the lightning itself. Most of it was more what you'd call heat lightning I suppose, it was high in the atmosphere and mostly above the clouds. Youd see flashes of light through the clouds but very few actual bolts of lightning visible. And most where thin and wispy, cloud to cloud, not the heavy branching ground strikes. It was also the middle of the night, so black skies, the only illumination from the lightning. But anyhow, here are the few I picked out of the bunch I took (click some of them for bigger versions):

^This is my favorite from the shooting. There was nearly as much lightning off to the left of the frame than what you see here! Its like nearly half of the entire sky had lightning through it going in every direction!

^Some crazy tangle of lightning also in the top left corner.

^A 'leaner'?

^Some bonus action on the top left corner.

^Another bonus.

^Three bolts in this one.

^Psych! I guess this one decided to change direction mid course.

Well thats it for this round. My camera is still new so in need of some more practice. For one I need to figure out if the infinity on the lens is really infinity. Not sure if I'm a little out of focus or just motion blur, most shots were about 6-8 seconds and I just have a cheap tripod. Need to get a remote shutter release as well, but I was using the 2 sec timer and mirror lock up.
    Last edited by T-Stew; 07-05-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    ~ Tristan

♡ Your Royal Sprinkles ♡ Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake's Avatar
    Gil
    Psychadelic
    Gifts Cheshire Cat Kawaiislice Cake
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2012 09:54 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Even though I hold a grudge against lightning for catching my house on fire when I was little, I do happen to love these pictures. It's so beautiful and yet so destructive. I guess that's why I find it even more interesting. The purplish sky and bright zig-zaggy streaks compliment each other really well. Great shots, T-Stew! =]

12. Thanks T-Stew thanked for this post
    Senior Member threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Wolf
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-12-2013 11:23 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W0LF1NN PSN ID: G0pherG0d

Same here, lost the first house I lived in as a kid to a lightning strike. But I am fascinated by lightning. Where I live, back of my house is facing west off the back of a hill, so I get a really nice view of storms that roll into Pittsburgh. I can just stand there and watch for hours. Plus anytime walking home from work, off and on will get caught in a storm, which when I am crossing one of the really big metal bridges freaks me out a bit, i still get captivated by them.

Love the pics, really nice work capturing them.

14. Thanks T-Stew thanked for this post
    Moderator Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Moon Crescent Wand Wine Kangaroo
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 04:32 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

WOW! nice pics! I love storms, wish we got more of them here.

16. Thanks T-Stew thanked for this post
    Back To Business ~> Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts One Piece Flag Soul Eater Shinigami-sama Naruto Sharingan
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-26-2012 02:33 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I really love lightnings and those pics are really great, pretty nice work @T-Stew
    That last ones are particularly good, love the colour's sky on them, not a really common phenomen in my city

"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough."
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
    "Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    "I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

18. Thanks T-Stew thanked for this post
    Gil
    Pensive
    Gifts Sushi2
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

@Princess Cupcake and @threewolves
    Wow thats terrible y'all have lost so much to lightning. And I dont know if any of that went your way yesterday or not, your both downwind of me lol!

3wolves... yeah metal bridges would freak me out a little too! I was caught out on an open lake in a canoe once when a storm blew in quick... lightning, rain, wind. Only time I have ever feared for my life during a storm before.
    ~ Tristan

Back To Business ~> Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T-Stew View Post
    yeah metal bridges would freak me out a little too! I was caught out on an open lake in a canoe once when a storm blew in quick... lightning, rain, wind. Only time I have ever feared for my life during a storm before.
    Well, guess I'd have feared as well being in such a situation

Senior Member threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Wolf
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-12-2013 11:23 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W0LF1NN PSN ID: G0pherG0d

Couple nights ago, was just a good lightning storm. I think I lost power for like 4 hours, but it was from 2am to 6am, so really didnt notice, other than AC had turned off.

As far as the bridge, yeah I just walk a little faster.

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by threewolves View Post
    Couple nights ago, was just a good lightning storm. I think I lost power for like 4 hours, but it was from 2am to 6am, so really didnt notice, other than AC had turned off.

As far as the bridge, yeah I just walk a little faster.
    Here in Portugal there are pratically no lightining storms

Ah ah, nice way of going trough it :P

Senior Member FatalEnd21 is on a distinguished road FatalEnd21's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-01-2014 02:22 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FatalEnd21 PSN ID: FatalEnd21 Steam ID: FatalEnd21

These are beautiful pictures!! Lightning is cool to look at. I love the way lightning looks. I wish I could take some good pics of lightning but I never could xP.

24. Likes T-Stew liked this post
    Member Smikimimi is on a distinguished road Smikimimi's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-10-2012 09:10 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: LeSisterz

Woooh! Theses are amaizing! especially the one with the cloud :3 and the new ones on post 9 Love it!

26. Likes T-Stew liked this post
    Junior Member Momoka:3 has a reputation beyond repute Momoka:3 has a reputation beyond repute Momoka:3 has a reputation beyond repute Momoka:3 has a reputation beyond repute Momoka:3 has a reputation beyond repute Momoka:3 has a reputation beyond repute Momoka:3 has a reputation beyond repute Momoka:3 has a reputation beyond repute Momoka:3 has a reputation beyond repute Momoka:3 has a reputation beyond repute Momoka:3 has a reputation beyond repute Momoka:3's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Kawaii Neapolitan Icecream Bar Hello Kitty 2 Yellow Ribbon
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-16-2012 11:54 AM
    Threads

so pretty!

28. Likes T-Stew liked this post
    Member celiaorirene has much to be proud of celiaorirene has much to be proud of celiaorirene has much to be proud of celiaorirene has much to be proud of celiaorirene has much to be proud of celiaorirene has much to be proud of celiaorirene has much to be proud of celiaorirene has much to be proud of celiaorirene has much to be proud of celiaorirene's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-18-2012 09:40 PM
    Threads

lightning is beautiful yet scary to me, and it's cool you can capture them nicely!
    Top Cosplay Costume for you!

30. Likes T-Stew liked this post
    Senior Member Jeroen Mathon has a reputation beyond repute Jeroen Mathon has a reputation beyond repute Jeroen Mathon has a reputation beyond repute Jeroen Mathon has a reputation beyond repute Jeroen Mathon has a reputation beyond repute Jeroen Mathon has a reputation beyond repute Jeroen Mathon has a reputation beyond repute Jeroen Mathon has a reputation beyond repute Jeroen Mathon has a reputation beyond repute Jeroen Mathon has a reputation beyond repute Jeroen Mathon has a reputation beyond repute Jeroen Mathon's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Baka Radioactive
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-28-2013 02:38 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: jeroenmathonmac

The third one looks really amazing!

32. Likes T-Stew liked this post
    Junior Member Pixedaz is on a distinguished road Pixedaz's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-01-2013 05:38 AM
    Threads

its just awesome pic to look up at. yo have captured a stunning pic just at the correct timing it is needed what a brilliant shot.....

34. Likes T-Stew liked this post
    Member Blackberry has a reputation beyond repute Blackberry has a reputation beyond repute Blackberry has a reputation beyond repute Blackberry has a reputation beyond repute Blackberry has a reputation beyond repute Blackberry has a reputation beyond repute Blackberry has a reputation beyond repute Blackberry has a reputation beyond repute Blackberry has a reputation beyond repute Blackberry has a reputation beyond repute Blackberry has a reputation beyond repute Blackberry's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-18-2013 12:09 PM
    Threads

Lightening is the one thing I would love to see unexpectedly. From how beautiful to how scary they can be. Those pictures are beautiful by the way.

36. Likes T-Stew liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information