AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dumb but Fun Anime

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Talking Dumb but Fun Anime

I remember starting a thread like this once before, but it was dropped apparently due to its age. I remember getting some good responses. And to encourage more of you to make responses and not just click on, read, and log out, I thought I would again start a thread on Dumb but Fun anime.

What is Dumb but Fun? Well, it’s exactly what it sounds like. The story is dumb, the artwork and animation are dumb, the characters are dumb, the writing is dumb. But it is sure fun to watch.

No, not all these characteristics need to be present. Two would be enough. Also I am not talking about anime which is unintentionally bad; that is, I am not talking about poorly conceived and made anime. Basically, we are talking about anime which does not take itself seriously. So here are some to start us off with, in no particular order.

FLCL. Not the two total crap sequels, but the original. Poor Naota is the only normal person in a town full of eccentrics with development issues. It all comes to head with the arrival of an alien named Haruko. My understanding is this series started out as a joke, and then grew to be a Dumb but Fun classic.

Kill la Kill. Ryuko is out to avenge her father’s death, with one half of a giant scissors, and three-fourths naked. The real mover of this anime is Ryuko’s side-kick, the ultra-hyper and empty-headed Mako. It’s all about a conspiracy to enslave the human race to their clothing.

Kill Me Baby. Airhead schoolgirl Yasuna wants to be best friends with her classmate Sonja. Sonja is a professional assassin. Next we meet Agiri, a ninja looking to make a few yen, and the Unused Character who just wants to get into the story.

Space Dandy. This is Cowboy Bebop with a full lobotomy. Dandy and his friends, a catlike creature named Meow and a vacuum cleaner turned ship’s computer named QT, search the universe for unregistered alien species. Oh, and boobies. We can’t forget hunting for boobies at Boobies. (Just watch the series.) And we can’t forget the villain, the evil Doctor Gel. He’s hunting Dandy for some reason. Dandy doesn’t even know Gel exists.

Cromartie High School. Takashi is a nice guy, well behaved, and a model student – until he accidentally is enrolled at Cromartie High, a school for juvenile delinquents. He quickly becomes head of one of the school’s gangs, and then becomes the head of all gangs thanks to his knowledge of yogurt. But there are other gang leaders to contend with, including the late Freddie Mercury. There are plenty of running gags which never grow old. The animation is almost intentionally bad, but it works with this anime. The only problem is that much of the humor pokes fun at Japanese culture, so western audiences may not get all the jokes.

Papuwa Island. This is a sequel to another series which was never released in the US. No matter. You can still follow the story – as if the story was important. Kotarou is a young boy with the power to destroy the world, or at least a good chunk of it. Suffering from amnesia, he washes up on Papuwa Island, where he is given shelter by a little boy name Papuwa and his man-maid Liquid. Also on the island are a cross-dressing fish and snail, a stoner mushroom, a manly female warrior, and other eccentric or incapable characters. It’s wall pretty normal to Papuwa.

So there is a start. What are your favorite Dumb but Fun anime series or movies? And why? What are they about? Feel free to discuss.

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Default Re: Dumb but Fun Anime

165 people have look at this thread so far, and no one posts their favorite Dumb but Fun?

From FLCL, Naota and his friends in the most ridiculous fight for survival ever:

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From Kill la Kill, a school which knows how to handle disciplinary problems:

But on second thought, it is kind of silly. Violently silly, but still silly..

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

282 views and no one has their own favorite Dumb but Fun anime? No one wants to even comment on the ones I listed? Why are you coming here then?

I'm watching a bit of Kill Me Baby.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Space Dandy has one of the most fearest villains in anime:

And this is on one of Dr. Gel's good days!

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

Boboboboobobo

Koro Sensei Quest
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I never watched Boboboboobobo, but with a name like that, obviously.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The trailer for Cromartie High School:

All the schools in the show are named for American baseball players who played in Japan.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

It's been too quiet around here the last few days.

Here's a conflict on Papuwa Island:

Look over there ---> Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Hyundai Coupe Mario Bowser Shell Mario Blue Shell
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-17-2022 04:00 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: PrinnyBombed

Excel Saga was the first anime that popped into my head. I don't even remember if it even had a story. Just a bunch of random deaths and wacky dialog. Menchi ftw!

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Immoral View Post
    Excel Saga was the first anime that popped into my head. I don't even remember if it even had a story. Just a bunch of random deaths and wacky dialog. Menchi ftw!
    That's what I remember. But I didn't care for Excel Saga. The dialog went so fast I couldn't catch any of the jokes.

Look over there ---> Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Hyundai Coupe Mario Bowser Shell Mario Blue Shell
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-17-2022 04:00 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: PrinnyBombed

It had its share of adult humor, but was mostly stupid comedy. I think that's why I liked it.

Junior Member Finfan is on a distinguished road Finfan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-25-2020 10:44 AM
    Threads

This is one that I am almost ashamed to admit watching but there is "Aikatsu". It is show based on a card game about developing idols. Various young girls work at developing their skills as idols. The main thing I like about this show is that all of the songs are captioned in romanji and english. It is quite useful for learning to recognize japanese words.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt

Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
    I have to watch that sometime.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Cat Planet Cuties is good too

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ My first response would get me banned from this site, so I am saying nothing.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information