AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Episode Reviews of a Yuri Fanboy: Shimoneta

Member Nathan Warford is on a distinguished road Nathan Warford's Avatar
    Gil
    Asleep
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-28-2015 10:33 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Episode Reviews of a Yuri Fanboy: Shimoneta

Before the ShoujoAi.com forum closed, I and several others would discuss yuri content in episodes of ongoing series. Personally, I would pretty much give a summary of the entire episode, spoilers included, and discuss my thoughts on the matter. Hoping to get back into the swing of things, I've decided to start a new segment here on AnimeForum that I like to call "Episode Reviews of a Yuri Fanboy".

Today, I will be discussing episode 3 of Summer 2015 series Shimoneta: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn’t Exist. For the sake of my own sanity and that of yours, I will use only the first word of the title "Shimoneta" to refer to the series.

Shimoneta is a fun series about a version of Japan in which all forms of obscenity are outlawed. Hijinks include, but are not limited to, some people not even knowing what constitutes obscenity due to lack of exposure. In this world, even saying scientific terms for certain parts of the body are not tolerated.

To combat the suppression of freedom of expression, a terrorist organization called SOX has been formed to expose people to lewd material so that they can understand how beautiful it is and learn how to use it to express love and form bonds. This was explained in a very serious and mature way in the 3rd episode, which I felt was rather heartwarming. Combining wacky humor with serious insight is not an easy task and the writers did it very well.

Main character Tanikuchi is brought into the war when he encounters SOX leader Blue Snow, a girl who runs around in nothing more than a toga hanging from her shoulders and a pair of panties covering her face. Blue Snow is in fact Ayame Kajou, Vice-President of the Student Council at Tanukichi's school. The Student Council President is a girl named Anna, Tanukichi's childhood friend and secret crush. While Anna and the other members of the Student Council are intent on keeping the school free of lewdness, Kajou and Tanukichi work behind the scenes to expose and enlighten the student body.

The reason that I haven't talked about the show until episode 3 is because the yuri didn't appear until episode 3 in the form of secondary character Otome, an artistic prodigy condensed into a tiny package. It turns out that she has a crush on Anna as well, and she uses her knowledge of Tanukichi's affiliation with SOX to blackmail him into helping her find and stop a stalker who is fixated on Anna, which concludes with the stalkers being stopped and Otome joining SOX as well.

In a sense, Tanukichi has first dibs on Anna, so I don't have high hopes for a yuri ending. However, after learning about Otome's feelings for Anna, he couldn't reveal his own feelings to her and so said that Kajou was the one that he liked. If you believe in the trope of "First Girl Wins" then there is a high possibility that Tanukichi will ultimately end up with Kajou, leaving Anna free for Otome to sweep off her feet. Although she still has yet to deal with Gouriki, the Student Council Treasurer, who also likes Anna, although he is not yet aware of his own feelings. "AnnaOto" as I am calling the pairing is probably not gonna happen, but a guy can dream, can't he?

Now that the existence of yuri in Shimoneta has appeared, I will continue to make reports about the series each week in this thread if there is anything noteworthy. I now give the floor to you. Discuss if you feel so inclined. Maybe resident yuri fan @Clayton_n will find his way here.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2024 06:36 PM
    Threads

Default Re: Episode Reviews of a Yuri Fanboy: Shimoneta

Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Member Nathan Warford is on a distinguished road Nathan Warford's Avatar
    Gil
    Asleep
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-28-2015 10:33 PM
    Threads

Default Re: Episode Reviews of a Yuri Fanboy: Shimoneta

I don't think I exactly called you. It was more of a prediction of mine that you would show up. Have you been watching Shimoneta as I have? If you have been, do you have any thoughts about it?

Although, I guess that using the MENTION action would have alerted you. In which case, I directed you to a thread that you might enjoy participating in.
    Last edited by Nathan Warford; 07-25-2015 at 05:10 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information