AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you write lyrics first?

Junior Member britannica is on a distinguished road britannica's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-06-2015 04:55 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Do you write lyrics first?

I have written lyrics but never matched it up to music. People tell me I need music first. Which order do you do?
    http://akihabara.tokyo discussions around latest news about contemporary Japanese culture, technology and life in general.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-25-2023 08:47 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Re: Do you write lyrics first?

Um, I'm not sure what you mean. Are you composing a song?

If you have the lyrics already, then the answer is obvious. Start with the lyrics and compose music to suit it.

Actually, when I compose songs I usually start with the lyrics and compose music to fit. However, each person is different, and I've heard that some people do the opposite. There's no wrong or right way. Just do what works for you and don't let your creativity be straitjacketed by what you've been told you're "supposed" to do.

3. Likes GrammarNinja64 liked this post
    GrammarNinja64 is on a distinguished road GrammarNinja64's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-19-2015 02:03 AM
    Threads

To follow up on what Raichu said, I personally like to have some kind of melody first because it helps me choose words.

Having some kind of melody in mind makes it easier for me to choose which words to use because then I know how certain words will affect the flow and pace of the song.
    (Things like how many syllables the word has, whether any of the syllables should be stretched over several notes, etc.)

But plenty of people would write words first and then try to find a melody.

Since there are lyricists (people who mainly just write lyrics) in the world, we know that there are people who make a living doing the lyrics first or even only the lyrics.

Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-25-2023 08:47 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

hey i find the words help me with the melody!

just goes to show that it depends on the person and their individual talents. i'm sure there are people that go both ways.

do what works for you, and sometimes broaden yourself by trying something different too!
    Last edited by Raichu; 06-19-2015 at 04:15 PM.

AnimeLyrics Admin
    EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-25-2020 10:24 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: xenographer Steam ID: xen0glossy

Personally, my favorite answer to "which comes first, the lyrics or the music?" is "generally, the paycheck," though I can't remember who that's (possibly apocryphally) attributed to.

Happyblossom has a reputation beyond repute Happyblossom has a reputation beyond repute Happyblossom has a reputation beyond repute Happyblossom has a reputation beyond repute Happyblossom has a reputation beyond repute Happyblossom has a reputation beyond repute Happyblossom has a reputation beyond repute Happyblossom has a reputation beyond repute Happyblossom has a reputation beyond repute Happyblossom has a reputation beyond repute Happyblossom has a reputation beyond repute Happyblossom's Avatar
    Gil
    Happy
    Gifts Snowman PPG Blossom Kawaiislice
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-17-2020 02:10 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

It totally depends on you, I guess. I like to make the lyrics first, and then the music, but I often change the words with synonyms to match the music.
    SoundCloud: Angery
    Short covers on Instagram: @project_mercury
    YouTubes: Angery Project Mercury

- views and any interaction all appreciated.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information