AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Other Japanese Interests?

Member Schmizz is on a distinguished road Schmizz's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2014 03:16 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Thumbs up Other Japanese Interests?

So I know we're all here because we enjoy anime, but is anybody into other things from Japan such as coulture, cars, clothing styles, ect?? I myself am into cars. Pretty much makes up my whole life, I owned an imported '79 Celica Supra, a '95 MR2 Turbo, a Sentra with an imported silvia motor, and a camry.. So what other interests doe you all have???

Junior Member lotuskiss is on a distinguished road lotuskiss's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-29-2013 02:08 PM
    Threads

Default Re: Other Japanese Interests?

I've only been into the car thing for a short amount of time thnks to initial d. Other wise I don't keep up with the motorized Jones. I have met someone that does own a Toyota ae86 and doesn't want to scrap it because of sentiment.

I'm not the biggest fan of Japanese food but never the less when something's new and shiny its has quite the allure.

Ever see the dancing octopus/ squid soup? My memory seems to be fleeing but if I can strangle it right then the title for it should odori ikedon. Mmmm still doesn't sound right.

There's also nifty themes restaurants I wanna check out. For example there's one that serves food in toilet bowl plates. There's also another that has a horror theme so all food looks spooky and grotesque. The waiter will come by to pen the peep hole of your door and give you a scare.

Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Haha yeah I've heard of that dish, the octopus isn't really alive I believe, bu the nerves are still firing, causing it to move an look alive, not too sure if I'd try it though, its too rubbery even after its cooked, raw its probably like chewing on a tire... I actually didn't see intitial D until after I had been into cars for a while... Actually that may have been the firs anime series I watched in its entirety. Movies and all stages. Found it actually relatable.. Though there were many flaws with some details, it was strange seeing some cars animated that I've worked on irl. On another note, the horror themed restaurant seems interesting, I'll ask my buddy in oki if he's been to some places like that.. Kinda jealous of him tbh, he's already got a few cars there, I'm gonna see if he can ship one back for me... Probably through canada..

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

It's quite amusing to see all the gimmicky things you can find in Japan. Like catching your own octopus for dinner. Tip the sea critter is long gone. The salt opens up the cells and causes the nerves to respond since the critter is dead the brain can't tell the body to stop.

How you ever seen any car shows in Japan? They pimp them out to the brim.

Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Aha you mean bosozoko and the vip styles? Big exhaust tips usually with some crazy bends in them, huge body kits and stuff, plus the costumes those guys in the scene wear are quite amusing...

Hmm didn't know that about the octopus, interesting....

Senior Member darksky967 has a reputation beyond repute darksky967 has a reputation beyond repute darksky967 has a reputation beyond repute darksky967 has a reputation beyond repute darksky967 has a reputation beyond repute darksky967 has a reputation beyond repute darksky967 has a reputation beyond repute darksky967 has a reputation beyond repute darksky967 has a reputation beyond repute darksky967 has a reputation beyond repute darksky967 has a reputation beyond repute darksky967's Avatar
    Gil
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-27-2014 06:44 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: h3rra

horror and romance mangas

oh and of course, Japanese humour.. Always love watching the batsu games.
    Strengthen & Keep Strengthening

Senior Member AnimeBboy has a reputation beyond repute AnimeBboy has a reputation beyond repute AnimeBboy has a reputation beyond repute AnimeBboy has a reputation beyond repute AnimeBboy has a reputation beyond repute AnimeBboy has a reputation beyond repute AnimeBboy has a reputation beyond repute AnimeBboy has a reputation beyond repute AnimeBboy has a reputation beyond repute AnimeBboy has a reputation beyond repute AnimeBboy has a reputation beyond repute AnimeBboy's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Gurren Drill Gurren Dai Gurren Dan K-on Pick
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-04-2017 08:46 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I've been interested in music from Japan. I watched Samurai Champloo and liked all the music in it and decided to look it and that is how I ended up finding Nujabes. After finding his music, it just started branching of from there to other artists just like him.

The other thing that I got interested in is Bushido. I got into it because of my martial arts teacher was always applying Bushido to his lessons and now I own a few books on Bushido and samurai because I really like the idea of what Bushido is all about.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Schmizz View Post
    Aha you mean bosozoko and the vip styles? Big exhaust tips usually with some crazy bends in them, huge body kits and stuff, plus the costumes those guys in the scene wear are quite amusing...

Hmm didn't know that about the octopus, interesting....
    I've only seen short snip its of car shows but quickly looked at bozosoko style. First glance at the extravaganza gave me a fresh shot of culture shock. Haha. When you do go to a car show in Japan send us pics Schmizz. To be more specific, pics of your costume, not the car >

I've always wondered what American food chains tasted like cover seas. That would be interesting.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeBboy View Post
    I've been interested in music from Japan. I watched Samurai Champloo and liked all the music in it and decided to look it and that is how I ended up finding Nujabes. After finding his music, it just started branching of from there to other artists just like him.

The other thing that I got interested in is Bushido. I got into it because of my martial arts teacher was always applying Bushido to his lessons and now I own a few books on Bushido and samurai because I really like the idea of what Bushido is all about.
    Nujabes is really something. I was quite surprised to find out that he was Japanese because of his fantastic funk, not to disregard all the amazing music that does come out of Japan. It's just sad that Nujabes has passed away.

Old fashion Japan has a lot of great values. I can only say this second handily but Japan is really changing.

On another note I never really realized what bushido was besides a video game. One day it finally dawned on me that bushido was an ethical code and I never won because I fought dirty.
    Last edited by lotuskiss; 07-25-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Senior Member AnimeBboy has a reputation beyond repute AnimeBboy has a reputation beyond repute AnimeBboy has a reputation beyond repute AnimeBboy has a reputation beyond repute AnimeBboy has a reputation beyond repute AnimeBboy has a reputation beyond repute AnimeBboy has a reputation beyond repute AnimeBboy has a reputation beyond repute AnimeBboy has a reputation beyond repute AnimeBboy has a reputation beyond repute AnimeBboy has a reputation beyond repute AnimeBboy's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lotuskiss View Post
    I've only seen short snip its of car shows but quickly looked at bozosoko style. First glance at the extravaganza gave me a fresh shot of culture shock. Haha. When you do go to a car show in Japan send us pics Schmizz. To be more specific, pics of your costume, not the car >

I've always wondered what American food chains tasted like cover seas. That would be interesting.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Nujabes is really something. I was quite surprised to find out that he was Japanese because of his fantastic funk, not to disregard all the amazing music that does come out of Japan. It's just sad that Nujabes has passed away.

Old fashion Japan has a lot of great values. I can only say this second handily but Japan is really changing.

On another note I never really realized what bushido was besides a video game. One day it finally dawned on me that bushido was an ethical code and I never one because I fought dirty.
    Yeah I agree that it sad he passed away I had no idea that he had died until about six months after it happened. He had some much potential to still gain from making music, but it's good to see that he brought out the talent of other artist in Japan while he was alive.

Yeah at first I was the same way with Bushido but like I said before it was my martial arts teacher that really helped me to fully understand what it was. I like it because it has helped me seen life in a different way and honestly had helped be balance out my life and get rid of a lot of stress that I once had.

Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Haha I'm not overseas, a childhood friend is. He's stationed in oki though I haven't kept in touch with him more recently... I've seen all kinds of videos on Japans car coulture.. A buddy of mine is really into touge racing and drifting, he has videos from the early 90's of drift compitions, that was way before anybody outside of the country had any idea of what drifting was(well some did, but nowheres close to as mainstream as it is now). Quite honestly when they took it of the street and started doing it on the track it got boring... No risk of death or damage to yourself, your car, innocent bystanders and whatnot. I guess I'm somewhat of an adrenaline junkie and tame track racing just doesn't do it for me.

Stateside we have some weird stuff at car shows too, though not many people are into costumes...

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

I'm gonna scope his music out now... Listened to a song called feather, reminds me of some of that home made grassroots hip hop I worked on a few years back, really relaxed beat, lyrical referances.. Yeah I can dig it... I've needed some new music to listen to, and since you said its relaxing and I've been stressed af lately due to my house and everything it might help..

Senior Member Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Cake Lie Soul Eater Logo Little Big Planet Sackboy Kratos
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-23-2013 11:42 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Japanese folklore

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Well I'd say saddle up Schmizz and put your costume on. AnimeBboy is bout to give us some stress relieving tips via bushido. (Yes that's my forward way of asking for those tension cutting tips AnimeBboy)

Hmmm. Never really thought of Nujabes as grass roots until now but that examination does seem to fit the mold.

AnimeBboy by any chance do you watch those bboy competitions hosted by red bull? The guy rep'n Japan is pretty rad.

Senior Member Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-12-2014 08:06 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

The only part of Japanese culture I'm interested is VOCALOID and that isn't exclusive to Japan.
    人類は調和したのか?
    VY2V3 = Me | Kagamine Len Act 1 = You

14. Likes xKMCK liked this post
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Kimihiro View Post
    Japanese folklore
    It's most likely extinct but kamishibai men are amazing at telling folklore. I'm sure if they wanted they could do creepy pasta too! Haha

Senior Member Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune has a reputation beyond repute Tenrou Nogitsune's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It's most likely extinct but kamishibai men are amazing at telling folklore. I'm sure if they wanted they could do creepy pasta too! Haha
    Lulz

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Kimihiro View Post
    Lulz
    I can just imagine all the frightened children running away from the mans cart.

Gil
    Tired
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I can just imagine all the frightened children running away from the mans cart.
    Oh, I'm plenty frightening enough

Gil
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Well I'd say saddle up Schmizz and put your costume on. AnimeBboy is bout to give us some stress relieving tips via bushido. (Yes that's my forward way of asking for those tension cutting tips AnimeBboy)

Hmmm. Never really thought of Nujabes as grass roots until now but that examination does seem to fit the mold.

AnimeBboy by any chance do you watch those bboy competitions hosted by red bull? The guy rep'n Japan is pretty rad.
    Yeah I do watch red bull BC One, Battle of the Year and R-16 Korea. Yeah the Japanese guys are really good and so are the Korean bboys. My two favorite crews are Jinjo Crew and Gamblerz

Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Just downloaded all the albums I could find connected to S.C. Gotta say I like the blend of hip-hop, funk, and jazz. Definitely don't hear too many artists with that style here. I only know of one personally, and he's been kicking that stuff out since middle school, definitely a skilled dude, just interesting to hear similar music from the opposite side of the world. It is relaxing though, had to go listen to it in the car since my comp speakers don't catch all the lows, mids and highs.

The warrior of time aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Bear Bleach Zangetsu Katana
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2015 10:29 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: aether370

For me it would have to be the Edo period with the vast armies of samurai and of such, their warfare were conducted so much grander than Western battles and with so much more honour as well.

I love the castle architecture, so classy and magnificent. Its something I have tried time and time again to find something similar over here and yet I couldn't its so unique compared to the grand palaces of Europe which in a way all look alike. I think it beats Western architecture by miles even some of the more recent stuff as well since it has that timeless quality to them.

22. Likes Schmizz liked this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

See this is why I started this thread^ loving these responses... Architecture differs greatly there from the stuff I am used to here. If I ever visited japan(which I won't because I'll never be able to leave my country probably) I really want to visit the mountains there, as well as those mountain temples that I always see depicted, seems more beautiful than the scenery here..

The warrior of time aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Bear Bleach Zangetsu Katana
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2015 10:29 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: aether370

Quote Originally Posted by Schmizz View Post
    See this is why I started this thread^ loving these responses... Architecture differs greatly there from the stuff I am used to here. If I ever visited japan(which I won't because I'll never be able to leave my country probably) I really want to visit the mountains there, as well as those mountain temples that I always see depicted, seems more beautiful than the scenery here..
    I have to agree the temples over there are more in balanced with their local surroundings compared to the churches, mosques, synagogues, Gurdwaras etc etc In the west it seems that a temple has to be big and fancy to be recognised not to mention catch the public eye whereas the Buddhist temples are small and blend in nicely with their local surroundings whether they are ontop of a mountain or in a city.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    xKMCK has a reputation beyond repute xKMCK has a reputation beyond repute xKMCK has a reputation beyond repute xKMCK has a reputation beyond repute xKMCK has a reputation beyond repute xKMCK has a reputation beyond repute xKMCK has a reputation beyond repute xKMCK has a reputation beyond repute xKMCK has a reputation beyond repute xKMCK has a reputation beyond repute xKMCK has a reputation beyond repute xKMCK's Avatar
    Gil
    Blah
    Gifts Radioactive Baka
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2018 03:46 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: xKMCK Steam ID: xKMCK

My other Japanese interest would be VOCALOID, and Japanese History & Folklores. The folklore I'm obsessed with right now is Kuchisake Onna ♥
    I also like Japanese Kimonos and Yukatas~

"ᴋᴏᴜʜᴀɪ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ sᴛʀᴇᴇᴛs, sᴇɴᴘᴀɪ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ sʜᴇᴇᴛs"
    ♥ ᴍᴀʀʀɪᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ᴋᴀᴍᴜɪ ɢᴀᴋᴜᴘᴏ ♥
    ᴋɪᴋ: ᴋᴀᴍᴜɪᴍɪᴄʜɪᴋᴏ ᴄ:

Senior Member Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium's Avatar
    Gil
    Cloud_9
    Gifts Typewriter Dolphin Systems PS3
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-01-2014 08:48 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Does Ramen Noodles count?

27. Likes Rei liked this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I dunno, if you're referring to the wax-coated costco 30 count death packs, or the fresh made ramen, although I've never had fresh ramen, nor do I know if such a thing exists...

Closed Thread

Thread Information