AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Weird, f'd up anime recommendations

Senior Member La Féline is just really nice La Féline is just really nice La Féline is just really nice La Féline is just really nice La Féline is just really nice La Féline's Avatar
    Gil
    Devilish
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-12-2017 08:14 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Weird, f'd up anime recommendations

Hey all! My bday is coming, ive got an house to myself and friends, and wanted to do something "spooky" given the time of year. Binge watching weird animes (lol, i know, "exciting", right?). Since i know NOTHING in terms of anime series/movies, i ask for your help: what are the best frelled up/spooky/horrorish/adult anime movies/series you can recommend?
    Ive heard that Evangelion, especially the movie, gets kind of weird, but that old news for everyone else. I just know i want to watch it. Also, ive seen clips of i think "School life", that was pretty weird too. But i need 7-8 hours of recommendations. So, thanks anyone for your input!

🐮🔪 Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-13-2019 08:41 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Weird, f'd up anime recommendations

How about Elfen Lied.
    Click the banner to visit my website.

My website is still under construction, so please visit it often to see it as it grows. You may have to press F5 to refresh the page if there's something new that's not showing (in some rare cases, you may have to use Ctrl+F5). If you wish to contact me about my site and are a member of Animeforum, PM me. If you are just a guest visiting Animeforum, please use [email protected]

Senior Member La Féline is just really nice La Féline is just really nice La Féline is just really nice La Féline is just really nice La Féline is just really nice La Féline's Avatar
    Gil
    Devilish
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Alrighty! What kind is this, more psychological or straight up bloody/horror?

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    Threads

Boogiepop Phantom
    Parasyte
    Hell Girl, all three series
    Ajin: Demi-Human, though only season one is available on-line

Or if you are looking for something supernatural, but in a lighter tone:

Kill la Kill (great dumb, but fun)

Welcome to the NHK is weird, but mostly because of what goes on in the protagonist's mind.

If you are interested in weird, sci-fi, and a bit of introspection:

Ergo Proxy
    Casshern Sins

You may prefer Lain aka Serial Experiments Lain.

Weird, but only for the laughs: Papuwa. Not a Halloween anime, but it is weird.

Not so weird, but good for the holiday: Blood+

Weirdest vampire anime ever: Shiki
    Last edited by PictureGuy; 10-14-2016 at 04:34 PM.

5. Likes La Féline liked this post
    Gil
    Devilish
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Thanks! Although im not looking for funny "weird" but rather mind-blown and confused. Dark, depressive stuff too. Yaknow, something unsettling.

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Boogiepop Phantom! But be forewarned. This is a thinking man's/woman's anime. Episodes are intentionally out of sequence. You have to watch it several times to get the full story -- both in the original English and the Japanese dub with subtitles. Don't watch the director's commentary until you see the whole series. It contains spoilers.

But then again, thinking too much can ruin a good party. So any of the others I mentioned should do. Shiki may be what you are looking for.

8. Thanks La Féline thanked for this post
    Gil
    Devilish
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Thanks PictureGuy! Took a quick look and yeah, i like your suggestions ^^

Edit: Just realized theres a recommandation pin, im sorry guys >\\\<'
    Last edited by La Féline; 10-14-2016 at 07:20 PM.

🐮🔪 Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-13-2019 08:41 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Everything from the Evangelion series has some pretty weird and spooky stuff. The Evangelion TV series (and the last few eps in particular) as well as the movie End of Evangelion, and basically everything from the latter half of Evangelion Rebuild 2 and also Evangelion Rebuild 3. And then Evangelion Rebuild 4 (which I hear is going to end up being called Evangelion Rebuild 1+3 for some reason) has yet to be created, but I bet it will be wierd too.
    Click the banner to visit my website.

My website is still under construction, so please visit it often to see it as it grows. You may have to press F5 to refresh the page if there's something new that's not showing (in some rare cases, you may have to use Ctrl+F5). If you wish to contact me about my site and are a member of Animeforum, PM me. If you are just a guest visiting Animeforum, please use [email protected]

Gil
    Devilish
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Haha thats a bit too much Evangelion! I want to fill a saturday to sunday night, so i think a few eps + the movie would be enough. Its kind of hard to search about it without being spoiled. Apparently the last eps are bad, but to some its important? Does the movie make sense with missing a few eps?

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-29-2024 04:10 PM
    Threads

FLCL

I spent ten minutes after each of the first two episodes just going "Fu...duh...bu...ku...huh...wha?"
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Evangelion is not exactly a spooky series. It tries hard to be a mental psychological series -- and fails.

FLCL I love, but it is not spooky. F'ed up, yes. But you said you wanted spooky. FLCL is more dumb, but fun. Classic dumb, but fun.

I forgot to mention Monster, which has the scariest monster in anime history -- and he is 100% human. This anime series is a real mind f-ck. But it is 74 episodes long, so it probably is not for your party. Watch it anyway on your own time. You will be glad you did.

Moderator Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Be Mine Alfa Romeo Spider JTS Mario Blue Shell
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-12-2017 03:31 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Elfen Lied. You want a screwed up anime, there's your ticket.

Hellsing Ultimate. Two words: Vampire Nazis.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (I think I have that right). Its about.. something. Its set in a small town where a bunch of mysterious murders occur, and we follow characters around finding out what's going on.

Paranoia Agent. I dont have an absolute clear memory about what this one was about. But there's a kid with a baseball that smacks some people around causing them to experience existential crises.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Vintniv View Post
    Elfen Lied. You want a screwed up anime, there's your ticket.

Hellsing Ultimate. Two words: Vampire Nazis.

. . . .

Paranoia Agent. I dont have an absolute clear memory about what this one was about. But there's a kid with a baseball that smacks some people around causing them to experience existential crises.
    I did not mention Elfin Lied because someone else already did, but since it came up again, yes it is a great anime. But be forewarned. It is not just the blood and violence which makes it controversial and totally f'ed up, it's the violence to and by children, detailed nudity, and a depiction of child sexual abuse. If you are easily offended, skip it. If not, go for it.

Hellsing Ultimate is a bit too much. They really go overboard. You know, too much of a good thing? The original Hellsing is a bit better. Although it is interesting in Ultimate to watch Seras go bad-azz.

Was Paranoia Agent not mentioned before? That is one f'ed up anime, and a great one. If you don't have it at your party, watch it on your own.

Moderator Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Hellsing Ultimate and Elfen Lied do have one thing in common: they're unforgettable despite the nature of their content.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Elfin Lied is more unforgettable. It has a fuller story-line with some great sub-plots.

So does Monster, though it is not as bloody and contains far less sexuality. But that one stays with you because the monster is all human.

Gil
    Devilish
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Okay, so thanks to all! What ill be looking for is:
    Evangelion (my friend really likes that one so i kinda have to. I do appreciate your input pictureguy)
    Elfin lied ( dont mind sexuality, but is there like BAD stuff in it?)
    Paranoia agent
    Monster
    So these sound good to me, thanks all! Gotta see how it goes this weeknd.

Gil
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by La Féline View Post
    Okay, so thanks to all! What ill be looking for is:

Elfin lied ( dont mind sexuality, but is there like BAD stuff in it?)
    Yes, bad stuff, yes. Here's the main plot element that's going to cause you concern: in the anime there are humans that are genetic mutants with 2 horns coming out of the tops of their heads. These horns allow them to project psychic powers in the form of 4 invisible arms that can do move things, hold things, stop bullets, etc. However, the primary function of these (at least as far the anime is using them) is to use them like swords to kill people (normal humans). They do this in a variety of ways, all of which become progressively more gruesome as the plot moves forward.

So watch at your own discretion.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Vintniv View Post
    Yes, bad stuff, yes. Here's the main plot element that's going to cause you concern: in the anime there are humans that are genetic mutants with 2 horns coming out of the tops of their heads. These horns allow them to project psychic powers in the form of 4 invisible arms that can do move things, hold things, stop bullets, etc. However, the primary function of these (at least as far the anime is using them) is to use them like swords to kill people (normal humans). They do this in a variety of ways, all of which become progressively more gruesome as the plot moves forward.

So watch at your own discretion.
    Violence against children. Violence by children. One scene of child sexual abuse. Very much at your own discretion. On second thought, you might want to watch this one by yourself. I would not expose unsuspecting guests to it.

Gil
    Devilish
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    Violence against children. Violence by children. One scene of child sexual abuse. Very much at your own discretion. On second thought, you might want to watch this one by yourself. I would not expose unsuspecting guests to it.
    This all sounds interesting actually, not too bad at all. Except the child abuse, not a fan of that.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by La Féline View Post
    This all sounds interesting actually, not too bad at all. Except the child abuse, not a fan of that.
    I do recommend Elfin Lied. But my point is if you are going to show it during a party with guests, make sure your guests are not the type to be offended by such depiction of children. If you still insist on having Elfin Lied at your party, I suggest watching it on your own first.

Junior Member TheKingofHorror is on a distinguished road TheKingofHorror's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-14-2016 07:47 AM
    Threads

If you wanna watch something strange try Cat Soup, Angel's Egg, and Shigofumi.

Horror wise the closest is Corpse Party, then Higurashi no Naka Koro ni, and and Denpa Teki na Kanjo. Also a good laugh the anime movie adaptation of Gyo that is based on the Junji Ito manga of the same name that was poorly done.

Some of these are rather short too so perfect to watch with friends. Have a good one!

24. Thanks La Féline thanked for this post
    Likes La Féline liked this post
    Gil
    Devilish
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Hey! Welcome, and thanks! With a name like that, you oughta know what youre talking about ^_~

Yeah shorter things are perfect. Prob not going throught Elfin. Angels egg and denpa teki look promising for what im looking for. Cat soup seems WAY too much like an fancy animation class project

Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco's Avatar
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Gifts Movie Ticket Mercedes-Benz Green Tea
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-09-2022 09:40 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Go watch yourself some Corpse Party, and after that, Another, plus the OVA to Another.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Token. View Post
    Go watch yourself some Corpse Party, and after that, Another, plus the OVA to Another.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingofHorror View Post
    Horror wise the closest is Corpse Party,
    Tell me about Corpse Party. What's it about?

I have see Corpse Princess. That is a good one for Holoween, although it falls more into the adventure/action category than horror. It does deal with the supernatural, but the accent is on action.

Gil
    Devilish
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Holy crap. A quick image search of Corpse party was a bad idea in class. But it does look solid in the horror department.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information