AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lyric Translation Challenge Month 2019

AnimeLyrics Admin
    EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-25-2020 10:24 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: xenographer Steam ID: xen0glossy

Default Lyric Translation Challenge Month 2019

So it's been about a year since we last did a translation challenge, and I'm here to gauge interest in doing another one. This year I'm proposing a simplified ruleset, as follows:
    1. To participate, you should sign up in this thread committing to a number of songs to translate during the month of April. The general rule of thumb is that the minimum target is ten songs for translators who have been active for two years or less or have twenty or fewer translations on the site and twenty-four for everyone else, but this is now flexible. The important thing is that it should be a challenge for you and not something you can easily complete without trying too hard, but being a veteran translator doesn't mean you don't struggle to find the time to translate ten songs in a month.
    2. You may, if you want to, list specific titles of songs that you plan to translate. There is no requirement that you do this at all or, if you choose to do it, that a certain number/percentage of your total number should be specified. If you sign up to do twenty-four songs, for example, you can list anywhere between zero and twenty-four specific songs, depending on your preference for having a set list to go down (and ensuring that no one else is planning to translate the same songs you are, though I don't think that's a huge problem) vs. having the flexibility to work on whatever you feel like at the moment.
    3. The challenge will begin at 12:00 AM on April 1 in your time zone and end at 11:59 PM on April 30 in your time zone.
    4. During the challenge period, I will try to keep track of everyone's progress and edit links to finished translations into sign-up posts, but I may miss things, in which case you can let me know and/or edit the link into your post yourself.
    5. If you complete the number of translations you signed up for before 11:59 PM on April 30th, you will win a "prize" (i.e. a tacky forum gift) and a sense of accomplishment. (Maybe the true prize was the translations we made along the way! Or something like that.)

So, if you're interested, let me know! You don't necessarily have to have a number and/or a song list ready to go in your first comment in this post, but I do want to know sooner rather than later if enough people are interested to make this worth doing.

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-08-2022 08:50 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

Default Re: Lyric Translation Challenge Month 2019

I could probably do it if finishing off translations that were partially done and put on hold counts.
    in that case i probably could easily do 30 ish ahahaha

AnimeLyrics Admin
    EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Fuukanou View Post
    I could probably do it if finishing off translations that were partially done and put on hold counts.
    in that case i probably could easily do 30 ish ahahaha
    Sure, that sounds fine! I think the real purpose of this is to encourage ourselves and each other to get more done than we would otherwise, so that seems in the spirit of the challenge to me.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    bambooXZX will become famous soon enough bambooXZX's Avatar
    Gil
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-18-2023 04:37 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

sup

Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Mic Dr Who Tardis Guy Fawkes Mask
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2020 12:43 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Senevir PSN ID: Senevir Steam ID: Senevir

I'm in! I'll commit to 24, but probably fall short of that. Still, I feel that aiming for a higher number will mean that I complete more than I would have otherwise.
    I may edit in songs I plan on doing to this post at a later time, but I'm not too bothered right now.

...you will win a "prize" .... a sense of accomplishment.
    =0
    XD

1. Yume Watashi no Sorafune
    2. SUUPA MARIO de, UESTAAN SHOO
    3. RAPPU de Chocobo
    Last edited by EJTranslations; 04-30-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Come and join me in FFXIV.
    Gaia Data Centre (Valefor) ~ Senevir Vae'talhrin | Chaos Data Centre (Omega) ~ Myrrh'a Afhkaar
    Elemental Data Centre (Atomos) ~ Kharsarnai Khrui | Mana Data Centre (Masamune) ~ Gakuto Ren

Have a lyrics request? Feel free to ask. Specialty - Vocaloid and other doujin music.
    Subject to availability.

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Okay, this is definitely enough to be going on with!

I haven't decided exactly what my target number is going to be yet, but I just counted and over the last several months I've averaged nine translations a month, so, uh, I'm probably going to be taking advantage of my own relaxed rules.

7. Thanks Hikarin thanked for this post
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

@Fuukanou and @bambooXZX , if you're still interested, you should post your target numbers!

I'm going to go for 16, myself, since that's significantly more than I've been doing but not, like, an implausible stretch.

1. Shama
    2. Dakara Boku wa Ongaku o Yameta
    3. Tamashii Nagashi
    4. MILK
    5. 0715+18^08
    6. Selene Tide
    7. us
    Last edited by EJTranslations; 05-01-2019 at 12:26 PM.

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

I'd say the 24 you've suggested is enough for me.
    [he says after having already posted said 24 translations...]

* indicates that I actually completely translated this between the 1st and 30th April
    1. Weekender Girl
    2. Uchiyoserareta Boukyaku no Zankyou ni
    3. Two of Us
    4. Thrill, Risk, Heartless
    5. Alkatale
    6. Azalea
    7. Braver
    8. Cheers
    9. Gray Blaze
    10. Nostalgic Rainfall
    11. Ref:rain
    12. Ryuusei
    13. Dear Brave
    14. Fatima
    15. Dakara Boku wa Boku o Tebanasu
    16. BRiGHT FLiGHT
    17. Ao-Iconoclast
    18. Natsu no Koi Yohou
    19. Nanairo Symphony
    20. Lyra
    21. Los! Los! Los!
    22. Gomen ne, Iiko ja Irarenai
    23. GENESIS
    24. Niji no Oto
    25. The Bravery
    26. STYX HELIX
    27. Tsuki no Mou Hanbun
    28. Mr. Launcher
    29. Naisho no Hanashi
    30. Kimi ga Iru Kara
    31. Flashback* (ok i admit this one was half done to just pad out the numbers)
    32. Wa -cycle-
    33. shadowgraph*
    34. Anonymous
    35. AIKOTOBA*
    36. Error*
    37. Tsuki to Hanataba
    38. triangle*
    39. Gravitation*
    40. Ramune Sekai
    41. PRIMALove
    42. Shiori
    43. Kirameku Hoshi no Yamai
    44. Shuuen no Mahou, Shuuten no Shin'i
    45. Lasting Moment
    46. Bull's Eye* (doesn't appear on the new updates page but believe me)
    47. Saturday Night Question (thanks to Raichu and bambooXZX for their input)
    48. Kimi ga Kureta Sekai*
    49. Overfly*
    50. Jika Netto Tanaka* (yes there are three lines in this song, what about it?)

Final results: wow i posted a lot
    Putting that aside it's probably really only a 8/24 for me (let's ignore Jika Netto Tanaka and Flashback ahaha). Should have translated more this month. Was a good opportunity to post a backlog of translations that just needed some tweaking though.
    Last edited by Fuukanou; 05-01-2019 at 08:46 AM.

bambooXZX will become famous soon enough bambooXZX's Avatar
    Gil
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-18-2023 04:37 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I think I'll go for the default 24 while I de-rust - just about matches the number of songs I know I'm interested in.

...setting aside that I've literally never made my target number even at the best of times :V

01. Kakumeiki Valvrave - Mother land
    02. GANGSTA. - Yoru no Kuni
    03. Toradora - Mirano Tengoku
    04. Haruhi - Tomodachi to Shite wa Sore ga
    05. GANGSTA. - Renegade
    06. Yanagi Nagi - concent
    07. Tenkyou no Alderamin - Tenkyou no Alderamin
    08. Angel Beats! 1st beat - Million Star
    09. DOG DAYS'' - Stay With Me
    10. Bloodivores - Yu Wo Gong Ming -NENTEN- (Japanese short version)

11-24: (´・ω・`)

---

So, 10/24. Nowhere near the target number as usual, but still better in both number and percent than any previous year. Cleared a good portion of backlog that I've had on lists from years ago.
    I made it a goal to fill in holes for some older iconic series, and I did make a little progress on that front. Still sad I once again didn't manage to break into Lucky Star. Oh well.
    Most productive month I've had since my sabbatical of 2015-16. :V
    Last edited by bambooXZX; 05-01-2019 at 06:48 PM.

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Okay, let's see where we are after a week and a half:

@bambooXZX : 1/24 (4%)
    @bluepenguin : 2/14 (14%, but only because I wasn't as ambitious as you guys to begin with)
    @Fuukanou : 27/24 (112%)
    @Hikarin : 0/24 (0%)

Okay, so Fuukanou is an absolute madman, even considering that these were translations that were already started, but the rest of us can still pull it off! I believe in us!

12. Likes Hikarin liked this post
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    Gil
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

Uhh, bit late but let's bring this thread back because I feel bad letting it slowly fade into obscurity.

Good work everyone, even though we didn't really achieve any of our goals (and then there was also @Raichu who posted 14 translations even though he's not even participating), what we did succeed in is having one of the biggest number of song posts in a month that I can remember seeing for a while now so I guess the country(?) of AnimeLyrics is grateful for your service.

Personally I thought this was pretty fun to do, admittedly probably was a bad idea to participate while I was supposed to be revising for exams, but then again the majority of my work was already done in advance. Might be up for doing another one, but probably not any time soon as I've exhausted the list of songs I want to (and can) translate.

14. Likes bambooXZX liked this post
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Sorry for letting this slide for so long; I've been sick for like... almost all of May at this point. But thanks, @Fuukanou , for stepping in! You've got your prize now, as well.

Anyway, as Fuukanou said, regardless of meeting our targets, we did make this a month with more contributions to the site than usual, and I think that's great in and of itself. We tend to do these yearly, so I'll probably try again next year--how was April for everyone? Is there a month that would be better?

Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Mic Dr Who Tardis Guy Fawkes Mask
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2020 12:43 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Senevir PSN ID: Senevir Steam ID: Senevir

I definitely didn't reach my target of submitted translations, but I do have about 10 more translations that are "completed" in the sense that they are indeed finished - I'm just not entirely satisfied with some of the lines yet.
    Considering my level of contribution in the last few years, it's probably a big step up in any case. I do feel the motivation beginning to flow back to me, so I'll count that as a win. I will be very happy to do this again next year, or maybe even a mini-challenge towards the end of the year.
    I must remember to submit those songs....

Much like bluepenguin, it wasn't a good month for me health-wise. I had two bouts of the flu, which I suppose is just part and parcel with the season.
    I'll just pretend that I wasn't also distracted by gaming.... haha....

Anyway.... thank you for "hosting", and I look forward to doing this again with you all soon! XD
    Last edited by Hikarin; 05-28-2019 at 06:28 AM.

Come and join me in FFXIV.
    Gaia Data Centre (Valefor) ~ Senevir Vae'talhrin | Chaos Data Centre (Omega) ~ Myrrh'a Afhkaar
    Elemental Data Centre (Atomos) ~ Kharsarnai Khrui | Mana Data Centre (Masamune) ~ Gakuto Ren

Have a lyrics request? Feel free to ask. Specialty - Vocaloid and other doujin music.
    Subject to availability.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information