AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Why are people afraid of debating here or engaging lately?

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Why are people afraid of debating here or engaging lately?

I'm not dissing AF as I am actually showing concern for a website I have been on for nearly ten years. I have been noticing ever since 2014 that nobody here debates here anymore nor try to engage in a smart discussion. There was a time personalties flocked here and people would put effort into engaging in a conversation. Who here remembers elites like Eris and MPK2? They both engaged. They brought life to this forum.

Guys, I can't do this myself. Believe it or not, I respect blueangel for trying so hard with this site and I feel the biggest issue here is not the activity, but the quality of the activity. Nobody is trying to seperate themselves from the flock anymore and nobody tries to add to discussion anymore, or at least its far more rare. I hate to see AF in this state and I know others in the chat and on other websites have pointed out the same thing.

Let's aim to make 2016-2017 the start of a new era. AFs rebirth era! Starting today I am going to deepen engagement here and advertise AF on my stream which averages 10 plus views.

Keep in mind, this is not a I hate AF thread. I'm just saying all of us should reflect on this point and make AF a fun place again! Forums are most fun when people engage and talk to each other.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2024 08:08 PM
    Threads

Default Re: Why are people afraid of debating here or engaging lately?

I am sort of surprised, and maybe a bit disappointed, that some of my reviews have not drawn comments from anyone who either agrees or disagrees with me. Also, when people respond to lists of certain favorites in a particular genre, they only post the names and nothing about the series or why they like it.

On the other hand, nobody on this site seems anal -- like a certain other site I previously posted on. And the moderators don't screw around with your postings, unlike adultswim.com.

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

In some cases, people just easily get offended when someone opposes their opinion or something they do in general.

AF has become that forum where people are hipster-like and just want to avoid arguments and just chill. While that's not really am issue, long-term is kind of us since it makes the forum look a lot less active.

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

Well there is the Serious Talk sub section for more in-depth debating (ie: Political, religious, moral topics). While it may not be the most active, there's still plenty of freedom to have dissenting ideas and such. That said there's still room for non-serious debating (Goku vs. Superman arguments) in just about every section of the forum.
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

5. Likes Nephthys liked this post
    Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade/13.666 View Post
    Well there is the Serious Talk sub section for more in-depth debating (ie: Political, religious, moral topics). While it may not be the most active, there's still plenty of freedom to have dissenting ideas and such. That said there's still room for non-serious debating (Goku vs. Superman arguments) in just about every section of the forum.
    Honestly, you bringing up the serious talk sub section is proof that the mindset of AF members have changed. Also, almost nobody is willing to engage in the debates around the forum and sometimes it feels like I am talking to cardboard cutouts. You're an old member so you know how it was back in the day. People like Capernicus, Eris, me, Kaitou, BlueAngel and so on transcended into elite members due to our personalities and how we actually tried to treat AF like a regular forum. I mean, if you need proof.... check my thread's last page: "worst type of anime fan".

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2024 08:08 PM
    Threads

i'm trying to stay away from any serious political talk here. I go elsewhere for that. Though I did start a thread on anime characters for President.

Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou+ View Post
    In some cases, people just easily get offended when someone opposes their opinion or something they do in general.

AF has become that forum where people are hipster-like and just want to avoid arguments and just chill. While that's not really am issue, long-term is kind of us since it makes the forum look a lot less active.
    Its going to be an issue eventually and is likely a reason people don't stick around. This is why I'm stopping this era of dullness and going to advertise AF!

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    I am sort of surprised, and maybe a bit disappointed, that some of my reviews have not drawn comments from anyone who either agrees or disagrees with me. Also, when people respond to lists of certain favorites in a particular genre, they only post the names and nothing about the series or why they like it.

On the other hand, nobody on this site seems anal -- like a certain other site I previously posted on. And the moderators don't screw around with your postings, unlike adultswim.com.
    I see promise in you.

I know people are going to tell me: "stop complaining and you try!!"

Well, I damn will be. Though, I can't do it alone.

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MAL OR AF View Post
    Its going to be an issue eventually and is likely a reason people don't stick around. This is why I'm stopping this era of dullness and going to advertise AF!
    To be fair, this "Safe Space" mentality has been running on AF for a while, maybe since late 2013. Being happy go lucky is fine but I think it has become an issue as of late, yeah.

Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

To be fair, this "Safe Space" mentality has been running on AF for a while, maybe since late 2013. Being happy go lucky is fine but I think it has become an issue as of late, yeah.
    True, 2014 was kinda going a bit easy.. yeah. There have been good new members, but give me one elite member since late 2013? To become elite, you need a strong personality and you need to be involved.

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Well I am a cardboard cutout, so yeah... That's why you feel that way. XD

Still, I'm not gonna lie I just don't see where you're coming from on this. Yes the older members and staffers helped build a lot of quality into every post, but they did more than just force everyone to "post better". Much of what they did was purely making sure every post they had made was on point with high quality, and much of that was purely due to their own personal standards that they set for themselves on a daily basis online and offline.

And @PictureGuy , I understand what you mean. Not many people come to an anime forum to talk about the significance of Pope Francis allowing women to become Deacons again. But our Serious Talk area is more than just politics and the like. Mostly it's just a way to hold a convo on any serious subject without younger, more immature, users butting in with things that would keep the conversation from being seen as a serious one. And also it helps keep the spambots and trolls out.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Well I am a cardboard cutout, so yeah... That's why you feel that way. XD

Still, I'm not gonna lie I just don't see where you're coming from on this. Yes the older members and staffers helped build a lot of quality into every post, but they did more than just force everyone to "post better". Much of what they did was purely making sure every post they had made was on point with high quality, and much of that was purely due to their own personal standards that they set for themselves on a daily basis online and offline.

And @PictureGuy , I understand what you mean. Not many people come to an anime forum to talk about the significance of Pope Francis allowing women to become Deacons again. But our Serious Talk area is more than just politics and the like. Mostly it's just a way to hold a convo on any serious subject without younger, more immature, users butting in with things that would keep the conversation from being seen as a serious one. And also it helps keep the spambots and trolls out.
    Listen, if you don't see how dramatic AF has changed then you're only keeping the site from growing. Quality of discussions were far stronger before and almost nobody will try to enter a debate anymore or seperate themselves from the flock. The current mindset is absolutely going against what a forum should be and the older members weren't afraid to bring smart and strong conversations outside of the serious discussion section. Actually, I feel this mindset is spreading to older members too and nobody is even trying anymore. If you compare 2009 and 2016, quality and the element of fun has faded. I'm not saying the activity is the reason, but the overall quality of the activity.

At least blueangel will involve herself in debating with me. At least you are doing so right now. AF needs more of this.

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Listen, if you don't see how dramatic AF has changed then you're only keeping the site from growing. Quality of discussions were far stronger before and almost nobody will try to enter a debate anymore or seperate themselves from the flock. The current mindset is absolutely going against what a forum should be and the older members weren't afraid to bring smart and strong conversations outside of the serious discussion section. Actually, I feel this mindset is spreading to older members too and nobody is even trying anymore. If you compare 2009 and 2016, quality and the element of fun has faded. I'm not saying the activity is the reason, but the overall quality of the activity.

At least blueangel will involve herself in debating with me. At least you are doing so right now. AF needs more of this.
    Again, it comes to what I just said about people and their Safe Space. It's an issue not only affecting AF but the internet in general.

AF could be more active if people weren't afraid to be assertive.

Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Again, it comes to what I just said about people and their Safe Space. It's an issue not only affecting AF but the internet in general.

AF could be more active if people weren't afraid to be assertive.
    There are still forums with strong personalities such as NF and MAL, and no that wasn't meant as a stereotypical Yoko Littner jab at AF.

Though, I agree with you. AF members need to drop this dull act and not be scared of debating. Come on guys, debate with Yoko. I'll mop the floor with ya!!!!

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

@CowboyTreetop : I know you've been looking bro! What's your opinion?

Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco's Avatar
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Gifts Movie Ticket Mercedes-Benz Green Tea
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-09-2022 09:40 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Well, the most debating that I've done on this website is in Mafia, and that's been pretty slow. Generally with threads that revolve around opinions, I accept people's posts as what they are, opinions. I don't like the idea of going out of my way to seriously debate with someone over their preference. It's not fear. I just don't think that it makes sense to do so.

I'm not afraid of engaging in activities. I may try to participate in whatever, but if I don't then more than likely it's because I can't. I don't think other people are afraid either. I think people just lack motivation, like with Mafia games. Maybe they lack the time, too.

Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyTreetop View Post
    Well, the most debating that I've done on this website is in Mafia, and that's been pretty slow. Generally with threads that revolve around opinions, I accept people's posts as what they are, opinions. I don't like the idea of going out of my way to seriously debate with someone over their preference. It's not fear. I just don't think that it makes sense to do so.

I'm not afraid of engaging in activities. I may try to participate in whatever, but if I don't then more than likely it's because I can't. I don't think other people are afraid either. I think people just lack motivation, like with Mafia games. Maybe they lack the time, too.
    Serious debates isn't what I'm trying to grasp back here, rather the motivation to engage in lively conversations and then engage in friendly debates that see two seperate parties using forums for what they're meant to be used for. Now, I'm not saying the debate or conversation needs to be heated, but whatever happened to disagreeing with opinions and offering your opinions? You're newer to AF so you missed out on so many fantastic AF alumni and legends of their craft and that number has decreased to a select few.

Also, time isn't the issue because activity isn't the issue. If people have time to post their opinion on a thread, then people have time to engage in activity. AF lost something around 2013 and nobody is willing to debate anymore or engage in activity.

Maybe its not fear, but AF needs smarter and more lively conversations and I want to see you guys seperate from the flock! The veteran members won't be here forever! Who's the next top tier member!?
    Last edited by Anime Forum; 06-04-2016 at 11:33 PM.

Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco's Avatar
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Gifts Movie Ticket Mercedes-Benz Green Tea
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-09-2022 09:40 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Serious debates isn't what I'm trying to grasp back here, rather the motivation to engage in lively conversations and then engage in friendly debates that see two seperate parties using forums for what they're meant to be used for. Now, I'm not saying the debate or conversation needs to be heated, but whatever happened to disagreeing with opinions and offering your opinions? You're newer to AF so you missed out on so many fantastic AF alumni and legends of their craft and that number has decreased to a select few.

Also, time isn't the issue because activity isn't the issue. If people have time to post their opinion on a thread, then people have time to engage in activity. AF lost something around 2013 and nobody is willing to debate anymore or engage in activity.

Maybe its not fear, but AF needs smarter and more lively conversations and I want to see you guys seperate from the flock! The veteran members won't be here forever! Who's the next top tier member!?
    I can offer my own opinion, and it may be different than everyone else's, but it doesn't mean that I need to oppose other people's point of view. If someone else prefers red over blue, then I'm okay with that. I don't see it as a reason to debate, but to accept the reality that not everyone has the same likings. When I mentioned time and activities, I meant literal activities that take time, or are in a specific time frame.

Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyTreetop View Post
    I can offer my own opinion, and it may be different than everyone else's, but it doesn't mean that I need to oppose other people's point of view. If someone else prefers red over blue, then I'm okay with that. I don't see it as a reason to debate, but to accept the reality that not everyone has the same likings. When I mentioned time and activities, I meant literal activities that take time, or are in a specific time frame.
    Well, there's no reason to debate over such trivial matters! I meant more that people rarely debate here in general anymore and threads that arise such debates are no longer being created or much rarer. I feel instead of forcing a debate, let it go natural. Again, look at the thread "worst type of anime fan". It is clearly a thread owned by Yoko and I opposed an opinion, but that user just got angry. He/She didn't ignore me, but I wouldn't go and say they really tried to debate either. They just got angry and that astounds me as I'm from a time here where opposing views is natural.

I won't debate 24/7, but opposing views from time to time makes the forum better. Also take note with the 2nd misc thread I made today. I engaged and that is rare nowadays too.

I'm not saying oppose all views and engage in everything, but if everybody here opposed a view once a day and engaged more... we'd be in a higher quality area.

Senior Member vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal's Avatar
    Gil
    Bahahaha
    Gifts Strawberry Bleach Zangetsu Bleach Zangetsu
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-09-2023 09:01 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I honestly think it's directly related with activity and other minor things.
    Forums are just being out-sourced by more popular social platforms like Facebook. The humongous crowd that used to gather here before are gone and the remainder that are here, are all grown up with uni/jobs/kids on their plate. The newcomers that see the inactive forum, then feel obligated to post on the more popular threads/sub-boards. The people that are left simply lack the energy/mindset to go an make a intense controversial thread, and instead just focus on making small commitments like word-games or a hastily-made, short post on a review or something. This is probably the vicious cycle which pretty much killed off AF. (My last 200 posts or so have all been mafia)

The other main problem I feel is personality. Some people just don't like being in the spotlight and at all times want to avoid that kind of intense scrutiny. I will put my hand up here and say that I am the sheepiest sheep around. I just usually go with the flow and try to avoid situations where I am singled out and scrutinized in a controversial manner. (Hell, I had to convince myself for about a good 10 minutes to post here xP). Sheeps like me will only engage in these kind of discussions if there are enough shepherds around to make it seem like a normal enough thread. Which just isn't the case anymore.
    Last edited by vrarsenal; 06-05-2016 at 03:38 AM.
    Previously Darkfire Knight....

Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vrarsenal View Post
    I honestly think it's directly related with activity and other minor things.
    Forums are just being out-sourced by more popular social platforms like Facebook. The humongous crowd that used to gather here before are gone and the remainder that are here, are all grown up with uni/jobs/kids on their plate. The newcomers that see the inactive forum, then feel obligated to post on the more popular threads/sub-boards. The people that are left simply lack the energy/mindset to go an make a intense controversial thread, and instead just focus on making small commitments like word-games or a hastily-made, short post on a review or something. This is probably the vicious cycle which pretty much killed off AF. (My last 200 posts or so have all been mafia)

The other main problem I feel is personality. Some people just don't like being in the spotlight and at all times want to avoid that kind of intense scrutiny. I will put my hand up here and say that I am the sheepiest sheep around. I just usually go with the flow and try to avoid situations where I am singled out and scrutinized in a controversial manner. (Hell, I had to convince myself for about a good 10 minutes to post here xP). Sheeps like me will only engage in these kind of discussions if there are enough shepherds around to make it seem like a normal enough thread. Which just isn't the case anymore.
    I need to stop posting because I am starting to imagine myself saying my posts in Famitsu's voice and its weirdly scary.

Lol, anyway.

I'll say it again, I don't feel like activity has a direct impact in this certain situation due to the fact that people are still posting here everyday, but in far different scale. I guess you could argue that it has an indirect impact though since a lot of the users who used to do this sort of thing are gone and times are changing. Since most of them are inactive... possibly that reflects on the new era of AF?

AF currently reminds me of the PG era of WWE... if you allow me to make such a comparison. I find myself slowly not fitting in with the new era because I am extremely vocal and am more like the older users.

Also, you are not a sheep. Four years ago you quoted me in a thread and directly told me I was **** ******.. Though, I respected that!

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Gifts Ice Cream Ice Cream Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-22-2017 11:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

There are still forums with strong personalities such as NF and MAL, and no that wasn't meant as a stereotypical Yoko Littner jab at AF.

Though, I agree with you. AF members need to drop this dull act and not be scared of debating. Come on guys, debate with Yoko. I'll mop the floor with ya!!!!
    Debate what, exactly?

Maybe there just isn't anything that I read in this sub-forum that particularly interests me enough to reply. Or maybe I've just got better things to be doing than arguing with people?
    : The Game. You just lost it. :

My signature was so old it broke. RIP signature.

Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ranshiin View Post
    Debate what, exactly?

Maybe there just isn't anything that I read in this sub-forum that particularly interests me enough to reply. Or maybe I've just got better things to be doing than arguing with people?
    That's counter-productive! If everybody uses the "Nothing interests me enough to reply" then you'll start to see an ugly trend and activity will crumble. Understand my stance? Though, if you have better things to do than post on a forum then that's soothing to my ears! I'm not saying you should pick AF over your life because that would be foolish and nowhere near logical, rather just saying the obvious.

You know I love you Ran Ran.

Senior Member vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal has a reputation beyond repute vrarsenal's Avatar
    Gil
    Bahahaha
    Gifts Strawberry Bleach Zangetsu Bleach Zangetsu
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-09-2023 09:01 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

AF currently reminds me of the PG era of WWE... if you allow me to make such a comparison. I find myself slowly not fitting in with the new era because I am extremely vocal and am more like the older users.
    Yes. This.
    I can very much relate to the comparison haha xP

Also, you are not a sheep. Four years ago you quoted me in a thread and directly told me I was **** ******.. Though, I respected that!

Wait.......WHAT?!
    I did that?
    Previously Darkfire Knight....

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

I recognize that posting habits have changed. I do believe there are very few people that know I used to terrorize AF back in the day as a regular member.

Part of why Art was very interesting is because of all the art drama. You had Serated, Seung, Ellipsis, Tatty, Zennister. We bickered a lot with different opinions about art and our skills. People were nosy and always came to see what was going on... Though it did have a breaking point at one time and now art is basically dead when all of the entertainment left.

When you're passionate about something you get more riled up and invested into your ideas and thoughts. AF has chanced most certainly but I feel a majority of it has to do with; the kids grew up. Back in '07-'09 anime was really popular in the U.S. You'd go to Best Buy and see rows of Anime on the shelves. Now you might be lucky to find 10 anime DVD's and 99% of them are Studio Ghibli under the Disney name so for that I don't count it really. We were all kids and didn't have social media; we had forums. Your IRL friends probably didn't like anime.. Heck you probably didn't even know anyone who knew what anime was back then... Throw a bunch of kids on a site and they're really not going to care much about what they say no matter if it's right or wrong. I've posted in serious matters when I was younger and now I can look back and go "wow I REALLY had that point of view?!!?! God you were ignorant BA".. So through the years those who were teens are now in our mid 20's and use AF as a way to stay connected and waste time. No new pesky brats have taken our spot really. Who knows where they are currently.. Probably something like reddit...

We grew up. Despite that I know I still have my old temper occasionally when I get passionate about something; it's why I'll never remove palmtop tiger from my user title. That being said.... I still hate insults on users.... If you insult someone I will still likely end you....

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Well yes posting habits have changed, Yoko. I like how you keep bring up older and respected members from just under a decade ago, but if you take a trip down the "WayBack" Machine you'll find their habits were different back when they first joined too. Especially if you dig into the old Tux stuff or "pre-AnimeForum" Anime Globe. And it's like BA said. People grew up. There habits changed as they got older, they vocabulary and grammar usage increased, more serious topics became more important as well as properly researching them, etc. Heck, many of the people you point out were going for a Masters degree and/or held very respectable and wanted jobs in 2008 and up. I'm pretty sure my post quality's gone up since I completed my bachelors degree, though I might be wrong (but I'd like to think I'm right).

Now on the point that K+ and others have made, yes it's not just AF. It seems that sensible debating and conversation has simply gone the way of the dodo everywhere online, and people care more to post crappy memes, irritate others, and angrily type nasty things to each other than hold a decent conversation. Just look at FB, Tumblr, and Twitter. Granted, I'm glad most of the foolishness is on those sites instead of AF, but it's not like they're holding any better conversations than we are now. Yes we may seem dead because their isn't any name-calling, TYPING IN ALL CAPS!, or any other usual crap in those FB arguments; but if people raving like mad men inflicted with mercury poisoning is what it takes to be alive, I'd rather be dead. And I'm sure I'm not alone, as there's a growing number of people moving away from social media.

With that, why not simply try to start more conversations and debates with people? Or in @Ranshiin 's case, why not post about stuff that does interest you? I mean it's easy for one to say you need to be more pro-active to help push for the activity and quality you want, but it's better for one to make that push on their own. That effort was what made the Serious Talk section, in the first place. And I'm sure in many eyes, anything less would seem disingenuous.

Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Well yes posting habits have changed, Yoko. I like how you keep bring up older and respected members from just under a decade ago, but if you take a trip down the "WayBack" Machine you'll find their habits were different back when they first joined too. Especially if you dig into the old Tux stuff or "pre-AnimeForum" Anime Globe. And it's like BA said. People grew up. There habits changed as they got older, they vocabulary and grammar usage increased, more serious topics became more important as well as properly researching them, etc. Heck, many of the people you point out were going for a Masters degree and/or held very respectable and wanted jobs in 2008 and up. I'm pretty sure my post quality's gone up since I completed my bachelors degree, though I might be wrong (but I'd like to think I'm right).

Now on the point that K+ and others have made, yes it's not just AF. It seems that sensible debating and conversation has simply gone the way of the dodo everywhere online, and people care more to post crappy memes, irritate others, and angrily type nasty things to each other than hold a decent conversation. Just look at FB, Tumblr, and Twitter. Granted, I'm glad most of the foolishness is on those sites instead of AF, but it's not like they're holding any better conversations than we are now. Yes we may seem dead because their isn't any name-calling, TYPING IN ALL CAPS!, or any other usual crap in those FB arguments; but if people raving like mad men inflicted with mercury poisoning is what it takes to be alive, I'd rather be dead. And I'm sure I'm not alone, as there's a growing number of people moving away from social media.

With that, why not simply try to start more conversations and debates with people? Or in @Ranshiin 's case, why not post about stuff that does interest you? I mean it's easy for one to say you need to be more pro-active to help push for the activity and quality you want, but it's better for one to make that push on their own. That effort was what made the Serious Talk section, in the first place. And I'm sure in many eyes, anything less would seem disingenuous.
    Hold on, buddy! Please don't take my thread and adjust the meaning behind my claims! Actually, what you're saying implies smart conversations could of increased and not adjusted in the other direction! Don't you agree that if vocabulary increased (maybe even ten fold!) that conversations should of gotten far stronger? Well, that is clearly not the case! Also, allow me to point out that growing up has actually a stronger impact on smarter conversations and all that jazz!

You keep implying I want hostile debates in the second paragraph, and that just indicates you aren't reading my entire posts or allowing my points to soak in! Actually, if you're hostile when debating all the time then you likely live in your parent's basement. Actually, most of the paragraph is straying from my point. If you're going to debate, stay relevant champ!

As Deathblade officially hits the point of no return in terms of logical thinking! I predicted in this very thread somebody would say: "do it yourself"!!! Well DB, what do you call this? What do you call the points made in my posts up until now? You keep dodging the issue by bringing up the serious discussion section, but that's proof smart debating is vastly adjusted!

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by blueangel06661 View Post
    I recognize that posting habits have changed. I do believe there are very few people that know I used to terrorize AF back in the day as a regular member.

Part of why Art was very interesting is because of all the art drama. You had Serated, Seung, Ellipsis, Tatty, Zennister. We bickered a lot with different opinions about art and our skills. People were nosy and always came to see what was going on... Though it did have a breaking point at one time and now art is basically dead when all of the entertainment left.

When you're passionate about something you get more riled up and invested into your ideas and thoughts. AF has chanced most certainly but I feel a majority of it has to do with; the kids grew up. Back in '07-'09 anime was really popular in the U.S. You'd go to Best Buy and see rows of Anime on the shelves. Now you might be lucky to find 10 anime DVD's and 99% of them are Studio Ghibli under the Disney name so for that I don't count it really. We were all kids and didn't have social media; we had forums. Your IRL friends probably didn't like anime.. Heck you probably didn't even know anyone who knew what anime was back then... Throw a bunch of kids on a site and they're really not going to care much about what they say no matter if it's right or wrong. I've posted in serious matters when I was younger and now I can look back and go "wow I REALLY had that point of view?!!?! God you were ignorant BA".. So through the years those who were teens are now in our mid 20's and use AF as a way to stay connected and waste time. No new pesky brats have taken our spot really. Who knows where they are currently.. Probably something like reddit...

We grew up. Despite that I know I still have my old temper occasionally when I get passionate about something; it's why I'll never remove palmtop tiger from my user title. That being said.... I still hate insults on users.... If you insult someone I will still likely end you....

*Sets up a steel chair and sits in it*

Bring it on. Everybody who knows our history understands you want to insult me! Actually, if this was 2012 you would of already! Stay mature, but bring it on champ! Yoko wants to be insulted... or at least debated with..!
    Last edited by Anime Forum; 06-05-2016 at 03:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information