AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Watch The Anime or Read The Manga: The Eternal Dilemma?

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-12-2024 01:59 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Re: Watch The Anime or Read The Manga: The Eternal Dilemma?

Anime and manga are two different medium. It's like a movie based on a book. Each should be judged independently of the other. In other words, don't compare an anime series to the manga because both have aspects which do not apply to the other.

Member ritatata is on a distinguished road ritatata's Avatar
    Gil
    Bashful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-03-2016 08:31 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I think pretty much like @PictureGuy . But if I had to choose...

Also, it's difficult to judge to be honest and I will speak for myself. I can't be really objective as I watched a lot more of anime than I read mangas. Maybe someone have a more mathematical answer and can say what proportion of anime is better than the manga series and vice-versa.

As you said the original medium might differs and it's tempting to watch directly the original source for a production.
    Sometimes it is from a manga series.
    Sometimes the original source is from a visual novel, ,
    a (light) novel,
    when it's not the anime itself.

But to be honest, the original source is not always the best.

you may ask yourself what should be important :
    - animation, characters, feels ? Then maybe I will probably watch the anime version.
    - details, plot, humor ? I might try the manga then.
    (again I usually do that but it might not be the best, sometimes action scenes are very well shown in a manga, and sometimes humor might be better in the anime)

If it was just that, the choice would be too easy. So you should see the people who worked on the anime and the manga as well. That's why you should pay attention to the staff (illustrator, director, voice actors, scenario director, etc.)

Ultimately, if you still don't know you might let people you share taste with help you to choose which version watch/read, or read critics (I don't like doing that though).

Well, at least that's how I conceive it.
    Last edited by ritatata; 10-29-2016 at 07:19 PM.

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

This thread brings to mind Eureka 7. As I understand it, this is one of the few times the anime came before the manga. I do not read mangas much. Very rarely actually. But I did read Eureka 7 after watching the anime. It starts off the same, but the manga goes in several different directions. Holland i not such a bully, and if I remember correctly is somewhat protective of Renton.

But the biggest differences are:

Dominic dies, and Eureka is presumed dead. No memorial service is held for Eureka because Renton insists she is still alive. The manga ends with Renton returning home with Eureka's children to wait for her return.

Then there is the Eureka 7 movie, Good Night, Sleep Tight, Young Lovers. It has the same characters, but with totally different personalities. The story is nothing at all like the series or the manga. I think there is a second movie out there, but it is not available in the US.

Little Green Miko Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome's Avatar
    Gil
    Blah
    Gifts Kawaiislice Aria Neko Pluto Garnet Orb
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-23-2023 10:19 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Kagxme4988 PSN ID: KagomeMiko

Only way to actually judge which you like better is to do both.
    That's often what I do. If I find an anime I really like the concept of-I'll watch it and then go find the manga and read it. Often times I come to find the manga is better because it does go further, or the story winds up differently and the manga story line is generally better, imo. That happened with quite a few series I've watched and then read.
    Sometimes it works the other way for me too, but I can't say that's too often...Usually if I read the manga first I don't bother looking for the anime. But that's just me..lol

On the other hand-with super long series' like Bleach, Fairy Tail or D.Gray-Man I won't even bother watching the anime because its actually hella faster to read the Manga then sit through hours of animation. (never mind the fact that there are no fillers in the manga)
    How'd You Like That On Your Lawn?!
    "I may be empty, but I'm not worthless!"

...Clear...

5. Likes ritatata liked this post
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

But doesn't one contain spoilers of the other?

I prefer the visual arts anyway. When it comes to reading, I tend to stay away from fiction. I stick with history, etc.

Little Green Miko Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome's Avatar
    Gil
    Blah
    Gifts Kawaiislice Aria Neko Pluto Garnet Orb
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-23-2023 10:19 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Kagxme4988 PSN ID: KagomeMiko

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    But doesn't one contain spoilers of the other?

I prefer the visual arts anyway. When it comes to reading, I tend to stay away from fiction. I stick with history, etc.
    Uh-whut...? Spoilers of the other? Uhm...not really? O-o I mean - if you do one first then go and do the other--you might know ahead some of what's going on--but more often then not-they wind up splitting from each other.

Sides--if you really like the series--who would care if you read/see it all again?
    How'd You Like That On Your Lawn?!
    "I may be empty, but I'm not worthless!"

...Clear...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information