AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Other Japanese Interests?

Senior Member Keena has a reputation beyond repute Keena has a reputation beyond repute Keena has a reputation beyond repute Keena has a reputation beyond repute Keena has a reputation beyond repute Keena has a reputation beyond repute Keena has a reputation beyond repute Keena has a reputation beyond repute Keena has a reputation beyond repute Keena has a reputation beyond repute Keena has a reputation beyond repute Keena's Avatar
    Gil
    Dead
    Gifts Blue Saber Pluto Garnet Orb Pen
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-19-2015 01:30 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Re: Other Japanese Interests?

I really love Japanese Music, Artists and Weaponry, just to name a few.
    Weapons really capture my attention because of the craftsmanship. *-*
    || Uta's MellBell & Xanfiore's Imouto ||

Banned Forum / Chat Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts V Guitar Electric Guitar Black Guitar
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-30-2016 08:54 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: gurutar Steam ID: gurutar2015

Quote Originally Posted by Keena View Post
    I really love Japanese Music, Artists and Weaponry, just to name a few.
    Weapons really capture my attention because of the craftsmanship. *-*
    note my post on katanas

Senior Member Keena has a reputation beyond repute Keena has a reputation beyond repute Keena has a reputation beyond repute Keena has a reputation beyond repute Keena has a reputation beyond repute Keena has a reputation beyond repute Keena has a reputation beyond repute Keena has a reputation beyond repute Keena has a reputation beyond repute Keena has a reputation beyond repute Keena has a reputation beyond repute Keena's Avatar
    Gil
    Dead
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by horrendous View Post
    note my post on katanas
    Mm, it's all part of the appeal of the weapon.

Banned Forum / Chat Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Mm, it's all part of the appeal of the weapon.
    have you ever wielded one? i've practiced kendo with bokken but never wielded a genuine katana in combat... man what a romantic way to kill someone.

Gil
    Dead
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

have you ever wielded one? i've practiced kendo with bokken but never wielded a genuine katana in combat... man what a romantic way to kill someone.
    I haven't had the pleasure of wielding a real one, as yet.
    Instead, I've had to play around with things like mopsticks and cosplay katanas. xD

Gil
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I haven't had the pleasure of wielding a real one, as yet.
    Instead, I've had to play around with things like mopsticks and cosplay katanas. xD
    lol ya i remember those days, swinging mop handles around in my living room and accidentally smashing all kinds of grozit. in my mind i was a skilled warrior but in reality i was a ten year old in his underwear and a mop handle.

i always challenge my friends to sword fights too, no one ever wants to cause i trained in kendo ^-^ i have an arsenal of fake $100 katanas, i wanna buy a cold steel battle ready katana for right around a grand and slice up tatami rugs in my back yard ^-^

Senior Member 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ's Avatar
    Gil
    Dead
    Gifts Bigro MA 05 Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-18-2015 01:23 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The other aspect of Japanese culture I'm fond of is theatre.
    The All female Takarazuka Revue, which is musical theatre that holds about 20 different productions per year of all kinds, from traditional kabuki-style, to modern plays, and revues with sparkles and feathers
    There is a beautiful article from The Japan Times for the Revue in English for everyone interested to know more.
    The treatre will be 100 years old next year and it is unique in many aspects than any other single gender theatre in Japan or even the world

EDIT: for the OP here's a pic I took of Fujisan

Last edited by 星らぶ; 10-20-2013 at 11:38 PM.

8. Likes Schmizz liked this post
    Member Schmizz is on a distinguished road Schmizz's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2014 03:16 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Hoshirabu View Post
    EDIT: for the OP here's a pic I took of Fujisan

Ahh man, I wish I could go... But I have to work full time now, so any chance to leave the country has long since passed :/ thanks for the pic though!

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

@horrendous & Keena, I also found the individual weapons themselves to be works of art. Though I've never pratice armed martial arts (or any for that matter), I've seen the difference firsthand between a $100 Chinese made sword and a "real" one. Not just the appearance though, it just felt different, and its hard to describe because I know little on the subject..

Gil
    Dead
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

@Schmizz , you can see and feel the difference, really. The craftsmanship is visible in the blade and the hilt. The weight is also to be noted because of different materials for different weapons. Little things like that demand appreciation.

Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    569 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-30-2016 01:28 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Besides anime and jrpg's, I like the random technology tidbits japan has. They seem to have the most unusual kinds of tech.
    Another are the Japanese fashion. Alot of people dress to impress even if they don't have to. The girls especially look nice *nosebleeds*
    Speaking of bleed, the Samurai and their way of life is intriguing.

Senior Member 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ's Avatar
    Gil
    Dead
    Gifts Bigro MA 05 Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-18-2015 01:23 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Schmizz View Post
    Ahh man, I wish I could go... But I have to work full time now, so any chance to leave the country has long since passed :/ thanks for the pic though![COLOR="Silver"]
    you are welcome,
    Japan is a really beautiful place and mixes both modern and old that makes the view very unique
    I hope you can visit one day and enjoy the beauty

Gil
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

on $100 katanas there's always a couple tell-tale signs on their cheapness.
    1. the tsuba (hand guard) is always loose and ready to fall off.
    2. the wavy part of the edge always is completely uniform because it's printed on the blade.

i own a lot of $100 katanas and they all have these recognizable signs of cheapness.

Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

on $100 katanas there's always a couple tell-tale signs on their cheapness.
    1. the tsuba (hand guard) is always loose and ready to fall off.
    2. the wavy part of the edge always is completely uniform because it's printed on the blade.

i own a lot of $100 katanas and they all have these recognizable signs of cheapness.
    Pretty sure that goes for all knockoffs, like you can tell the difference between a good, $1500+ suit, compared to a sears/walmart suit, just feels different and/or wrong :/

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

Actually i've studied a lot of japanese mythology. unfortunately there aren'tthat many books with detailed stories on it in English.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Just found out there's a maid cafe in my area, gonna go check it out with my brother on saturday for sh**s and giggles... Always wanted to go to one just to see what its like, although I'm sure its nothing like the ones in japan :P

teed's Puppy International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818's Avatar
    Gil
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-07-2020 05:11 PM
    Threads

I don't know. Since I joined Animeforum 7 years ago (holy crap.....) I have done a lot of growing up. I used to be obsessed with anime and japanese culture but as I grew up I slowly let that go. I embraced new things and it stuck. I don't know what it was about Japanese culture but I loved it. Now whenever I watch a documentary about Japanese culture I kinda cringe. There are a lot of highly reputable industries that I admire. Mostly the business sector (studied business and marketing in university) but as for pop culture, it really is this pseudo culture built on being crazy trend setters. Then again what culture isn't but I feel the Japanese have always have had a nag for being really good at it. I guess the other thing that made me detach from Japanese culture is more of a deeper reason (here comes the ex story). I was in love with this girl for 4 years and things were going extremely well. She was fluent in Japanese and knew so much about the culture. She had an extreme heart for Japan. After the Tsunami she left to do a missions trip to aid the victims. I had planned on proposing and leaving my life to be with her and doing missionary work with her (it had been something I wanted to do but I wasn't sure about Japan). Anyway, the day was nearing that I was going to propose but then she dropped the bomb on me and told me she is gay and had been the whole relationship. It left me broken and I broke all ties from her. It has been over a year and I have not spoken to her since. I detached myself from anything that reminded me of her which included anything Japanese. It explains my absence last year for any of the older members who remember me.

But anyway, now that you know me a little more, that is why I just don't have much of a fascination with Japanese culture. Again, I love the business side, the products they push out into the global market, and etc but as for the corazón of Japan I just don't appreciate as I used to.

18. Thanks Schmizz thanked for this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by International 4-8818 View Post
    I don't know. Since I joined Animeforum 7 years ago (holy crap.....) I have done a lot of growing up. I used to be obsessed with anime and japanese culture but as I grew up I slowly let that go. I embraced new things and it stuck. I don't know what it was about Japanese culture but I loved it. Now whenever I watch a documentary about Japanese culture I kinda cringe. There are a lot of highly reputable industries that I admire. Mostly the business sector (studied business and marketing in university) but as for pop culture, it really is this pseudo culture built on being crazy trend setters. Then again what culture isn't but I feel the Japanese have always have had a nag for being really good at it. I guess the other thing that made me detach from Japanese culture is more of a deeper reason (here comes the ex story). I was in love with this girl for 4 years and things were going extremely well. She was fluent in Japanese and knew so much about the culture. She had an extreme heart for Japan. After the Tsunami she left to do a missions trip to aid the victims. I had planned on proposing and leaving my life to be with her and doing missionary work with her (it had been something I wanted to do but I wasn't sure about Japan). Anyway, the day was nearing that I was going to propose but then she dropped the bomb on me and told me she is gay and had been the whole relationship. It left me broken and I broke all ties from her. It has been over a year and I have not spoken to her since. I detached myself from anything that reminded me of her which included anything Japanese. It explains my absence last year for any of the older members who remember me.

But anyway, now that you know me a little more, that is why I just don't have much of a fascination with Japanese culture. Again, I love the business side, the products they push out into the global market, and etc but as for the corazón of Japan I just don't appreciate as I used to.
    wow thats pretty messed up... Interestingly enough I wound up getting into anime/japanese culture because of a girl I was seeing at the time, and now its mostly because its better than hlaf the crap I see on tv now anyways....or maybe just because its different than the things that surround me in everyday life.

Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Ok, so I need some help, I'm looking for an overcoat that I've seen referenced as tokko-fuku or something like that. Its a military style overcoat. I plan on using it for an upcoming shoot with a somewhat boso style setting, with american influences... Anyone know where I can get one??

Edit: Or anything that would tie into the boso theme really... Not sure where I'm headed with this.
    Last edited by Schmizz; 11-05-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    569 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-30-2016 01:28 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Schmizz View Post
    Ok, so I need some help, I'm looking for an overcoat that I've seen referenced as tokko-fuku or something like that. Its a military style overcoat. I plan on using it for an upcoming shoot with a somewhat boso style setting, with american influences... Anyone know where I can get one??

Edit: Or anything that would tie into the boso theme really... Not sure where I'm headed with this.
    When in doubt, browse online stores.

Senior Member AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-14-2016 08:56 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: DesuMaiden

Pretty much watching anime, reading manga, & fapping to hentai, lolicon, yuri, and ecchi (basically anime porn featuring anime girls) are the only Japanese interests I have. And most of my anime and manga reading/watching is for porn of anime girls (which is again looking at and fapping to hentai, lolicon, yuri and ecchi).

Senior Member Maki the contractor has a reputation beyond repute Maki the contractor has a reputation beyond repute Maki the contractor has a reputation beyond repute Maki the contractor has a reputation beyond repute Maki the contractor has a reputation beyond repute Maki the contractor has a reputation beyond repute Maki the contractor has a reputation beyond repute Maki the contractor has a reputation beyond repute Maki the contractor has a reputation beyond repute Maki the contractor has a reputation beyond repute Maki the contractor has a reputation beyond repute Maki the contractor's Avatar
    Gil
    Worried
    Gifts Popsicle Cookie Ramen
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-25-2015 09:16 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I love the way they set up their vending machines. I don't know way though... oh yeah all of the snacks and i love they way they speak. Japan is so interesting. oh yeah and the o-hanami festival too, though i've never been. I also get caught up in their baseball too!
    "I would destroy this city or anything else she asked"

Maki the Contractor

Senior Member ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-14-2024 08:26 PM
    Threads

Food, places, music, almost everything about it.

I love the Skytree, I love Hiroshima, I love Akihabara, I love Ikebukuro, I love all the shrines and temples and almost everything about Japan. Been living here for 4 years.
    Check out my anime reviews at: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/users/hajimenojmo[/URL] and http://blog.honeyfeed.fm/

Closed Thread

Thread Information