AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Urban Legend Anime

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-18-2024 09:00 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Question Urban Legend Anime

I got this idea for a threat from one started by Clayton on urban legends in general. I was thinking about anime series or movies which are based on an urban legend. The legend may have been made up especially for that anime, or it may be one which has been appropriated. Either way, the urban legend has to be a major plot point.

I can only think of two off hand.

Hell Girl and all follow-up series. After a gap of several years, the fourth Hell Girl series came out about a year ago. I have only seen the first three. Log onto the Hell Girl website at midnight sharp, and type in the name of the person you want to send to hell. But there is a price for your revenge.

Boogeypop Phantom. Boogeypop will get you if you don't watch out. This is a hard series to follow, but that's part of it's charm. Not only are the episodes not in chronological order, but the scenes in each episode are not in order as well. The drab color scheme actually draws you in. I would like to have seen more.

I will try to think of more. Meanwhile, what can you come up with.

Jackie Coogan, Charlie Chaplin, and Charles Reisner as the Bully.

Reisner was a former pro boxer who turned actor, writer, and director. He previously worked for Chaplin behind the camera on The Gold Rush. Reisner would later become known as a comedy director working with The Marx Brothers, Jack Benny, and Abbot and Costello, among others.

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Default Re: Urban Legend Anime

From Boogiepop Phantom, Boogiepop strikes.

Reisner was a former pro boxer who turned actor, writer, and director. He previously worked for Chaplin behind the camera on The Gold Rush. Reisner would later become known as a comedy director working with The Marx Brothers, Jack Benny, and Abbot and Costello, among others.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-11-2024 06:40 PM
    Threads

Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1332006...-Complete-Book

Requiem From the Darkness
    Ghost Stories
    Yamishibai
    Junji Ito Collection.
    Ghost Hunt
    haunted junction
    Mythical Detective loki
    Seven Mysteries
    Durarara
    https://gegegenokitaro.fandom.com/wi...hool_Mysteries
    Nightwalker
    Cabin the in the Woods (live action)
    In/Spectre
    Zoids (Chain saw man)
    Ponyo
    Spirited Away
    Petshop of Horrors
    XxXholic
    Yu Yu hakuho
    When They Cry
    One Punch Man (the area in city Z where monsters live)
    bakemonogatari
    Samurai Horror tales/Monogatari
    Kaku Ren bo
    Inuyasha
    Fullmetal alchemist
    Supernatural
    Kekkaishi
    Death Note
    Kiss note
    Future Diary
    A letter to Momo
    Mushi-shi
    Serial Experiments Lain
    Another
    Kindred Spirits
    Strawberry panic
    The Curse of Kudan
    Wicked city
    Hellboy: Sword of thee Storm
    Ushio and Tora
    Morose Monoken
    Yugioh
    The Forest of the Firefly lights
    Bleach
    Hozuki's coolheadedness
    Sgt Frog
    Seven of Seven
    My Little Pony friendship is magic (Nightmare night. Who has my rusty horseshoe?)
    Serial Experiments Lain
    Pokemon
    Coraline
    Corpse Bride
    Kubo and the 2 Strings
    Rosario vampire
    Soul Eater
    Card Captor Sakura
    .hack
    Natsume Yuujinchou
    Nurarihyon
    Kamisama Kiss
    The Ring
    Wolf children
    Boy and beast

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ghosts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monogatari

https://team-yellow.com/2014/01/13/e...urban-legends/

https://aminoapps.com/c/anime/page/b...1e6MYrLljMe0eB

There's a rumor going around about the urban legend known as "Kudan."
    They say that it takes the form of a woman in mourning dress, her face covered by a black veil, her right severed at the wrist...
    They say that those who lay eyes on her are doomed to have misfortune befall them within seven days...

Feelings start to bud between student Sakuya Kudan and culinary teacher Touko Shima after coincidence brings them into one another's orbit.
    However, their peaceful everyday life is abruptly shattered when Touko sees Kudan, the harbinger of calamity.
    The hours tick down as Sakuya rushes find a way to combat the curse, and her search brings her to the academy's Occult Research Club and its president, Koto Ashinaki.
    Now she must face off against the unknown in order to protect the people she loves...

================================================== ======================

Three "Kudans" await you

The First Kudan
    The urban legend that's the talk of the town.
    An apparition that appears as a woman shrouded in mourning dress and brings misfortune to any who lay eyes on her.
    This is the Kudan at the center of this tale.

The Second Kudan
    The district where the characters live: Kudan District (North & South), Chiyoda Ward, Tokyo.
    The story enfolds across the stage of this little corner of Japan's bustling metropolis.
    Locations include Kudan Women's Academy, Kudanzaka Park, and the local station area.

The Third Kudan
    Sakuya Kudan, the story's protagonist. Strangely, she shares her name with the local apparition.
    Since childhood she has been plagued by strange nightmares which have now taken on a shape from urban folklore.
    Soon she will learn of her deep connection to the "Kudan" of legend...

“A person often meets her destiny on the road she took to avoid it.”

Sakuya Kudan is doomed never to get what she wants, but to always be fettered by a fate she didn't ask for.
    Yet running from fate sends her straight into its open arms...
    As she seeks to avoid it, she encounters Touko Shima; when choosing to take it into her own hands, she meets Koto Ashinaki.
    What will these women find swirling within the mysterious mists of myth and legend...?

Ghosts in the gloaming, and girls with rawness in their pasts

Apparitions appear in the witching hour as the girls grapple with their own personal curses.

Last edited by Clayton_n; 12-07-2020 at 06:05 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ Many of those I don't consider urban legends anime. Inuyasha? Not quite.

But I forgot about Celty, the shapely urban legend of Durarara and DurararaX2.

Spirited Away is a fantasy, but an urban legend anime? Debatable, but I will give that one to you.

I did consider Bleach. Again debatable, but I won't argue it.

Death Note? OK.

Ghost Stories? Please do not mention that turd of a series again! I am trying to forget it!

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The horror of Ghost Story:

Stay away from this crap!

Yes, the jokes are funny when taken out of context. But these same scenes in their proper place in the anime totally suck. The jokes do not work.
    Last edited by PictureGuy; 12-08-2020 at 02:13 PM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From Hell Girl, Ai claims another victim:

Oh, pitiful shadow. . . .

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The hotest urban legend in town:

Celty may not have a head, but she's got the bod.

From Durarara.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post

Ghost Stories? Please do not mention that turd of a series again! I am trying to forget it!
    The English dub was awesome.

Inuyasha the grandfather's always telling stories, like that one about the cursed mask or the jewel... plus have you heard about that dog eared boy seen around town lately?

Hanako just got its own series with a boy ghost.

In spirited Away they did a cure for cooties and No-face offers gold so he can eat you...

A lot of Miyazaki movies are like this. Pom-Poko... those Tanuki?
    Last edited by Clayton_n; 12-16-2020 at 01:37 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

It really depends on how you look at Miyazaki's films. Many of them do draw on what you would call an urban legend, but in the context of the film the legends often seem part of the normal world. So does that make them urban legend anime? I'll give you this one. I would say My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away are urban legend anime. Pom Poko moreso. (Note: Co-written by Miyazaki, but not directed by him.) I would not include Porco Russo, however. The main character is presented as a real person, though a pig, and not a legend.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    It really depends on how you look at Miyazaki's films. Many of them do draw on what you would call an urban legend, but in the context of the film the legends often seem part of the normal world. So does that make them urban legend anime? I'll give you this one. I would say My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away are urban legend anime. Pom Poko moreso. (Note: Co-written by Miyazaki, but not directed by him.) I would not include Porco Russo, however. The main character is presented as a real person, though a pig, and not a legend.
    i don't know. I could buy a legend about a pig faced man. There's that human aced down.

plenty of anime have living/cursed dolls. In fact I'm pretty sure Zatch bell is nothing else.

What about the others I listed?

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

A lot of those others I haven't seen.

If you like cursed dolls, you'll love this one:

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Google the suckers.

And I've seen the Twilight zone. Also Chinga from the X-files.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Google the suckers.

And I've seen the Twilight zone. Also Chinga from the X-files.
    Have you ever seen Magic with Anthony Hopkins and Ann-Margaret? It's the same concept, and done very well.

I'll go back even further. Try to find The Great Gabbo with Erich von Stroheim. This time its all in von Stroheim's head. Watch the whole movie here:

Last edited by PictureGuy; 12-30-2020 at 08:02 PM.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

So is Goosebumps. Remember Slappy?

Did you click on the kakurenbo thing up top?

Anywho what urban legend anime do you know? this is your thread. If nothing else check wikipedia for the ones I listed.

I just published this sucker https://www.amazon.com/Thats-How-Hea...=books&sr=1-19

Last edited by Clayton_n; 01-04-2021 at 04:33 PM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ My Neighbor Totoro is based on a kidnapping/rape/murder? That is a sick thought.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Lots of anime are based on that.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Lots of anime are based on that.
    But those are not kid or family anime, are they?

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

A: Who said they had to be?

And B: Many of them are family friendly shows. You just didn't bother to check.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ I was only talking about My Neighbor Totoro. It's a kid's anime, so to think it was inspired by a kidnapping/rape/murder is just plain weird.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Rape? Don't think so.

Anyway check out the ones I listed and tell me what you think.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information