AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anime You Would Not Recommend to Newbies

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Question Anime You Would Not Recommend to Newbies

We started talking about anime we would recommend to somebody who never watched anime before. Now let’s talk about anime you would NEVER recommend to a newbie.

I am not talking about anime which is crappy, awful, or just plain bad. I am talking about good anime. Maybe even classic anime. Maybe even one of your personal favorites. But for whatever reason, and I want you to give the reason, you would not recommend to anyone not familiar with the genre.

My choices:

Elfin Lied. This is a popular anime series. Some consider it a classic. But it contains graphic nudity, violence by and against children, and at least one scene depicting pedophilia. I’m afraid a newbie will watch this and come away thinking that all anime, and its viewers, are sick. Actually, I know quite a few people who would draw this conclusion.

FLCL. There’s no question that the two sequels, FLCL Progressive and FLCL Alternate, should not be viewed by anyone. They are that bad. But the original FLCL is one of the great series of all time. It is one of the best, if not the best, "dumb but fun" anime series ever. Why would I not recommend this series to a first time anime viewer? Because one of the things FLCL does so well is that it spoofs anime itself. I don’t believe anyone can fully appreciate FLCL unless they are already somewhat versed in anime. I would, however, highly recommend this series after our inexperienced friend has about a dozen anime series under his/her belt.

Boogiepop Phantom. This series is one of my favorites, but it may be too much for many experienced viewers, let alone a first-timer. Not only are the episodes not in chronological order, but the scenes within each episode are not in chronological order. It took me more than a half-dozen viewings, with the original dub and subtitles, and the English dub, to figure out what was going on. It was well worth my time to stick with the series, but I doubt a newbie would have that much patience.

What are your choices, and explain why. Re-read the second paragraph above before you post.

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Default Re: Anime You Would Not Recommend to Newbies

So you have an anime virgin on your hands, and you would like to introduce him/her to the world of anime. You show them Elfin Lied, a popular classic anime, and you come across this scene:

Your newbie will probably come away thinking that anime is sick, those who produce anime are sick, those who watch anime are sick, and you are sick. If this is their first frame of reference, who can blame them.

Although, I remember growing up with kids who are not too far removed from what we see in this scene. No kidding!

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

I don't understand the title of this thread.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    I don't understand the title of this thread.
    There's an anime you watched. You liked it. You thought it was great. But for whatever reason, you would never show this to someone who has never seen anime before.

Member Basara1 is on a distinguished road Basara1's Avatar
    Gil
    Innocent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-20-2021 02:25 AM
    Threads

Gintama, it is very funny but has too many references to other anime series that newbie obviously hasn't watched.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Basara1 View Post
    Gintama, it is very funny but has too many references to other anime series that newbie obviously hasn't watched.
    That's similar to the reason I would not recommend FLCL. It spoofs anime and manga quite a bit, and I feel the uninitiated would not appreciated so much. I would recommend it later on. I would guess you would do the same with Gintama.

I have never seen Gintama, but it looks like what I call Dumb, but Fun. I would ask what the plot is, but somehow I get the feeling that is important.

Did I see at least three visual references to Dragonball Z?

The story, if you can find it, is not important to FLCL either. That may throw a few newbies off.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Boogiepop Phantom is one of my favorites because of its darkness. But even anime veterans, let alone newbies, would have a hard time following an anime with such an unorthodox narrative style. Only newbies may not have the patience to view and review several times over.

Senior Member Tsundere Magus will become famous soon enough Tsundere Magus's Avatar
    Angelic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-22-2021 07:17 AM
    Threads

One of many slice of life anime shows. I love them, and they do help me reflect an ideal world. Basically, they are quite calming. But sadly, it is not everyone's cup of tea.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Tsundere Magus View Post
    One of many slice of life anime shows. I love them, and they do help me reflect an ideal world. Basically, they are quite calming. But sadly, it is not everyone's cup of tea.
    I guess you would not recommend a slice of life to someone who is into violent action movies. But what about someone like yourself?

Senior Member Tsundere Magus will become famous soon enough Tsundere Magus's Avatar
    Angelic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-22-2021 07:17 AM
    Threads

Not without knowing in advance, at least. I do recommend Hitori Bocchi, for example, and more or less quite often! But usually I am used to being in the minority. That's fine, still! With this answer I leave an example as well, Bocchi is a must protect girl, after all. Recently read the manga as well, and I keep my word. It is very pure in all its shapes and forms.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    There's an anime you watched. You liked it. You thought it was great. But for whatever reason, you would never show this to someone who has never seen anime before.
    Nooo... nothing I enjoyed. There were some that sucked, but nothing I liked would I not invite newbies,. random strangers, children... but then I have very low moral fiber.

Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    but then I have very low moral fiber.
    Well, at least you have some fiber. Any fiber will help keep you regular.

Sorry. I can't resist a bad joke.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    Well, at least you have some fiber. Any fiber will help keep you regular.

Sorry. I can't resist a bad joke.
    Clearly. Now if you had any good jokes that would be better.

Junior Member oofingberg is on a distinguished road oofingberg's Avatar
    Gil
    Depressed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2022 03:34 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: oofberg

Genocyber. don't think I have to say more on that one.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by oofingberg View Post
    Genocyber. don't think I have to say more on that one.
    I don't know that one, so please do say more.

Junior Member oofingberg is on a distinguished road oofingberg's Avatar
    Gil
    Depressed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2022 03:34 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: oofberg

Its one of those ultra violent OVAs from the 80s and 90s. "the first OVA is centered around a young girl named Elaine, and details the development and creation of a "Genocyber", an ultimate biological weapon created by combining the powers and consciousness of two psychic sisters. The project is directed by a mad scientist and funded by the Kuryu Group, a huge Japanese corporation that is a world leader in military research."

🐮🔪 "I'll see it when I believe it" 🐮🔪 ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Cookie Cookie Hedgehog
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-16-2023 02:57 PM
    The corner of Everywhere and Nowhere, ya dig?
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: TwilightWolf2508 Steam ID: zombiewolf2508

KonoSuba. It's such a fun anime, but as a parody series, it's a lot better once you've seen enough Isekai anime for some of the jokes and tropes to hit right.

Most other stuff I'd recommend from what I've seen, aside from stuff that's bad in a way that isnt even entertaining *cough* absolute duo *cough*

My mood on a daily basis

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieWolf2508 View Post
    KonoSuba. It's such a fun anime, but as a parody series, it's a lot better once you've seen enough Isekai anime for some of the jokes and tropes to hit right.
    If I understand what you are saying, you would not recommend KonoSuba for the same reason I would not recommend FLCL to a newbie. You need to be more familiar with anime before fully appreciating it.

Junior Member lesliewhyte is on a distinguished road lesliewhyte's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-04-2022 07:37 AM
    Threads

I think they refer to anime that is not good for someone who is new to this subject
    I love to play... power, puzzle, cars & moo...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information