AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using glitches in speedruns?

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2022 04:19 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Using glitches in speedruns?

So for those not familiar, a speedrun is a challenge to beat a game start to end in the shortest period of time possible. The issue? Using in game glitches and what have you to achieve this. I mean the speedrunners aren't doing anything "wrong" per se, but it can be annoying when half of the run is because of sub-par codding mechanics. Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Skylar1; 02-07-2016 at 08:34 PM.
    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

<span style="font-weight:bold; font-style:italic; color:lemonchiffon; "></span> Holocast has a reputation beyond repute Holocast has a reputation beyond repute Holocast has a reputation beyond repute Holocast has a reputation beyond repute Holocast has a reputation beyond repute Holocast has a reputation beyond repute Holocast has a reputation beyond repute Holocast has a reputation beyond repute Holocast has a reputation beyond repute Holocast has a reputation beyond repute Holocast has a reputation beyond repute Holocast's Avatar
    Gil
    Sassy
    Gifts Ramen Kawaiislice Four Leaf Clover
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-23-2016 06:39 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: cthulhulover69

Default Re: Using glitches in speedruns?

Well. If the glitches are in-game and the creators didn't see it fit to fix any of them, I say why not go ahead and use it? It's already part of the game, if you don't know about them then you'll surely find out from other videos.

Then again, if it's like a competition against certain others, then I don't think glitches should be used. But if it's just for your YouTube/Twitch channel then I say why not? They're there, probably going to always be there, so you might as well use them.

Plus, it makes it more interesting imo to see game glitches and see how they're being utilized for certain things.
    Song Of The Moment:
    "Dreams are made winding through my head"

Signature made by me.
    *click below*

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

Quote Originally Posted by Holocast View Post
    Well. If the glitches are in-game and the creators didn't see it fit to fix any of them, I say why not go ahead and use it? It's already part of the game, if you don't know about them then you'll surely find out from other videos.

Then again, if it's like a competition against certain others, then I don't think glitches should be used. But if it's just for your YouTube/Twitch channel then I say why not? They're there, probably going to always be there, so you might as well use them.

Plus, it makes it more interesting imo to see game glitches and see how they're being utilized for certain things.
    Pretty much all of this. If it's a legit glitch in the game and not a mod glitch or anything else then it's fair game really.

Speed runs are quite pointless anyways. Yeah you went through a game super duper fast. Bravo. No time to enjoy it. At least with glitches it makes it more interesting. Also most of the times the glitches are so complex you don't really nail them on the first try or first few tries either thus cutting into your time.

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Gifts Ice Cream Ice Cream Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-22-2017 11:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

^ this.

A speedrun is literally defined as thus: completing a game in the shortest amount of time possible, taking advantage of every possible 'contained' in-game method that can be used to shave time off. (( By contained I mean what is coded into the game, intentional or otherwise, without using external software or hardware to manipulate the game )).

So by the literal definition of a speedrun, is using glitches that are present in the game valid? Yes. And quite frankly, some of the glitches in games are hilarious oversights or unintended quirks of physics engines. Others, honestly, I don't even comprehend how people found them and part of the appeal to speedruns for me is how people discover these things (( Blue House Skip on Paper Mario is one such, as are the multitude of physics speed manipulations in Mario 64 that I can't understand how people discovered )). Part of the appeal of a speedrun to me isn't the run itself, but it's what effect the glitches end up having; they can often be very entertaining (and TASes are very good at being entertaining.)

I can understand that some people believe using glitches to be unsporting, because glitches are unintended behaviour in the game due to a code bug/oversight. That's why there are plenty of different speedrun categories in a game, because sometimes people like to see how fast a game can be played 'as it's intended' versus how fast it can be completed no matter what. It's all in good fun in the end, and hey -- think about it. Speedruns raise charity money. Can't complain there.

edit

AGDQ 2014 Trihex hype. lol.
    Last edited by Ranshiin; 02-07-2016 at 08:54 PM.
    : The Game. You just lost it. :

My signature was so old it broke. RIP signature.

🐮🔪 "I'll see it when I believe it" 🐮🔪 ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Cookie Cookie Hedgehog
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-16-2023 02:57 PM
    The corner of Everywhere and Nowhere, ya dig?
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: TwilightWolf2508 Steam ID: zombiewolf2508

I don't have a problem with it. If it's in the game and doable without any sort of third party software, it's completely fair.

My mood on a daily basis

Senior Member Sustainna has a reputation beyond repute Sustainna has a reputation beyond repute Sustainna has a reputation beyond repute Sustainna has a reputation beyond repute Sustainna has a reputation beyond repute Sustainna has a reputation beyond repute Sustainna has a reputation beyond repute Sustainna has a reputation beyond repute Sustainna has a reputation beyond repute Sustainna has a reputation beyond repute Sustainna has a reputation beyond repute Sustainna's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Movie Ticket Red Dango Notebook
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-05-2018 01:37 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Solomore Steam ID: sustainna

There are always Glitchless% runs. Many of the games that are popular for speedrunning have these.
    I believe Zelda and Crash Bandicoot are good examples.
    "Used to be named Solomore. Adopted a new Username/Handle. Find me on Twitch! Twitch.tv/sustainna"
    If My Heart Had Wings Review: ~*10/10*~ http://www.animeforum.com/showthread...eart-Had-Wings
    Katawa Shoujo Review: 9/10 http://www.animeforum.com/showthread...-Katawa-Shoujo
    Facebook Page for Visual Novel Fans: https://www.facebook.com/visualnovelfanclub

7. Likes Astral_Mage liked this post
    Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I think for bragging rights, one should complete a game without glitches. For entertaining purposes though, especially those raising funds then I guess anything goes. Nothing serious.

Junior Member Elusive Toaster has a reputation beyond repute Elusive Toaster has a reputation beyond repute Elusive Toaster has a reputation beyond repute Elusive Toaster has a reputation beyond repute Elusive Toaster has a reputation beyond repute Elusive Toaster has a reputation beyond repute Elusive Toaster has a reputation beyond repute Elusive Toaster has a reputation beyond repute Elusive Toaster has a reputation beyond repute Elusive Toaster has a reputation beyond repute Elusive Toaster has a reputation beyond repute Elusive Toaster's Avatar
    Gil
    Depressed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-10-2016 05:57 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: asgloki

Like Solomore said, there are always glitchless runs. I don't see the problem in using glitches, it definitely doesn't make it easy, not in most cases anyway. Most of the glitches used take a lot of practice to get right every time. It could be argued that the game wasn't intended to be played that way but I doubt the people doing these speedruns haven't played the game once through without using glitches.

I have a lot of respect for speedrunners that use glitches and those that don't, both put in a ridiculous amount of work to get those WRs.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information