AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: tell me what happened to all the dubs ?

Junior Member pyro tf2 is on a distinguished road pyro tf2's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-04-2014 11:52 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default tell me what happened to all the dubs ?

they all seemed to frizz in there places every thing naroto and fairy tall i found allot but they all have wired voce actors can some one tell my what happened ?

Junior Member Zatchara is on a distinguished road Zatchara's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-25-2014 12:22 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: OmniSlacker

Default Re: tell me what happened to all the dubs ?

I don't know what you mean

Junior Member pyro tf2 is on a distinguished road pyro tf2's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-04-2014 11:52 PM
    Threads

yes that's exactly what i mean -_-

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pyro tf2 View Post
    they all seemed to frizz in there places every thing naroto and fairy tall i found allot but they all have wired voce actors can some one tell my what happened ?
    Plenty of anime still get dubs.. if that is what you mean.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

Member stocksatron has a reputation beyond repute stocksatron has a reputation beyond repute stocksatron has a reputation beyond repute stocksatron has a reputation beyond repute stocksatron has a reputation beyond repute stocksatron has a reputation beyond repute stocksatron has a reputation beyond repute stocksatron has a reputation beyond repute stocksatron has a reputation beyond repute stocksatron has a reputation beyond repute stocksatron has a reputation beyond repute stocksatron's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-17-2014 12:37 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: stocksatron PSN ID: stocksatron

We are still getting quite a few dubs + with the coming of Space Dandy we are even getting simul dubs, however I understand what you are getting at the majority of titles that are released in west aren't getting dubs.

I think this is down to two reasons:

The main reason is down to the sheer number of titles that are being licensed now. Licensors don't have the money to produce a dub for everything they license, and for many series that have smaller fan bases, companies aren't going to make a return large enough on the show in the first place to warrant a dub.

The reason is due to the fact that some members of the anime fan base who are into the more 'out there' series don't tend to watch a production dubbed. If a title like 'Aku no Hana' was to be released in the west for example, creating a dub for it would be deemed as rather pointless as very few members of the viewership would watch the series dubbed.

Senior Member Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-19-2014 05:44 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Fungy Chroom

Same as above. Also not that many anime fans like watching dubs. From all the people I know whom watch anime, they all watch with subs.
    If the dubs of late aren't satisfactory, perhaps try watching with subs?
    He's just a dandy guy, in space.

Senior Member Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Systems Xbox 360 American Flag Ribbon AK47
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2016 03:29 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Light Buster PSN ID: Lightbuster88

Quote Originally Posted by Wakarimashita View Post
    Same as above. Also not that many anime fans like watching dubs. From all the people I know whom watch anime, they all watch with subs.
    If the dubs of late aren't satisfactory, perhaps try watching with subs?
    The only downside in watching subs that the english grammar can be either off in extreme ways along with spelling and there are translators who translate them wrong. Just a hint of warning. But if you really want to watch an anime, you're going have to resort to subs.
    WARNING: This user is wanted for unauthorized access into Ultratech archives. If you see this user in person, please contact Ultratech immediately.

Member stocksatron has a reputation beyond repute stocksatron has a reputation beyond repute stocksatron has a reputation beyond repute stocksatron has a reputation beyond repute stocksatron has a reputation beyond repute stocksatron has a reputation beyond repute stocksatron has a reputation beyond repute stocksatron has a reputation beyond repute stocksatron has a reputation beyond repute stocksatron has a reputation beyond repute stocksatron has a reputation beyond repute stocksatron's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Light Buster View Post
    The only downside in watching subs that the english grammar can be either off in extreme ways along with spelling and there are translators who translate them wrong.
    Whilst I know this isn't the proper thread to be discussing grammatical errors of subs...I think generally if you shop around you can find good translations with good grammar. I've only had a few issues with a licensor's or Crunchyroll's subs in the past and I think you can even find well written fan subs now a days too.

However I do understand that when you are watching something that has been fan subbed and came out recently the subs can be filled with errors.

WOW!!!! Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts AK47 American Flag Ribbon Systems N64
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2023 04:18 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WootenClen

producers realized no sane person would want to listen to a dub

Gil
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Kumagawa View Post
    I'm not so sure, its rather difficult to pull in casual consumers and new comers when it comes to selling a show without a dub. I've had many conversations with new fans at cons or friends who are just starting to get into anime about why I predominantly watch things subbed and they just don't get it. Also many dubs are can actually make for a good watch - Black Lagoon and Haruhi Suzimya both haveexcellent dubs for example. Also if no one watched dubs why are voice actors like Laura Bailey, Jonny Yong, Yuri Lowenthal etc so popular?

Senior Member Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by stocksatron View Post
    I'm not so sure, its rather difficult to pull in casual consumers and new comers when it comes to selling a show without a dub. I've had many conversations with new fans at cons or friends who are just starting to get into anime about why I predominantly watch things subbed and they just don't get it. Also many dubs are can actually make for a good watch - Black Lagoon and Haruhi Suzimya both haveexcellent dubs for example. Also if no one watched dubs why are voice actors like Laura Bailey, Jonny Yong, Yuri Lowenthal etc so popular?
    Must agree Black lagoon has excellent dub, all time classic DBZ has excellent dub to. I recently saw the last movie in sub and the voice of Goku kind off bothered me. But other than those two I have always prefered sub. Probably because it's the language of the creators and suits the emotions better.

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

@Wakarimashita How are emotions any different in Japan then here? They have the exact same emotion range that we have. You might have a preference but do try to come up with something a bit less laughable. Sorry, not trying to be mean but that really needs a bit more thought put into it.

@Thread Language doesn't matter since the lip movement isn't matched to any language since doing so would be incredibly difficult and not at all worth the effort. I don't get the people who hate on dubs just because it's not the original language. Subs can have bad voice acting. I've said this before, if you don't know the language then you shouldn't be saying it's just straight up better. You can say you prefer it but that's as far as it should go.

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I totally agree. I adore subs and IMO dubs are a complete waste of my time, but newer anime fans or casuals just will not.

Haruhi dub was pretty good.
    Last edited by Anime Forum; 01-15-2014 at 01:58 AM.

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Yoko Littner View Post
    I totally agree. I adore subs and IMO dubs are a complete of my time, but newer anime fans or casuals just will not.

Haruhi dub was pretty good.
    Think you dropped something in that sentence.

Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GameGeeks View Post
    @Wakarimashita How are emotions any different in Japan then here? They have the exact same emotion range that we have. You might have a preference but do try to come up with something a bit less laughable. Sorry, not trying to be mean but that really needs a bit more thought put into it.

@Thread Language doesn't matter since the lip movement isn't matched to any language since doing so would be incredibly difficult and not at all worth the effort. I don't get the people who hate on dubs just because it's not the original language. Subs can have bad voice acting. I've said this before, if you don't know the language then you shouldn't be saying it's just straight up better. You can say you prefer it but that's as far as it should go.
    Subs for the most part are straight up better though. There are way more bad dubs than bad subs and that is easily a fact. Debating that is just laughable. I'm down with people liking dubs, but disagreeing with subs being overall better is completely biased and jaw dropping.

If you can name 100 anime with a superior dub I'll debate further. If you cannot then is there a point to debate? I mean no offense of course, but that post made me wonder a bit.

---------- Post added at 02:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 AM ----------

Think you dropped something in that sentence.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Anime Forum; 01-15-2014 at 02:06 AM.

Gil
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Probably because it's the language of the creators and suits the emotions better.
    A dubbed or subbed translation both ultimately contain an interpretation of what you are hearing on screen rather than a straight translation, therefore a subbed translation would still differ slightly from what the creators were exactly trying to say.

17. Likes Stylemaster liked this post
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

I didn't say the emotions are any different. I meant to say that from my point of view according to how I watch/enjoy anime. The lip movements wich correspond to the japanese words match better. Ofcourse there can be bad jap voicing to, but in general they should be in sync the most. I don't hate on dubs either, all I'm saying is that I prefer subs.

Senior Member ~OTAKYU~ is on a distinguished road ~OTAKYU~'s Avatar
    Gil
    Cool
    Gifts Pen IPhone Tsubasa Mokona
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-20-2014 03:57 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Kumagawa View Post
    I know how you feel bro T_T SUB RULES!

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

I didn't say the emotions are any different. I meant to say that from my point of view according to how I watch/enjoy anime. The lip movements wich correspond to the japanese words match better. Ofcourse there can be bad jap voicing to, but in general they should be in sync the most. I don't hate on dubs either, all I'm saying is that I prefer subs.
    No, you just can't tell if they're in sync or not since you don't know the language. All the lip movement does is go up or down. Not that hard to sync any language up to that.

Gil
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

All the lip movement does is go up or down. Not that hard to sync any language up to that.
    It depends how realistic an animation director wants to be though, some really like to have accurate lip movements. And its more about timing, as in how long a character's line is and how long they move their lips with. Also I think even if you don't know any Japanese the show you're watching can be rather jarring if the audio doesn't match the lip movements.

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

It depends how realistic an animation director wants to be though, some really like to have accurate lip movements. And its more about timing, as in how long a character's line is and how long they move their lips with. Also I think even if you don't know any Japanese the show you're watching can be rather jarring if the audio doesn't match the lip movements.
    99% of anime just does the up and down thing. So still not a valid argument. And yes it can but it's not hard to lengthen a sentence or such to fit the lip movement.

Gil
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

And yes it can but it's not hard to lengthen a sentence or such to fit the lip movement.
    Perfect lip synchronisation only became standard as of beginning of the decade though, there are loads of shows from the 80s and 90s which are dubbed in Japanese where the audio is out of time with the video

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Perfect lip synchronisation only became standard as of beginning of the decade though, there are loads of shows from the 80s and 90s which are dubbed in Japanese where the audio is out of time with the video
    There are also plenty from that time that don't have this issue, DB/Z, Slayers, Orphan, Shadow Skill TV, etc. You can have bad dubs, sure. Not everything might match 100% but you can't say things match 100% with subs if you don't know the language. You don't know how the lip movement for the Japanese language is and how it should match up. You do with English so you notice it more. Besides, some of the bad ones seem like it's an editing error. If you push them back a second or so they'd match much better.

Gil
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

You can have bad dubs, sure. Not everything might match 100% but you can't say things match 100% with subs if you don't know the language. You don't know how the lip movement for the Japanese language is and how it should match up.
    Sorry if I mislead you by earlier post, I meant that there are often periods of a few seconds where a character's lips are moving but no audio is playing. I see this quite often with the screener copies I get sent of shows from the 90's and 80's

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Sorry if I mislead you by earlier post, I meant that there are often periods of a few seconds where a character's lips are moving but no audio is playing. I see this quite often with the screener copies I get sent of shows from the 90's and 80's
    They could have simply been saved wrong causing the issue I stated. Push the audio back ever so slightly and you might not get that.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information