AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Age of Reboots: Exciting or Unwelcome?

Senior Member Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts 007 - Squirtle 258 - Mudkip Gabumon
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 12:40 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default The Age of Reboots: Exciting or Unwelcome?

This age has seen massive amounts of TV/Film re-imaginings of old series. I wanna' know if you guys think reboots - which provide a nostalgic trip into the past but in a new story or rehashed plot - suck, or if they are liked.
    My Wi-Fi, it's gone out . . .

Senior Member Tsundere Magus will become famous soon enough Tsundere Magus's Avatar
    Angelic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-22-2021 07:17 AM
    Threads

Default Re: The Age of Reboots: Exciting or Unwelcome?

They are trying hard, indeed. Reboots are nice to bring back plots from the past, but in my opinion it is difficult for them to surpass the old series. The Sailor Moon Crystal is more accurate to the manga, yet the old one is going to be better in some aspects, such as the OST. Digimon Adventure is trying out a new plot, and I wonder if the personalities of the characters are the same in the new one. Maybe I am turning old? And then there are others like Higurashi, which are trying to look prettier in exchange of rushing things even more than usual. Some do things fine, like Fruits Basket, that happens to be a reboot but goes further in the plot, finally aiming at finishing with the story in an anime point of view. In the end, it depends on your love for the anime itself, treat them as in two different versions in most cases, and you will be fine.

But if the reboots catch your eyes and you end up watching both, the old one and the new one, then... It is good, right?

I can only talk about anime here mostly, since it's the media I consume the most. But indeed, this applies to all kinds of movie / series / even books. If an idea worked in the past, nostalgia will be strong and it is very possible to be a success in the present again, even if the whole idea ends up not being positive, you will still catch a decent number of nostalgia fans who will be buying the product or paying for it. And that may attract new audiences as well...

3. Likes Basara1, gadgetgirl16 liked this post
    Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

It depends on if they do a good job or not. I for one have no intention of watching Walker.

Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Senior Member sirius707 can only hope to improve sirius707's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-13-2023 04:20 AM
    Threads

to me it just shows that there is a general case of lack of creativity going on. or maybe the desire to cash in on established titles. in any case I think we're doomed to do a sort of reboot always, the hero with a thousand faces they call it.

some reboots are ok, others are just terrible.
    Last edited by sirius707; 02-07-2021 at 11:43 AM.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

They've got a new Superman series starting at the end of the month
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Senior Member Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clayton_n View Post
    they've got a new superman series starting at the end of the month
    f***.

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    Threads

Bring back Captain Obvious.

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

PunkY brewster too.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to watch some Quality programming... oh look, Doctor Who is on!

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ Quality programming? Then you don't mean the Jodie Whitaker episodes.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Hey the revelations abou tthe doctor's past in the last season were awesome!

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Hey the revelations abou tthe doctor's past in the last season were awesome!
    And they totally threw out the canon. How could an incarnation of The Doctor prior to William Hartnell have a Tardis that looks like a police telephone? The chameleon circuit broke down during the first episode of the classic series. Before that, it could take any shape it wanted. Big hole in the storyline there!

Junior Member inupf is on a distinguished road inupf's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2021 11:53 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I think it depends. If they do a good job or not.

Plus, in my opinion, there's more than banking over stabilished franchises. Just like sex, nostalgy also sells... when CLAMP/Clover announced a new Sakura a couple of years ago, I was fkn pumped... Among one of the first series that I watched ( thank God the original series were broadcasted here, not that Nelvana freak).

But anyway. Yeah. I think it "sells". But "badwagoning" on that effect and trying to shove it down people's throats, even going as far as "calling" people out, like that Ghostbusters Sony fiasco, is just.... L U L z

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I hear good things about the Tom & Jerry movie

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ I always had suspicions about Droopy Dog.

Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

They should (once again) reboot ThunderCats.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Digimon_Sommelier< View Post
    They should (once again) reboot ThunderCats.

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

I don't know... I'm kind of getting burnt out of the sheer number of remakes, reboots, and rehashes... Even the ones where the production is decent, I don't really care enough to bring myself to watch them. I'd rather just watch the original and be done.
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

19. Likes mimiruchan liked this post
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Then again, sometimes a remake is better than the original. I have seen this in movies. For example, the Coen brother's remake of True Grit was better than the original. But that is because Jeff Bridges is a better actor than John Wayne.

Take John Huston's The Maltese Falcon, those of you who are classic movie buffs. It was a remake of a remake, yet it's the best detective film of all time. The original and the first remake were both crap.

In literature, many of Shakespeare's plays were remakes of earlier plays. (And many other authors copied Shakespeare. Plagiarism was not a crime in Elizabethan England.)

And yes, it is a slow day here.

Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Why did it say it came out in 2019? Also, what channel was this s*ittacular reboot on?

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Because it did and you can google it.

Look, it'll NEVER end. Ask Shakespeare or Wu Chen'en

Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Because it did and you can google it.
    I won't.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Coward!

Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Coward!
    lol clayton.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I just saw the newest "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" and it was pretty good.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Some stuff rebooted is better than the original

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information