AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Your Name (2016)

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-12-2024 01:59 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Smile Your Name (2016)

When I heard that Your Name is the highest grossing anime film in history, I thought that either it would be great or it would be overtly commercial. Needless to say, I was not disappointed.

Small town high school girl Mitsuha and big city high school boy Taki keep changing bodies. First they both chuck it off as a dream, but eventually they do catch on leaving text messages for each other so they do nothing to arouse anyone's suspicion. Fat chance. This does lead to several comic situations, not the least of which is what happens when they confront each other’s bodies. You know this had to go there.

But the story shifts when Taki learns the fate of Misuha and her doomed community. What then follows is a desperate fight against time itself by Taki to save Misuha. The pace of the film does get briefly bogged down before it gets to the second half, but consider that just the lull before the storm. This is the moment the film gets very intense.

The artwork is superb, and at times astonishing. The animation is first rate. No cheap short cuts are taken here. Director Makoto Shinkai goes all out to stir your visual senses, bringing life to the entire screen. This film is best watched on a large theater screen.

Your Name is not for small children. Pre-teens and up, OK. This would include adults. Your Name is currently in limited release in the US in both English and Japanese with subtitles. Definitely go see it.

Ace Kaitous YOU Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Hat Rayman Baboon With A Gun Bioshock Syringe
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-23-2024 09:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: kaitou ace42 PSN ID: kaitou42 Steam ID: kaitou_ace

Default Re: Your Name (2016)

I really enjoyed the movie. Also very glad I got to catch it in theaters, though I would've wanted to see it twice, but timing just didn't work out. Might try again, but my time is sadly all too limited.

As is usual of Makoto Shinkai's work, it is visually stunning, places I've seen and been to look like they might be photos, or scenes from a movie, but with more life to them, his directing style emphasizes living places, and is wonderful at illustrating the crazy hustle of the streets of Tokyo, and then just as easily the natural splendor of a country village. Also, as is per the norm for Shinkai, the movie concerns itself with star crossed lovers. He tends to focus on two people in his works, and their relationship, and both Taki and Mitsuha felt real. Their actions made sense, and you really were rooting for them to find each other. Since we're talking about spoilers here anyway, I'll say that the ending felt very satisfying. I am too used to Shinkai's works getting mired down in their own ennui, and was very glad that this one avoided the same fate.

It is very much a movie worth seeing, and a movie worth seeing more than once.

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou Ace View Post
    I really enjoyed the movie. Also very glad I got to catch it in theaters, though I would've wanted to see it twice, but timing just didn't work out. Might try again, but my time is sadly all too limited.
    Tell me about it. The previous movie I went to a theater to see was Fences. I used to go every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou Ace View Post
    Since we're talking about spoilers here anyway, I'll say that the ending felt very satisfying.
    Not only just a great ending, it ended at the precise perfect moment. Even I got misty eyed.

Moderator Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Moon Crescent Wand Wine Kangaroo
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 04:32 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Loved this movie! I am patiently waiting for the blu-ray release in Australia so I can watch it again!!!

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I just re-watched Your Name tonight. Still a great film, although the artwork and animation looked much better in the theater. It often works that way.

Feed your cat!

6. Likes Takatofan1986 liked this post
    Junior Member tylecuocbong is on a distinguished road tylecuocbong's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2019 08:36 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I have watched this movie several times and still find it interesting

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information