AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: The Lady, or the Tiger?

boopaloop! None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above's Avatar
    Gil
    Stressed
    Gifts Xmas Tree Lamborghini Grapes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-01-2011 03:21 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default The Lady, or the Tiger?

A surprisingly capturing short story of Frank Stockton, called 'The Lady, or the Tiger' is proposing a little thoughts experiment.

For the original text, click here.

The text treats mostly about human nature. It is the story of a semi-barbaric king of an ancient land located far away, who used a thrilling method to judge the accused ones. He placed them in an arena, with 2 look-a-like doors, which hid on one hand a tiger and on the other a charming lady. The accused one had to choose one of those doors, involving the chance. If he picked the one with the tiger inside, his fate would of been sealed by the claws of this mammal. If, on the other hand, he picked the door that hid the lady, the trialed one had to marry her instantly in the arena. All other bonds, such as marriage, engagement would of been tared apart. The 'lucky one' had to marry the charming lady.
    The interesting part appears once with the hidden relationship of the king's daughter with a man far below her station, and yet brave at heart. They were discovered, and the trial began.
    The princess managed with a tremendous effort to find out which door hid which danger - either death, or marriage to another woman. If he survives he would never be again with her. After sleepless nights and a lot of grumbling she still didn't know which door to indicate.
    In the last moment though, she made to her lover a sign for the right door to pick.
    At this point, the reader is requested to decide :
    'And so I leave it with all of you: Which came out of the opened door - the lady, or the tiger? '

Your reactions, thoughts? What would you do? What wouldn't you?
    Remember- it's a thoughts experiment. Every hypothesis stands.

boopaloop! Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated has a reputation beyond repute Opinionated's Avatar
    Gil
    Doubtful
    Gifts Xmas Tree Toast Present
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-06-2010 11:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Neither, the coin she flipped landed on it's side.

All my Let's Plays can be found here!
    Currently LPing: Rome Total War:
    Latest Update:
    Chapter 3: The Last King of Carthage.
    Start from the beginning:
    Chapter 1: Sicily Unified.

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Probably the tiger. Girls tend to be like that, even more so in old stories such as this.

Also, I'd open both doors at once, since they are side by side, and then run back as fast as I could. On the chance the tiger doesn't maul me instantly, the tiger would come out, see the charming woman closer than I am (having run back), and eat her instead.
    Last edited by Gjallarhorn; 10-23-2008 at 03:54 PM.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

SOS Fox McCloud Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-08-2010 03:36 PM
    Threads

RaptorJesus>SharkJesus, Xero give in the faith of RaptorJesus! I'd say tiger. Oh, and Xero you got to be quick as lightening then to open both doors at once. I'd choose the other door, and I'd have a claymore blade and slaughter the tiger with my own blade!

Senior Member Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-03-2010 01:32 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Xero XIII View Post
    Probably the tiger. Girls tend to be like that, even more so in old stories such as this.
    Yeah, I could see that.

Personally, I would give him the door with the lady. I could never handle being responsible for someone's death, let alone someone I loved dearly.
    This post has been approved by Dancing Alec™

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Oh this was a very nice short story that I actually read last year. I have been thinking what door was opened and which lay behind it, what I think happened was the guy that the women was in love with got eaten by a tiger, the women loved him, but did not want anyone else to have the guy, so she would rather meet him in the afterlife, and hopefully he would forgive her.

Thing is - if he gets married to the pretty women behind the other door, then in the afterlife, the princess would not be able to have her man, so if he dies, then she kills herself, he may be able to forgive her, because they were in love, so if he forgave her, then they would be together. You could tell from the story that the princess was jealous, thus the guy chose the door with the tiger...
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

boopaloop! None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above's Avatar
    Gil
    Stressed
    Gifts Xmas Tree Lamborghini Grapes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-01-2011 03:21 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by -Raiken- View Post
    Oh this was a very nice short story that I actually read last year. I have been thinking what door was opened and which lay behind it, what I think happened was the guy that the women was in love with got eaten by a tiger, the women loved him, but did not want anyone else to have the guy, so she would rather meet him in the afterlife, and hopefully he would forgive her.

Thing is - if he gets married to the pretty women behind the other door, then in the afterlife, the princess would not be able to have her man, so if he dies, then she kills herself, he may be able to forgive her, because they were in love, so if he forgave her, then they would be together. You could tell from the story that the princess was jealous, thus the guy chose the door with the tiger...
    Shush. I tried not to show that part of the coin. So everyone can pick for him/herself what they would choose.

I could send him to death. Although having a bad conscious about carrying the burden of someone else's death would be unbareable, in the end it would be a momentary reaction - right or good, debatable.

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

o.o my bad, I guess I misread the question, ok then I say the lady because I would want the man to stay alive and be happy, as simple as that. If he dies, then would be quite sad.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'd have them pick the door with the lady. I'm not going to kill someone I love out of jealousy.

The princess obviously doesn't care about the the guy's well being so much as she does her own privilege. The dude attracted the wrong attention yo.

May precipitate OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-18-2018 11:48 PM
    Threads

For the princess, which ever door she indicates, she still will never be together with her lover. I would have her indicate the lady though, being yandere is not cool.

Tru Fax: Princess Minako wrestled Jesus... and won

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

I heard this story in my 8th grade class. And then the people who thought it was the tiger lined up on the left side of the room, and the people who thought it was the lady lined up on the right.

I personally think it was the lady. I mean, If you REALLY love someone you would rather deal with the pain of them being alive and with someone else than with them being dead. At least when they are alive you can still see them.
    Last edited by blueangel06661; 10-24-2008 at 02:12 PM.

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Senior Member jtdlives has a reputation beyond repute jtdlives has a reputation beyond repute jtdlives has a reputation beyond repute jtdlives has a reputation beyond repute jtdlives has a reputation beyond repute jtdlives has a reputation beyond repute jtdlives has a reputation beyond repute jtdlives has a reputation beyond repute jtdlives has a reputation beyond repute jtdlives has a reputation beyond repute jtdlives has a reputation beyond repute jtdlives's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-28-2010 06:38 PM
    Threads

I would choose the tiger. It makes for a whole lot better show. The woman would just be boring. If you don't believe me ask the Romans.

Senior Member Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Present Bomb Aquarius
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2014 05:45 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Knowing my luck in that scenario, I'd get the tiger.

Anyway, she could give him the tiger, and arrange for someone to kill it from outside the arena, like with an arrow or whatnot. :/

ein, zwei, drei, vier bin endlich weg von Dir
    fünf, sechs, sieben, acht Du hast jetzt keine Macht

Closed Thread

Thread Information