AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: [NEWS] EAS - Nationwide Warning

Senior Member Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium's Avatar
    Gil
    Cloud_9
    Gifts Typewriter Dolphin Systems PS3
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-01-2014 08:48 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default [NEWS] EAS - Nationwide Warning

FEMA, FCC ANNOUNCE NATIONWIDE TEST OF THE EMERGENCY ALERT SYSTEM

Similar to local Emergency Alert System Tests, this Test is Scheduled to Take Place on November 9, 2011

WASHINGTON - The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) will conduct the first nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System (EAS). The nationwide test will occur on Wednesday, November 9 at 2 p.m. eastern standard time and may last up to three and a half minutes.

The EAS is a national alert and warning system established to enable the President of the United States to address the American public during emergencies. NOAA's National Weather Service, governors and state and local emergency authorities also use parts of the system to issue more localized emergency alerts.

Similar to local EAS tests that are already conducted frequently, the nationwide test will involve broadcast radio and television stations, cable television, satellite radio and television services and wireline video service providers across all states and the territories of Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and American Samoa.

While various components of the system are tested regularly, there has never been a nationwide, top-to-bottom, test of the system. Also, to date, the EAS has not been used to deliver a national-level or Presidential alert. It is surely interesting...

It could be due to the fact that, a 1,312-foot asteroid will soon pass within 201,000 miles of Earth, a distance closer than the Earth’s distance from the moon. Sometime during the 8-9th of November 2011. Asteroid 2005 YU 55 - Is it's name.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [NEWS] EAS - Nationwide Warning

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    It could be due to the fact that, a 1,312-foot asteroid will soon pass within 201,000 miles of Earth, a distance closer than the Earth’s distance from the moon. Sometime during the 8-9th of November 2011. Asteroid 2005 YU 55 - Is it's name.
    Huh, why? It's trajectory has been measured with a very high level of certainty, it will not hit the planet.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

They should have named it Doom4 or something DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Gifts Binoculars Kawaiislice Medkit
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2023 04:46 AM
    Threads

I'm not participating. So sue me!

It's never safe to turn off your computer - Silent Strike

Senior Member Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium's Avatar
    Gil
    Cloud_9
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Huh, why? It's trajectory has been measured with a very high level of certainty, it will not hit the planet.
    It's just an assumption, I really don't know why they are doing a Nationwide EAS warning. It has never been done before. Some people say it's due to, YU55.

I just thought this was interesting news is all.

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

Are they issuing a nationwide warning for a test? Won't that cause people to panic?

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

Quote Originally Posted by blueangel06661 View Post
    Are they issuing a nationwide warning for a test? Won't that cause people to panic?
    No, This is why they tell people ahead of time that it's a test. The Panic will insue after the real deal happens whilst stating -This is NOT a test.- Second, yes the asteroid won't hit Earth; but in light of the asteroid, it's come to their attention that the system probably should be tested. We have a system if we don't even know it works. Plus it should be done for all the same reasons as the local tests.
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

Roarrrrrrrrrrr!
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Be Mine 143 - Snorlax Cookie
    Mentioned
    754 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-29-2016 11:05 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Sounds like fun! Whatever to distract me at work~
    I'll be waiting in anticipation.

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

It's just an assumption, I really don't know why they are doing a Nationwide EAS warning. It has never been done before. Some people say it's due to, YU55.

This isn't news, actually (not new news, anyway).

FEMA and the FCC announced the test MONTHS ago (back in June) and it has nothing to do with the asteroid. It is of no threat to us and to issue a test of a warning system based on an asteroid that is not going to affect us in anyway (except for some pretty cool pictures) would be a little silly.

Plus, the asteroid would have passed both the Earth and the Moon by the time they started the test.
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Wait what? You say why yourself in your post! What part of nationwide test is so hard to comprehend?! They're testing the goddamn system! If there was an actual emergency, they would just use the system to inform people, not announce that they're going to test it months earlier and then under the guise of the test reveal an actual emergency.
    Last edited by Eris; 11-05-2011 at 02:07 PM.

&#32
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Gifts V Guitar Coffee Red Kawaii Ice Cream Cone
    Mentioned
    1093 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2018 11:21 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: FunkyFresh123 Steam ID: RyuTama

I remember hearing about this a while ago. It's interesting, but I don't listen to the radio and I don't watch TV, so I doubt I'll get it. I just hope the people in my apartment complex don't make a riot out of it. e_e

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade/13.666 View Post
    No, This is why they tell people ahead of time that it's a test.
    If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have known... -shrugs- Sure I'm not the only

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Dango News

Senior Member marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Witch Hat Gir Aries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-04-2012 08:45 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have known... -shrugs- Sure I'm not the only
    Same.

Also, an asteroid supposedly passed pretty close to earth back in 1989. Most people didn't find out about it until a dew days later.

"Asclepius passed by Earth on March 22, 1989, at a distance of 680,000 km (0.68 Gm). Although this exceeds the Moon's orbital radius, the close pass received attention at that time, especially since the asteroid passed through the exact position of Earth only six hours earlier. "On the cosmic scale of things, that was a close call," said Dr. Henry Holt. Geophysicists estimate that collision with Asclepius would release energy comparable to the explosion of a 600 megaton atomic bomb.

Subsequent discoveries revealed that a whole class of such objects exists, and that an object the size of the one that just missed Earth in March 1989, probably comes by undetected once every two or three years. Asclepius will continue to approach Earth within 30 Gm a dozen times each century. The next pass to come within 1 Gm will not take place until 2189."

---Wikipedia[
    The Gm is some sort of distance measure, I believe...
    Last edited by marvel_phoenix; 11-05-2011 at 04:29 PM.
    My Bubblegum Crisis fan-site --> The Bubblegum Crisis Sanctum (a work in progress)

and my humble blog --> The Writing Desk

--> My AF album

Pet Shop Story and Dragon Story ids: webowers, wbowers

&#32
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Gifts V Guitar Coffee Red Kawaii Ice Cream Cone
    Mentioned
    1093 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2018 11:21 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: FunkyFresh123 Steam ID: RyuTama

Is it supposed to be visible? And for how long? What time? *prepares telescope and camera* o.o

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

True, true, but they informed people in the news, people in the news informed people on here, and people on here make a thread to inform others like you. So on and so forth until everyone knows. Then when the warning test does go off, everyone should know, and those that don't will be told during the course of the test. It'll happen just like with the local warning tests. Only on a boarder scale. Never see someone freak out into a massive panick with the local tests, just raging because it cut off they're fav. show, song, sports game, etc.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RyuTama View Post
    Is it supposed to be visible? And for how long? What time? *prepares telescope and camera* o.o
    Not to the naked eye, but with some kit it should be possible to observe it:

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    On 8 November 2011 at 23:28 UT, the asteroid will safely pass within 0.85 lunar distances of the Earth. A lunar distance of 0.85 is also 0.00217 AU (325,000 km; 202,000 mi). On 9 November 2011 at 07:13 UT, the asteroid will pass 0.00160 AU (239,000 km; 149,000 mi) from the moon. During the close approach, the asteroid should reach about apparent magnitude 11, and may be visible to expert observers using high-end binoculars with an objective lens of 80mm or larger. Since the gibbous moon will interfere with the viewing, amateur observers trying to visually locate the asteroid will require a telescope with an aperture of 6 inches (15 centimeters) or larger

Gil
    Angelic
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade/13.666 View Post
    True, true, but they informed people in the news, people in the news informed people on here, and people on here make a thread to inform others like you. So on and so forth until everyone knows. Then when the warning test does go off, everyone should know, and those that don't will be told during the course of the test. It'll happen just like with the local warning tests. Only on a boarder scale. Never see someone freak out into a massive panick with the local tests, just raging because it cut off they're fav. show, song, sports game, etc.
    Never witnessed any local test either... And quite honestly even with all of that people still will not know and possibly react if it were on that grand of scale. Remember the small panic to listeners listening to a broadcast of War of the Worlds on the radio a long time ago. Some people really believed it to be true.

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Dango News

Senior Member marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Witch Hat Gir Aries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-04-2012 08:45 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Never witnessed any local test either... And quite honestly even with all of that people still will not know and possibly react if it were on that grand of scale. Remember the small panic to listeners listening to a broadcast of War of the Worlds on the radio a long time ago. Some people really believed it to be true.
    Yes, but they only warned them at the beginning. People tuning in late missed that warning and they didn't re-issue it during the broadcast.
    My Bubblegum Crisis fan-site --> The Bubblegum Crisis Sanctum (a work in progress)

and my humble blog --> The Writing Desk

--> My AF album

Pet Shop Story and Dragon Story ids: webowers, wbowers

Gil
    Angelic
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by marvel_phoenix View Post
    Yes, but they only warned them at the beginning. People tuning in late missed that warning and they didn't re-issue it during the broadcast.
    So what happens if I tune in some some emergency alert in the middle?

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Dango News

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

So what happens if I tune in some some emergency alert in the middle?
    Well, actually they tell you what the warning is at the beginning and end. Test or not. Plus most of the local channels I know of will dispaly any and all weather advisories and warnings on the bottom of the screen, after the warning has been issued.

Gil
    Cloud_9
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgirl90 View Post
    This isn't news, actually (not new news, anyway).

FEMA and the FCC announced the test MONTHS ago (back in June) and it has nothing to do with the asteroid. It is of no threat to us and to issue a test of a warning system based on an asteroid that is not going to affect us in anyway (except for some pretty cool pictures) would be a little silly.
    Ha, oddly enough this is my first time hearing it. Granted, I don't watch much TV or listen to radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Wait what? You say why yourself in your post! What part of nationwide test is so hard to comprehend?! They're testing the goddamn system! If there was an actual emergency, they would just use the system to inform people, not announce that they're going to test it months earlier and then under the guise of the test reveal an actual emergency.
    It's not that hard to comprehend. It's the fact, that this has never been done before on a, Nation Wide Level. There's never been a national activation of EAS, even on 9/11. It'll be the first time you hear "This is the President speaking", on an EAS test. I just find it interesting is all.
    Again this is all news for me, for the past several months I've been in and out of training schools and boot camp.
    Last edited by Equilibrium; 11-06-2011 at 05:24 AM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information