AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you prefer your anime subbed or dubbed?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Subbed

81 74.31%
  • Dubbed

28 25.69%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: DISCUSSION - Subbed or Dubbed anime?

Senior Member ACBlackJ0ck has a reputation beyond repute ACBlackJ0ck has a reputation beyond repute ACBlackJ0ck has a reputation beyond repute ACBlackJ0ck has a reputation beyond repute ACBlackJ0ck has a reputation beyond repute ACBlackJ0ck has a reputation beyond repute ACBlackJ0ck has a reputation beyond repute ACBlackJ0ck has a reputation beyond repute ACBlackJ0ck has a reputation beyond repute ACBlackJ0ck has a reputation beyond repute ACBlackJ0ck has a reputation beyond repute ACBlackJ0ck's Avatar
    Gil
    Goofy
    Gifts Hat Pocket Watch Blackjack
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-27-2015 11:24 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: redsupersonicninja

Default Re: DISCUSSION - Subbed or Dubbed anime?

I've always prefered subs. Heck whenever I watch a foreign TV Show or film I always watch it subbed. Not just anime.

Member Seifuku-kun has a brilliant future Seifuku-kun has a brilliant future Seifuku-kun has a brilliant future Seifuku-kun has a brilliant future Seifuku-kun has a brilliant future Seifuku-kun has a brilliant future Seifuku-kun has a brilliant future Seifuku-kun has a brilliant future Seifuku-kun has a brilliant future Seifuku-kun has a brilliant future Seifuku-kun has a brilliant future Seifuku-kun's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Gifts Cheese Gun
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-20-2011 08:47 AM
    Threads

Never ever dubbed! The art of voice acting is so much further ahead in Japan than elsewhere, besides the language is awesome!

Without the darkness....how would we recognize the light?

Senior Member Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Orange Dango Bioshock Eve Soul Eater Logo
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-06-2012 05:34 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I prefer to watch it in the language it was made for, this includes movies as well.
    Though I wouldn't mind dubs in parts where the characters are required to speak another language. The engrish parts in Chrome Shelled Regios killed me. As much as Japanese voice actors are better (in my opinion) to the English voice actors, that only applies when they speak Japanese.
    Senjougahara Fascination

Senior Member Loxaerion has a reputation beyond repute Loxaerion has a reputation beyond repute Loxaerion has a reputation beyond repute Loxaerion has a reputation beyond repute Loxaerion has a reputation beyond repute Loxaerion has a reputation beyond repute Loxaerion has a reputation beyond repute Loxaerion has a reputation beyond repute Loxaerion has a reputation beyond repute Loxaerion has a reputation beyond repute Loxaerion has a reputation beyond repute Loxaerion's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2012 07:01 AM
    Threads

subbed! i just love japanese voice no matter how silly they sound and also the japanese voice actors. and to think that some of the male characters have female voice actors makes me love them even more

Member Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori has much to be proud of Kazetori's Avatar
    Gil
    Approved
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-05-2013 03:09 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Kazetori- Steam ID: Kazetori

I prefer subbed only because I'm a language nerd and feel like I'm studying Japanese for my class while watching subs. Also it doesn't feel as wierd if you're in a room with non-anime fans and a character says something embarrassing in Japanese and no one knows wtf they just said. I also prefer the Japanese seiyuu's, unless I'm watching Inuyasha, or FMA... or FLCL... or Cowboy Bebop.... okay so I can deal with dubs I'm just a language nerd. *caught*

edit: I also appreciate the Japanese culture and language jokes. If I don't get it right away I'll research it then watch the scene again. I had to re-watch a lot of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.....
    Last edited by Kazetori; 11-01-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Member johnbryantwong is a jewel in the rough johnbryantwong is a jewel in the rough johnbryantwong is a jewel in the rough johnbryantwong's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-19-2011 06:22 AM
    Threads

Japanese CVs are very professional and I believe that only they can represent the characters to the most extend.

Senior Member S o l o has a reputation beyond repute S o l o has a reputation beyond repute S o l o has a reputation beyond repute S o l o has a reputation beyond repute S o l o has a reputation beyond repute S o l o has a reputation beyond repute S o l o has a reputation beyond repute S o l o has a reputation beyond repute S o l o has a reputation beyond repute S o l o has a reputation beyond repute S o l o has a reputation beyond repute S o l o's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts 001 - Bulbasaur 004 - Charmander 007 - Squirtle
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-16-2022 02:19 PM
    Threads

I prefer my anime subbed.
    I ♥ yuri

Member CaptainFloyd is infamous around these parts CaptainFloyd is infamous around these parts CaptainFloyd is infamous around these parts CaptainFloyd is infamous around these parts CaptainFloyd is infamous around these parts CaptainFloyd is infamous around these parts CaptainFloyd is infamous around these parts CaptainFloyd is infamous around these parts CaptainFloyd is infamous around these parts CaptainFloyd's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Mario ZStar Eva Penpen Gurren Dai Gurren Dan
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-09-2012 10:54 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Dirty44Callahan Steam ID: ToradoraWins

There are certain examples of dubs that really do seem to be even, or much better than the subbed versions (examples include FLCL, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Slayers). But at times i do feel that english actors aren't able to do certain themes of anime. One being Moe. I'm not saying that I am a huge fan of Moe, but that I believe that when english actors try to read the same lines, they don't seem to really achieve the whole "cute" factor that the Japanese actors were able to portray. I remember watching Clannad and thinking "Wow, the actors totally understood the roles they were given and did everything right". Then I watched the english dub, And although the male actors did a good job, the females I thought just didn't know how connect with their characters as well as the Japanese actors did. Also, with comedy animes I understand the humor is a lot of the time supposed to be over the top, but the english actors a fair amount of the time come off either really dry or to much over the top to the point that they ruin the joke. I think both dubbed and subbed are fine either way, it just comes down to what your opinion is. Would you rather watch the sub so that you get the feel of the originality of the series, or would you rather watch the dub so that you can watch everything that is going on in the show and not miss any of it because you had to read the subtitles the whole way through.
    Last edited by CaptainFloyd; 11-14-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Senior Member .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2020 04:24 PM
    Threads

Short answer: I prefer my anime subbed.

Long answer: in an ideal world, all anime outside Japan would be dubbed perfectly; soundtracks would never be "westernised"; and because they'd be no need for subs (well, other than for the hard of hearing), one would never miss a crucial piece of action (as can be one potential drawback with subbed anime). If such a world existed, I'd be only too happy to watch all my anime dubbed. Sadly however, this is the real world in which many anime exports (and usually the most commercial) are dubbed poorly, resulting in badly interpreted and/or (sometimes) unconvincingly portrayed characters, especially in terms of timing and emotional conviction. Consequently and therefore, one cannot always rely on dubbed anime to be faithful to their original versions, and for such reasons I tend to go for subbed anime.

Ultimately, the best solution would be for me to learn Japanese - then I can have my cake and eat it! >=3

10. Likes Kagome liked this post
    Member CaptainFloyd is infamous around these parts CaptainFloyd is infamous around these parts CaptainFloyd is infamous around these parts CaptainFloyd is infamous around these parts CaptainFloyd is infamous around these parts CaptainFloyd is infamous around these parts CaptainFloyd is infamous around these parts CaptainFloyd is infamous around these parts CaptainFloyd is infamous around these parts CaptainFloyd's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Mario ZStar Eva Penpen Gurren Dai Gurren Dan
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-09-2012 10:54 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Dirty44Callahan Steam ID: ToradoraWins

Quote Originally Posted by Neukifly View Post
    Ultimately, the best solution would be for me to learn Japanese - then I can have my cake and eat it! >=3
    True,true lol. I do feel as well that in a perfect world dubs would be the way for me to go. But I have come to the understanding that no we do not live in such a world. Though I do need to give credit to one series that i forgot to mention, Spice and Wolf. The sub for this show is great, but the dub made the show in my opinion even better. John Michael Tatum (voices Lawerence) and Brina Michelle Palencia (voices Holo) are now a couple of my favorite english voice actors now because of how much their voices fit the roles they were in

Member Joker34z has a reputation beyond repute Joker34z has a reputation beyond repute Joker34z has a reputation beyond repute Joker34z has a reputation beyond repute Joker34z has a reputation beyond repute Joker34z has a reputation beyond repute Joker34z has a reputation beyond repute Joker34z has a reputation beyond repute Joker34z has a reputation beyond repute Joker34z has a reputation beyond repute Joker34z has a reputation beyond repute Joker34z's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-22-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Subbed is perfectly fine I prefer subbed but some animes like Cowboy Bebop and Trigun the Dub is exceptionally well done and it gives the viewer much more intensity and feeling to the series in general

Member katlover is on a distinguished road katlover's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-25-2012 03:10 PM
    a world full of cats and yaoi and wow >.<
    Threads

subbed because those are the real voices and sotimes the english voices are really stupid and irritat me

Moderator ~*Red*~ has a reputation beyond repute ~*Red*~ has a reputation beyond repute ~*Red*~ has a reputation beyond repute ~*Red*~ has a reputation beyond repute ~*Red*~ has a reputation beyond repute ~*Red*~ has a reputation beyond repute ~*Red*~ has a reputation beyond repute ~*Red*~ has a reputation beyond repute ~*Red*~ has a reputation beyond repute ~*Red*~ has a reputation beyond repute ~*Red*~ has a reputation beyond repute ~*Red*~'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-17-2017 07:39 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: the_wolfie

I love listening to subbed anime, since I can get a grasp on the language and slowly learn it.
    Wolfie Dango ~*Red*~

Twin sister: Angella_Kagamine

Building Castles Red&Stiletto has a reputation beyond repute Red&Stiletto has a reputation beyond repute Red&Stiletto has a reputation beyond repute Red&Stiletto has a reputation beyond repute Red&Stiletto has a reputation beyond repute Red&Stiletto has a reputation beyond repute Red&Stiletto has a reputation beyond repute Red&Stiletto has a reputation beyond repute Red&Stiletto has a reputation beyond repute Red&Stiletto has a reputation beyond repute Red&Stiletto has a reputation beyond repute Red&Stiletto's Avatar
    Gil
    Bahahaha
    Gifts Ambulance
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-22-2013 01:06 AM
    Threads

Unlike what I hear from most people, I just like dubbed more because of the fact that I can't read fast enough to both understand what's going on and enjoy the show. I actually really like japanese voices, I just can't keep up with it. :/
    samba bamba, llama momma.

need a new set, feel free to offer. :3

Senior Member Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Systems Xbox 360 American Flag Ribbon AK47
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2016 03:29 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Light Buster PSN ID: Lightbuster88

Quote Originally Posted by Gjallarhorn View Post
    Depends on the series. Some series sound better in Japanese (Gurren Lagann, Darker Than Black, One Piece, Naruto, etc.), some sound better in English (FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell:SAC, Full Metal Alchemist, Casshern SINS, etc.), while some are pretty much equal (Bleach, Kekkaishi, Yu Yu Hakusho, etc.)
    As @Gjallarhorn said. It's just a matter of personal preference.
    WARNING: This user is wanted for unauthorized access into Ultratech archives. If you see this user in person, please contact Ultratech immediately.

Thrust through the heavens with your spirit!! Volta has a reputation beyond repute Volta has a reputation beyond repute Volta has a reputation beyond repute Volta has a reputation beyond repute Volta has a reputation beyond repute Volta has a reputation beyond repute Volta has a reputation beyond repute Volta has a reputation beyond repute Volta has a reputation beyond repute Volta has a reputation beyond repute Volta has a reputation beyond repute Volta's Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Gifts Flamingo Cake Lie
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-01-2012 04:48 AM
    Threads

My preference is dubbed, but its a slight preference. I really appreciate both.

Member TheWired is on a distinguished road TheWired's Avatar
    Gil
    Hacker
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2015 07:04 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I don't care how well lips match or what the caliber of the actors are that are chosen for dub, it is an insult to the original creation and inaccurate to the original intent & feeling of the dialog. In Japan voice actors are held on a higher plane than on screen performers and so the emotional intent & delivery is calculated and professional. When doing an English dub they change the dialog to simplify content for Americans who won't "understand," strip it of any cultural nuances or meaning and finally alter words just to fit lip movement. What you are left with is like 60% accuracy from the original content.

Also it seems that for some reason American or other English-speaking audiences need to have every silent moment FILLED, as if minimal pauses are an ERROR. One of the most disappointing examples for me was when they added a voice to the cat in Miyazaki's Kiki's Delivery Service to add a whole new element of comic relief.

Ughhh... *gets off pedestal*.... sorry but I'm obviously a fan of subs, if that wasn't clear :P

19. Thanks Kagome thanked for this post
    Likes Kagome liked this post
    Demon Slayer Yurika has a reputation beyond repute Yurika has a reputation beyond repute Yurika has a reputation beyond repute Yurika has a reputation beyond repute Yurika has a reputation beyond repute Yurika has a reputation beyond repute Yurika has a reputation beyond repute Yurika has a reputation beyond repute Yurika has a reputation beyond repute Yurika has a reputation beyond repute Yurika has a reputation beyond repute Yurika's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Gifts Katana Kunai Book
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2020 07:57 PM
    Threads

It really depends on the anime. Most of the time I watch with subtitles, sometimes I like the dubs. There a couple shows I'm used to watching (and liking) one way.
    Last edited by Yurika; 01-02-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Gil
    Hacker
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

What I DON'T understand, however, is why poorly translated subs exist... even if it's a bootleg from Taiwan or maybe some 3rd party translating that doesn't normally speak English, how hard is it to have just ONE English-speaking person REVIEW their translation?

I'm currently watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex series that I got from Ebay a long time ago (4-DVD set for the complete series) and there's a scene where WRITTEN on a wall in plain English it reads:

I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes or should I?

The translation subtitles (which surprisingly didn't bother just copying what was on the screen) reads:

I thought I'd just become a deaf, blind and mute person.

Talk about a completely different meaning! o.o

Little Green Miko Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome's Avatar
    Gil
    Blah
    Gifts Kawaiislice Aria Neko Pluto Garnet Orb
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-23-2023 10:19 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Kagxme4988 PSN ID: KagomeMiko

Quote Originally Posted by TheWired View Post
    What I DON'T understand, however, is why poorly translated subs exist... even if it's a bootleg from Taiwan or maybe some 3rd party translating that doesn't normally speak English, how hard is it to have just ONE English-speaking person REVIEW their translation?

I'm currently watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex series that I got from Ebay a long time ago (4-DVD set for the complete series) and there's a scene where WRITTEN on a wall in plain English it reads:

I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes or should I?

The translation subtitles (which surprisingly didn't bother just copying what was on the screen) reads:

I thought I'd just become a deaf, blind and mute person.

Talk about a completely different meaning! o.o
    ::Grins:: Contrary to that...I *LOVE* the bootleg translations. Not only are they often humorous, wierd and sometimes incorrect, but they also can show you how the Japanese sentance would be hooked together if you did a straight word-for-word translation.

Bootlegs is part of what got me interested in learning Japanese. It wasn't just to understand the language while watching anime-but to get a closer look into how they put thier words together-what they use-their grammar system. It's interesting! =)
    How'd You Like That On Your Lawn?!
    "I may be empty, but I'm not worthless!"

...Clear...

Gil
    Hacker
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

That's a fascinating angle Higurashi Kagome - I certainly never looked at it that way, even though I have found myself laughing at it occasionally... there was actually a chase scene I saw recently in the GITS series and the guy is supposed to yell out something like "what on Earth is happening here?" and the text ends up reading "what happened to the Earth?" lol.

Either way I guess I can't complain considering I sometimes pay 1/3rd or 1/4th the price for an entire series. I think the worst I've EVER dealt with was a copy of Cowboy Bebop I had once. The text was so messed up & confusing I just ordered the Bandai set instead lol.

Junior Member Amorok is on a distinguished road Amorok's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-29-2012 12:41 AM
    Threads

Ehhh. I can go for either one -- it depends on the production company. The higher profile, the better quality the dubs tend to be, so I don't mind. Inuyasha, for example, has some pretty good dubbing, so I'll watch the one in English. But Slayers, I HAVE to watch in Japanese, just because I can't STAND the voice actor they chose to play Xelloss x.x

Fearless Red Mage SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13's Avatar
    Gil
    Talkative
    Gifts Ice Ornament Ouran Patch
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-25-2013 07:13 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I go for DUB cause I'm not very fond of reading each subtitle. I always wanted to hear things ALTHOUGH some dubbed anime sucks (Maid Sama! particularly, Lucky Star)
    The only anime I really adored the dub is Ouran High School Host Club :3

If I know how to understand Japanese. I could settle with subbed. But for now, dubbed.

Junior Member renfort is on a distinguished road renfort's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-26-2012 06:57 PM
    Threads

It varies from show to show. Sometimes I'll watch dubs and never watch subs, sometimes one version then another on a rewatch. I tend to go more towards dubs because I don't like reading the bottom.

Senior Member kyoshiro20 has a reputation beyond repute kyoshiro20 has a reputation beyond repute kyoshiro20 has a reputation beyond repute kyoshiro20 has a reputation beyond repute kyoshiro20 has a reputation beyond repute kyoshiro20 has a reputation beyond repute kyoshiro20 has a reputation beyond repute kyoshiro20 has a reputation beyond repute kyoshiro20 has a reputation beyond repute kyoshiro20 has a reputation beyond repute kyoshiro20 has a reputation beyond repute kyoshiro20's Avatar
    Gil
    Bahahaha
    Gifts Gurren Boota
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-05-2019 07:40 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Subbed ftw!!!!

Why? Well, I kind of want to learn Japanese, plus the voices in Japanese, with very few exceptions, sound better than their english counterparts, at least thats what I think.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information