AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Dubbing is bad!

Angel of peace Faroelove is a splendid one to behold Faroelove is a splendid one to behold Faroelove is a splendid one to behold Faroelove is a splendid one to behold Faroelove is a splendid one to behold Faroelove is a splendid one to behold Faroelove is a splendid one to behold Faroelove is a splendid one to behold Faroelove's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-23-2009 02:45 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    I live in Japan. Well, I wish I did anyways.
    Threads

Default Dubbing is bad!

I hate dubbing. It can lead to wrong ideas about anime. take Yu-Gi-Oh for instance. It has been taken from it's original state and made into a disaster.
    • Cardcapter Sakura
    • digimon
    • pokemon
    • DBZ
    • Yu Yu Hakusho
    and many more have been taken and changed just for the English appearance. It isn't right to change names, activities, and words to make it in another language.

Does anyone agree?

[note] I did not mean to post this to make anyone feel bad. If I did please don't be angry at me.[/note]

2. Dislikes jlaking disliked this post
    100% Original ~Mikaru~ is on a distinguished road ~Mikaru~'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-12-2008 05:24 PM
    Threads

I agree, they most of the tome seem to stray from what they really do say in the non-dubbed version. I hope naruto doesnt have the same fate...

4. Dislikes jlaking disliked this post
    Angel of peace Faroelove is a splendid one to behold Faroelove is a splendid one to behold Faroelove is a splendid one to behold Faroelove is a splendid one to behold Faroelove is a splendid one to behold Faroelove is a splendid one to behold Faroelove is a splendid one to behold Faroelove is a splendid one to behold Faroelove's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I heard that Naruto is going to be dubbed. Lets just hope they don't change any names!
    Last edited by Faroelove; 03-22-2005 at 10:45 AM.

Senior Member Italian_Thug is a splendid one to behold Italian_Thug is a splendid one to behold Italian_Thug is a splendid one to behold Italian_Thug is a splendid one to behold Italian_Thug is a splendid one to behold Italian_Thug is a splendid one to behold Italian_Thug is a splendid one to behold Italian_Thug is a splendid one to behold Italian_Thug's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-19-2006 03:47 PM
    Threads

Well, dubbing is a necessary evil sometimes to extend a fan base. I believe that they should work hard enough to try not to change the meanings or words actually in them, but until they can get it right completely, nothing will get better. Actually, could someone fill me in on how it can be completely changed?
    I AM THE WAY INTO THE CITY OF WOE.
    I AM THE WAY TO A FORESAKEN PEOPLE.
    I AM THE WAY INTO ETERNAL SORROW.

SACRED JUSTICE MOVED MY ARCHITECT.
    I WAS RAISED HERE BY DEVINE OMNIPOTENCE,
    PRIMORDIAL LOVE AND ULTIMATE INTELLECT.

ONLY THOSE ELEMENTS TIME CANNOT WEAR
    WERE MADE BEFORE ME, AND BEYOND TIME I STAND.
    ABANDON HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I guess you are right. Some dubbing companies don't change words and names around. GAINAX and Ocean Studios is an example. GAINAX did FLCL and Ocean Studios did Inuyasha.

Digital Plague Glitch4.0 has a spectacular aura about Glitch4.0 has a spectacular aura about Glitch4.0 has a spectacular aura about Glitch4.0's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2007 01:41 PM
    Arizona...where nothing grows and the state tree is a telephone pole
    Threads

well i gotta admit originality is best, but you gotta understand why they dubb, they do it so americain kids can better understand things, i know they hit yu-gi-oh hard, half the cards in the game have different names, and in slayers nearly all the moves have been named differently. i mean ive watched tons of animes in japanese with english sub titles, and yes i got to admit they are better in most cases, at least when translation inst bad X3
    quote the great mithos: "Revert to nothing-ness"

The Death of You Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-28-2009 10:16 AM
    Threads

The shows you listed were edited because they were to be directed at children in America. Being such, there were certain things that could not be included...such as cursing, Yukito and Toya's relationship in CCS, blood shed, etc. It isn't because they are idiots and don't know how to translate things, or because they just want to be mean and cut things. They HAVE to do it. If they do not, then there would be a great many parents complaining. As for names... The reason for that is most likely so that the non-Japanese audience can pronounce them better. Little kids don't know Japanese...

Now, there are cases when the dubbed character will say something that isn't -quite- what the character said in the original Japanese version. A good reason for that is that the translators are attempting to relate the phrase to something the western audiences will understand. Sometimes there isn't a literal translation for a word or term, only general translations...

If you don't like the dub, then just don't watch it. It's that easy. Most DVDs (if not ALL) come with both dub and sub, so just watch the sub... And if you REALLY don't want to feel like you're missing anything, take classes and learn Japanese.

--
    Goes by: Death, Tod, or Shi

Senior Member Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-12-2019 08:58 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Ashminigun

*joins the fray...

dubbed anime... BADDD!!! it just make the anime sound weird esp. if you dubbed into other language other that English. I watched Gundam SEED in Malay version, they changed Athrun into a Malay name, Asran (that what I heard) LOL. It's sound ok when in battle scene but outside of it, it sound a bit of out off tune. Just make me wanna to buy the boxset. 'nough said.

*turn into a VHDL zombie again... save your codes!

11. Dislikes jlaking disliked this post
    Digital Plague Glitch4.0 has a spectacular aura about Glitch4.0 has a spectacular aura about Glitch4.0 has a spectacular aura about Glitch4.0's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

its not just animes that get it either, video games are also affected, such as Final Fantasy X-2, nearly all the FMV were formated in certain ways, and the names for the dress spheres were changed, personally i have problem with this, most translations are pretty rough so sometimes they need to change the name of whatever is being translated, also they censor certain things as well, like in yu-gi-oh there was a card with a slightly offensive name so they changed it in the americain version

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I am learning Japanese......

It's not the dub thats the problem. It's the dubbing companies. once they get there.... they cut all the parts and everything. I don't care if it is in English. They can at least amke it original.
    YuGiOh could be more of like its original. Give their names back and the original games they played back. They didn't just play with duel monster cards. It was more interesting that way.

But I know I can't change it. It's just I need to get the steam out. I hope I wasn't annoying. I didn't mean to be mean at all.

14. Dislikes jlaking disliked this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

well lil sis its a big company, its gonna be like that. there are copy rights, FCC rules to follow, media brought through to america is placed under a fine tooth comb to make sure there are no mixed messages you know. so relaxe lil sis ^-^

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

*bows* I'm sorry. I'll stop.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Thank you for letting me rant about this.^-^
    ~I'll try to be nice, so please give me a chance~

Do you want to be my friend?

~Faroe~
    Lets be friends
    my friends:

Flame Demon
    Tao_Bason05
    heavenspheonix
    Glitch4.0
    JustAgirl
    Mink
    Sephiroth33
    Macus2
    -Naota-
    Varly
    Sevavii
    Nessa1

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

careful lil sis double posting may be against the rules okay. but its okay to voice your opinion, some people are bound to dis agree

Myself Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex has a reputation beyond repute Regex's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2008 12:30 PM
    Threads

Dubbing isn't bad at all. In fact, many anime have actually come out very good when dubbed. Trigun, for example, turned out extremely well. Quite often, the reason the Japanese versions sound better is because you don't really hear how outrageous the voice acting gets... Because you are busy reading, or trying to understand what they're saying. I know that this isn't always the case, mind you. Some dubs are just very poorly done. But to say that all dubs are bad is an incredibly rash statement to make.

Animepedia.com -- Part of the Anime Globe network.
    Come share your wealth of anime knowledge with the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Jack of Blades~ View Post
    Because evaporation is a ninja ...so you can't see it =o
    You know it's true.

You leave a glass of water, turn your back and WH-WH-WH-WH-WHAM! You've got 5 shurikens in your back.

KakaIru luver anbu-kakashi will become famous soon enough anbu-kakashi will become famous soon enough anbu-kakashi's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-02-2006 12:54 AM
    Threads

I wouldn't worry about Naruto.ShoPro shouldn't change the names anyway.I do not like dubbing though.Especially *cough*Funimation*cough*
    "Your eyes show no life. As though your soul is dead and your body is still roaming the Earth."
    "That may be. But care I do not."
    ~~~~~
    -Sisters! Inuyasha-Sakura, Taikyo, Ladyanime,Kakei-Hatake Koga, cowboydemon666, MSCBrock,and Wolf Demon Rin
    -Bros! WhiteReaper and DarkTwilight
    -Want to join?

21. Dislikes jlaking disliked this post
    The Death of You Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch has a reputation beyond repute Die Tod von Euch's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-28-2009 10:16 AM
    Threads

Thank you, Member Name. ^_^

And, actually... I think there are some anime that make more sense dubbed than subbed. Like the aformentioned Trigun (especially since he even says in one scene against the samurai Gung-Ho Gun that he can't read Japanese...and everything is written in English anyway). Cowboy Bebop is another example, where everything once again is written in English... Why would Jet be typing in English in his journal, but be narrating it in Japanese?

And, of course, Hellsing....which takes place in ENGLAND. I'm sorry, but I'd rather watch them speaking English in England...with accents...and being able to PRONOUNCE THEIR OWN BLOODY NAMES. Before, when I still worked at the anime store, I was playing Hellsing dubbed, but someone requested I put on the subtitles, too...just to see what the difference was in the translation. They then went on to insult it and pick at it, because what they were saying in the dub didn't always match up with the subtitles. But, if they had just shut up and listened to what was being said in the dub, they'd understand. They added British slang and made the speach just be pretty much...more British. It was GREAT what they did. Because it fit the location better.

You guys seem to think that it has something to do with what company makes it as to whether or not it gets sent to the butcher's block in the dubbing process. It doesn't. Funimation, the company that releases all the Dragon Ball series, also released Fruits Basket. And they kept VERY close to it. It's a really nice dub, actually, I think. Although Momiji's voice annoys me in bot the sub and the dub, but that's beside the point... Also, Pioneer, which usually does a FANTASTIC job of dubbing, took over Sailor Moon...and continued to hack away at it. The point is that it DOESN'T MATTER what company it is. The ONLY reason for the editing has already been mentioned... They have to fix certain shows to make them presentable for their target audience of little kids when they are going to be airing them on national television.... It doesn't matter how much better YOU think the original is, the fact of the matter remains that the companies are trying to market the shows to children... And in doing so, they can't include some of the more adult themes... Do we understand?

--
    Goes by: Death, Tod, or Shi

KakaIru luver anbu-kakashi will become famous soon enough anbu-kakashi will become famous soon enough anbu-kakashi's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-02-2006 12:54 AM
    Threads

Okay..your right.They did do a good job on DBZ,But the problem I have with them is that their target is little kids.I dont think such anime with adult things should be for them.Pokemon is for sure a kid show.Buuuutt,little kids getting into anime at such a yound age is sorta cute.Eh,I cant be mad at Funi for long.Come here Funi! *hugs Funi people while pretending to stab their backs*
    "Your eyes show no life. As though your soul is dead and your body is still roaming the Earth."
    "That may be. But care I do not."
    ~~~~~
    -Sisters! Inuyasha-Sakura, Taikyo, Ladyanime,Kakei-Hatake Koga, cowboydemon666, MSCBrock,and Wolf Demon Rin
    -Bros! WhiteReaper and DarkTwilight
    -Want to join?

24. Dislikes jlaking disliked this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Some voices can just really annoy you though.
    ~I'll try to be nice, so please give me a chance~

Do you want to be my friend?

~Faroe~
    Lets be friends
    my friends:

Flame Demon
    Tao_Bason05
    heavenspheonix
    Glitch4.0
    JustAgirl
    Mink
    Sephiroth33