AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Attempted translation at "Power of Dream" by lol

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Gifts Kill Bill Katana Compass
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-25-2019 07:34 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Attempted translation at "Power of the Dream" by lol [Fairy Tail Season 9 OP]

With a new season of Fairy tail out I thought I would see if there was a translation for the song. I did find a transliteration at lyrical nonsense but didn't find any translations with a quick google check. So I thought I would take a crack at it.

THAT said, I haven't passed the test here yet, so this ISN'T an official submission. Just my attempt at translating it. Think of it as a work in progress being posted for input and/or corrections from anyone interested. I am basing kanji lyrics from this video:

From listening to the song the kanji seems correct. However, the transliteration is HORRIBLE and should be ignored. I will be doing my own transliteration as I go. So if you see any errors there please let me know too.

EDIT: Changes from the discussion will be done in Teal

POWER OF DREAMS by lol

どんなに遠く遠く 離れていたって
    信じ続けていれば
    ねえほら泣いてないで顔を上げて
    一緒に前に進もう

don'na ni tooku tooku hanareteita tte
    shin'ji tsudzuketeireba
    nee hora naitenaide kao o agete
    issho ni mae ni susumou

However far far away they say we are seperated
    If we continue to believe
    Hey, look, without crying let's raise our faces and
    let's advance forward together

No matter however far far away they say we are separated
    if we continue to believe...
    Hey, look, without crying let's lift up our faces
    and advance forward together

I am not happy with this translation of mine. It doesn't sound right. The second line ends in an if statement but the next line doesn't seem to follow. It would sound better if the first line had a conditional (im thinking "tara" particle). I could then translate it as "However far far away they say we are seperated we continue to believe." That makes sense.

Also if the third line was not there then I could translate it as "if you continue to believe let's advance forward together." Anyone have any suggestions?

どうして下を向いて 
    零した涙を見つめてるの
    今日だめでもきっと明日って 
    信じて歩いていこう

doushite shita o muite
    koboshita namida o mitsumeteru no
    kyou dame demo kitto ashita tte 
    shin'jite aruite yukou

Why are you facing down
    and starring at spilt tears?
    Even if today is not good,
    believe in tomorrow for sure and keep walking

I kinda had to split up the translation on different lines here to get it right.

手を差し伸べてくれる人がいて
    笑い合える人がいて
    今この世界を変えるほどの
    力が生まれて行く

te o sashinobetekureru hito ga ite
    waraiaeru hito ga ite
    ima kono sekai o kaeru hodo no
    chikara ga umareteiku

There are people who who stretch out their hands,
    There are people who smile at each other, and
    Now power to the extent to
    change this world is born

There are people who give out a helping hand
    Now enough power to
    change this world can go on to be born

I think the translation would sound better if I added "to help others" to the first line. Again I had to split the translation a bit between third and forth line of the stanza.

どんなに遠く遠く離れていたって
    信じ続けていれば
    EVERYTHING IS FOR YOU FOR YOU
    夜が明けてもう朝日は昇る

don'na ni tooku tooku hanareteita tte
    shin'ji tsudzuketeireba
    yoru ga akete mou asahi wa noboru

However far far away they say we are seperated
    No matter however far far away we are separated
    We have passed the night and already the morning sun is rising

No matter how many times I listen I don't hear the word "is" during the english section. I still feel like I should translate this as "However far far away they say we are seperated we continue to believe."

恐れないで 
    迷わないで
    描いた夢
    叶えに行こう

osorenai de 
    mayowanai de
    egaita yume
    kanae ni ikou

Without being afraid,
    without waivering,
    the dream we imagined
    let's go grant it

Without being afraid,
    without wavering,
    Let's go grant
    the dream we imagined

Normally I translate "mayou" and its conjugations as "to be lost." But I felt given the context "waiver" was a better translation.

ねえほら泣いてないで顔を上げて
    一緒に前に進もう

nee hora naitenaide kao o agete
    issho ni mae ni susumou

I feel pretty confident in my translation here.

たった一度の失敗
    溜息ばかりを繰り返して
    もう周りの人と比べて
    落ち込んだりしないでよ

tatta ichido no shippai
    tameiki bakari o kurikaeshite
    mou mawari no hito to kurabete
    ochikondari shinaide yo

It is merely one time's failure
    Repeating nothing but sighs,
    compared with the people already surrounding us,
    we won't feel down!

At just one failure
    all you do is sigh
    compared to the people surrounding us
    please don't feel down anymore

I thought "merely" the best translation of "tatta" but it does sound slightly off.

I originally wanted to translate "mou mawari no hito to kurabete" as "already compared with people around us." The ending line of the stanza I wasn't sure if I should translate that as "we won't fall" or "we won't feel down." Based on the context (they already lost) I went with the latter. However, the former does sound better.

もしも雨に打たれるのなら
    共に雨を感じよう
    「一人じゃない」その言葉は
    勇気に変わるから

moshi mo ame ni butareru no nara
    tomo ni ame o kan'jiyou
    "hitori janai" sono kotoba wa
    yuuki ni kawaru kara

Even if we are struck by the rain,
    Then let's feel the rain together
    Because the words "I am not alone"
    Turns into courage
    will turn into courage

I don't like the redundancy of the english translation of the first two lines here. However, that is how it should be translated right? The second two lines doesn't sound right in english, but I think the translation is correct.

大地に咲いた花
    君の夢が
    ずっと枯れない様に
    強い日差しもそう力に変えて

daichi ni saita hana
    kimi no yume ga
    zutto karenai you ni
    tsuyoi hizashi mo sou chikara ni kaete

The blooming flowers on the ground,
    Your dream,
    may they not wither for a long time
    The seamingly strong sunlight changes into power

may they never wither
    the strong sunlight changes into power

I am still not hearing the "is" in the english line.

The third line sounds weak. I would like to translate it as "may they never wither." But that is not my understanding of "zutto." The last line also sounds awkward.

暗闇でも
    見えなくても
    道は先に
    続いてる

kurayami demo
    mienakute mo
    michi wa saki ni
    tsudzui teru

Even if in darkness,
    even if it isn't visible
    the road
    continues ahead

I think my translation here is fine.

もしも不安で前へ進めないなら
    僕が手を握るよ

moshi mo fuan'de mae e susumenai nara
    bokuga te o nigiru yo

Even if it isn't safe to advance ahead
    I will grip your hand

Even if you feel anxious and unable to advance ahead
    I will take your hand

Would "hold" be an okay translation for nigiru? I have always translated it as "to grip"

何度だって
    挫けそうになるけど
    その度に
    君は強くなってきたから  

nan'do datte
    kujikesou ni naru kedo
    sono tabi ni
    kimi wa tsuyoku nattekita kara

No matter how many times it takes
    although it seems to become strained
    although it seems to be heartbreaking
    Because, this time
    you have become strong

Okay I have listened to this like repeatedly. Every where seems to write it as "君は強くなってきたから/ kimi wa tsuyoku nattekita kara" but I SWEAR I hear her singing "君は強くなってだから/ kimi wa tsuyoku natte da kara." Either way I think I would translate it the same way. But I think the kanji here is wrong.

最後の最後なんて 
    決めたりしないで
    何度もトライしようよ
    チャンスはきっと一歩
    踏み出したら
    待っているものだから

saigo no saigo nan'te 
    kimetari shinai de
    nan'do mo torai* shiyou yo *(english word "try")*
    chan'su wa kitto ippo
    fumidashitara
    matte iru mono da kara

Without deciding something
    like the end of the end
    Lets try any number of times
    Because chances are,
    if we step one foot forward
    it will be waiting.

If we step
    one step foward for sure,
    oppurtunity will be waiting

I flipped the translation of line 1 and 2 of the stanza here so it would make more sense in English. I have no idea what is mean by "matteiru mono." The translation would be "waiting thing" right? I went with "it will be waiting" as that seemed to make the most sense...though I am still wondering what "it" is?

どんなに遠く遠く離れていたって
    信じ続けていれば
    夜が明けてもう朝日は昇る

don'na ni tooku tooku hanarete ita tte
    shin'ji tsudzuketeireba
    yoru ga akete mou asahi wa noboru

However far far away they say we were seperated
    No matter however far far away we are separated
    We have passed the night and already the morning sun is rising

Again, my same comments about the first and second lines of this chorus. Still not hearing any "is" in the third line.

恐れないで 
    迷わないで
    描いた夢
    叶えに行こう

osorenaide 
    mayowanaide
    egaita yume
    kanae ni ikou

Without being afraid,
    without waivering,
    the dream we imagined
    let's go grant it

Without being afraid,
    without wavering,
    Let's go grant
    the dream we imagined
    [/quote][/center]

Maybe I should combine the third and forth lines here and translate it as "Let's go grant the dream we imagined?"

ねえほら泣いてないで顔を上げて
    一緒に前に進もう

nee hora naitenai de kao o agete
    issho ni mae ni susumou

I think I did this one correctly.

Okay that is it. Any comments/criticisms/corrections?
    Last edited by Lost247365; 11-13-2018 at 05:48 AM.
    迷いだということまで私達は自分達を見つけり始まれない

ヘンリーデイヴィッドソロー

AnimeLyrics Admin
    EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-25-2020 10:24 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: xenographer Steam ID: xen0glossy

Default Re: Attempted translation at "Power of Dream" by lol

In this case the lyrics you found seem fine, but if you're going to submit romaji to the site you should really base them on a reliable source for official lyrics, such as Uta-Net, Kasi-Time, or J-Lyric. This particular song is on Uta-Net. You can search individual sites for a song by title or artist or you can just google "[artist name] [song title] 歌詞."

どんなに遠く遠く 離れていたって
    信じ続けていれば
    "~たって" is similar to "~ても." I had a hard time finding a good source discussing this in English, but here's a conversation about it with some examples.

I think what the conditional implies here is that believing is what enables them to walk on without crying, with heads held high.

I kinda had to split up the translation on different lines here to get it right.
    This is fine and you shouldn't go out of your way to avoid it. Japanese grammar and English grammar are very different, and if you make a huge effort to keep everything in the same order, it results in very awkward translations. For example, "the dream we imagined / let's go grant it" would sound much better as "let's go grant / the dream we imagined."

I am still not hearing the "is" in the english line.
    It's there, it just kind of gets lost because they're going fast. It comes out more like "Everything's for you," but I clearly hear the "s".

落ち込んだりしないでよ
    ~て and ~ないで when at the end of a sentence are generally a soft imperative/request; there's an implied omitted ください.

強い日差しもそう力に変えて
    You can see here that the そう isn't attached to either the adjective or the verb. This is the そう that means "yes" and it's there for emphasis.

もしも不安で前へ進めないなら
    Though 安 does appear in words relating to safety, 不安 can't mean "unsafe." It has its own specific definition which, again, you should look up if you're not 100% sure. 進めない is another example of the potential verb form (negative, in this case), which I discussed in the Right Light Rise thread.

挫けそうになるけど
    While 挫ける has a range of meanings, 挫けそう specifically has fewer, and "strained" is not one.

君は強くなってきたから
    The "き" does seem to be getting dropped, but I think this just results in "なってた" (usually a contraction of なっていた). なってだから doesn't really make grammatical sense.

チャンスはきっと一歩
    チャンスは can't mean "chances are" like the English expression. チャンス is the subject of this sentence, which should solve your problems with the last line.

3. Thanks Lost247365 thanked for this post
    Likes Lost247365 liked this post
    Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-25-2023 08:47 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Wow I haven't watched fairy tail for ages, the main plot was not unfolding fast enough for me. But I love that song!

About verse 1, I asked a Japanese work colleague once about -たって and he said it was similar to -ても.

As bluepenguin says, the sense I get is that no matter how far apart, if we believe, see [=you can experience it], let's advance together, without tears, with our heads up.

I'm confused about the conditional, though. I thought -eba means that what follows will definitely happen, whereas 進もう means it's up to you (and if you fail it won't happen).

verse 3, maybe you can translate it a bit more loosely as "there are those who give a helping hand". With the last line, I think 生まれて行く means that the being born is ongoing. You've translated it like 生まれている: "enough power to change the world is being born".

verse 7, as you say "merely" doesn't have the right tone. Personally I'd say "at just one failure, all you do is sigh". もう generally signifies a change of state, so it could relate to しないで rather than 周り or 比べて.

verse 8, in english, repeating a word feels more uncomfortable than it does in Japanese, but in this case the repetition is deliberate and I think should be preserved. I like your translation. I'd translate 変わる as "will turn into" but it it's up to your interpretation.

verse 9 (if I've counted right), yes ずっと is often hard to translate directly. I prefer to focus on the feeling it's expressing and then convert that back into my own English words.

verse 11 (maybe), 握る can mean "grasp, grip, hold, take hold of". In English, "hold your hand" has a condescending tone, while "grip your hand" emphasizes the strength of the action rather than its purpose. Maybe "take your hand" conveys the sense better.

really lost count of verses ... Yes チャンス means "opportunity" as in "seize the chance".

NB spelling: separated, wavering

5. Thanks Lost247365 thanked for this post
    Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Gifts Kill Bill Katana Compass
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-25-2019 07:34 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by bluepenguin View Post
    In this case the lyrics you found seem fine, but if you're going to submit romaji to the site you should really base them on a reliable source for official lyrics, such as Uta-Net, Kasi-Time, or J-Lyric. This particular song is on Uta-Net. You can search individual sites for a song by title or artist or you can just google "[artist name] [song title] 歌詞."
    Thank you! I am bookmarking those sites. I mainly have been searching youtube using {song}, lyrics. Having official lyrics would be a big help, though I still like to find the offical music videos just so I can hear the lyrics and hear how they are pronounced.

"~たって" is similar to "~ても." I had a hard time finding a good source discussing this in English, but here's a conversation about it with some examples.

I think what the conditional implies here is that believing is what enables them to walk on without crying, with heads held high.
    Ah, I wouldn't have ever figured that out. I that it was a past tense verb follwed by an abbrieviated という/って. I will definitely be writing this explanation in my notes and underlining it.

This is fine and you shouldn't go out of your way to avoid it. Japanese grammar and English grammar are very different, and if you make a huge effort to keep everything in the same order, it results in very awkward translations. For example, "the dream we imagined / let's go grant it" would sound much better as "let's go grant / the dream we imagined."
    That will make things much easier!

It's there, it just kind of gets lost because they're going fast. It comes out more like "Everything's for you," but I clearly hear the "s".
    Now that I can hear.

~て and ~ないで when at the end of a sentence are generally a soft imperative/request; there's an implied omitted ください.
    Okay. I will correct that.

You can see here that the そう isn't attached to either the adjective or the verb. This is the そう that means "yes" and it's there for emphasis.
    Ah! I was thinking that was just a combination of the も and そう particles. I will change that. I am guessing that 変えて is also an abbreviation for 変えてください like above.

Though 安 does appear in words relating to safety, 不安 can't mean "unsafe." It has its own specific definition which, again, you should look up if you're not 100% sure. 進めない is another example of the potential verb form (negative, in this case), which I discussed in the Right Light Rise thread.
    I think my error on 不安 was due to be being to loose with my translation. I took its definition of "insecurity" to be interchangable with "unsafe." Or should have translated that as anxiety?

Sorry for messing up the potential form up again. I thought that was the transitive counterpart to 進む .

So fixing that I guess the translation should be:

"If you are unable to advance forward due to your (anxiety/insecurity)
    I will grab your hand."

While 挫ける has a range of meanings, 挫けそう specifically has fewer, and "strained" is not one.
    Sorry I meant to type sprained.

The "き" does seem to be getting dropped, but I think this just results in "なってた" (usually a contraction of なっていた). なってだから doesn't really make grammatical sense.
    That works for me

チャンスは can't mean "chances are" like the English expression. チャンス is the subject of this sentence, which should solve your problems with the last line.
    Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Raichu View Post
    Wow I haven't watched fairy tail for ages, the main plot was not unfolding fast enough for me. But I love that song!
    That show has several great opening and closing themes. These two in particular were pretty good, so I really wanted to try to translate these

About verse 1, I asked a Japanese work colleague once about -たって and he said it was similar to -ても.

As bluepenguin says, the sense I get is that no matter how far apart, if we believe, see [=you can experience it], let's advance together, without tears, with our heads up.

I'm confused about the conditional, though. I thought -eba means that what follows will definitely happen, whereas 進もう means it's up to you (and if you fail it won't happen).
    You saying that makes me feel better about how confused I was by those lyrics.

verse 3, maybe you can translate it a bit more loosely as "there are those who give a helping hand". With the last line, I think 生まれて行く means that the being born is ongoing. You've translated it like 生まれている: "enough power to change the world is being born".
    I think you are right on both accounts. Your suggestion sounds much better on the former point and reading bluepenguin's comments on a different thread I think you are totally correct with regards to the final verse of that stanza. Maybe rephrase it as:

"
    There are people who give out a helping hand
    Now enough power to
    change this world can go on to be born
    "

verse 7, as you say "merely" doesn't have the right tone. Personally I'd say "at just one failure, all you do is sigh". もう generally signifies a change of state, so it could relate to しないで rather than 周り or 比べて.
    I like those suggestions. Maybe,

"Fail only one time
    all you do is sigh
    compared to the people surrounding up
    please don't feel down anymore."

verse 8, in english, repeating a word feels more uncomfortable than it does in Japanese, but in this case the repetition is deliberate and I think should be preserved. I like your translation. I'd translate 変わる as "will turn into" but it it's up to your interpretation.
    I like that suggestion! Thank you!

verse 9 (if I've counted right), yes ずっと is often hard to translate directly. I prefer to focus on the feeling it's expressing and then convert that back into my own English words.
    I think that is a good way to do it. I think I will change it to "never wither" then as I feel that experesses the feeling much better.

verse 11 (maybe), 握る can mean "grasp, grip, hold, take hold of". In English, "hold your hand" has a condescending tone, while "grip your hand" emphasizes the strength of the action rather than its purpose. Maybe "take your hand" conveys the sense better.
    Yeah, that definitely seems to express the feeling of the song better.

really lost count of verses ... Yes チャンス means "opportunity" as in "seize the chance".

NB spelling: separated, wavering
    Okay I will fix those things.

And with that, thank you both for all your effort, time, and patience dealing with my translation attempts! I greatly appreciate it!
    迷いだということまで私達は自分達を見つけり始まれない

ヘンリーデイヴィッドソロー

AnimeLyrics Admin
    EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-25-2020 10:24 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: xenographer Steam ID: xen0glossy

I still like to find the offical music videos just so I can hear the lyrics and hear how they are pronounced.
    Oh, absolutely, if you're doing a transliteration you do need to listen to the song too. I just think it'll probably be easier for you not to have to transcribe the kanji from a video!

"If you are unable to advance forward due to your (anxiety/insecurity)
    I will grab your hand."
    Sounds good to me! Which word you use to translate 不安 here is up to personal preference, I would say.

Sorry I meant to type sprained.
    That's not it either, I'm afraid. 挫ける can be a physical state, but 挫けそう, as I've seen/heard it used, is specifically an emotional state.

Edit: And yes, the choice of -えば for something that has the possibility of not happening is weird, but I'm chalking it up to "sometimes song lyrics do weird stuff." /shrug
    Last edited by EJTranslations; 10-23-2018 at 10:31 AM.

8. Thanks Lost247365 thanked for this post
    bambooXZX will become famous soon enough bambooXZX's Avatar
    Gil
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-18-2023 04:37 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

The weirdness of ~えば in the first verse is probably a byproduct of making an intro verse from the first and last two lines of the chorus. I've definitely seen similar cases of this practice, rearranging later lines to make a short verse, that kind of ignored the implications on grammar. (maybe not the best example, but just off the top of my head, see Find the blue)

Unfortunately I don't have much advice on how to cope with this, but I feel like it's probably not a huge deal.

10. Thanks Lost247365 thanked for this post
+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information