AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top 5 Heartbreaking Moments in Anime

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Post Top 5 Heartbreaking Moments in Anime

Here is my list, in reverse order, of the top five heart-breaking moments in anime. But that I mean the breaking of a character's heart, or breaking the heart of the viewer.

WARNING! I will try to minimize them, but there are some spoilers below.

5. Haruka realizes the truth from Rumbling Hearts. Haruka and Takayuki are high school lovers. But Haruka is seriously injured in a traffic accident and spends years in a coma. When she wakens, Takayuki has moved on and is involved with a mutual friend. Everyone tries to keep the truth from Haruka, but eventually she figures it out. Takayuki is no longer the same boy she fell in love with and who fell in lover with her. Haruka accepts the situation, but it does hurt.

4. Shirley's death from Code Geass. Shirley loves Lalouch, and Lalouch has feelings for Shirley. But when Rollo kills Shirley, Lalouch is forced to hide those feelings. He wants to take revenge, but for now he needs Rollo. Lalouch keeps a smile on his face, but you know he is dying inside.

3. Kanade leaves Yuzuru from Angel Beats. Imagine if the after-life was high school. Well, Yuzuru is the first to figure out that this school is just a way station until each individual's soul is ready to move one. With this revaluation finally coming clear, Yuzuru and his friends help prepare others for their final journey. Eventually, only Yuzuru and Kanade are left. Yuzuru confesses his love for Kanade, and suggests they stay behind to help future souls who will travel to this high school preparation station. But Kanade is ready to move on. Yuzuru is left by himself.

2. Ono's breakdown from Hi Score Girl. Yaguchi is a schoolboy with only one talent -- he is a master of video games. Ono is the smart girl in class with a proper upbringing in a wealthy family. So Yaguchi is surprised to find her one day in a video arcade showing talents on par with his own. Yaguchi sees Ono as a rival, but Ono has problems. Shy and withdrawn, she doesn't speak at any time in the series. She has no relationship to her classmates, and a strained relationship with her family. Ono begins to rely on Yaguchi for the emotional support which she has been lacking. Eventually her family decides to send her out of the country for school. When Yaguchi comes to say goodbye, Ono falls on him, hugging him closely, and crying uncontrollably. It is a gut wrenching scene.

1. The deaths of Setsuko and Seita from Grave of the Fireflies. Seita is a 14-year-old boy orphaned and alone except for his little sister Setsuko. During the days of World War II, they live together in a shelter apart from anyone else. Seita tries his best to care for his little sister, but eventually Setsuko falls ill and dies. Seita survives, but only to become a homeless bum. He eventually dies alone in the street. I don't know anyone who has ever seen this film and not have their heart break.

So now your turn. Any comments on what I posted above? How about posting your own favorite heartbreaking moments? Describe them.

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

Senior Member Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Mario Ice Flower Gabumon 007 - Squirtle
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-01-2024 10:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Takatofan1986

Default Re: Top 5 Heartbreaking Moments in Anime

I can't really think of a #5 atm. I thought about My Hero Academia when All Might finished his last battle, and said to everyone, yet TO Midoriya "Now, it's your turn." But I wasn't sure that really fit.

#4 Ouran HS Host Club: The entire last few episodes. Man for a hilarious series, Ouran sure got deep. The last few eps were just so heartbreaking. The club was to disband (Though it didn't last) Tamaki being forced to marry a woman he didn't love and ignore Haruhi... It was all so sad. Though it had a happy ending, it was a tough few eps to watch.

#3 Yakitate!! Japan: Tsukino at her mom's grave. While I usually talk about how hilarious Yakitate!! Japan is, and it is, there are some surprisingly sad moments of the show. The saddest to me being Tsukino reliving the memory of her going to place her mothers ashes, and the evil (***** (self censored)) Yukino taking the urn from her, and dumping her ashes on a tree. So when she visits the grave, she talks to the tree, knowing that's where her mom is.

#2 Fullmetal Alchemist/Brotherhood: The death of Hughes. Admittedly, he is higher on my list because he was my favorite character from that show. Others would argue Nina, but while that was very sad, I hated seeing huges die, especially when the humunculus turned into his wife before killing him. So. Sad. Edit: OH! AND THEN.... .... .... If I wasn't already sad... Alicia at the funeral saying "Why are they burying daddy? He has work to do!" :'( :'( :'(

#1 - People that aren't fans of Digimon will think I'm crazy I'm sure but, the saddest moment for me will always be:

Digimon Tamers: Their Digimon leaving.

In hindsight, what is good about it was, a season that was set in 'the real world', that the characters watched the other seasons on TV, and felt more real, would have more of a realistic non 'everything is happy' ending. Though all the separations are sad, by far Takato and Guilmon are the saddest. Takato drew Guilmon into existance, and promised Guilmon several times that they would always be together. So, the sudden separation is particularly hard. The anime ended 1 minute later, after Takato finds that the portal to the Digital world is still there, giving hope. But, the creator, novels, and Audio dramas reveal that the portal isn't capable of traveling through anymore. There are lots of sad moments in Digimon, but for me, by far, this is the saddest.
    Last edited by Takatofan1986; 12-19-2019 at 09:05 AM.

🐮🔪 "I'll see it when I believe it" 🐮🔪 ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Cookie Cookie Hedgehog
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-16-2023 02:57 PM
    The corner of Everywhere and Nowhere, ya dig?
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: TwilightWolf2508 Steam ID: zombiewolf2508

It was hard to pick 5, after seeing so much and reading manga, a lot of it kinda starts blending together and I know I've probably forgotten some really good moments.

This goes without saying, but spoilers.

5. Steins;Gate- The repeated deaths of Mayuri.

I was really unsure on including this, as it isn't a singular moment and is more so the plot of the show, but I couldn't decide on anything else for the list. Steins;Gate follows a self proclaimed mad scientist who accidentally invents a machine capable of sending messages to the past. Using this machine, he and his friends begin sending different messages to the past, causing the future to change in seemingly favorable ways. Ultimately however, the lab is eventually raided, and his best friend is killed as a result. He uses the machine to attempt to save her, which triggers a loop of watching her die repeatedly in various ways.

4. One Piece- Goodbye Merry.

One Piece is a long running series that's usually lighthearted, but it also has many heartwrenching moments. During one of the earlier arcs, the crew finds out that their ship, the Going Merry, is damaged beyond repair, news that shakes the group to their core and even leads to a crew member temporarily leaving the crew just to stay with the ship he loves. A lot happens throughout the arc, and at a moment when the crew is in a seemingly hopeless situation, the ship mysteriously appears to save them. However, the mysterious act is the last straw for the ship, as it finally fully breaks down. The crew is left with no choice but to give the Merry a funeral at sea while tearfully looking on. It may seem ridiculous that the loss of a simple ship could be heartbreaking, but this is easily one of the saddest moments in the anime, surpassing even major deaths.

3. Plastic Memories- Isla's recovery.

Plastic Memories follows a guy who works at a service for the termination and recovery of highly advanced androids called Giftias. These androids each have a major flaw, in that they must me terminated within a certain time frame, or their memories and personalities may degrade and cause them to go berserk. The main character Tsukasa is teamed up with a Giftia (Isla) who is very cold and distant, but over the course of the anime, she eventually begins to open up and she learns to cope with her future. As her lifespan come to an end, she goes on a final date with her partner. The two share a tearful farewell as he terminates and recovers her, then returns home to find a note containing her final words.

2. Assassination Classroom- The assassination of Koro Sensei.

The entire plot of Assassination Classroom is simple: students of a remedial class have until graduation to kill their mysterious teacher or the world will be destroyed. The majority of the anime is a comedy, showing the kids having a blast as they attempt to kill Koro Sensei while drastically improving their academics. The whole thing is pretty light hearted, and you even get a glimmer of hope that there is actually a way to save the world without killing him. However, this isn't the case. As graduation draws close, the school is attacked and Koro Sensei is severely injured in an attempt to save the students. Realizing the situation, the highly trained students reluctantly pin him down, and finally complete their mission while crying their eyes out over the loss of the best teacher they've ever had.

1. Made in Abyss- The death of Mitty.

Made in Abyss, on the surface, is a cute anime about exploration and discovery. Hidden underneath these cute characters and beautiful art however, is a very dark world. The series follows Riku and Reg, a young girl and a boy robot who journey into a massive abyss to find Riku's mother and discover the secrets of the abyss. The abyss is cursed, in that the deeper you go, the harder it is to ascend without severe consequences. The 6th layer in particular, known as the Capital of the Unreturned, can cause the loss of one's humanity or death. After siuffering a critical injury on the 4th layer, the two are eventually saved and taken into the care of a strange creature, Nanachi. She tells Reg that she is a hollow, a special exception to the curse of the 6th layer, and she eventually introduces him to Mitty, a small grotesque slug-like creature, and explains that she is also a hollow, who retained none of her personality or humanity. After Reg helps Nanachi a bit, she eventually asks him an unthinkable favor. Feeling as if Mitty's soul is still trapped within the shell of a body, she asks him to kill Mitty. She explains that Mitty is impervious to everything, but still feels the pain of injury. She believes a special weapon Reg wields is the only hope she has, as a similar weapon was the only thing to ever permanently injure Mitty. After a tragic and twisted backstory, Reg finally agrees. They share a tearful goodbye, and Mitty is finally laid to rest. Nanachi and Reg both break down in tears as Nanachi screams for "her treasure." For a character only present for a few episodes, who was nothing more than a grotesque pile of flesh, and who only had a small amount of backstory, this was easily one of the saddest and darkest moments of any anime I've ever seen.
    Last edited by ZombieWolf2508; 12-19-2019 at 04:06 PM. Reason: I despise autocorrect

My mood on a daily basis

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

When Bulbasaur was crushed before he miraculously learned dig.

Ryoko's "Death" in Tenchi

The death of the wildcat mom in Azumanga daioh

Faye Valentine's video tape.

Death of Sailor Saturn.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

[QUOTE=Takatofan1986;2907698] #4 Ouran HS Host Club: The entire last few episodes. Man for a hilarious series, Ouran sure got deep. The last few eps were just so heartbreaking. The club was to disband (Though it didn't last) Tamaki being forced to marry a woman he didn't love and ignore Haruhi... It was all so sad. Though it had a happy ending, it was a tough few eps to watch. [QUOTE]

I expected a happy ending, so it was not so much a heart-breaker for me. One thing which did not end well -- no second season. Also when Haruhi falls off the bridge and Tamaki goes after her, that would have been a perfect time for their first kiss. I understand in the manga they do fall in love, get married, and have a child. Or they have a child and then marry.

[QUOTE=Takatofan1986;2907698]#2 Fullmetal Alchemist/Brotherhood: (. . . .) If I wasn't already sad... Alicia at the funeral saying "Why are they burying daddy? He has work to do!" :'( :'( :'( [QUOTE]

That scene certainly was a downer. You could really feel everyone's pain. Put it as #6 on my list.
    Last edited by PictureGuy; 12-19-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The bit where Envy offed himself wasn't bad either
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Ono's breakdown from Hi Score Girl:

Last edited by PictureGuy; 12-21-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I should have included this on my list:

Junior Member Kuro Tenshi210 is on a distinguished road Kuro Tenshi210's Avatar
    Gil
    Happy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2019 10:11 PM
    Threads

5. Ryoko's "death" in Tenchi Muyo
    4. Sailor Saturn's death
    3. What happened to Nina in Fullmetal Alchemist
    2 .Itachi's death in Naruto and Sasuke finding out the truth about him
    1.Ace's death in One Piece and watching Luffy just cry and scream

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro Tenshi210 View Post
    3. What happened to Nina in Fullmetal Alchemist
    FMA did have its moments in heart-breaks. But no one has mentioned the failure of Ed and Winry to get together by the end of the series. Not only that, but it looked like they would never have the chance to get together. The wrap up movie, FMA: The Conqueror of Shamballa pretty much guaranteed Ed and Winry would never hook up. Many an FMA fan had his/her heart broken. Even more were angry.

Fortunately the Brotherhood re-boot fixed all that.

11. Likes Kuro Tenshi210 liked this post
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

OK. HUGE SPOILER HERE!

I'd better hid this one. I posted mostly minor spoilers above. This one is major. It's from No Game, No Life: Zero, which I had just finished watching and have just posted comments on in the review section.

The death of Schwi. It nearly totally destroys Riku when he learns of Schwi's destruction. His heart is not just broken, its shattered.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Not a top 10 choice, but my heart was broken watching FLCL Progressive when we see Canti dismantled and discarded like junk. He was one of the most beloved characters in the original FLCL.

This is one of two reasons not to watch FLCL Progressive. The other reason is that it just plain sucks. So does FLCL Alternative.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Heartbreak #4. From Code Geass, Lelouch can't save Shirley. Unfortunately they don't show the best part -- where Rolo comes in and Lelouch hides the pain.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

How could I forget the ending of Metropolis? Warning! There is a major magnitude spoiler I am hiding, plus the video link is a spoiler. So do not read or watch unless you either have seen the movie, or you just don't care.

Kenichi is accompanying his uncle, a private detective, on one of his cases. He saves a young girl named Tima, and falls in love with her.

But Tima is an intelligent robot. At the end, her memory and identity is wiped, and she tries to kill Kenichi. Still Kenichi tires to save Tima's life. Tima begins to regain herself, but falls to her destruction. All a broken-hearted Kenichi can do is watch.

Sorry, no subtitles with this link. But you really don't need them.
    Last edited by PictureGuy; 01-08-2020 at 06:57 PM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Based on what others have posted, I am redoing my list into a Top 10 (from the bottom up).

10. Haruka realizing the truth from Rumbling Hearts
    9. Mayuri's shooting from Steins; Gate
    8. Kenichi fails to save Tima from Metropolis
    7. Shirley's Death from Code Geass
    6. Kanade leaves Yuzuru from Angel Beats
    5. Riku's reaction to Schwi's Death from No Game, No Life: Zero
    4. Ono's breakdown from Hi Score Girl
    3. Alicia at her father's funeral from Full Metal Alchamist
    2. The final duet between Arima and Kaori from Your Lie in April (how could we have forgotten that one until now?)

But the most heartbreaking moment is still:

1. The deaths of Setsuko and Seita from Grave of the Fireflies.

The floor is still open for considerations.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    2. The final duet between Arima and Kaori from Your Lie in April (how could we have forgotten that one until now?)
    Since I mentioned with without an explanation, I should explain. But while this thread does contain some spoilers, this one is a mega-spoiler, so I will hide it.

Kaori undergoes risky surgery to save her life, while at the same time Arima performs in a piano competition. Kaori's spirit appears, and she and Arima play one more duet together. At the end, Kaori's spirit fades away, and we know she has died.

This is one of the most powerful moments in anime. (That would make a great new thread!) Don't watch this clip until you have seen the series. It's more powerful knowing what has lead to this moment.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Maybe not top 10, but a good one from Maid-Sama.

Spoiler

Hinata doesn't come into the series until the last four episodes or so. But he does have an influence on the series. The broken heart moment comes when he realizes he has no chance in winning Misaki over from Takumi. But he does promise to keep trying -- a set up for season 2, which apparently will never come. It's a good series to watch, but it did not fair well in Japan.

Junior Member Liesanne is an unknown quantity at this point Liesanne's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-23-2020 01:18 PM
    Threads

I expected a happy ending, so it was not so much a heart-breaker for me. One thing which did not end well -- no second season. Also when Haruhi falls off the bridge and Tamaki goes after her, that would have been a perfect time for roblox music codes their first kiss. I understand in the manga they do fall in love, get married, and have a child. Or they have a child and then marry.
    Last edited by Liesanne; 02-24-2020 at 02:53 AM. Reason: spelling

21. Dislikes PictureGuy disliked this post
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The heart break scene from Rambling Hearts.

Warning! Spoilers! Well, its in Japanese without subs, but you can guess the geast.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information