AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dumb, but Fun Anime

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Wink Dumb, but Fun Anime

I started a thread like this once before, but that was a while back and it doesn’t appear here anymore. So since we have a few new people on board, I thought I’d start it up again.

What is a dumb, but fun anime? Exactly what it sounds like. The story is dumb. The voice acting is dumb. The characters are dumb. The animation is dumb. But it is still fun to watch.

Now I am not talking about some poorly made trash that is fun to watch because it is so bad that you sit there and make fun of it. I am talking about good anime which entertains by being dumb, but fun. Here are a few:

FLCL. Forget FLCL Alternate and FLCL Progressive. Those were just dumb attempts to imitate the original classic. The series’ main character is Naota, who is the only normal person in his entire town. Well, maybe Eri Ninamori, a classmate who just may be attracted to Naota. That’s debatable. From family to friends, Naota deals with a town of eccentrics. But that does not prepare him from an alien invader posing as their housekeeper. Haruko turns Naota’s life upside down, pushes him to the limit, without really paying too much attention to the storyline. Mostly FLCL just satirizes anime.

Kill la Kill. This anime series starts off as your typical revenge story with teenaged Ryuko trying to avenge her father’s murder. Only she has to do it half naked, and with half of a giant scissors. Then it slowly gets weird. Ryuko must do battle with the entire high school student government, with her faithful, and half-witted, totally wired sidekick Mako at her side. But behind the scenes is a sinister plot to enslave mankind to their clothing. Everyone gets naked at the climax. Well, spoilers aren’t important in dumb, but fun.

Kill Me Baby, aka Baby, Please Kill Me. Schoolgirl Yasuna wants to be best friends with classmate Sonya. Sonya is a highly trained, highly skilled professional assassin. There is also Agiri, a fellow classmate and ninja looking to make a buck, and an Unused Character. Total nonsense, but fun to watch.

Cromartie High School. Takashi is a good boy, respectful and well behaved. Somehow he gets sent to a school for juvenile delinquents. But Takashi’s knowledge of yogurt gains him recognition as the head of all gangs in the city. What else can you say about a series that features a Freddie Mercury look-a-like? Each episode is only 15 minutes long, but there is enough comedy for an hour. Although much of the humor pokes fun at Japanese culture, so many of those jokes may go over the heads of non-Japanese. Oh, and all schools in the series are named after American baseball players who spent time in Japan.

Space Dandy. Dr. Gel pursues Dandy across the universe. Why? That’s not important. All you need to know is Dandy, his trusty vacuum cleaner/robot QT, and his sidekick Meow are all idiots. Funny show, though.

Your turn.

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Default Re: Dumb, but Fun Anime

From FLCL, a typical boring day in the life of young Naota:

Don't try to make any sense of it. You would spoil the fun.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Feel the tension, the excitement of Kill la Kill:

Now feel the stupidity. But it is still a fun anime. Don't you love little Mako? (She's the one sleeping in class.)

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    Threads

Again I need specifics.

Try

My Bride is a mermaid
    Or Excel Saga

Ooo, Bludgeoning Angel!

Or check out AMV Hell on Youtube

Last edited by Clayton_n; 03-15-2021 at 04:18 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

5. Likes mimiruchan liked this post
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Excel Saga is a popular dumb, but fun anime. Personally I didn't care for it, but I can understand why others do. It was completely off the wall -- and out the window.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From Kill Me Baby, it's dangerous when you try to make friends with a classmate who's a trained assassin:

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I was watching Those Who Hunt Elves last night.

For those unfamiliar with the series a group of people (martial artist, gun nut, actress) get summoned to a D&D type world by accident and start saving the place from bad guys in between trying to get home. Only the spell they need has been scattered and imprinted on the skin of beautiful but prissy elves who are often embarrassed by the strange marks and refuse to admit they exist or let them check. So sadly the gang has to strip them against their will to check for the spells.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ That one is kind of on par with Elfin Lied, isn't it? I want to watch it, but haven't yet.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ Ignore that post. I think I got Those Who Hunt Elves mixed up with another series.

Anyway. . . .

Meet the delinquents from Cromartie High School:

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I just saw one called Tonari No Seki-Kun:The Master of Killing Time https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Think if the Michigan J Frog cartoons were an anime. This cute girl is trying to pay attention in class, but her neighbor at the next desk keeps distracting her with models and magic tricks. Not just regular stuff, but highly detailed professional things. In the opening credits for example he's actually animating the series and tricks her into talking so he can use her voice in the finished produce. She meanwhile tries to ignore it, but can't and keeps getting drawn in. naturally when the teacher looks over sees HER causing a ruckus Seki's desk is clean and normal.

Last edited by Clayton_n; 04-02-2021 at 04:32 PM.

12. Thanks sirius707 thanked for this post
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Space Dandy is a dandy guy in space.

Yup, most certainly there is space in his head where his brain should be.

14. Likes mimiruchan liked this post
    Senior Member sirius707 can only hope to improve sirius707's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-13-2023 04:20 AM
    Threads

papprika is surprisingly smart. regrettably, exceptionally laughable.

Last edited by sirius707; 04-06-2021 at 07:23 PM.

Frozen lullaby mimiruchan has a reputation beyond repute mimiruchan has a reputation beyond repute mimiruchan has a reputation beyond repute mimiruchan has a reputation beyond repute mimiruchan has a reputation beyond repute mimiruchan has a reputation beyond repute mimiruchan has a reputation beyond repute mimiruchan has a reputation beyond repute mimiruchan has a reputation beyond repute mimiruchan has a reputation beyond repute mimiruchan has a reputation beyond repute mimiruchan's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Chibi Crisis Moon Compact Orange Dango Cosmic Heart Compact
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-06-2021 10:37 PM
    Threads

A few I could think of have already been posted.
    I don’t know why, but I used to watch a lot of pointless anime back in the day ^^;
    Excel saga was one of my all time favourites, that being said another anime/manga series comes to mind when I think of “dumb” and that would be Di Gi Charat. I still have some of the manga I’ve collected ...and will always appreciate the thumb like background characters haha.

Heres a decent review video for context:

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sirius707 View Post

papprika is surprisingly smart. regrettably, exceptionally laughable.

I don’t know what I just watched but I want to see this now xD haha
    Also, the guy at the end reminds me of an anime version of J.Jameson (Spider-Man)

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by mimiruchan View Post
    A few I could think of have already been posted.
    I don’t know why, but I used to watch a lot of pointless anime back in the day ^^;
    Excel saga was one of my all time favourites, that being said another anime/manga series comes to mind when I think of “dumb” and that would be Di Gi Charat.
    I don't know the anime, but I have seen pictures of the main character -- quite often. Now I know where she comes from. That's a relief!

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Dead Leaves isn't bad.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ Is this for real, or did somebody slip something into my drink?

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

I'm kicking myself because I forgot all about Papuwa Island. It's a sequel to another series, which I have never seen. But that does not mean I cannot appreciate Papuwa Island's insanity.

Kotarou is a young boy with the power to destroy the world. He escapes to Papuwa Island, but loses his memory. Kotarou is taken in by Papuwa, a kid in a grass skirt, and his man-maid Liquid. Together they have many adventures facing fish in fishnet stockings, a stoned mushroom, and a merciless mercenary who is turned into a box of white chocolate.

When outsiders invade the island:

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

My Bride is a mermaid
    Wallflower

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    ^ Is this for real, or did somebody slip something into my drink?[COLOR="Silver"]
    Both. here's the English

Last edited by Clayton_n; 04-12-2021 at 04:33 PM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I didn't care for Wallflower. I didn't finish the series.

https://www.animeforum.com/showthrea...llflower-(2006)

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

School Rumble

https://57.media.tumblr.com/63fb4ab6...8dbbo1_500.gif

And Wallflower got pretty dang good. It just comes off as a girly anime because they parody to art style, but it's got some pretty famous voice actors, good plot, lots of great humor
    Last edited by Clayton_n; 04-22-2021 at 06:30 PM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I have another anime to add. I just finished The Way of the Househusband. Check out my write-up in the review section.

Member pathospades is on a distinguished road pathospades's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2021 06:03 PM
    Threads

Has anyone mentioned Sword Art Online? MC is an overpowered tool and I love it.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I really don't consider Sword Art Online to be dumb, but fun. Fun yes, but not necessarily dumb. It's a pretty good adventure, although Alicization seemed to drag on and on.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Nobody but me remembers the 80s and 90s...

Last edited by Clayton_n; 05-04-2021 at 05:09 PM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I just started watching another dumb, but fun anime. Or at least it is trying to be fun.

Doujin Work is about the adventures of Najimi, a somewhat naïve, inexperienced, and not too bright girl who wants to draw doujin manga as a means to make money -- despite having no experience. She has several eccentric friends. There is some weird stuff going around. And I am not really sure about this one. I will do a write-up on it when I finish the series.

Now you know just as much as I do.

Senior Member Tsundere Magus will become famous soon enough Tsundere Magus's Avatar
    Angelic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-22-2021 07:17 AM
    Threads

Nichijou. For sure. No doubts.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information