AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Most Confusing Anime Series?

Senior Member Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-19-2019 04:46 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Most Confusing Anime Series?

What anime series left you dazed, confused or baffled, where you didn't quite know what was going on until the end of the series, if at all?

For me, it was We Without Wings, very confusing until the last 2 episodes, then I finally got the series and what it was about.
    PS: We Without Wings had a lead character who seemed to enter a fantasy world at times, and other characters in a lot of side stories, but they were not as they seemed. It's hard to describe without giving away too much of the story and surprise ending, etc.
    Last edited by Peppermint Hearts; 06-13-2016 at 04:23 PM.

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-12-2024 01:59 PM
    Threads

Default Re: Most Confusing Anime Series?

Boogiepop Phantom is a series where not only the episodes are not in chronological order, but the scenes withing each episode are not in chronological order either. But that is part of the series' charm. You need to watch each episode 2-3 times, and then re-watch the entire series. I recommend watching each episode in the English dub, then the Japanese with sub-titles. Both give aspects to the complex story which the other does not. It may seem like a lot of trouble, but it is well worth it. Just do not watch the director's commentary until you have seen the entire series through at least once; it contains spoilers.

FLCL's story-line was confusing and required multiple watchings. But this is a dumb, but fun anime, and the story-line is the least important aspect of the show. FLCL is a classic.

Tell us more about Win Without Wings.
    Last edited by PictureGuy; 06-01-2016 at 04:40 PM.

3. Likes Jean Markale liked this post
    Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-11-2024 06:40 PM
    Threads

The first 2 episodes of FLCL

Also Big O.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Senior Member Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale's Avatar
    Gil
    Psychadelic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-15-2017 08:13 AM
    Threads

786 Yea, my own vote goes to Boogiepop Phantom, with Serial Experiments Lain (which shares a key animator with Boogiepop) a close runner-up.

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

Yeah, Boogiepop Phantom was pretty confusing, and Serial Experiments Lain was too.
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco has a reputation beyond repute Qoco's Avatar
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Gifts Movie Ticket Mercedes-Benz Green Tea
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-09-2022 09:40 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Baccano! frustrated me because I didn't understand what was happening until a few episodes later. I even wanted to drop the show. I wasn't having it. Serial Experiments Lain is one that I finished and I still don't get.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Yu Puffin is on a distinguished road Yu Puffin's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-28-2016 06:35 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyTreetop View Post
    Baccano! frustrated me because I didn't understand what was happening until a few episodes later. I even wanted to drop the show. I wasn't having it. Serial Experiments Lain is one that I finished and I still don't get.

Oh, yes, I was just going to drop in to leave Baccano! If I hadn't watched it with my school's anime club, I probably would have just dropped it after the first episode. Non-chronological progression is very confusing indeed, especially with multiple storylines occuring at multiple times. At least once you get to the end, you can kind of understand what was going on earlier...

For me the coolest part about watching Baccano! was being thoroughly confused the whole time, having people make me just watch it to the end, and then go back to the beginning and realizing that the first episode finally makes sense only after I've finished the rest of the series.

I also get easily confused when anything happens to make a character themselves and not themselves at the same time (such as in the later parts of the D.Gray-man manga, as well as the Deadman Wonderland manga).

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

Funny; my anime club tried watching Baccano! and I dropped it. I just couldn't.

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Markale View Post
    786 Yea, my own vote goes to Boogiepop Phantom, with Serial Experiments Lain (which shares a key animator with Boogiepop) a close runner-up.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade/13.666 View Post
    Yeah, Boogiepop Phantom was pretty confusing, and Serial Experiments Lain was too.
    Lain was not as confusing as Boogiepop, but being unsure of who/what Lain was is puzzling. The second time through, though, you can catch little clues.

Both are classics!

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyTreetop View Post
    But how did you feel about Baccano! at the end? Great series, wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Yu Puffin View Post
    For me the coolest part about watching Baccano! was being thoroughly confused the whole time, having people make me just watch it to the end, and then go back to the beginning and realizing that the first episode finally makes sense only after I've finished the rest of the series.
    That was also the coolest part about Boogiepop Phantom. Though I was not that confused by Baccano! Maybe because I was totally open to the show's insanity.
    Last edited by PictureGuy; 06-07-2016 at 05:25 PM.

Senior Member Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale's Avatar
    Gil
    Psychadelic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-15-2017 08:13 AM
    Threads

786 I'm fairly surprised nopony has brought up Higurashi no Naku Koro ni! I'm a huge fan of the series--it's one of my "desert island" animes--but until the clarification provided by the second season it's confusing as hell. My first time through Season One I gave up trying to put everything into a coherent picture and just sat back for the ride, an approach which has much to recommend it. It wasn't until like my tenth time watching it that I finally put all of the elements of the first season into their proper places. For all that, I still rate it behind Boogiepop and Lain in confusion; but not by much.
    Last edited by Jean Markale; 06-10-2016 at 09:51 AM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Markale View Post
    786 I'm fairly surprised nopony has brought up Higurashi no Naku Koro ni! I'm a huge fan of the series--it's one of my "desert island" animes--but until the clarification provided by the second season it's confusing as hell. My first time through Season One I gave up trying to put everything into a coherent picture and just sat back for the ride, an approach which has much to recommend it. It wasn't until like my tenth time watching it that I finally put all of the elements of the first season into their proper places. For all that, I still rate it behind Boogiepop and Lain in confusion; but not by much.
    I haven't seen that one yet, but my understanding is it is closer to Elfin Lied than to Lain or Boogeypop.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information