AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anime which surprised you the most

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Question Anime which surprised you the most

What anime series or movie gave you what you least expected? You started watching thinking that you were watch just another story which has been done many times before, only WHAM! You get hit in the face with a complex plot which made you think!

Or you started watching thinking the anime was not that great, but at the end you are blown away and want to watch again.

Or you just were taken somewhere you did not expect to be taken. Or the anime gave you a different, but much better story than what you thought you would get. Or so on and so on.

What anime surprised you the most? And why? I want to know why. Just don't give me a title and close your browser.

I will start off with Ergo Proxy. Here I thought I was just getting another monster anime. Well, it is a monster anime, but one which questions the meaning of humanity and self-identification. Re-l considers herself a strong, independent woman, but a monster and a little girl android slowly teach her the truth. Re-l is more dependent than she thinks. The monster and android are more human. When Pino asks, "Is Pino Pino?," it is not some little girl asking a childish question. It is the essence of self-identification. This series really is deep.

Your turn.

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

Senior Member Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Mario Ice Flower Gabumon 007 - Squirtle
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-01-2024 10:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Takatofan1986

Default Re: Anime which surprised you the most

I know I've talked about it before, but, the last few eps of Ouran HS Host Club caught me completely off guard. The whole second half of the series brings on a little bit more dramatic back story, but the end just goes completely off on drama with very little humor. Even the most bouncy and happy character who carries a stuffed rabbit udders: "I HATE that woman."

I think the biggest surprise I had came from lies on the internet. In 2007 or 2008, I started watching Eyeshield 21. (Ironic how I HATE sports, but LOVE sports anime.) It's 145 episodes, and when I started watching, before Crunchyroll, only 80 or so were subbed. But between subs being slow, and then it getting picked up by Crunchyroll in 2009, (But adding eps slowly) I was slow going. By the time Crunchyroll got up to where I was, I was excited to see it again, and watched another 30 or so eps, taking me to around 115-120. But around that time, I came across a spoiler for how it would end. Usually that wouldn't bother me soooo much, but between it not being the best ending, and waiting a week for two episodes, after a couple more weeks I gave up on it. Well last year, I had foot surgery, so I couldn't walk. While I was recovering, I decided to re-watch it from the beginning, because I knew it was really funny, and I really did love it. Well this time I watched until the end and... spoilers lied. :o Differen't ending. XD

Back in the day, I was SHOCKED to find out the Digimon series was soooo not just a Pokemon rip off. (I mean, it may or may not have been in concept, but it's a totally different thing.)

Again I don't really wanna spoil anyone... But Yakitate!! Japan has a very interesting twist. .... I thought there was a box for spoilers but I don't see it... SKIP THE NEXT PARAGRAPH IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS!!

The first ep of YJ we meet Azuma, and flashes back to when he was 6, and he is dragged to a bakery, where he meets a baker and the baker teaches him about bread. The next day, the bakery closes, but Azuma vows to make an amazing bread someday. Back to the present, 10 years later, he gets a job a bakery chain. We find out later in the series, the rival bakery (Both are huge companies) are trying to take them over. We see a big scary man that runs that company, and we are eventually introduced to his (adult) children that hate him, and were abandoned by him. After all that, at the end of the series, that evil guy turns out to be.... the man from the bakery that gave Azuma his love for bread. And the whole series pretty much (In present) that guy was trying to destroy him. That was a huge shock.

I remember being shocked when Hughes died, in FMA. I was mad too because he was my favorite.

I think that's all I have.

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I like Ouran High School Host Club, but I don't remember it being all that dramatic in the second half, although it looked like Tamaki may be forced into an unwanted marriage. But I knew he and Haruhi would end up together, although not physically in the anime. But you know where they were going. I understand in the manga they get there.

4. Likes Takatofan1986 liked this post
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Gifts Kill Bill Katana Compass
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-25-2019 07:34 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

What happened to Kamina in Gurren lagann completely caught me off guard. The way they built up his character and background and how prominent he was both in the opening and first few episodes had convinced me he was the deuteragonist of the story...

Although, he could still be considered that if you think about it.
    迷いだということまで私達は自分達を見つけり始まれない

ヘンリーデイヴィッドソロー

6. Likes Takatofan1986 liked this post
    Senior Member Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Mario Ice Flower Gabumon 007 - Squirtle
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-01-2024 10:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Takatofan1986

Yeah I didn't think about that, I was shocked at Kamina's death too.

8. Likes Lost247365 liked this post
    The Black Swordsman Kirito has a reputation beyond repute Kirito has a reputation beyond repute Kirito has a reputation beyond repute Kirito has a reputation beyond repute Kirito has a reputation beyond repute Kirito has a reputation beyond repute Kirito has a reputation beyond repute Kirito has a reputation beyond repute Kirito has a reputation beyond repute Kirito has a reputation beyond repute Kirito has a reputation beyond repute Kirito's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Soras Keyblade Mario ZStar Autobots
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-26-2019 02:22 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Thrain Steam ID: Discade

To this day probably Akame Ga Kill. They completely trick the audience into believing one character was the MC, and then

kill him off towards the end of the season
    "Kill a man, one is a murderer. Kill a million, a conqueror. Kill them all, a god."

Xbox Live: Thrain
    MyAnimeList: iRhya

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
    To this day probably Akame Ga Kill. They completely trick the audience into believing one character was the MC, and then. . . .
    Not naming the series after who we think is the main character should give us a clue.

The Black Swordsman Kirito has a reputation beyond repute Kirito has a reputation beyond repute Kirito has a reputation beyond repute Kirito has a reputation beyond repute Kirito has a reputation beyond repute Kirito has a reputation beyond repute Kirito has a reputation beyond repute Kirito has a reputation beyond repute Kirito has a reputation beyond repute Kirito has a reputation beyond repute Kirito has a reputation beyond repute Kirito's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Soras Keyblade Mario ZStar Autobots
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-26-2019 02:22 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Thrain Steam ID: Discade

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    Not naming the series after who we think is the main character should give us a clue.
    Yeah except they had every episode up until like the last two revolve around another character's journey + life.
    "Kill a man, one is a murderer. Kill a million, a conqueror. Kill them all, a god."

Xbox Live: Thrain
    MyAnimeList: iRhya

🐮🔪 "I'll see it when I believe it" 🐮🔪 ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Cookie Cookie Hedgehog
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-16-2023 02:57 PM
    The corner of Everywhere and Nowhere, ya dig?
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: TwilightWolf2508 Steam ID: zombiewolf2508

Zombieland Saga. It's an ongoing about Zombies trying to become Idols. The show is pretty much a parody and makes fun of a lot of tropes and is absolutely hilarious, so I didn't expect a couple of episodes to actually be very deep and well written, filled with feels.

My mood on a daily basis

13. Likes Lost247365 liked this post
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieWolf2508 View Post
    Zombieland Saga. It's an ongoing about Zombies trying to become Idols. The show is pretty much a parody and makes fun of a lot of tropes and is absolutely hilarious, so I didn't expect a couple of episodes to actually be very deep and well written, filled with feels.
    I think you or someone else wrote about that series earlier under musical anime?

🐮🔪 "I'll see it when I believe it" 🐮🔪 ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Cookie Cookie Hedgehog
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-16-2023 02:57 PM
    The corner of Everywhere and Nowhere, ya dig?
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: TwilightWolf2508 Steam ID: zombiewolf2508

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    I think you or someone else wrote about that series earlier under musical anime?
    Probably someone else, I can't recall posting in that thread.

My mood on a daily basis

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information