AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another Colony ["That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime" Ending theme]

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Gifts Kill Bill Katana Compass
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-25-2019 07:34 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Another Colony ["That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime" Ending theme]

Anime: "Tensei Shitara Suraimu Datta Ken"/ "That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime"

Song: Another Colony
    Singer/Band: True
    Lyrics: 唐沢美帆 / Miho Karasawa
    Composition: 中野領太/ Riyouta Nakano
    Arrangement: BBC

Kanji lyrics source: https://www.lyrical-nonsense.com/lyr...nother-colony/

どうして 希望を持つひとだけ
    心に 絶望を知るのだろう

doushite kibou o motsu hito dake
    kokoro ni zetsubou o shiru no darou

Why do you suppose that, in their hearts, only
    the people who have hope know despair?

どうして 勇気を持つひとだけ
    名誉の果てに 傷を負うのだろう

doushite yuuki o motsu hito dake
    meiyo no hate ni kizu o ou no darou

Why do you suppose that, at honor's end, only the people
    who have courage bear disgrace?
    Okay, upon reviewing these lyrics repeatedly, I can't help but feel that the noun ひとだけ has an implied は. However, if not then my translations here are way off and the first stanza should probably be

"Why are there only people who have hope? In their hearts, they probably know despair."

and

"Why are there only people who have courage? In the end of honor, they probably bear disgrace."

This doesn't make sense to me as not every one has courage or hope. Maybe if the だけ particle followed 希望 and 勇気 or 持つ I could translated it as "why are there people who only have courage" or "why are there people who have only courage." Either of those makes sense. Following ひと however, I can't help but think they are the topics. I ultimately translated it that way.

I also wasn't quite sure which translation of 傷 to use. It can mean injury, scares, emotional distress, weakness, or dishonor/disgrace. Most of the time I have encountered the word it usually means an injury. However, since it mentions the end of honor, I decided to translate it as disgrace this time.

悲しい出来事に 目を伏せたくなくて
    新しい夜明けを 夢と名付けてみせた
    ねじれた 夜の隙間に 光がおちる
    空が泣いているよ

kanashii dekigoto ni me o fusetakunakute
    atarashii yoake o yume to nadzuketemiseta
    nejireta yoru no sukima ni hikari ga ochiru
    sora ga naiteiru yo

I didn't want to be to cast my eyes down from the sad incident
    and then try to christen the new dawn with a dream.

Not wanting to cast my eyes down because of the sad incident
    I try to christen the new dawn with a dream

Light falls down from the twisted night's gap
    Oh, the sky is crying!
    I wasn't sure if 伏せる was the potential of 伏す or just one of those cases where the transitive verb is identical to the potential of the intransitive. I was taught not to use を with potential verbs so in the end I decided to treat it as just a transitive verb.

世界の果て なんて 知らないけれど
    この手が届く場所は 守りたくて
    戦う理由 ひとつ 睨みつけた
    許しあうことの 答えになる 僕らは
    負けちゃいけない

sekai no hate nan'te shiranai keredo
    kono te ga todoku basho wa mamoritakute
    tatakau riyuu hitotsu niramitsuketa
    yurushiau koto no kotae ni naru bokura wa
    makecha ikenai

I do not know something like the end of the world,
    but I wanted to protect this place my hand can reach
    and then I scowled one time at the reason to go to war.
    We, who have come to the answer of forgiving each other,
    Can not lose

I don't know about the ends of the world or anything like that;
    wanting to protect this place my hand can reach
    I scowled at one reason to go to war.
    We Can Not Lose
    because we have come to the answer of forgiving each other

たとえば 言葉が違くてもいい
    生まれたところが 違くたっていい

tatoeba kotoba ga chigakutemo ii
    umareta tokoro ga chigakutatte ii

For example, it would be fine if the words were different
    It would be fine even if your birthplace were different

知らないことを知ろうと 触れあう瞬間
    開け放つ窓から 未来の匂いがした
    ほどけた手のひらに 重なる人の影
    愛つのる やさしい世界

shiranai koto o shirou to fureau shunkan
    akehanatsu mado kara mirai no nioi ga shita
    hodoketa tenohira ni kasanaru hito no kage
    ai tsunoru yasashii sekai

If we were to learn what we don't know then it has to be the moment we touch each other.
    From that window, that was left open, the future glows.
    Inside the unfolding palm of your hand are shadows of people, lying on top of each other
    It is a gentle world that recruits love

In the moment where we touch each other,
    wanting to know what we didn't know,
    the smell of the future wafted in through the open window.
    Inside the unfolding palm of your hand are shadows of people lying on top of each other
    it is a gentle world where love grows

綺麗なもの なんて 要らないけれど
    汚れてしまう程に 胸が痛いよ
    命の定義 ひとつ 刻みつけた
    孤独な正義を 振りかざす 奴らなんかに
    負けちゃいけない

kirei na mono nan'te iranai keredo
    yogoreteshimau hodo ni mune ga itai yo
    inochi no teigi hitotsu kizamitsuketa
    kodoku na seigi o furikazasu yatsura nan'ka ni
    makecha ikenai

I don't need some pretty thing, but
    in this degree of corruption my chest hurts!
    My chest hurts so much that my heart might become stained
    In life's definition there is one thing inscribed
    to something like those jerks proclaiming the justice of loneliness
    we can not lose

We can not lose
    to people like those jerks proclaiming the justice of loneliness!
    Wasn't really sure the best way to translate 奴ら here. I decided to go with jerks. I believe that is how they translated the word in the manga "Urusei Yatsura."

そんな風に僕は
    何度も言い聞かしていくんだ
    二度と戻れない過去が 遠くで叫ぶよ
    「ほら 死ぬより怖いことがさ、あるだろう?」

son'na fuu ni boku wa
    nan'do mo iikikashite iku n'da
    nido to modorenai kako ga tooku de sakebu yo
    "hora shinu yori kowai koto ga sa, aru darou?"

Just like that,
    We tell them several times.
    From a distance, a past that will never be restored screams,
    "Look, there are things to fear other than death right?"
    Look, there are things to fear more than death right?

敗北も勝利も 大嫌いなんだ

haiboku mo shouri mo daikirai nan'da

Failure or Victory, I hate it.

世界の果て なんて 知らないけれど
    この手が届く場所は 守りたくて
    戦う理由 ひとつ 睨みつけた
    許しあうことの 答えになる 僕らは
    負けちゃいけない

sekai no hate nan'te shiranai keredo
    kono te ga todoku basho wa mamoritakute
    tatakau riyuu hitotsu niramitsuketa
    yurushiau koto no kotae ni naru bokura wa
    makecha ikenai

but I wanted to protect this place my hand can reach
    and then I scowled one time at the reasons to go to war.
    Can not lose

We Can Not Lose
    because we have come to the answer of forgiving each other
    And that is my translation. Any Comments, critiques, or suggestions?

EDIT: CORRECTION IN TEAL
    Last edited by Lost247365; 12-03-2018 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Changed video to one that doesn't have their own translation
    迷いだということまで私達は自分達を見つけり始まれない

ヘンリーデイヴィッドソロー

AnimeLyrics Admin
    EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-25-2020 10:24 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: xenographer Steam ID: xen0glossy

Default Re: Another Colony ["That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime" Ending theme]

Again, I wouldn't use Lyrical Nonsense as a source, although in this case the lyrics look the same as https://www.uta-net.com/song/258409/, so that's okay.

Okay, upon reviewing these lyrics repeatedly, I can't help but feel that the noun ひとだけ has an implied は.
    Yes, I think you're right about that.

I didn't want to be to cast my eyes down from the sad incident
    and then try to christen the new dawn with a dream.
    Okay, the way you're phrasing it now, it's saying "I didn't want to try to christen the new dawn with a dream," which isn't correct and I'm not sure it's what you mean in any case. Maybe "Not wanting to cast my eyes down because of the sad incident / I try to christen the new dawn with a dream"? ("From" also doesn't work in this context, although I'm not sure I could tell you why.)

I'm not sure if this is due to not picking up the connotations of the Japanese phrase or the English one, but "世界の果て" refers to a very far-away place, as contrasted with この手が届く場所 in the next line, whereas "end of the world" refers to a very far-away time (or it's also used to talk about events that literally bring about an end to the planet or the human race, and in the sense of "a big deal," as in "it's not the end of the world"). An English phrase roughly equivalent to "世界の果て" is "ends of the earth." "I don't know about something like..." is also pretty unnatural/awkward-sounding. At the very least I'd replace "something" with "anything", and I'd personally move it to the end of the line as "... or anything like that."

この手が届く場所は 守りたくて
    戦う理由 ひとつ 睨みつけた
    Here again you translate the connective -て form as "X and then Y," which is certainly a way that it can be used, but that doesn't really make sense here. I would again phrase this as "Wanting to protect... / I scowled...". Also, "once" would be something like "一度"; ひとつ is more one thing, in this case, one 戦う理由.

知らないことを知ろうと 触れあう瞬間
    開け放つ窓から 未来の匂いがした
    匂い means "smell"/"scent". Also, I may be wrong here, but I interpret "知らないことを知ろうと" as ending in an omitted する, and then that phrase plus 触れあう modify 瞬間, and 瞬間 as the 瞬間 in which 開け放つ窓から 未来の匂いがした happened. "In the moment where we touched each other, wanting to learn what we didn't know, the smell of the future wafted in through the open window," or something like that.

愛つのる やさしい世界
    Again, I know つのる has multiple meanings, but here I think it's most likely to mean "grows stronger."

汚れてしまう程に 胸が痛いよ
    So, "[X する] 程に [Yする]" in my opinion is almost never worth translating literally as "to the extent" or whatever, it's just awkward and even confusing in most contexts. In addition, it's roughly "I/it did [Y] so much that [X] happened," and you have this relationship backwards here. Here's a thread in which someone asks for good English translations of this construction--there are only two example sentences being translated, but you can see how several different people handled it. Meanwhile, here's a broader selection of Japanese sentences/phrases with only one English translation each, though they're not all of the construction in question--just look for any "[verb] 程に [other verb]" examples and ignore the rest.

to something like those jerks proclaiming the justice of loneliness
    I think "those jerks" works in this context! However, referring to people as "something" is weird in English, although in this context where we're talking about a group of people, "someone" is also weird--I would say "to people like those jerks...". I would also flip the order of this and the next line just for better flow, unless you feel very strongly about the English translations of these lines and of "許しあうことの 答えになる 僕らは 負けちゃいけない" matching closely (since the latter is constructed differently and therefore you can't reverse it in English).

「ほら 死ぬより怖いことがさ、あるだろう?」
    "より" in this case means "more than," not "other than."

3. Thanks Lost247365 thanked for this post
    Likes Lost247365 liked this post
    Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Re: Another Colony ["That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime" Ending theme]

Sorry for not replying yesterday, but I just didn't have the time to give your comments the reply they deserve (and it might take me a bit to get to the other threads).

Quote Originally Posted by bluepenguin View Post
    Again, I wouldn't use Lyrical Nonsense as a source, although in this case the lyrics look the same as https://www.uta-net.com/song/258409/, so that's okay.
    Sorry I didn't know at the time. I won't use them again!

Okay, the way you're phrasing it now, it's saying "I didn't want to try to christen the new dawn with a dream," which isn't correct and I'm not sure it's what you mean in any case. Maybe "Not wanting to cast my eyes down because of the sad incident / I try to christen the new dawn with a dream"? ("From" also doesn't work in this context, although I'm not sure I could tell you why.)
    I am going to guess that it is partly because in japanese "from" is usually から. My thinking was "eye" is the Direct Object and "not want to lower" was the verb so "sad event" was what the singer was looking at. I will make the change right away.

I'm not sure if this is due to not picking up the connotations of the Japanese phrase or the English one, but "世界の果て" refers to a very far-away place, as contrasted with この手が届く場所 in the next line, whereas "end of the world" refers to a very far-away time (or it's also used to talk about events that literally bring about an end to the planet or the human race, and in the sense of "a big deal," as in "it's not the end of the world"). An English phrase roughly equivalent to "世界の果て" is "ends of the earth." "I don't know about something like..." is also pretty unnatural/awkward-sounding. At the very least I'd replace "something" with "anything", and I'd personally move it to the end of the line as "... or anything like that."

[SNIP]

Here again you translate the connective -て form as "X and then Y," which is certainly a way that it can be used, but that doesn't really make sense here. I would again phrase this as "Wanting to protect... / I scowled...". Also, "once" would be something like "一度"; ひとつ is more one thing, in this case, one 戦う理由.
    Ah I see! Honestly, I was thinking she was referring to an oncoming apocalypse and saying she didn't know about something that serious; rather she just wanted to protect her own trivial life and issues.

So rewording it:

"I don't know about the ends of the world or anything like that;
    wanting to protect this place my hand can reach
    I scowled at one reason to go to war.
    can not lose"

匂い means "smell"/"scent". Also, I may be wrong here, but I interpret "知らないことを知ろうと" as ending in an omitted する, and then that phrase plus 触れあう modify 瞬間, and 瞬間 as the 瞬間 in which 開け放つ窓から 未来の匂いがした happened. "In the moment where we touched each other, wanting to learn what we didn't know, the smell of the future wafted in through the open window," or something like that.
    That makes way more sense than what I was thinking. I was thinking it as the conditional と and that is why I phrased it "It has to be."

As for 匂い I interpreted it as glow thinking that since 匂う can mean to smell/glow that the gerund form would also be smell/glow. I should have double checked. Thanks again for spotting my bad assumptions!

Again, I know つのる has multiple meanings, but here I think it's most likely to mean "grows stronger."
    That makes more sense. I will make that change right away.

So, "[X する] 程に [Yする]" in my opinion is almost never worth translating literally as "to the extent" or whatever, it's just awkward and even confusing in most contexts. In addition, it's roughly "I/it did [Y] so much that [X] happened," and you have this relationship backwards here. Here's a thread in which someone asks for good English translations of this construction--there are only two example sentences being translated, but you can see how several different people handled it. Meanwhile, here's a broader selection of Japanese sentences/phrases with only one English translation each, though they're not all of the construction in question--just look for any "[verb] 程に [other verb]" examples and ignore the rest.
    Ah I think I get it. The phase is acting more as a modifier for the verb. Thank you for the links. I definitely need to study up on this phrase pattern.

So in this case,

"My chest hurts so much that it might become stained"

Though, I think it might sound better in English if I translated it as

"My chest hurts so much that my heart might become stained."

I think "those jerks" works in this context! However, referring to people as "something" is weird in English, although in this context where we're talking about a group of people, "someone" is also weird--I would say "to people like those jerks...". I would also flip the order of this and the next line just for better flow, unless you feel very strongly about the English translations of these lines and of "許しあうことの 答えになる 僕らは 負けちゃいけない" matching closely (since the latter is constructed differently and therefore you can't reverse it in English).
    I don't think I am at the point I can feel strongly about any of my translations yet. So i am all too willing to revise anything. Maybe, I should invert the other sentence as well:

「孤独な正義を 振りかざす 奴らなんかに
    負けちゃいけない」

"We Can Not Lose
    to people like those jerks proclaiming the the justice of loneliness!"

and then,

「許しあうことの 答えになる 僕らは
    負けちゃいけない」

"We Can Not Lose
    because have come to the answer of forgiving each other."

That way we can keep the general parallelism.

"より" in this case means "more than," not "other than."
    Ah I see. Will make that change too!

And I know you are busy, so thank you very much for looking over my translation Senpai. I appreciate it
    Last edited by Lost247365; 11-28-2018 at 09:06 PM.

ヘンリーデイヴィッドソロー

AnimeLyrics Admin
    EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Though, I think it might sound better in English if I translated it as

"My chest hurts so much that my heart might become stained."
    Yeah, I'd say that's a reasonable liberty to take.

I don't think I am at the point I can feel strongly about any of my translations yet. So i am all too willing to revise anything. Maybe, I should invert the other sentence as well:

「孤独な正義を 振りかざす 奴らなんかに
    負けちゃいけない」

"We Can Not Lose
    to people like those jerks proclaiming the the justice of loneliness!"

and then,

「許しあうことの 答えになる 僕らは
    負けちゃいけない」

"We Can Not Lose
    because have come to the answer of forgiving each other."

That way we can keep the general parallelism.
    Oh hey, good idea! That hadn't occurred to me as a way to word it, but it solves the problem very nicely. (Though I think you accidentally left out a "we" in the second line.)

6. Thanks Lost247365 thanked for this post
    Gil
    Where
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

You are right, that should be "because we have come to the...." Fix'd

My intention is to wait until 4 weeks/a month has passed for input on my songs. Then, unless I get a you or another admin/mod telling me it is okay before then, to submit it.

Soooo, that said, do you think it is okay to submit this song now? Or wait for more input?

ヘンリーデイヴィッドソロー

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Sorry for the late response--I was very sick for a while, it was no fun--but I think you're good to go.

9. Thanks Lost247365 thanked for this post
    Gil
    Where
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Hey, no problem at all! Take all the time you need!

Honestly, I have been rather busy myself, and I am just happy getting any input at all!

ヘンリーデイヴィッドソロー

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information