AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Great anime, but you won't recommend to a newcomer

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-22-2024 09:27 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Lightbulb Great anime, but you won't recommend to a newcomer

This one is a twist. What anime series or movie would you NOT recommend to a newcomer? For the purposes of this thread, a newcomer is someone who has never seen an anime, or who has only seen one or two.

And I am not talking about some piece of crap anime either! I want you to list a good anime or two. One you really, really like. Maybe it is even a classic. But for whatever reason, you would never recommend it to a newcomer.

And please let us know why you would not recommend it.

I have two choices:

Elfin Lied. Yes, this is a classic. I did enjoy it, though enjoy may not be the correct word. It mixes comedy and darkness very well. But let's face it. The series is extremely bloody, even depicting violence by and against children. And the nudity is very detailed. The depiction of child sexual abuse hides little. I would be afraid a newbie would get the wrong idea about anime in general and be scared off. Best they leave this one to after they become hooked on anime.

Boogiepop Phantom. Let's face it again. This series, where the story is told out of chronological sequence, is hard for anyone to follow. It is one of my favorite anime series, but again the confusion from the first watching (you need at least a half-dozen viewings), may scare the newcomer away, especially if they are into light entertainment and not that which would make them think. Not that there is anything wrong with light entertainment or not thinking. Its just if you are trying to relax your brain cells after a hard day, this is not the anime to watch.

Your choice?

Senior Member La Féline is just really nice La Féline is just really nice La Féline is just really nice La Féline is just really nice La Féline is just really nice La Féline's Avatar
    Gil
    Devilish
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-12-2017 08:14 PM
    Threads

Default Re: Great anime, but you won't recommend to a newcomer

I cant really add to your topic, but i gotta say... Boy, were you right about Elfin Lied. Like, i guess its good they dont tone it down, but it was way too much for me, even if i was looking for weird shows.

Member ritatata is on a distinguished road ritatata's Avatar
    Gil
    Bashful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-03-2016 08:31 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It depends on the 'profile' of the newcomer, some people might disregard otaku contents in anime like mecha, ecchi, jokes, etc, so I probably wouldn't recommend for example Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, panty & stocking (also elfen lied is indeed a good example).

However, it's actually difficult to answer for me though. I always watched anime so I was quickly used to the components which might be weird for external people. From experience, I can tell sports anime like Kuroko no Basket are a good suggestion for those who are around my ages (~20). If they are serious about discover the "world" of anime, I might suggest them all the classic from all genre, really, though.

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Actually, Kill la Kill would make a good introductory anime -- provided you let the newbie know ahead of time it is a spoof not to be taken seriously.

Senior Member Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-26-2022 02:21 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

NGE. Oh come on, don't tell me you didn't expect this one. I'm sure the anime (to those who have seen it) is self-explanatory. I feel like it's something that you shouldn't even think too much about. I'm sure your head will hurt after a while.

I can also vouch for Elfen Lied; my friend tried to get me into it. It took a while for me to get used to everything. I still shudder every time I see the first episode.

And then there is Hellsling. I mean unless the newcomer is okay with rivers of blood and gore, then alrighty then.
    Last edited by Yan Chan; 11-02-2016 at 04:38 PM.

RWBY

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I wouldn't recommend NGE for anyone. I hated every character.

If you mean Hellsing Ultimate, I agree. The original Hellsing was a little easier to take.

Member ritatata is on a distinguished road ritatata's Avatar
    Gil
    Bashful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-03-2016 08:31 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    Actually, Kill la Kill would make a good introductory anime -- provided you let the newbie know ahead of time it is a spoof not to be taken seriously.
    You're probably right. I thought about Kill la Kill because some people who are not familiar with anime have sometimes the misconception (because of TV, or other stereotypes) that anime are dumb because they all are childish cartoons with a lot of sexual contents and violence. therefore if you don't really know anime in general or kill la kill you might misunderstood its meaning/purpose. So basically Kill la Kill depending on the person you're dealing with, can be a good suggestion, but sometimes you should also suggest another anime which doesn't corroborate the stereotypes he already has. Well at least in my opinion of course.

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

How does Elfen Lied make anyone shudder? Its not even that bad content wise. I mean, it has gore and nudity but so do horror movies. Elfen Lied is overhyped with how "bizarre" its material is because there are tons and tons of things more graphic than that show.

OT: Since a lot of people are scared of nudity or "taboo" themes I'd likely say Yosuga no Sora. Animated incest sex may be to much for folks to handle. *shrugs*
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

Senior Member La Féline is just really nice La Féline is just really nice La Féline is just really nice La Féline is just really nice La Féline is just really nice La Féline's Avatar
    Gil
    Devilish
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-12-2017 08:14 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Anime Forum View Post
    How does Elfen Lied make anyone shudder? Its not even that bad content wise. I mean, it has gore and nudity but so do horror movies. Elfen Lied is overhyped with how "bizarre" its material is because there are tons and tons of things more graphic than that show.

OT: Since a lot of people are scared of nudity or "taboo" themes I'd likely say Yosuga no Sora. Animated incest sex may be to much for folks to handle. *shrugs*
    I see what you mean, and given more knowledge of general content of anime and mangas, it is true. Although, speaking for myself at least, it is quite a jump into the subject matter. I dont feel as if (western) horror movies delve as deep. They throw gore and nudity, but they seem to pussy out alot. Few are actually R rated.
    Also, isnt kind of a fallacy to say that a newcomer shouldnt be bothered since theres alot worse available?

I will admit though the irony of being put off by that show while being perfectly able to browse things like r/watchpeopledie. "Urgh, i cant watch an animu child be cut in half! This is so wrong! Better put something to cleanse my mind". *puts on liveleak of kid run over by car*

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by La Féline View Post
    I see what you mean, and given more knowledge of general content of anime and mangas, it is true. Although, speaking for myself at least, it is quite a jump into the subject matter. I dont feel as if (western) horror movies delve as deep. They throw gore and nudity, but they seem to pussy out alot. Few are actually R rated.
    Also, isnt kind of a fallacy to say that a newcomer shouldnt be bothered since theres alot worse available?

I will admit though the irony of being put off by that show while being perfectly able to browse things like r/watchpeopledie. "Urgh, i cant watch an animu child be cut in half! This is so wrong! Better put something to cleanse my mind". *puts on liveleak of kid run over by car*
    Have you ever watched a "D" tier horror movie? I'd say most of those are heaps more graphic than Elfen Lied. I can grasp some people can't take gore very well because its natural to find it gross, but Elfen Lied really wasn't that bad. It had gore and flying limbs, but it never went further than that. One scene that was lightly - moderatly disturbing was the entire dog scene due to the graphic scene that we witnessed, but the rest underwhelmed.

Also, I'm more saying people tend to overhype Elfen Lied's material. I can't see how it'd make anybody "shudder", but I guess people are different :s. All in all, anime can be seen as weird, but I tend to think a lot of American fans enlarge how weird it actually is. The nudity isn't really that weird since sexualization exist in every medium and the such. The gore as well.

The taboos I guess I can understand, but the incest is just two animated characters having sex that are only related because the creator said so.
    Last edited by Anime Forum; 11-02-2016 at 09:15 PM.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information