AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Under the radar" animes

Junior Member MyDistance is on a distinguished road MyDistance's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-31-2016 10:27 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default "Under the radar" animes

Hey guys. New here, and hopefully this will be the start to me becoming an active member on this forum, as an old forum I used to reside in has completely died off. just wanted to bring more attention to a few animes in which I think have gone under the radar. Or rather, have not had as much attention as they deserved when they first aired.

The first anime, is Dennou Coil. What initially captivated me into watching this anime was the visuals. In my opinion, it is almost reminiscent of Miyazaki's works. As I watched it, I am somehow reminded of "My Neighbor Totoro" as well...maybe because of the creatures and interactions, or how magical it can feel at times. The story itself is also done well and keeps you wanting to watch more and more until the satisfying conclusion. I believe that this is an incredibly crafted anime, and I do hope more people watch it.

The second anime, is Michiko to Hatchin. I had always liked watching two individuals, very different in age, traveling together and seeing how their bond develops through not only hardship, but pleasant times as well. This one is very much so a character focused story, rather than a more focused plot as presented is most other animes. The visuals are also quite impressive to say the least. The ending though, is one of my favorites I had ever experienced. Such an important life lesson that most other animes will never present. I hope that more people are able to see this one as well.

I am still looking for more hidden gems in the anime world. If you know one, please recommend it to me. I would love to watch it. Thanks :)
    Last edited by MyDistance; 08-24-2016 at 10:44 PM.

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    Threads

Default Re: "Under the radar" animes

I really liked Michiko and Hatchin. It aired not too long ago on Adult Swim/Toonami.

Other's which are under the radar:

Aldnoah.Zero. This space adventure is a more recent anime. It is a bit like Mobile Suit Gundum: Iron Blooded Orphans, only better. Check my review elsewhere on this site.

Ajin: Demi-Human is another fairly recent anime, which I also reviewed here. It is about a group of immortals facing persecution. It is extremely dark, if you like dark.

How about some dumb, but fun anime?

Mouse. A mousy assistant art teacher by day is an unstoppable master thief by night.

Cromartie High School. A good boy is accidentally sent to a school of juvenile delinquents. Eventually he becomes the top gang boss in the city thanks to his knowledge of yogurt, overcoming rivals such as a robot, a gorilla and Freddie Mercury.

Kill Me Baby. The adventures of two grammar school girls. One is stupid and the other is an assassin.

Maybe more latter. It depends on what you consider under the radar.

3. Thanks MyDistance thanked for this post
    Likes MyDistance liked this post
    Moderator Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Moon Crescent Wand Wine Kangaroo
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 04:32 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I think Terror in Resonance didn't get enough appreciation....

5. Thanks MyDistance thanked for this post
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    I really liked Michiko and Hatchin. It aired not too long ago on Adult Swim/Toonami.

Other's which are under the radar:

Aldnoah.Zero. This space adventure is a more recent anime. It is a bit like Mobile Suit Gundum: Iron Blooded Orphans, only better. Check my review elsewhere on this site.

Ajin: Demi-Human is another fairly recent anime, which I also reviewed here. It is about a group of immortals facing persecution. It is extremely dark, if you like dark.

How about some dumb, but fun anime?

Mouse. A mousy assistant art teacher by day is an unstoppable master thief by night.

Cromartie High School. A good boy is accidentally sent to a school of juvenile delinquents. Eventually he becomes the top gang boss in the city thanks to his knowledge of yogurt, overcoming rivals such as a robot, a gorilla and Freddie Mercury.

Kill Me Baby. The adventures of two grammar school girls. One is stupid and the other is an assassin.

Maybe more latter. It depends on what you consider under the radar.
    I have seen so much praise for Aldanoah. Zero, but I have yet to watch it mainly because I have watched so many mech animes in my days and I feel the need for some sort of break of the genre. Though now with some time passing, and how many requests I have had to watch this anime, I will give it a go now. Very excited to see whats the hype about.

Aijin is an interesting one for me. Any 3d mixed with 2d backgrounds was always sort of difficult for me to watch. Its a little distracting for me. I can appreciated dated art styles, so watching very old animes isn't a problem for me, I can watch more oddly drawn animes like House of Five Leaves. But for some reason, 3d has always bothered me.

I will also give Mouse and Cromartie High School a go. Their plot seems interesting so why not. And Kill Me Baby was very enjoyable to watch. Thanks for the recommendations!

And yea, how I see "under the radar", is animes that you thought were very good, but didn't receive nearly enough attention as it deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasanime View Post
    I think Terror in Resonance didn't get enough appreciation....
    I agree. A very exceptional anime to say the least. I was desperately anticipating every single episode eagerly wanting to see the fate of our "protagonists", and the result of their actions. A very satisfying conclusion too. I definitely think more people should see it as well. A very intelligent anime that respects the audience. Thanks for the recommendation
    Last edited by MyDistance; 08-25-2016 at 03:51 PM.

7. Likes Jasanime liked this post
    Moderator Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Moon Crescent Wand Wine Kangaroo
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 04:32 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

@MyDistance I'm actually watching TIR for the second time right now. So good.
    Another one that doesn't get enough attention is the Garden of Words. It's probably the most beautiful anime I've seen. And maybe 'School Live!' and 'Non-non Biyori'. I enjoyed those 2 way more than I expected to. But no-one ever seems to talk about them...

9. Thanks MyDistance thanked for this post
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Jasanime View Post
    @MyDistance I'm actually watching TIR for the second time right now. So good.
    Another one that doesn't get enough attention is the Garden of Words. It's probably the most beautiful anime I've seen. And maybe 'School Live!' and 'Non-non Biyori'. I enjoyed those 2 way more than I expected to. But no-one ever seems to talk about them...
    Non Non Biyori to me, was the reassurance that the Slice of Life genre was still going strong. I can't believe how much this anime made me not only smile, but almost cry at some moments. I will always hold this one closely. As for Garden of Words and School Live!, I will most definitely give them a try. I've heard a lot of great things from them. Thanks again!

11. Likes Jasanime liked this post
    Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by MyDistance View Post
    And yea, how I see "under the radar", is animes that you thought were very good, but didn't receive nearly enough attention as it deserved.
    That's kind of broad. Casshern Sins got a lot of attention, but not the attention it deserved. A lot of people did not appreciate a "thinking man's" action anime. I liked it though.

Lunar Legend Tsukihime is a vampire anime which tends to be overlooked when talking about vampire anime.

13. Thanks MyDistance thanked for this post
    Senior Member Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan has much to be proud of Yan Chan's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-26-2022 02:21 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

You could try Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. I think I've seen it pop up on Tumblr, and I decided to give it a try. Very sad anime - it made me cry A LOT. It's about a sister and her younger brother trying to make their way back home after a devastating earthquake hit Tokyo. 11 episodes long, it doesn't take too long to finish.

I don't think this anime has received much attention, at least not to my knowledge anyway. It did come out in 2009...

RWBY

15. Thanks MyDistance thanked for this post
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    That's kind of broad. Casshern Sins got a lot of attention, but not the attention it deserved. A lot of people did not appreciate a "thinking man's" action anime. I liked it though.

Lunar Legend Tsukihime is a vampire anime which tends to be overlooked when talking about vampire anime.
    I guess it is kind of broad hehe. Not sure how else to word it to how I would like it unfortunately. I thought Casshern Sins was fantastic as well. A breath of fresh air from the action genre we are familiar to. I feel like a lot of the discontent stemmed from people going into the anime with a certain expectation, rather than an open mind.

Also, I will check out Lunar Legend Tsukihime this weekend. Gonna try to marathon as much of my recommendations as possible. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Yan Chan View Post
    You could try Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. I think I've seen it pop up on Tumblr, and I decided to give it a try. Very sad anime - it made me cry A LOT. It's about a sister and her younger brother trying to make their way back home after a devastating earthquake hit Tokyo. 11 episodes long, it doesn't take too long to finish.

I don't think this anime has received much attention, at least not to my knowledge anyway. It did come out in 2009...
    Just read your post checked out MAL. Can't believe this one slipped passed me. Much thanks for this recommendation! Will try to watch it this weekend
    Last edited by MyDistance; 08-26-2016 at 10:38 AM.

17. Likes Yan Chan liked this post
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by MyDistance View Post
    Also, I will check out Lunar Legend Tsukihime this weekend. Gonna try to marathon as much of my recommendations as possible. Thanks again!
    Get back to us about it and let us hear what you think. Maybe start a separate thread. It's been a while since I have seen it. Maybe I should put it back on my Netflix list.

19. Likes MyDistance liked this post
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I just came across this video on YouTube you might be interested in:

It is Misty Chronexia's list of Top 10 Obscure Anime. Some of these I have seen.

Venus vs. Virus was OK, but as Misty says, it is not necessarily memorable.

Texhnolyzel is one I gave up on after four episodes and no plot.

But I do recommend Speed Grapher and Ghost Hound. Ergo Proxy is a must see, but I did not know anyone considered it obscure.

21. Thanks MyDistance thanked for this post
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Alright, so let's get right into it. I understand I might be a little bit vague on the details, but this is just so that if others come into this thread looking for an anime to watch, I do not spoil any important details.*

Aldonoah.Zero

Aldonoah.Zero, was a very impressive anime...well so far. I have only finished Season 1. Being a huge mech anime fan, and having watched every single Gundm series, I had very high expectations going into this. In addition to the high praises, I feel this anime had a lot to live up to for me. I am pleased to say that every expectation has exceedingly been met. While this anime follows the traditional "space war" idea, it makes the story its very own. The concept that most appealed to me while watching this anime, was that both our main characters could be considered the protagonists, despite being on opposite sides. Not that this concept has not been done before, but it is definitely refreshing considering how many animes go the normal route. The character development is also on point. We learn more of our protagonists' pasts as the anime goes on, in addition to them being put in unfavorable positions, further allows the reader to grasp the drive pushing them to do what they do. You can't help but root for both. Not much to say about the animation. It is superb. Just what you would expect from A-1 productions.The music is on point. Every situation is matched with a soundtrack that aids to conveying the emotion wanted. The OP is also on point. I never skipped it. The people pulling the strings though, was to me, almost expected. That's not to say it wasn't a twist or anything. Just a prediction drawn upon some other unorthodox animes I had seen. They are very strict on what they want, and can't be pursaded. They trick people that are weak, despite on their side, on doing what they want. Anything to win the war. The ending of Season 1 though, was very unexpected to me. Currently I am itching to watch Season 2 thanks to it. So far, a very good anime that I would recommend to others.

Mouse

Mouse was very unexpected. I don't watch too many ecchi styled comedy animes, so this was rather delightful watch. This is coming from someone who isn't too big on ecchi. A master thief carrying on a 400 year old family tradition at night, while is unsuspectedly a beloved and at times, clumsy teacher during the day time. Not to mention his 3 servants who will basically do almost anything for him. It sounds really odd, but it works perfectly. Like any harem related setting, the girls are diverse in personality. They are attracted to our main character through different situations. In having them at his side, his heists become much more interesting. I like how laid back the anime is. Our characters are never really presented with obstacles that pose too much of a problem to overcome. At its core, this anime is simply relaxing to watch. To be honest, my one gripe with this anime, was that it was about 13mins an episode. I wish they had made it longer, since the interaction between the characters were sometimes intriguing, and it could be used to explore more of certain characters, in addition to more background knowledge. Now, I do believe this anime will not appeal to everyone. While the comedy and plot are very much on point, I believe the ecchi aspect will be a little too played out for some people.

Cromartie High School

This. Anime. Was. Amazing. There is really nothing else that needs to be said, aside from go and watch this right now if you haven't already. An above average student enrolls in a not so above average school. In doing so, his life has changed forever. Delinquent students. A gorilla. A robot. And so many more. He finds himself now in the mix. With that, we have ourselves an incredibly enjoyable comedy anime that never fails to impress throughout its 26 episodes. 11-ish minute episodes though. So sad. While I wonder if it may draw itself out too much if it was longer, I can't help but wish there was more to it. With that said, there is no real plot to this anime. And that isn't a problem at all. This is one of the only animes that benefits from such a thing. I honestly can't say too much on this anime without spoiling some very humurous situations or characters. Just let loose, and watch this anime. You won't regret it.

Garden of Words

The first thing I noticed while watching this anime, was the production level. The anime is nothing short of incredible. It almost seems beyond its time when compared to some animations today. The background. The characters. The rain. Everything is drawn and animated with such precision. I could praise about how this movie looks all day and it would still not do it any justice. Now the story, I found very moving. A 15 year old high school student who skips classes and hopes to become a shoemaker in the future, has a fateful encounter with a 27 year old women who feels lost inside. Upon meeting under the garden on rainy days, the two find a beginning that blooms into a beautiful story of their relationship. I felt their sadness and I felt their happiness. This anime conveys those feelings so well when accompanied with a fantastic soundtrack. I am very happy I had watched something like this and I think more people definitely need to see this.

School Live! (Episode 1 spoilers)

Now, I went into this anime kind of blind. To be quite honest, I was expecting another one of those school club animes. Not that that is bad, since I very much so enjoy those animes and was well prepared to enjoy this one. Enter twist. Definitely did not see that coming. This is a story of The School Living Club, where the members decided to actually live at their school, making the most of their days. Or so it would seem. The real reason this club exists, is because there is a zombie apocalypse, and they cannot leave. This anime has a mix of some comedy moments as well as some dramatic moments. The two styles work well together and help present a sort of idea that no matter how bad things get, we have to try and make the most of it. Though that was only the first twist. The 2nd twist that comes in later on in the anime, is also very unexpected. The characters are very diverse and pleasant to watch. The animation and sound are also spot on. I always felt a little uneasy watching this anime knowing these girls are just trying to live a happy life, but at any moment, anything can happen. I would definitely recommend this anime to others looking for something different.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Hmm, I am not sure how to start this one. Mainly because everything felt so real. A middle school student is discontent with her family situation, and just wishes for everything to just be destroyed. As if the wish came true, a earthquake woth a magnitude of 8.0 strikes the Kanto region. Our main character, encounter a single mother who supposedly saved her younger brother amidst the devastation. The mother offers to help the siblings reunite with their family, as she also searches for hers. Throughout the course of the anime, you could really feel the relationship between the characters develop into a bond as if they were actually family. Everything just felt so real, and that's one thing I want to emphasize about this anime. The fear, the feeling of wanting to see your family again, the feeling of hopelessness, you can really understand the emotions trying to be conveyed. These are just kids, and while there may have been conflict between them and their family in the past, a situation like this makes them look past what seems trivial in comparison. While I couldn't relate to the single mother, I believe her drive and emotions were presented very well too. The anime does an incredible job at keeping you hooked until the end. I honestly couldn't help but wish the best for our characters. Also, Studio Bones. Really, nothing more needs to be said. Definitely watch this anime if you have not already.

Evidently, I am missing Season 2 of Adonoah.Zero and Lunar Legend Tsukihime. If I had time, I would have definitely watched them. Though I will finish them hopefully by this week and post my thoughts on them.

Thanks everyone, for those incredible recommendations. Feel free to post more if you would like

@PictureGuy thanks for more. I have seen Ergo Proxy. Instant classic imo. I loved it. I haven't seen some of those other animes though, I will keep them on my list for sure.
    Last edited by MyDistance; 08-29-2016 at 02:38 PM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Both seasons of Aldnoah.Zero can be seen on Netflix streaming.

But how can you mention Cromartie High School without mentioning Freddie?

24. Likes MyDistance liked this post
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

@PictureGuy You are right. I have failed Him being a "mute" character definitely helped make him that much better. Also his randomness in every scene and how he gets to school. So much to say about him. Golden character for sure.
    Last edited by MyDistance; 08-29-2016 at 07:41 PM.

Member Icenine9 is on a distinguished road Icenine9's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-30-2016 07:30 PM
    Threads

This my not qualify because it seemed to be three movies but I liked Mardock Scramble.

27. Thanks MyDistance thanked for this post
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Icenine9 View Post
    This my not qualify because it seemed to be three movies but I liked Mardock Scramble.
    Never heard of it. Tell us about it.

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Icenine9 View Post
    If it's on MyAnimeList, it qualifies Looks interesting. Will check it out soon. Thanks for the recommendation!

Edit: I have now moved to MyAnimeList. Sorry guys I would have loved to make this forum my new home. Unfotunately, it is suffering from the same fate as my old one. Thank you everyone. The short time was memorable
    Last edited by MyDistance; 09-01-2016 at 11:29 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information