AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Anime Means To You V. 1

Senior Member Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts 007 - Squirtle 258 - Mudkip Gabumon
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 12:40 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default What Anime Means To You V. 1

Anime has been a fascinating genre for many decades and has warmed the hearts of its still huge fan-base. It opens up the door to other worlds and often contains epic action and adventure! I've loved it since the 1990's and I'm to this day open to watching new and exciting anime. With that said, I must ask:

Q: What does anime mean to you?
    My Wi-Fi, it's gone out . . .

Senior Member Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale has a reputation beyond repute Jean Markale's Avatar
    Gil
    Psychadelic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-15-2017 08:13 AM
    Threads

Default Re: What Anime Means To You V. 1

786 In a former life I was a run of the mill xenophile with an aptitude for languages who had just happened to watch Cowboy Bebop, Mushi-shi, Perfect Blue, and a handful of others in the normal course of exploring. I began learning Japanese a few years ago on a lark because of an offhand comment made by my then-wife; and since I always try to surround myself with media in my target language, I began playing more anime as an outgrowth of that activity.
    As my illness progressed I lost almost everything except my blood family and what remains of my once-keen mind. Anime went from something playing in the background to something which could keep me from going mad with boredom at times when I couldn't move well. It's proven to be a useful adjunct to my more concentrated formal study, especially as I find myself increasingly less able to engage in the latter; and it's given me other unexpected but welcome benefits. It's not so much a way for me to live vicariously--although I'm sure there is an element of that as well--but it helps improve my outlook and makes me think that things aren't quite as bad as they seem. It's like my own personal cheering squad when the prospect of exercising or moving enough to get food or meds seems overwhelming. On days when I can't keep the food or meds down, it shows me people overcoming even greater obstacles to come out on top. It's provided me with much-needed laughter. It's been an inspiration and encouragement at times when it seems like none can be had. It provides fodder for my imagination and hope that the future might be better than my present.
    After the comfort provided by my faith and what remains of my family and friends, anime is frankly one of the best allies I've ever had. Without it my quality of life would be seriously impaired. That might sound sad even to a dyed-in-the-wool otaku, but it is what it is. I like to think that I will be well again someday, and anime can then resume a more proper place in the scheme of my existence. But even if that happens, I will always regard it highly and I will always be grateful for everything it has done for me.
    Tl;dr version: a lot.
    My apologies to the OP: considering the thousands of members this forum supposedly has, I'm sure we both hoped that the question would elicit a somewhat more robust response than was the case.
    Last edited by Jean Markale; 05-29-2016 at 11:24 PM.

3. Likes Cielbk liked this post
    Junior Member Scar504 is on a distinguished road Scar504's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2016 03:30 PM
    Threads

Scar504, this is my first post.

Anime was reaching it's golden years in America when I was a kid, so I grew up with it. I remember looking forward to Saturdays more than anything in my life when I was around 9 y/o.

I'd wake up early to watch Kids WB(pokemon, yugioh, etc.). Play all a day. Explore my neighborhood. Pretend I could see spirits like yusuke. Or that I was bad donkey strong like sagara sanosuke. Come in and eat lunch. Watch Jetix (digimon, beyblade, etc) Go back out and play. Come home and eat supper. parents leave for work, home alone. Build with Legos and Connects in my room and play with Mage Knights while Toonami comes on in the background. Dragon ball z, zatch bell, bobobobobobo, mar, etc.

It gets dark outside and I crawl onto the top of my bunk bed. I'm in space now.

Rurouni kenshin, yuyu hakusho, megas xlr, gundam seed come on behind Steven Blum's raspy voice on Toonami. I have the will to fight all the world's injustices and have amazing techniques that can beat anything.

Around 11 pm I descend into the bottom bunk. My tv gets dark and suddenly I'm at the pool. The Adult swim intro plays. This is the after party. ghost in the shell sends shivers down my spine. Inuyasha whisks me away to far away lands. I remember Sesshomaru standing in front of his father's grave and me feeling like I was there with him on a great mountain.

The night turns to morning and my eyelids are heavy. I'm on the border of reality and dreams. The sound on my tv is turned down because I'm not supposed to be up so late. All I can hear are the saxophones in the intro TANK. Or the occasional Lupin the thiiiird. I'm slapping myself to stay awake so I can travel through the desert with Vash. The ending song makes me feel like I'm a lone warrior who's traveled across distant lands and fought for what he believed in.

Somewhere between the smooth familiar voices of steven blum, dave mallow and crispin freeman; the strange messages i could never fully read and Haruko licking her guitar I would fade away into unconsciousness.

My memories of my childhood are tied with the sounds and sights of various Animes. As an adult I still watch Anime in mostly the same way I did when I was a child. Doing that reconnects me with the memories of my past while connecting new emotions and periods of time with that larger stream of memories.

As I get older it becomes less something I care to admit but Anime has significantly affected my life. I love it. Maybe it isn't real, but it's an important part of my past symbolically because of what memories and emotions it connects in my mind.
    Last edited by Scar504; 06-04-2016 at 03:36 PM.

5. Likes Jean Markale liked this post
    Cannibal Countess ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett's Avatar
    Gil
    In Love
    Gifts Purple Ribbon Heart Pocky
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-02-2016 06:26 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChibiLovett Steam ID: ChibiLovett

As I'm sure is the case with a lot of us, my childhood was filled with Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Sailor Moon, and the like. So there's that.

But as I've gotten older, it's become more. I've met a lot of my best friends through our interest in anime. I've had some of the best times of my life at anime cons. Watching anime and reading manga has gotten me through a lot in my life. (In my first two years of high school, I would read 3-5 mangas per day from the library and get some anime in most days as well.) Admittedly I don't watch it as much as I used to and I honestly don't care enough anymore to watch a new series unless it really sounds interesting to me (though, to be fair, I barely watch TV at all anymore, so it's become that way with anything I have to sit down and actually watch). But I will forever love it as an art form and for what my love for it has done for my life. And there will always be those series I'll watch anyways and will forever love.~ <3

Also technically I discovered Mary Elizabeth McGlynn through her voicing Kurenai in Naruto, which has led to a whole laundry list of other positive things (most stemming from discovering her thereby introducing me to Silent Hill), so there's that, too! ^.^ I don't think I can really specify "what anime is", so to speak, but it is definitely a positive and wonderful thing to me overall. Even if I don't show it as much love as I maybe should, I still love it nonetheless.
    She has no shadows, and she radiates beauty.

Slender body, and two eyes like ebony.

Her spirit's golden, and her mind's a mystery.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information