AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: help with TORRENTS

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-25-2023 08:47 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default help with TORRENTS

TORRENTS by Yuzuame, third verse
    胸が痛いよ 張り裂けそうだ
    「ありがとう」も「さよなら」も何も言えなかった
    もっといっしょに遊びたかった
    笑ったり バカしたり 苦しみ合えていたら
    あふれ出てくるこの想いを
    どこにぶつければ どこに吐き出せば良いのか
    I'm having trouble figuring out how 苦しみ合えていたら fits in. Here's my first stab at it:
    I wanted to have fun with you more,
    laughing, fooling around, if we could suffer together.
    These feelings that are overflowing out of me,
    where should I tell them, where should I blurt them out?
    I asked someone else and they suggested that the -tara clause relates to the following line:
    ...I wanted to have fun with you more.
    These feelings that overflow
    when we laugh, when we fool around, when we argue [fight with each other / suffer each other's presence / go through bad experiences together].
    Where can I share them now? Where should I vent to now?
    Problem is, I think he's missed the fact that 合えて is potential, so I don't see how it means "when we share our suffering". It's more like "if we could be sharing our suffering".

Any ideas?

You can hear the song on piapro and see all the lyrics on lenslyrics.

Serine is on a distinguished road Serine's Avatar
    Gil
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2021 05:41 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Re: help with TORRENTS

Your friend has the right idea. Don't overthink the exact words and conjugations, language is rarely that exact. あう is commonly put in the potential あえる just because it sounds nicer and is more humble (compare "I met you" and "I got to meet you").

http://ejje.weblio.jp/sentence/conte...88%E3%81%9F%22

Look at how this Japanese dictionary translates:

あなたに会えた
    I met you

Hinamawari has a reputation beyond repute Hinamawari has a reputation beyond repute Hinamawari has a reputation beyond repute Hinamawari has a reputation beyond repute Hinamawari has a reputation beyond repute Hinamawari has a reputation beyond repute Hinamawari has a reputation beyond repute Hinamawari has a reputation beyond repute Hinamawari has a reputation beyond repute Hinamawari has a reputation beyond repute Hinamawari has a reputation beyond repute Hinamawari's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-28-2015 09:14 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I'm inclined to think that 笑ったり バカしたり 苦しみ合えていたら is an independent sentence, with an "いいのに" implied at the end. Expanded, the last four lines of this verse would become three sentences:

もっといっしょに遊びたかった。(あの時、僕らはもっと)笑ったり バカしたり 苦しみ合えていたら(いい のに)。(今の)あふれ出てくるこの想いをどこにぶつければ、どこに吐き出せば良いのか。

The potential form is appropriate here because it implies an unrealized potentiality, i.e. "If only we could do such-and-such." 合う would work, too, but the implication would be a little different, i.e. "If we had done such-and-such."

"These feelings that overflow when we laugh, when we fool around, when we argue" is incorrect, because たら can only mean "when" when you're making a command/request when a certain condition is fulfilled, for example: 日本に着いたら是非連絡して下さい。

Your original translation is almost correct; you made a mistake in applying the たら only to the last verb--it applies to all three verbs.

Junior Member 鏡花水月 has a spectacular aura about 鏡花水月 has a spectacular aura about 鏡花水月's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-22-2015 10:01 PM
    Threads

Sorry for possibly going OOT.
    Regarding the part on 「苦しみ合えて」, does it mean "to share/divide the suffering" or "to cause each other suffering"?
    From the context, it seems to be the former, but wouldn't that be 「苦しみを分け合えて」 instead?
    Could be due to my limited proficiency. Or is this an instance where the language is "adjusted" for artistic reasons?

Hinamawari has a reputation beyond repute Hinamawari has a reputation beyond repute Hinamawari has a reputation beyond repute Hinamawari has a reputation beyond repute Hinamawari has a reputation beyond repute Hinamawari has a reputation beyond repute Hinamawari has a reputation beyond repute Hinamawari has a reputation beyond repute Hinamawari has a reputation beyond repute Hinamawari has a reputation beyond repute Hinamawari has a reputation beyond repute Hinamawari's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

苦しむ is an intransitive verb. 合う means "together" when used as a verbal suffix. 苦しみ合う thus means "to suffer together." "To cause each other suffering" would be 苦しめ合う.

Junior Member 鏡花水月 has a spectacular aura about 鏡花水月 has a spectacular aura about 鏡花水月's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-22-2015 10:01 PM
    Threads

@Hinamawari
    Thanks for the clarification!

Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-25-2023 08:47 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by Hinamawari View Post
    I'm inclined to think that 笑ったり バカしたり 苦しみ合えていたら is an independent sentence, with an "いいのに" implied at the end. Expanded, the last four lines of this verse would become three sentences:

もっといっしょに遊びたかった。(あの時、僕らはもっと)笑ったり バカしたり 苦しみ合えていたら(いい のに)。(今の)あふれ出てくるこの想いをどこにぶつければ、どこに吐き出せば良いのか。
    Thanks for your analysis. I tend to agree. I was thinking more along of the lines of

もっといっしょに遊びたかった。(たとえば)笑ったりバカしたり(すること)。(あの時、僕らはもっと)苦 しみ合えていたら something (?) ...

But I think your interpretation makes more sense and answers the implied question.

... たら can only mean "when" when you're making a command/request when a certain condition is fulfilled, for example: 日本に着いたら是非連絡して下さい。
    I have recollections of coming across たら referring to past incidents as meaning "when [such-and-such happened]". But I'll try to keep a more watchful eye on that point.

Thanks again.

Gil
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by Raichu View Post
    I have recollections of coming across たら referring to past incidents as meaning "when [such-and-such happened]". But I'll try to keep a more watchful eye on that point.
    Ahh, sorry, I wasn't being very clear. I meant to refer to たら being used for the non-past sense in the result clause (while the condition in the たら clause has already been fulfilled, i.e. has happened in the past). (I should also add that in the case I mentioned above, it's also possible to talk about one's own or a third person's action in the result clause, but it's in the sense of a "promised" action, for example: 日本に着いたら連絡します。) When used for a past result, "when" is fine.
    Last edited by Hinamawari; 10-31-2015 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Clarification

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information