AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Your take on always-online consoles?

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Your take on always-online consoles?

Yeah, don't bring the PC-Steam argument because we're talking about consoles and not PC.

My interent went out on me, actually my entire aera so I wasn't able to use the internet obviously...but hey, at least I was able to play some SotC HD, with an always online connection, I probably won't be able to.

Not to mention I like taking my consoles out of the house sometimes and with that rumor going on, I probably won't be able to.

Your take?

Senior Member FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Photoshop
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-21-2017 02:41 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ThomasakaDes

Default Re: Your take on always-online consoles?

IF one have to have the console connected to the net at all time to be able to play even single player, then I won't bother to buy one of those.
    Then I'll buy one where I can play sp in offline mode too, even if that console is the Wii II(WiiU).
    Someone commented back to me on WoodysGamertag video about the PS4, he thinks that we will be able to play sp without net connectiong. If that will be correct, then I might buy a PS4, but I won't be one of the first this time either.

If even the Wii II has to have a net connection at all time, then I'll go back to gaming on PC.

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Des View Post
    IF one have to have the console connected to the net at all time to be able to play even single player, then I won't bother to buy one of those.
    Then I'll buy one where I can play sp in offline mode too, even if that console is the Wii II(WiiU).
    Someone commented back to me on WoodysGamertag video about the PS4, he thinks that we will be able to play sp without net connectiong. If that will be correct, then I might buy a PS4, but I won't be one of the first this time either.

If even the Wii II has to have a net connection at all time, then I'll go back to gaming on PC.
    I'm more than sure that games will go digital, then it might be a bigger issue....I mean, because it will involve DRM and this online DRM as well. Now we won't be able to take our games, nor our consoles. This is BS.

That's what I will most likely have to do as well. =\

Senior Member FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Photoshop
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

@Kaitou+
    Yeah, unfortunatly that's the future of console gaming :/
    I prefer to have my games in a cover, as you might have noticed, I like to collect games and they look better on a shelf thing than on a hdd :P

And when they go digital, the hdd have to be at least 1 tb.
    InFamous is like 11 gb when downloading it from the PS Store. For a person like me who buys alot of games, 320 gb hdd will not be enough. I'm sure game devs won't stop to make it possible to use your own music in games, I like to play to the music I like hehe.
    And there's more that can be installed on the hdd, like Netflix, VidZone and more.

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure inFamous is 7GB, but yeah, I still get your point.

Senior Member Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-27-2013 05:08 PM
    Threads

I'll buy an Always-Online console, but I will never spend more than $20 on a game that I never actually owned to begin with. If we go always-online, you will be paying $60 for a "license to play" for which you don't fully own your game.

There is a reason you do not pay taxes on things like digital games and theater movies: you pay for a license to veiw/play until the expired time.
    Last edited by Ayu 「あゆ」; 04-13-2012 at 08:33 PM.

7. Likes .:neuko:., Explorer Oak liked this post
    Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuda View Post
    I'll buy an Always-Online console, but I will never spend more than $20 on a game that I never actually owned to begin with. If we go always-online, you will be paying $60 for a "license to play" for which you don't fully own your game.

There is a reason you do not pay taxes on things like digital games and theater movies: you pay for a license to veiw/play until the expired time.
    Where did you get that from?

Senior Member Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou+ View Post
    Where did you get that from?
    I don't remember the exact details. But by "expired time," I mean the EULA has the potential to screw you over and prevent you from accessing your game without cause or warning. It's the same for all digital content. Even Steam has this same EULA tho they told us that they would release a patch or update to allow content to be playable offline in the case that Valve discontinues the Steam service.

And thus it really is just a license to play rather than being the actual owner of a disc you can play at any given time.
    Last edited by Ayu 「あゆ」; 04-13-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Photoshop
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Heh, another reason to prefer hard copies xD

Senior Member .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2020 04:24 PM
    Threads

I don't remember the exact details. But by "expired time," I mean the EULA has the potential to screw you over and prevent you from accessing your game without cause or warning. It's the same for all digital content. Even Steam has this same EULA tho they told us that they would release a patch or update to allow content to be playable offline in the case that Valve discontinues the Steam service.

And thus it really is just a license to play rather than being the actual owner of a disc you can play at any given time.
    And thus we enter the subscription age...

I also share the same view as Des here: I prefer (and always will prefer) to own my games in boxes.

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Oh, that's what you mean with "expiration time". Makes sense although it's all hypothetical if that's the right word because you said if they continue to discontinue the service (if ever).

And actually, with DRM, even if you own the disc, you still go the license to play the game and you can't really play it at any given time. You never heard what happened with Assassin's Creed II's DRM right? Always-online DRM....Yup.

Digital or Physical copy...there's DRM so it's still a license either way.

Even with consoles games, everything is a license. (You can't go distribute the game online, for example).
    Last edited by Hanamaru Kunikida; 04-15-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

@Ayuda You do know that 90% of what's in a EULA wont hold up in court right?

Gil
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by GameGeeks View Post
    @Ayuda You do know that 90% of what's in a EULA wont hold up in court right?
    It actually will. Those EULA exist for a reason.

MS Music closed down and locked your music.
    If Steam discontinues, they have no obligation to go out of their way to keep your games playable (meaning your lose all your games).
    Crysis 2 was stripped from Steam, preventing people from redownloading/reinstalling a game they had already purchased.
    And Zune/iTunes only permits a one-time download per purchase of said song, and for which Microsoft's Zune software has at times deleted people's music for which they purchased from Zune from their PC (myself included on this).

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

If Steam discontinues, they have no obligation to go out of their way to keep your games playable (meaning your lose all your games).
    Crysis 2 was stripped from Steam, preventing people from redownloading/reinstalling a game they had already purchased.
    And Zune/iTunes only permits a one-time download per purchase of said song, and for which Microsoft's Zune software has at times deleted people's music for which they purchased from Zune from their PC (myself included on this).
    That was EA's fault with Origins.

And I am pretty sure Steam have a refund.. It's Valve so I am pretty sure they did.

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Not really, if you actually read what's in them a lot of it can be down right criminal. Not to mention against the law in the US.

Gil
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

That was EA's fault with Origins.

And I am pretty sure Steam have a refund.. It's Valve so I am pretty sure they did.
    I am one of those who bought Crysis 2 off of Steam and I never recieved a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by GameGeeks View Post
    Not really, if you actually read what's in them a lot of it can be down right criminal. Not to mention against the law in the US.
    They are down right criminal, but it is legal. It's an elleged agreement between you and the third-party. It's no different than signing a waive for skydiving or a waive for those medical drug-testing groups that get paid for testing out new and possibly dangerous drugs and procedures.

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

I am one of those who bought Crysis 2 off of Steam and I never recieved a refund.

They are down right criminal, but it is legal. It's an elleged agreement between you and the third-party. It's no different than signing a waive for skydiving or a waive for those medical drug-testing groups that get paid for testing out new and possibly dangerous drugs and procedures.
    Yes, but for those there aren't any laws against them per sey. It's not difficult to get those thrown out if you tried. And if you notice, those tend not to come up in court as companies know they wouldn't fly.

Moderator BluGru Mitsuo (Tori) has a reputation beyond repute BluGru Mitsuo (Tori) has a reputation beyond repute BluGru Mitsuo (Tori) has a reputation beyond repute BluGru Mitsuo (Tori) has a reputation beyond repute BluGru Mitsuo (Tori) has a reputation beyond repute BluGru Mitsuo (Tori) has a reputation beyond repute BluGru Mitsuo (Tori) has a reputation beyond repute BluGru Mitsuo (Tori) has a reputation beyond repute BluGru Mitsuo (Tori) has a reputation beyond repute BluGru Mitsuo (Tori) has a reputation beyond repute BluGru Mitsuo (Tori) has a reputation beyond repute BluGru Mitsuo (Tori)'s Avatar
    Gil
    Nerdy
    Gifts Raccoon Jade Disc Soul Eater Soul
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-27-2020 12:39 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Blugrutori

when i take any consol my internet goes at my bffs house so i get mad

Senior Member Saracin has a reputation beyond repute Saracin has a reputation beyond repute Saracin has a reputation beyond repute Saracin has a reputation beyond repute Saracin has a reputation beyond repute Saracin has a reputation beyond repute Saracin has a reputation beyond repute Saracin has a reputation beyond repute Saracin has a reputation beyond repute Saracin has a reputation beyond repute Saracin has a reputation beyond repute Saracin's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-27-2013 03:37 PM
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Saracin PSN ID: Saracin651

Personally I don't see a system that requires you to be always online coming anytime soon. Most of the rumors you hear before any new system is officially announced are a ploy by the makers to get an idea of where the people stand on new, but possibly troublesome features. Even worse is this leads to people running around saying they can see Sony or Microsoft doing something like that, not because of any actual evidence, but because they are haters who want to piss people off and turn everything into a holy console war.

The only reason some PC publishers require you to be online to play games is piracy, which is what has killed most of the PC market. And while piracy does hurt sales off console games, its not nearly as bad as what has happened on the PC due to most console owners not having the tech knowledge to mod their system. On top of that when many games come with online features that require you to take it online and through a security check when you log on, it gets harder and harder to get away with it.

As for whether I am for or against a console that requires me to be online all the time, I'll hate it, but I'll still buy it if it has games I want. Its the Diablo 3 argument. You may not like it, but you'll be right there in line when it comes out regardless. So suck it up, break out your wallet, and game on.

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saracin View Post
    Personally I don't see a system that requires you to be always online coming anytime soon. Most of the rumors you hear before any new system is officially announced are a ploy by the makers to get an idea of where the people stand on new, but possibly troublesome features. Even worse is this leads to people running around saying they can see Sony or Microsoft doing something like that, not because of any actual evidence, but because they are haters who want to piss people off and turn everything into a holy console war.
    I can see where you're coming from ...And I actually seen it around by other saying that, and it makes sense. However, here's the only part I disagree with:

I think that the haters comment is rather irrelevant because the people who are passing on these statements (around Forums) are owners of one of the consoles of both. Why have a console or a console of a company you hate? Because rumors go it might go for both consoles.

Why would people not pass a rumor that is attention-grabbing? Doesn't matter if it's a rumor, considering the topic in hand.

As for whether I am for or against a console that requires me to be online all the time, I'll hate it, but I'll still buy it if it has games I want. Its the Diablo 3 argument. You may not like it, but you'll be right there in line when it comes out regardless. So suck it up, break out your wallet, and game on.
    You're only half right on this. I know I would go right on ahead to buy a Wii U if they ever announce a Mother 4, I don't care about all the Wii U's issues that I have with it, I would get it for Mother 4. However, while there's some people like you and me....there's also people with "more will". In a way I guess I could say "their loss" if a great line up of games are coming for the 8th Gen but at the same time I would understand why they chose to opt out of this coming generation. With the things they are doing (although they are just rumors) that's enough to attempt to opt out from it, while again, some will probably just get over it like we did for both Xbox 360 (Xbox Live Gold) and PS3, some will actually opt out.

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 AM ----------

Wait, you never did?

Well, I was trying to google it but I found nothing regarding the subject (just articles saying that it did get pulled off, but that's it) so I just assumed they did because it's Valve. That really sucks and it's disappointing. Considering how much Origin sucks and the fact you won't pay double, you didn't get it again didn't you?
    Last edited by Hanamaru Kunikida; 04-16-2012 at 06:44 AM.

Senior Member Saracin has a reputation beyond repute Saracin has a reputation beyond repute Saracin has a reputation beyond repute Saracin has a reputation beyond repute Saracin has a reputation beyond repute Saracin has a reputation beyond repute Saracin has a reputation beyond repute Saracin has a reputation beyond repute Saracin has a reputation beyond repute Saracin has a reputation beyond repute Saracin has a reputation beyond repute Saracin's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-27-2013 03:37 PM
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Saracin PSN ID: Saracin651

I can see where you're coming from ...And I actually seen it around by other saying that, and it makes sense. However, here's the only part I disagree with:

I think that the haters comment is rather irrelevant because the people who are passing on these statements (around Forums) are owners of one of the consoles of both. Why have a console or a console of a company you hate? Because rumors go it might go for both consoles.
    Sorry, I had missed that both system were rumored to have that, although I also meant that part as a general opinion of rumors themselves, not that rumor in particular. For the haters I'd bring up the rumor that the PS4 won't be backward compatible. Which doesn't really worry me since I never trade in my old system anyway. After I had a PS2 die from me playing too many PS1 games on it, I will always keep an old system to play my old games on.

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Sorry, I had missed that both system were rumored to have that, although I also meant that part as a general opinion of rumors themselves, not that rumor in particular. For the haters I'd bring up the rumor that the PS4 won't be backward compatible. Which doesn't really worry me since I never trade in my old system anyway. After I had a PS2 die from me playing too many PS1 games on it, I will always keep an old system to play my old games on.
    Again, I really wouldn't say it's primarily because of hate. Sure, some people will use it against a company they have to degrade them but most people post it around because it's an eye-candy and sometimes a must post/spread around.

It's not really like gossip. xD

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information