AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with "好きにさせないで"

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-25-2023 08:47 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Help with "好きにさせないで"

The fourth last line of the song 告白予行練習 (Confession Rehearsal) says:
    これ以上好きにさせないでよ
    The translator on that site and on the linked video (the one with subs) has translated it as:
    Don't make me say it any more than this.
    However, I think it means:
    Don't let [me] do as I please any more.
    Trouble is, if you listen to the whole song, neither translation seems to fit the context. Anyone got any ideas?

Junior Member Guy-Kun is on a distinguished road Guy-Kun's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-02-2014 03:46 AM
    Threads

Default Re: Help with "好きにさせないで"

難しいね。。
    Well, I'd probably go with "How much more are you going to let/make me speak/say?".
    Kinda hard finding something that fits the context. Hope that helps.
    Though his translation seems fine.

bambooXZX will become famous soon enough bambooXZX's Avatar
    Gil
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-18-2023 04:37 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I think the meaning is closer to ''Don't make me fall any harder in love with you than I already have". Probably not standard usage for 好きにさせ, but I have seen precedent for it in lyrics. Makes sense in context of the following line - a subtle way to indicate that the whole thing ended happily.

Also, not sure if I agree with some other parts of the existing translation:

>本気になるよ!? なんて 嘘をつかないで!! やめてよ
    >Don't mess around like that! Stop it!

This line drops a whole lot of meaning. This line is the speaker responding to her crush's response to the situation (an unmarked quote, essentially):
    "You'll get serious, you say!? Don't lie like that!! Stop it!"
    That is, the crush says "I'll get serious" as in the confession will make him seriously like her (at least that's how I interpret it), which makes the speaker flustered.

>本気になってよ 練習なんて / 嘘つき心を見破って
    >You gotta get serious, with all this practice and stuff / A lying heart will be seen right through

These lines are worded in the original as commands, so to me, they make more sense as the speaker's unsaid inner thoughts toward her crush:
    "Be serious about this. 'Practice' and all... / See through my lying heart."
    In this case, 練習なんて is kind of tacked on as clarification of the surrounding words; It could be sort of like "I can't believe you're really treating this as practice", or it could be directly leading into the next line to specify 'practice' as the lie. Also note the return of 本気, which I believe is used in the same sense as the above example.

>これが最後 練習させて 言うよ! ホントの言葉
    >This is it, let me practice, I'll say it, those real words

This line drops 最後 ("this is the final practice session"). While the song could still stand without it, 'final' makes the pacing of the progression of events clearer.

Now, I'm not that familiar with many songs by HoneyWorks or with their general lyrical style, so I'm not 100% sure I have it right (particularly for the nuance of 本気). Still, I'm fairly confident based on this song alone, and I hope this clarifies things a bit.

Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei's Avatar
    Gil
    Psychadelic
    Gifts Favorite Bioshock Syringe Bioshock Eve
    Mentioned
    274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-27-2019 06:35 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: aozorapen

@bambooXZX I think you've got it right - their style is usually quite cute/sort of dramatic, so those would fit right in.

できねぇ時?
    そん時ゃ諸共心中だよ

Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-25-2023 08:47 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I got to ask a Japanese native speaker about suki ni sasenai de. He said that a statement suki ni saseru would more likely mean "i'll let you do what you want" or "i'll make you do what i want", but in the context of this song, kore ijō suki ni sasenai de means "don't make me like you more than i already do".

As for bamboo's comments, i agree with the first and third. With the second point, your interpretation that it's the girl's thoughts seems to fit the context so I think it's a valid interpretation. My alternative interpretation is based on the fact that she's watching her phone intently during those lines and then throws it in anger. I take those lines as the boy's response to her message: "Do your 'practice confession' properly coz I can tell if you're lying".

I need to submit a correction to the "sasenai de" line. Does anyone know how to do that? Another post says to send a PM to the lyrics administrator, but it doesn't say who that is.

AnimeLyrics Admin
    EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-25-2020 10:24 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: xenographer Steam ID: xen0glossy

Quote Originally Posted by Raichu View Post
    I need to submit a correction to the "sasenai de" line. Does anyone know how to do that? Another post says to send a PM to the lyrics administrator, but it doesn't say who that is.
    Me and/or @AzureDark .

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information