AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is your personal stance on anime fanservice?

Junior Member jackadam is on a distinguished road jackadam's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-02-2018 04:57 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default What is your personal stance on anime fanservice?

I should've know better to read that Kotaku article on Keijo!!!!!!!!! but since I did thought I'd ask for all of your input on this subject.

If your argument against fanservice with regards to gender representation is the fact that it has its own designated media space for silly raunchy nonsense then you're fighting a pretty tenuous fight. Easier arguments aren't necessarily the best ones to make. Especially since in the case of something like Keijo!!!!!!!! where it isn't necessarily the idea of chicks using their assets to knock each other around that gets people, but the sheer enthusiasm through which its pursued .The kind that could perk up attention for any inane sounding premise.

I personally draw the line when cheesecake constantly jumps in the path of serious plotting/character work to derail it with "*nudge nudge* I bet you're feeling horny now eh?". We need less Sinon-esque butt angles and lecherous cameras in anime as a whole, but if you're going to have all of those then go all out and make it clear to whoever doesn't like it that this ain't their scene.

Tags: alone ringtone, free ringtones downloads, don’t wanna know song ringtone
    Last edited by jackadam; 12-14-2016 at 02:02 AM.

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-18-2024 09:00 PM
    Threads

Default Re: What is your personal stance on anime fanservice?

Quote Originally Posted by jackadam View Post
    I personally draw the line when cheesecake constantly jumps in the path of serious plotting/character work to derail it with "*nudge nudge* I bet you're feeling horny now eh?". We need less Sinon-esque butt angles and lecherous cameras in anime as a whole, but if you're going to have all of those then go all out and make it clear to whoever doesn't like it that this ain't their scene.
    I don't mind nudity, or fan service. But sometimes it does get rather ridiculous to watch, especially when the storyline is just an excuse to get people naked. Freezing comes to mind. It seems the girls can't do battle in that series without their clothes being ripped to shreds. The entire series was mindless. Although the sequel, Freezing Vibrations, did have a great plot-line and story.

On the other hand, having nudity central to the plot did work for Kill la Kill. But Kill la Kill is what I call a "dumb, but fun" anime. It is not intended to be taken seriously at any level.

Moderator Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Moon Crescent Wand Wine Kangaroo
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 04:32 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'm fine with fan service but personally I don't watch the kind of series mentioned above. Anime wouldn't be anime without the occasional panty shot or 'accidental' oppai grope. But when it becomes the main purpose of the series, or it it's completely OTT and unnecessary, It becomes silly and I'll usually just stop watching. Then again, I love Free! and a bit of yaoi here and there...so maybe I'm being buyist towards my personal preferences.

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Jasanime View Post
    I'm fine with fan service but personally I don't watch the kind of series mentioned above. Anime wouldn't be anime without the occasional panty shot or 'accidental' oppai grope. But when it becomes the main purpose of the series, or it it's completely OTT and unnecessary, It becomes silly and I'll usually just stop watching.
    I agree that when nudity becomes the purpose of the series it becomes silly. But it did work for Kill la Kill because that series was supposed to be silly.

Ace Kaitous YOU Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Hat Rayman Baboon With A Gun Bioshock Syringe
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-23-2024 09:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: kaitou ace42 PSN ID: kaitou42 Steam ID: kaitou_ace

I'll agree it worked for Kill la Kill, but then you look at a show like Highschool of the Dead, and the fanservice made anything serious that they were trying to accomplish just fail utterly (for me at least). I couldn't take the horror bits seriously when every other angle was to do an underskirt shot, or a focus on some girls chest seconds before the walking dead attack her.

Junior Member TheKingofHorror is on a distinguished road TheKingofHorror's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-14-2016 07:47 AM
    Threads

I think it depends on a few things. First of all is the fanservice a plot device that follows the story? Such as Kill La Kill the reason many don't mind it is because it's clever and makes sense with the story. Is it well timed and basically placed correctly. Things such as falling and grabbing boobies or upskirt shots being the example of poor placement. Then there's is the series ABOUT campy fan service? Series like To Love Ru I enjoy the over the top ecchi type of comedy in those kinds of shows. The first series the later ones get worse IMO. Shows like HOTD are a great example of destorying a good story with campy boob humor. It could have been a decent zombie anime without jello breasts but instead it's a joke and a mess.

Senior Member Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-19-2019 04:46 PM
    Threads

Personally, I LOVE IT, really, anime has always had a lot of sex appeal, and I'm tired of those who want to water down anime by always complaining about fanservice.
    Fanservice is just a big part of anime and the anime/otoku world. I've always accepted anime as it is and enjoyed it.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

It did work for B Gata H Kei.

Or is this too much to post? (There are scenes even more revealing.)

And no, the original is not in Dutch.

Little Green Miko Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome's Avatar
    Gil
    Blah
    Gifts Kawaiislice Aria Neko Pluto Garnet Orb
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-23-2023 10:19 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Kagxme4988 PSN ID: KagomeMiko

Nothing against it at all. It's a natural part of the Japanese culture anyway. Who am I to judge another culture's harmless past times?
    How'd You Like That On Your Lawn?!
    "I may be empty, but I'm not worthless!"

...Clear...

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Kagome View Post
    Nothing against it at all. It's a natural part of the Japanese culture anyway. Who am I to judge another culture's harmless past times?
    Your posting made me think of My Neighbor Totoro. It is supposed to be a family oriented film, but American audiences were offended by the scene were the two girls are naked taking a bath with their father. In Japan the scene didn't even raise an eyebrow since in Japan children bathing with their parents is normal.

11. Likes Kagome liked this post
    Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    Your posting made me think of My Neighbor Totoro. It is supposed to be a family oriented film, but American audiences were offended by the scene were the two girls are naked taking a bath with their father. In Japan the scene didn't even raise an eyebrow since in Japan children bathing with their parents is normal.
    Most American audiences are offended pretty easily though. Just look at Pokemon and the censorship of Jynx. Fanservice is fine in my opinion. If its an ecchi genre especially, like Highschool of the dead - Having mindless ecchi is almost certain.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Anime Forum View Post
    Most American audiences are offended pretty easily though. Just look at Pokemon and the censorship of Jynx.
    I never watched Pokemon. What was so "offensive" that it had to be censored?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information