AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Really old Japanese anime

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Cool Really old Japanese anime

Well, it really does not look like what we would call anime. The style looks like the cartoons being produced in the US at the time. The poster in his notes cites a Fleischer Brothers influence. I guess the Fleischer studio style would fit Japanese folk culture.

Here's another. I think I may have posted this here once before. It's a silent film. Though Hollywood was producing sound films in 1929, the rest of the world was a few years behind.

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

2. Likes Takatofan1986 liked this post
    Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Default Re: Really old Japanese anime

I just found this film. It's worth a look.

I tried to find out something about it on imdb.com. Not much there, other than saying the director was Yasuji Murata. His imdb bio: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1672033/..._=nm_ov_bio_sm Anyone know anything about him?

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Here is an interesting silent anime. Not the anime style we know today, but note the artwork has quite a bit of detail at times. Remember, this was done without computers. Each frame was hand drawn. To me, that is more impressive.

Senior Member Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Mario Ice Flower Gabumon 007 - Squirtle
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-01-2024 10:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Takatofan1986

Thanks for sharing these. They are fascinating to see where it evolved from.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ Thanks. And may I add it is fascinating to note the visual influences many of these early animated cartoons took from American animation. Of course, now Japanese animation is influencing the world over. How many American animated series are drawn and animated in Japan? Or in South Korea or other Far East nations where the Japanese anime influence is strong? Japanese animators are succeeding where the Japanese military failed during World War II!

If anyone else finds an early Japanese anime they like, post it and let's analyze.

7. Likes Takatofan1986 liked this post
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The oldest one yet that I could find.

Made to play in a loop on a nickelodeon (look it up!), this restoration even has the hand painted color restored -- digitally.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Get a load of this one:

First, some of the animation reminds me of Monty Python's Terry Gilliam.

Second, I know sound came to Japan, and other countries, much later than the US. I was unaware they had it in 1930 -- assuming the date given is correct. This must have been one of the first Japanese films of any sort which had a sound track.

Third, Fleischer studios are usually given credit for inventing the bouncing ball. This film seems to have beaten them to it.

And fourth, nice beat!
    Last edited by PictureGuy; 02-21-2020 at 04:09 PM.

10. Likes Takatofan1986 liked this post
    Senior Member Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Mario Ice Flower Gabumon 007 - Squirtle
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-01-2024 10:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Takatofan1986

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    Get a load of this one:

First, some of the animation reminds me of Monty Python's Terry Gilliam.

Second, I know sound came to Japan, and other countries, much later than the US. I was unaware they had it in 1930 -- assuming the date given is correct. This must have been one of the first Japanese films of any sort which had a sound track.

Third, Fleischer studios are usually given credit for inventing the bouncing ball. This film seems to have beaten them to it.

And fourth, nice beat!

You find some really interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing!

(Random, I'll be on vacation for the next week and a half, see ya later!)

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

You're quite welcome. Got any of your own to post? You can't go on vacation until you do!

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Here is one I wasn't looking for, but I did stumble across.

Other than it appears to be a silent film in which a narration was later added, I really don't know much about it. No date is given, and there are no subs. So I looked it up on the Internet Movie Database. I think this is the anime we are talking about: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420019/reference

Note the year given is 1935. Although sound had replaced silents in the US some six years prior, silent films were being made in other countries well into the 1930's; mainly because they hadn't the technology. I am pretty sure Japan had the technology by 1935, so maybe this was made by a smaller, poorer studio. Or maybe the technology was in short supply in Japan.

Note the animation and artwork seems more fitting to what was being done in the US ten years earlier than it is to anime of today.

This seems to be one of a short lived series of animated cartoons dealing with a low ranking soldier named Norakuro.
    Last edited by PictureGuy; 03-12-2020 at 11:26 PM.

14. Likes Takatofan1986 liked this post
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Here's another I came across. Of all the animations I have posted thus far, I think this one, in character design and subject matter, is the closest yet to what we today know as anime. What do you thing?

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Here's one with a twist on the cat and mouse concept. The cat is the hero.

Unfortunately it seems a few frames of the short are missing.

It is an interesting choice for background music. It is more American or western than Japanese.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I think I posted this before somewhere, but it is worth posting again. Mickey Mouse is casted against type. He may have shot this during his contract dispute with Disney. Look for Felix the Cat as well.

Take a look at the character designs. Note some of the characters have the manga/anime eyes that we associate with Japanese cartooning today. It does look different than the ones I posted before. Also, note the militaristic theme. This is five years before Pearl Harbor.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

From 1929, this one looks different than anything we've seen so far. It looks like stop-action using paper cutouts. Compared to animation today, it reminds me of the style of South Park. Also, it seems the soundtrack came to Japan not long after it came to use in the US.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information