AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Why does the school make kids read crappy books?

Senior Member The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-23-2011 08:57 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: goku100107

Default Why does the school make kids read crappy books?

I want to know.

If it's to learn something,I'm not learning anything.
    If it's to entertain,I feel like I'll die of boredom from those books.
    If it's to get kids reading,it is not working at all.
    If it's to teach morals,I think I want to make my own morals,and not base them off a book.

The books they read are just so boring. The plot is horrible,it's like a person with a one tracked mind wrote those books. The characters....god their characters are horrible.
    Last time I checked,reading is for entertainment,not meant to take a knife and start mutilating the book because you wish it never existed. Things like A Doll's House,Things Fall Apart,Bronx Masquerade,and many more cannot compare to things like Cell,The Concrete Blonde,Eye of The Storm,Grave Peril and also many more.

Basically,I rage at the books they make us read .

What are your opinons on the schools?
    Last edited by The Butcher; 07-27-2010 at 06:16 PM.

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why does the school make kids read crappy books?

They made me read the Outsiders. I'm cool with that book so I disagree with your point.

Senior Member Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Ferrari Soccer Ball Favorite
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2012 10:37 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Bring your own books to read.
    Half the time they're also stupid enough to leave enough clues in the questions about the book that you can make an educated guess and get it right.
    Or bring a portable gaming device, mute it, prop a book up in front of you and you have something like classical goomba stomping which is much more mentally stimulating to do!
    victoria aut mors

Anime Sekai Kenkyuuin GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™'s Avatar
    Gil
    Cynical
    Gifts Systems NES Systems NES Controller Iron Man MkII
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-01-2011 10:45 AM
    Threads

I don't think they are doing it with the purpose of making us learn something specific and they certainly aren't doing it to entertain us.As kids grow they need stimulation and the teacher's job is to encourage the thinking process by making us use our heads and reading is a very important part of that.They can't let us make the decision because lets face it,if it was up to us students,to decide whether or not to read anything at all in school,most wouldn't choose anything.Reading,unlike TV is an active mental process,it gives us a glimpse into other cultures and places,improves concentration,it makes us use our imagination and because of that they make us read what they think will do us the most good.Books are so powerful they can corrupt the developing mind as some might say so they have be quite picky.That's why mandatory reading material in schools is quite different in areas with different religious and moral beliefs.Unfortunately these limitations lead to the inability to accommodate every one's tastes,anywhere.In literature class here,they make us read what they consider to be the best works of literature.Some of it is actually interesting but most isn't..It's the same everywhere

Senior Member Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Heart Favorite
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-17-2018 06:14 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I quite liked the books I read, like the south african folklore stories, also Love,david, District 6, scripts, circles in a forest and vaselientjie. Those were good books.
    Thank you for the gift Nespa

Click > http://www.cityofif.com
    http://www.tomecity.com

Member ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-06-2013 01:27 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: ghostthegreat

If you were only to read books you like, how would you know what else is out there? If you were only to eat Italian food, how would you know if you liked Chinese food or maybe even just one dish of Chinese food? Some of the most enriching experiences you can get are from reading books that you don't think you will like. And it's fine not to like them! But along the way, you will learn about different writers, styles, and genres. You might even stumble across something you thought you would never like, but find out that you do. Even if you absolutely hate, and I mean HATE (I hate Things Fall Apart, I don't care about your damn yams, shut up about your damn yams already) you should be able to find at least one thing in the book that you can take with you, either a message, a meaning, or even just a half way cool scene.
    I need a new signature and I didn't know what to put, so I decided to throw this in.

Also check out my blog at http://danielkamin.wordpress.com

Senior Member The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Furore View Post
    Bring your own books to read.
    Half the time they're also stupid enough to leave enough clues in the questions about the book that you can make an educated guess and get it right.
    Or bring a portable gaming device, mute it, prop a book up in front of you and you have something like classical goomba stomping which is much more mentally stimulating to do!
    I always bring my books to read in my free time,but I'm not the kind of person who wants to get in trouble while being forced to read some crappy play or novel.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostthegreat View Post
    If you were only to read books you like, how would you know what else is out there? If you were only to eat Italian food, how would you know if you liked Chinese food or maybe even just one dish of Chinese food? Some of the most enriching experiences you can get are from reading books that you don't think you will like. And it's fine not to like them! But along the way, you will learn about different writers, styles, and genres. You might even stumble across something you thought you would never like, but find out that you do. Even if you absolutely hate, and I mean HATE (I hate Things Fall Apart, I don't care about your damn yams, shut up about your damn yams already) you should be able to find at least one thing in the book that you can take with you, either a message, a meaning, or even just a half way cool scene.
    I try all different genres,even freaking romance sometimes(You can see that I will even torture myself to try something). I understood plays like Romeo & Juliet,fairly easy,while I could barely understand Thomas Harris' Red Dragon. I got to a high level of reading through the books I read,not the school's books, which I could even have understood back when I was in 6th grade.
    Last edited by The Butcher; 07-26-2010 at 03:57 PM.

Senior Member Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Ferrari Soccer Ball Favorite
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2012 10:37 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It could be worse.
    My class in highschool had 'visual texts' to study as well, one of which was Billy Elliot. I dislike that movie considerably so watching it and several key scenes several times wasn't on my list of things I liked about school. Even my gameboy couldn't salvage those lessons thanks to how high the volume was...

Also what is up with those centuries old texts they often use? Thou doth nay likely speaketh like that IRL.
    victoria aut mors

Member ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat has a reputation beyond repute ghostthegreat's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-06-2013 01:27 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: ghostthegreat

Quote Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
    I always bring my books to read in my free time,but I'm not the kind of person who wants to get in trouble while being forced to read some crappy play or novel.

I try all different genres,even freaking romance sometimes(You can see that will even torture myself to try something). I understood plays like Romeo & Juliet,fairly easy,while I could barely understand Thomas Harris' Red Dragon. I got to a high level of reading through the books I read,not the school's books, which I could even have understood back when I was in 6th grade.
    If you are already reading books you don't like to explore different genres, then that's great! But, most (ie 99%) of students will not. So, books ranging from Grapes of Wrath to Things Fall Apart to Shakespeare are thrown in the curriculum to give these students an idea of what is out there. Does it make sense to have authors like these grouped together? Not a chance. However, in High School, they are mostly trying to give you an overview of literary works. Once you reach the collegiate level, you'll find more specific classes (a whole class for Shakespeare!) and usually the books are a much more enjoyable read as well. And as for specific books like Red Dragon(have never read this myself), sometimes they just pick really weird books, depends on the teacher sometimes too.
    I need a new signature and I didn't know what to put, so I decided to throw this in.

Also check out my blog at http://danielkamin.wordpress.com

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

The worst book I've had to read for school is Sophie's World and that was a living nightmare to have to read. And, to add insult in injury, I had to pay for the blasted book. School has introduced me to some great books though, like That was Then This is Now and 1984.

Senior Member Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Heart Favorite
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-17-2018 06:14 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

We could choose what sort of twelve books to read in highschool to be graded on.
    Thank you for the gift Nespa

Click > http://www.cityofif.com
    http://www.tomecity.com

Senior Member -Ro- has a reputation beyond repute -Ro- has a reputation beyond repute -Ro- has a reputation beyond repute -Ro- has a reputation beyond repute -Ro- has a reputation beyond repute -Ro- has a reputation beyond repute -Ro- has a reputation beyond repute -Ro- has a reputation beyond repute -Ro- has a reputation beyond repute -Ro- has a reputation beyond repute -Ro- has a reputation beyond repute -Ro-'s Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Batmobile Animated Eggplant Gabumon
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-14-2012 02:30 PM
    Threads

They didn't let us choose what books to read except one time, when I read the Fellowship of the Ring. I hated nearly all the books they made us read, especially Lord of the Flies... *ugh*. Lucky for me I can barely remember what any of the books I read were about. I didn't get anything out of them except maybe how to write better essays. I would rather have more freedom and still probably learn that way than read stuff I'm not interested in.
    Last edited by -Ro-; 07-26-2010 at 03:21 PM.
    After more research it was determined that 2012 was the end of twinkies.

Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by maverickgirl View Post
    They didn't let us choose what books to read except one time, when I read the Fellowship of the Ring. I hated nearly all the books they made us read, especially Lord of the Flies... *ugh*. Lucky for me I can barely remember what any of the books I read were about. I didn't get anything out of them except maybe how to write better essays. I would rather have more freedom and still probably learn that way than read stuff I'm not interested in.
    You lucky.

I can't erase what I have read in school.

Senior Member Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Systems Xbox 360 American Flag Ribbon AK47
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2016 03:29 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Light Buster PSN ID: Lightbuster88

I think the point of it is for you to learn something. I never liked it but I learned something from them.
    WARNING: This user is wanted for unauthorized access into Ultratech archives. If you see this user in person, please contact Ultratech immediately.

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

They make you read books because most kids wouldn't read otherwise. They have everyone read a certain book so that the class can discuss themes of the book. They don't want to waste time looking for book that the students like and is appropriate for class, so the teacher chooses from a pre-approved list.

I don't see how this is a difficult concept to understand. What do you expect, exactly? If you expect that their is some book that the entire class is unanimously enjoy, then you ask for the near impossible.

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

Not really, I took a mythology class and everyone enjoyed the books in that class. I must be odd since there was rarely a book I hated that I was made to read. In fact the only one that comes to mine is Sophie's World and as far as I was made to read it was all just her reading letters ever single chapter for the whole chapter. I like philosophy but that book just drawled on and on.

Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Wio View Post
    They make you read books because most kids wouldn't read otherwise. They have everyone read a certain book so that the class can discuss themes of the book. They don't want to waste time looking for book that the students like and is appropriate for class, so the teacher chooses from a pre-approved list.

I don't see how this is a difficult concept to understand. What do you expect, exactly? If you expect that their is some book that the entire class is unanimously enjoy, then you ask for the near impossible.
    I know not everyone will like the same thing,but something like Velocity,or Intensity are better than the books they read now.

Senior Member Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2016 04:10 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

One reason they give you books they know you probably won't like is because if they let everybody choose for themselves 9 out of 10 kids would choose books that have no literary value (i.e. Twilight)
    Not to mention they can't write tests up for 30 different books. The only real solution is to finish the assigned book and then read something you enjoy.

Saved Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices's Avatar
    Gil
    Bashful
    Gifts Telescope Baka Be Mine
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-21-2014 10:13 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Eh, I'm generally ok with the books they make us read -cough- Outsiders -cough- But the boring ones like Night and Of Mice and Men just couldn't keep my interest at all. And some had such confusing words you needed a dictionary next to you at all times (Les Miserables). I think there should be a list of books (at least 20) and then the students get to pick which books to read.

Sig by Feferi <3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
    -Mark Twain

Senior Member The_Angry_Princess has much to be proud of The_Angry_Princess has much to be proud of The_Angry_Princess has much to be proud of The_Angry_Princess has much to be proud of The_Angry_Princess has much to be proud of The_Angry_Princess has much to be proud of The_Angry_Princess has much to be proud of The_Angry_Princess has much to be proud of The_Angry_Princess has much to be proud of The_Angry_Princess's Avatar
    Gil
    In Love
    Gifts Heart 172 - Pichu Popsicle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2011 10:19 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Because they need to make their mine smarter with boring books and no bad language

I Love Being Visual Kei No Matter The Mood, Place or Time I Rock The Style Any day

Junior Member maskedrose is on a distinguished road maskedrose's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-12-2010 10:46 AM
    Threads

Just grin and deal with it until you get to college. Public school is such BS anyway.

Senior Member brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74's Avatar
    Gil
    Confused
    Gifts Cds Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2012 08:00 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The only good book I've read because of school was 1984. All of the others sucked. I feel like the books they have us read that are so called "classics" should be replaced with either more current selections, orlet us pick our own books. The Picture of Dorian Gray was horrible. Macbeth was ok, but overall, it gets a C-. Don't get me started on the Catcher in the Rye. I used to be a great reader, but then I stopped because school ruined reading for me. If it wasn't for light novels and manga, I probably never would have started reading for fun again.

Senior Member Psyco_Panda has a reputation beyond repute Psyco_Panda has a reputation beyond repute Psyco_Panda has a reputation beyond repute Psyco_Panda has a reputation beyond repute Psyco_Panda has a reputation beyond repute Psyco_Panda has a reputation beyond repute Psyco_Panda has a reputation beyond repute Psyco_Panda has a reputation beyond repute Psyco_Panda has a reputation beyond repute Psyco_Panda has a reputation beyond repute Psyco_Panda has a reputation beyond repute Psyco_Panda's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts 172 - Pichu Flowers Fan2 175 - Togepi
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-13-2011 06:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I figure its to torture us sometimes. Lol
    Music is my life
    Its the only thing that makes sense
    Its the air I breathe
    The very escence of my life
    The one thing I can trust
    The one thing that won't betray me
    Or turn its back on me
    I say again
    MUSIC IS MY LIFE

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    QueerFeminist16 is a splendid one to behold QueerFeminist16 is a splendid one to behold QueerFeminist16 is a splendid one to behold QueerFeminist16 is a splendid one to behold QueerFeminist16 is a splendid one to behold QueerFeminist16 is a splendid one to behold QueerFeminist16 is a splendid one to behold QueerFeminist16's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-09-2010 12:20 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I'd say it depends heavily on the teacher: even the seemingly dullest of books can come alive, if a teacher can find some themes with which we (the students) can relate - and is passionate about conveying it to us. This, however, takes a keen mind, a willingness to connect with one's students, some creative freedom in the classroom (not having to 'teach to the test'), and plenty of rest the night before - stuff that many of the U.S's overwhelmed, underpaid teachers are thoroughly lacking.

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 10:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

OP: You need to get a grip. I have been made to read dozens of books that, at the time, I seriously despised to read. Now, later looking back, I see that they were all books that I learned something from, and grew personally as a writer. You learn tone, technique, style, culture, empathy, etc etc from such books. So if YOU'RE not learning from the books, I have to say that you're doing it wrong. Yeah, no one likes being made to read something, but you HAVE to do it so, if nothing else, you may as well buckle down and try to enjoy it. No reason to be dead set on hating it, it just makes the experience worse for you. Doesn't hurt the teacher or anyone else one bit. So stop QQing and do your damn assignments.

The only reason other people are agreeing with you and complaining is because they are all ungrateful teenagers like you, and they can't see the value in the reading. Take from someone whose older and has gone through all that: you will get something out of it.

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information