AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Should anime be dubbed?

Member Gold_Roger is a glorious beacon of light Gold_Roger is a glorious beacon of light Gold_Roger is a glorious beacon of light Gold_Roger is a glorious beacon of light Gold_Roger is a glorious beacon of light Gold_Roger's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-06-2007 08:07 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Should anime be dubbed?

I hear a lot of complaining about dubbed anime.
    "The dub voices are horrible!"
    "Thye changed the music to crap!"
    "The dialogue is full bad puns and lame jokes!"
    "They won't release uncut DVDs!"
    "They edit every little thing out!"
    "Just because it's a cartoon, doesn't make it for kids!"

I know dubbed anime broadens its appeal (after all, if it wasn't for dubs, 90% of us wouldn't be here) but it's the bad dubs that get attention. What do you think?

Senior Member Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik has much to be proud of Quik's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-26-2012 08:04 PM
    Threads

Of course anime should be dubbed. Unless Im mistaken, dubs are getting a lot better. While I do enjoy watching the original Japanese anime, I also like dubs. However, if the dub has bad voice work, script/plot changes, etc, then Ill just ignore it and watch the anime in Japanese; if the dub is good than more often than not Ill usually just watch the dub, and watch certain scenes in Japanese (to compare, for example). Rarely, I come across a truly great anime dub that I honestly feel is the better than the original Japanese, like Read or Die (OVA and tv series).
    Last edited by Quik; 02-25-2007 at 12:51 PM.

Star-Crossed Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-17-2010 04:21 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0202-0359-4623-9027

I find most Japanese voices annoying, the women (no matter what age they're suppose to be voice acting) always sound like 5 year olds squeeling.

Not saying there isn't bad english dubbing, but I'd rather watch crappy dubbing in my own language. And even if the voice acting is way better in the Japanese version, it almost doesn't even matter since all it sounds like to me is jibberish.
    A MaruDashi Creation

Senior Member Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-01-2008 12:29 AM
    Threads

It is almost a neccesity for an anime to be dubbed. Yes it is true that sometimes the english voice actors are not always that great and that some puns are left out, however, not everyone enjoys reading words at the bottom of the screen the whole time, it can even be a problem considering it becomes hard to focus on whats happening above the words which can result in someone missing an important scene. I find myself constantly rewinding some of the subbed animes I watch simply because I cannot keep up with both the text and the video at the same time, it's just too much work. As far as deleting things out of anime such as cursing and blood, etc. It's not like things like that are important to the storyline, although it does add a little more interest and depth to certain scenes.

Senior Member nosfarartu has a reputation beyond repute nosfarartu has a reputation beyond repute nosfarartu has a reputation beyond repute nosfarartu has a reputation beyond repute nosfarartu has a reputation beyond repute nosfarartu has a reputation beyond repute nosfarartu has a reputation beyond repute nosfarartu has a reputation beyond repute nosfarartu has a reputation beyond repute nosfarartu has a reputation beyond repute nosfarartu has a reputation beyond repute nosfarartu's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-04-2009 06:53 PM
    Threads

personnally i dont watch anime in sub every mans voice sounds the same andso do the womans, and they also over exagerrate on things like 'oh no my snadwich fell on the floor the worlds going to end' stupid dubbed anime all the way woooooooooohooooooooooooo go dubbers
    Its not the size of the dog in the fight its the size of the fight in the dog.

MY STUFF
    HELLSING ORDER 3

Senior Member ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-14-2024 08:26 PM
    Threads

Not all English dubs suck.

But I also enjoy animes in other langauges like Tagalog, Korean, Mandarin, and Cantonese
    Check out my anime reviews at: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/users/hajimenojmo[/URL] and http://blog.honeyfeed.fm/

Senior Member sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m's Avatar
    Gil
    Yeehaw
    Gifts Ariel Fox Snowman
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-15-2019 01:15 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: pppascal

I love anime dubs (most of them)! If it weren't for dubs like Sailor Moon, Gundam, and Pokemon, half of use anime fans wouldn't even be here! XD For example, Sailor Moon was the show that first got me into anime. Ever since I was little, I was a huge fan of Sailor Moon. Now I don't like it so much. But it still holds a special place in my heart because it was my first favorite cartoon on T.V.

Member Gold_Roger is a glorious beacon of light Gold_Roger is a glorious beacon of light Gold_Roger is a glorious beacon of light Gold_Roger is a glorious beacon of light Gold_Roger is a glorious beacon of light Gold_Roger's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-06-2007 08:07 PM
    Threads

Thanks for your replies. I was on the fence with the issue because of the uncertain future of my beloved One Piece. Most of those quotes came from what One Piece fans amd myself were saying.

The dubs I do like are from FUNimation (nothing with Dragonball in the name) and from ADV Films.

I luv Irish+mac n'cheez NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-29-2009 02:25 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: No Wii

Ahhh The Age Old Question of Anime Dubs , now see? I'm a fan - I always have been a fan ever since I was four years old and asked "Mommy, how does that Kitty Talk?"

(When watching Samurai Pizza Cats) but anywho, I wanted to touch on this because it's a topic I love to talk about) I see alot of people whom I have nicknamed "Anime Purists"

Complain about dubs and why they're blasphemous to what the "Original Japanese" was supposed to come across as. Quite honestly, my standpoint is that Dubs are a preferance and I personally like them better than Subs, I can lay back and enjoy listening to Dubs while not having to read anything.

Gold Roger Posted The Following: I'd like to post on that as well (This is just my thought)

I hear a lot of complaining about dubbed anime.

"The dub voices are horrible!" - Usually those who watch the subs will say this about every show(if they're of the "Purist" type who only watch one type of language(I watch both) I've spoken to many people on my messangers and I've heard nothing but "This dub is horrible" and when asked why, they can never give me a conclusive answer, but yet they have to be right. - Some dubs are bad, I'll give them that, but it boggles my mind how people can be so closed minded.

"Thye changed the music to crap!" - If you're speaking about the opening themes of some shows Yeah they do that(most notably Funimation) other than that I don't really recall seeing anything edited.

"The dialogue is full bad puns and lame jokes!" - Wrong again: They're full of the same Jokes which have been either changed to make sense, or replaced by another joke because that joke would not make sense - The people who complain about bad jokes overanalyze things

"They won't release uncut DVDs!" - Unless I've seen something that says "As Seen on TV" I usually assume it's uncut(at least I think so anyway)

"They edit every little thing out!" - Also Not True: That's the TV Station's doing, IE: When fox Kids got a hold of Escaflowne and edited it to all heck even though it was already dubbed prior to it's release.

"Just because it's a cartoon, doesn't make it for kids - Absolutely not: To us, this is a passion and I think that's why we're all here. - I love Anime, you love anime, we all love anime here.

Point is: regardless of what we like, we all love anime

(I've written an Essay on this as well (which is a good read or so I've been told) so if anyone wants to see that, just ask

As For One Piece - It was nabbed by 4Kids - all hope is lost
    - Nova
    Last edited by NovaStar; 03-01-2007 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Adding Something about One Peice

Didn't know it's so easy Mugetsu has a reputation beyond repute Mugetsu has a reputation beyond repute Mugetsu has a reputation beyond repute Mugetsu has a reputation beyond repute Mugetsu has a reputation beyond repute Mugetsu has a reputation beyond repute Mugetsu has a reputation beyond repute Mugetsu has a reputation beyond repute Mugetsu has a reputation beyond repute Mugetsu has a reputation beyond repute Mugetsu has a reputation beyond repute Mugetsu's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-14-2007 04:30 PM
    Threads

Of course it should be. I can't understand Japanese so if there were no dubs (and I didnt havea subtitled copy) I would have no idea what was going on and lose interest. Also, having to rewind the tape/dvd because you missed some of the action while reading he dialogue can be annoying. Not all dubs are bad....just most that I've seen.

Sig By "The Notorious M.A.C."
    He pwns your souls!!!

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."
    - Timo Cruz in "Coach Carter" (2005)

Senior Member ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-14-2024 08:26 PM
    Threads

I don't understand Korean but Korean is my favorite language in which I watch anime in a different language. Mostly because a lot of times from what I've seen, they've gotten voice actors that sound like the original Japanese ones. Plus, Korean is gramatically similar and somewhat phonetically similar to Korean it can have that faithfulness.

I mostly watch anime or read manga in Chinese just to practice my Chinese, lol.

I remember one of the first animes I watched dubbed (as an anime fan) was Ronin Warriors/Samurai Troopers. Yeah, they changed the names and changed the story but you can still enjoy the awesome action and distinctive art style for the time.

As for Sailor Moon, I can understand editing out the deaths. Even parents in Japan complained about them. Just imagine how American parents would react if Japanese parents did as well. But I thought Sailor Moon was aired in a bad time slot during its initial airing. In my area, it was aired at 9am. I was in 6th grade at the time and I was 2 hours into school! How do you expect to reach a target audience if a majority of them are in school during that time!?

Dragon Ball Z just had bad lines like "I'M GONNA SEND YOU TO THE NEXT DIMENSION!!" That wasn't really Funi's fault. That was Saban's fault. Saban has made the most politically correct works of Japanese TV. Look at what he did to super sentai with Power Rangers. But I guess the fun action out does the ultra terrible acting and all that stuff. But I remember the creator of Kamen Rider was outraged with the Americanization with Masked Rider. He was pissed that they edited out the violence and it just went against what his creation stood for.

Takeuchi-sensei was pleased with the popularity of Sailor Moon in America. Toriyama-sensei is pleased that he's almost made an international hit.
    Check out my anime reviews at: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/users/hajimenojmo[/URL] and http://blog.honeyfeed.fm/

Senior Member Asyuoli is a jewel in the rough Asyuoli is a jewel in the rough Asyuoli is a jewel in the rough Asyuoli's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-05-2007 03:43 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Gold_Roger View Post
    "They edit every little thing out!"

not true

i watched the subbed version of Fruits Basket before i watched the dubbed

when i did watch the dubbed the only thing that changed was a coulpe of jokes (and the voices obviously)

Senior Member buhbibutterfly has a reputation beyond repute buhbibutterfly has a reputation beyond repute buhbibutterfly has a reputation beyond repute buhbibutterfly has a reputation beyond repute buhbibutterfly has a reputation beyond repute buhbibutterfly has a reputation beyond repute buhbibutterfly has a reputation beyond repute buhbibutterfly has a reputation beyond repute buhbibutterfly has a reputation beyond repute buhbibutterfly has a reputation beyond repute buhbibutterfly has a reputation beyond repute buhbibutterfly's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-20-2008 03:28 PM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

should they dubbed it? of course why, some of most favorites are in dubbed...ok maybe i'm just more used to the dubbed for those series but i still love them.

what i hate beyond anything about them is the butchering of the series...the best example of this would be one piece, not only does the choice of voice actors sux big time the chopping and changing and deleting of scenes and objects are just stupid. come on now, even going so far as changing skin tone....

so all in all

dubbing = sure why not go right ahead just don't take a knife and butcher it while you doing it.
    *(`'·.¸(`'·.¸*¤*¸.·'´)¸.´)*
    »~:¤.·º`·.Forever ~ Dreaming.·´º·.¤:~«
    *(¸.·'´(¸.·'´*¤*`'·.¸)`'·.¸)*

>> flew too high and burnt the wings - lost my faith in everything <<

Senior Member Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Pink Ribbon Neko Tv Hello Kitty
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-19-2013 07:45 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I hate dubs. But yes they should be made. Some people just prefer them.

Bring me back!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by edward10 View Post
    I'm looking for episodes that have hungry girls with growling stomachs
    I lol'd at this

Yaoi Extremist sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo has a reputation beyond repute sasunarubishoujo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2007 09:11 PM
    In a magical place where yaoi reigns supreme
    Threads

Not all dubbing is bad. Anime like Fullmetal Alchemist for instance has very good voice actors in my opinion and I perfer the dubbed version over the subbed. Also subtitles can hurt your eyes after a while, especially if it's low quaility.
    Made by Fast as Fire
    I <3 You!

I luv Irish+mac n'cheez NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Second time posting in here, but yeah, I have to give my opinion on this: So For Anyone who's wondering. I wrote a pretty large Essay on Dubs versus Subs(moreoften than not, what went into a dub)

So I'll post it here: I doubt anyone will care, because I mean we all have our opinions: But here's why I respect dubs

Alright, I suppose I should break this down for everyone, seeing as nobody can agree on it - I think however that this will recieve me more flames than positive critique, however I don't believe I care: I'm always up for talking on this subject, no matter whom brings it up, how they bring it up or why they bring it up. For 15 years now, I've been a fan of Japanese Animation, and I've heard both the english language and Japanese Language tracks on many different titles

Including D.N Angel, Nightwalker, Spiral, .Hack Sign, Noir, Angelic Layer, The Saber Mariontte Franchise, S-Cry-Ed, Azumanga Daioh and Tenchi Muyo(to name the VERY few I can think of off of the top of my head.) but it seems, that no matter whom speaks on it, no matter what is said, or no matter what is done, we as anime fans quandry and quarrel about an Anime being bad as a Dub and better as a Sub; I Personally like Both but tend to lean in towards the english dub.

I have a great ammount of respect for the anime industry, I myself am currently trying to get into it in any way possible, though that may not be easy, it's a dream, and damnit I can dream if I want to. One of the most common stories I hear from anime fans in general about why a Sub is better than a Dub is simple, it sticks closely to the Japanese - I think the reason for that is very clear and apparent

The people doing it ARE Japanese, so when it's done in it's original language, it will obviously be the first production of a series. The way I think of an anime, is like a broadway show, on opening night, you have nervous actors wondering "Will this be a hit, or will this be a flop" - Currently, Bandai Entertainment is going through the exact same wonderment and confusion with their recent aquisition of Suzumiya Haruhi No Yuutsu or in English The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi. In my opinion, this is make or break for a company like Bandai, simply because the followers of "Haruhi-Ism" or the fans of the show as it were, will have an absolute fit if this show is not "Done Well" as I have seen many of you say.

I doubt that any of us, as mere fans realize just how much work goes into releasing DVD's for the united states, or making a show "Properly" or "Done well" is concerned, first of all one of the major things I don't think any fan realizes, is that a Dub will never ever be 100 % onto the Japanese, which I believe that alot of hardcore fans are dying to see, but alas for them it shall never happen. I myself, from reading honest interviews from writers, publishers and producers from the anime industry have come to have a new respect for it after realizing, just how much work goes into these DVD's, and English Releases.

both Monica Rial and Tiffany Grant: Famed english voiceovers of many anime series such as Neon Genisis Evangelion Noir and Azumanga Daioh have gone on record in saying just how hard it is to make an english dub - I think us as fans have no right to accuse them of "butchering" a show in any way, when the honest truth is a Dub is one mere thing an Adaptation. it will not be spot on to the Japanese, it will not use the direct subtitled Translations on things to be put into englsh.

The Fact is, many things are dumbed down or changed slightly in anime to appeal to a North American audience, nearly every single one of anime, go through this. It is in my opinion that a show is NOT butchered by an American Dub Studio, but by an American Television Network

Prime example: Back in 1996 Fox Kids(Now Fox Box or "WUHF 31 Fox Rochester": Aquired the rights to Escaflowne, this series is Imfamous as far as what people concern to be a "Poor Dub" - for those of you who do not know, Escaflowne ran for a little under 3 months, not even completeing the show before it was pulled off of the network due to low ratings. in all honesty there are certain things in the show which Exceutives from Fox clearly said the following in my eyes.

"No, we can't do that, our demographic is garnered towards children, what we plan to do with the show is release it, and cut any offensive part out so that children can enjoy the show, watch it on Saturday mornings and not be offended by things they may see"

fast forward to about six months ago, I had purchased the "Vision of Escaflowne Anime Legends Box Set" from Bandai and to my suprise, nothing which was in the show that I saw circa 1996 from Fox Kids, seemed the same for that show, it was completely unedited and it was shown it's in entierty, one of the main things(and I apologize for those of you whom haven't seen Escaflowne) that was not shown due to censorship in america, was the fact that Dillandau was Alan's Sister.

This was a key part of the story, and in my eyes one of the key reasons that Escaflowne didn't take off at all over in the united states, however be that as it may, it is now 11 years later and Escaflowne is still one of the most popular series in anime to be released among hardcore fans of Mech and Fantasy. though this wasn't the only thing which had recieved bad reviews from an adaptation's standpoint.

More Recently the Dubbed Versions of One Piece and Naruto have hit the airwaves and both of them again were considered "Butchered" by the fans there's no doubt that aspects of the show were changed, especially in the case of One Piece but again, this problem falls to the network which is broadcasting the show, and not the company whom made it: Mind you, in One Peice's case it was dubbed by a company known as "4Kids" - and in my eyes, the name of that company shall tell you exactly what they do with their Anime they bring over to North America.

4Kids first major Release was back in early 1996 when it hit the airwaves with the giant phenom from Japan(That's right) The Pokemon Virus had begun to spread, and the kids(myself included) at the time, had been swept into the giant conglomerate which was Pokemon
    all at the head of this giant marketing scheme was: You guessed it: 4Kids - Any Dub released by 4Kids will be badly done, simply because unless it was already aimed towards children, it will be sawed in half and juliened to automatically make it appeal towards children(Gum Gum Fruit for example in One Piece) I do not, and have not considered 4Kids an Anime company, because I believe as much as probably all of you do, that 4Kids is a company, which takes Anime(Such as One Piece) and turns them into westernized style cartoon's) even though Anime Stores Online DO sell the DVD's of it.

Another company for example, which is based out of Fort Worth Texas which has gotten(Somewhat) of a bad reputation is Funimation Ltd. commenly known for it's aquistion of Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball Frachise which to this day is still being released in box set after remastered boxset after remastered boxset. I don't see what everyone's gripe was with Dragon Ball - to be honest for it's time AND for it's editing, it did an extremely good job after it was brought over to the united states, I know personally that the Dragon Ball Franchise is something I remembered growing up and it was the first time I ever worried "Will my Favorite Character Die Tonight?"

The Fact is, Funimation has released SEVERAL good Anime series onto DVD which are overlooked because the company which did it was plagued by one "Bad"(And I use that in quotes because in my eyes I do not believe it was at all) Series. Two shows for example that come directly to mind when thinking about Funimation and a Solid release for an Anime series have been Gunslinger Girl and Kiddy Grade both of which were dubbed and released by Funimation over the last two years.

Quite Abit goes into creating an English Release for an Anime: for example: you will literally see Thousands of Anime fans in the Dallas Area looking in the paper or looking on a website to find out when ADV Films will be doing it's next Casting Call for a show first of all, be prepared for a long wait, ADV's Callback list stretches for over 2 years, so be prepared for example, if you go into a studio and do a sample(Unless they say, "You are perfect for this role and we need to look no further, which rarely happens) This year: to wait from 2007 to 2009 before you'll get a call.

Also: A Common misconception is the pay for Voiceovers: They're not as rich as you think they are, truth be told Anime in North America is not NEARLY as popular as it is in Japan, There is something called the North American Actor's Guild, which is basically a corperate conglomerate which sanction's pay(Currently, as of Nebraskon 2007) The Going Rate of Voice Actors(In Anime) According to Tiffany Grant(Whom has been a VA Since 1994) is 65.00(American).

Now you may think that this is quite abit of money for only an hour's work(but literally, you are only doing about 5 hours of work Per Month(Not Per Day, Not Per Week) Per MONTH, so let us add up that you are only making $325.00 A Month(Which contrary to most anime fan's belief's of "VA's Must be Rich): You can not live off of and will need a second job.

To my Knowledge: Tiffany Grant Also Sells Real Estate, so there you have it, moving along! I find it amazing Alone: Just how much work as I said earlier, goes into making a series

First you have the Casting Call(Which if you are in the Dallas Area and are an Anime Fan, is Kinda like American Idol, you'll go in, do a sample for them, and leave) Or: If you're fortunate enough to have the money, simply do a Demotape(Which can cost upwards of $1000 to be done professionally) Then, if you are lucky enough, and ONLY if you are lucky enough

Do you get to be in a Studio, you will then work on something known as Foley(Things like, Gunshots, Footsteps on the Ground) and other various sound effects, which have to be done right in order to make a series believeable(Not many shows from pre 2000 have Good Foley which honestly: takes away from the whole atmosphere)

After That: You will begin recording your line's, and if you're working with Monica Rial, hear ALOT of the word "Crap!" on your outtakes section of your DVD's(if I knew Monica she'd hit me for that one)

all and all: it takes several months to release the DVD's of something(An Interesting conversation was had between myself and Tryco about the slowness of the release of "Solty Rei" - an older title which just got liscenced by Funimation it could even take several years, as knowing most companies there will be a few snags on the product line or even sometimes on a deadline for a product to come out.

Prime Examples of this would be about 10 months ago when the HIGHLY anticipated release of "Final Fantasy: Advent Children" was FINALLY finished after about 6 rollbacks of dates due to incompletion. However, I having seen the finished product honestly believe it is worth the wait.

As I have said before I've been a fan of Anime for 15 years - I'm not saying that makes me more of an authority to speak on something than someone else, what I am saying is I probably have seen alot more than someone whom was starting say oh, only a year ago(Mind you my experience includes what I saw on TV BEFORE I got into collecting).

From what I've seen, alot of people in the Anime World can let you know five roles of these following people

Megumi Hashiyabara
    Aya Hisakawa
    Maaya Sakamoto
    Chisa Yokoyama
    Houko Kuwashima

knowing these roles being huge Sub Fans( and I know many whom can list off the top of their head, the roles that these ladies have
    done)

Yet for those of you whom have not seen a Dub or refuse to because of the lack of keeping to the Japanese

I defy you for me (WITHOUT using Wikipedia) To list me Five Roles of the following

Tiffany Grant
    Monica Rial
    Christopher Patton
    Wendee Lee
    Or Greg Ayers

If you can't do it, I don't blame you at all: It's extremely hard: But that to me shows me just how imballanced the watching of the Dub is compared to the Sub in my honest opinion.

For those of you whom were discouraged by "What it takes to get into the business" from above: Fear Not

Greg Ayers for Example was and Still IS: A huge Anime Fan and himself admits to getting in a car and driving quite a long distants just to hear Rachael Lillis(Misty from Pokemon Fame) Sing the Jigglypuff Song(For whom she also did the voice)

Still not Convinced? Mandy Clark or Tomo Takino from the Azumanga Daioh series: Was Originally a Fan Dubber before she got into the prospect of doing Voice Acting in Dallas Texas for ADV Films. - these two are like a shining beacon of hope for a regular run of the mill anime fan who aspires to be a voiceover in their favorite shows, so while it may be hard, it is not impossible so don't give up.

I hope now, that after reading this you will realize that it is not the "Show" or the English Language Track which butchers the show

but the network which does it. as a good 95 % of DVD's which are released are uncut and unedited unless it says "as seen on(Name of Network here)

So if you're bored? go out, pick up a DVD and Give a Dub a Chance.

Thank you for taking the time to read this! ^_^

For those of you wondering? - I was extremely bored when I wrote this and did research on it

Serenith's pet Crocodile Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2010 03:37 PM
    Threads

You want to know why they edit out all the graphic stuff that some people like in Anime when they're dubbed in english? Because they people in America that are most likely going to watch it are the younger people, and they want to avoid trouble with parents.
    Sig by -Ookami-, thank you Ookami!

Elder Scrolls Oblivion: A Tale Retold

http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?t=94454

Senior Member Haibara is a jewel in the rough Haibara is a jewel in the rough Haibara is a jewel in the rough Haibara's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2007 10:35 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiro Matsuchani View Post
    You want to know why they edit out all the graphic stuff that some people like in Anime when they're dubbed in english? Because they people in America that are most likely going to watch it are the younger people, and they want to avoid trouble with parents.
    I hate it when that happens, I think that is why they stoped showing Escaflowne a few years ago on Fox Kids. The only dubbs I can't stand are the ones that are dubbed so they are more suitable for kids.

Serenith's pet Crocodile Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani has a reputation beyond repute Ichiro Matsuchani's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2010 03:37 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Haibara View Post
    I hate it when that happens, I think that is why they stoped showing Escaflowne a few years ago on Fox Kids. The only dubbs I can't stand are the ones that are dubbed so they are more suitable for kids.
    Unfortunately, that's mostly all of them.
    Sig by -Ookami-, thank you Ookami!

Elder Scrolls Oblivion: A Tale Retold

http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?t=94454

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

True. One of the many reasons why anime is edited is so that the companies can make it more appropriate for children (Dragonball Z, Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc) and usually because they think they will make more money from merchandise (and its true; who else besides kids eat Yu-Gi-Oh cereal?).

Anyway, I believe that anime should be dubbed. Although some people screw up the editing, not all of them are bad (except the earlier anime like Sailor Moon and Dragonball Z. That was awful). I can understand Japanese, so I don't have a problem with listening without subtitles. However, I would rather hear it in my native language...which would be English. Many jokes have to be changed because you would not understand. Most anime do not give full explanations of why characters do certain things or are given certain names. Since the show was originally in Japan, they assume you already know what they are talking about. Once in America (or any other country, for that matter), the jokes must change to suit the audience, but may lose their purpose.

So, although some dubbed anime can be worse than their original Japanese versions, you may have to stick with them to understand everything that is going on....or study REALLY hard to understand Japanese, because even subtitles can be misleading....especially fansubs.
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

Senior Member buhbibutterfly has a reputation beyond repute buhbibutterfly has a reputation beyond repute buhbibutterfly has a reputation beyond repute buhbibutterfly has a reputation beyond repute buhbibutterfly has a reputation beyond repute buhbibutterfly has a reputation beyond repute buhbibutterfly has a reputation beyond repute buhbibutterfly has a reputation beyond repute buhbibutterfly has a reputation beyond repute buhbibutterfly has a reputation beyond repute buhbibutterfly has a reputation beyond repute buhbibutterfly's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

well i still say that the show -- one piece was absolutely butchered. yes i realize that not all dubs are bad. depending on how i heard it first is which of the 2 i would probably like of the series. best example is slayers series. I love this series dubbed even if it was played by megumi in subbed. however since i'm used to hearing it dubbed i like that version better.

back to one piece dubbed. I hate how 4kids got the liscensed for this. there are plenty of kid shows out there if they wanted to get something to show but i still believe they should never have gotten this one. with all the things they did to it, cutting out loads of episodes, editting out scenes and taking out things from scenes they just made it one of the most horrible shows ever in anime history. at least that's what i believe. Also, sanji voice...no matter, they could have gotten a better voice....have they seen the original before casting his role....it doesn't seem like it....his whole image change with that ghetto accent they gave him.

-----

i probably should stop this now.... but yes i know they're alot that goes into producing a series and i know it can't be 100 &#37; perfect, and i get that Japan is more accepting of what they play on their tv's and what kid's see but i still don't like the changes in anime's where i know that there's been changes....i feel the same way sometimes 'bout when an manga is made to an anime and one of my favorite parts don't show up in the anime cuz it's been taken out....

--------

tiffany grant - chocolate - socerer hunter
    monica rial - momiji - blue seed ova - although i think i like amanda lee better in the series
    christopher patton - shin area 88 and sasame pretear
    wendee lee - kiyone from tenchi
    greg aryes - 2nd place - supergals....
    Last edited by buhbibutterfly; 03-01-2007 at 11:30 PM.

Gil
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by buhbibutterfly View Post
    well i still say that the show -- one piece was absolutely butchered. yes i realize that not all dubs are bad. depending on how i heard it first is which of the 2 i would probably like of the series. best example is slayers series. I love this series dubbed even if it was played by megumi in subbed. however since i'm used to hearing it dubbed i like that version better.

back to one piece dubbed. I hate how 4kids got the liscensed for this. there are plenty of kid shows out there if they wanted to get something to show but i still believe they should never have gotten this one. with all the things they did to it, cutting out loads of episodes, editting out scenes and taking out things from scenes they just made it one of the most horrible shows ever in anime history. at least that's what i believe. Also, sanji voice...no matter, they could have gotten a better voice....have they seen the original before casting his role....it doesn't seem like it....his whole image change with that ghetto accent they gave him.

-----

i probably should stop this now.... but yes i know they're alot that goes into producing a series and i know it can't be 100 % perfect, and i get that Japan is more accepting of what they play on their tv's and what kid's see but i still don't like the changes in anime's where i know that there's been changes....i feel the same way sometimes 'bout when an manga is made to an anime and one of my favorite parts don't show up in the anime cuz it's been taken out....

--------

tiffany grant - chocolate - socerer hunter
    monica rial - momiji - blue seed ova - although i think i like amanda lee better in the series
    christopher patton - shin area 88 and sasame pretear
    wendee lee - kiyone from tenchi
    greg aryes - 2nd place - supergals....
    ^_^ That wasn't meant to flame, only inform - I agree with you on One Piece is bad.
    VERY Bad as far as dubs go

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by NovaStar View Post
    ^_^ That wasn't meant to flame, only inform - I agree with you on One Piece is bad.
    VERY Bad as far as dubs go
    yea i know...but i just thought i'd add that in...since i was just gonna answer your list...but that would have been too short....i do agree...there are some good ones that i like

TANSTAAFL elfenstein has a reputation beyond repute elfenstein has a reputation beyond repute elfenstein has a reputation beyond repute elfenstein has a reputation beyond repute elfenstein has a reputation beyond repute elfenstein has a reputation beyond repute elfenstein has a reputation beyond repute elfenstein has a reputation beyond repute elfenstein has a reputation beyond repute elfenstein has a reputation beyond repute elfenstein has a reputation beyond repute elfenstein's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-23-2007 10:41 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Well, if you complain about the english dubs, you should listen to the german ones sometimes.

Somehow, over here, they can dub movies and television easily with a good quality. But if it comes to Anime (and Videogames btw.) there are often used voice "talents" who can never have seen a microphone close up before. Not always though, some are even quite tolerable, and the german dub of "Mononoke Hime" is at least as good as the japanese one, if not even better.

But good or bad dub, that's what DVDs are for. I never buy a DVD (regardless of anime or other things) where the original language track is not included (with english or german subtitles if it's a language I don't understand, of course).

Have fun,
    Elfenstein.

Millicent Blanche dream magician has a reputation beyond repute dream magician has a reputation beyond repute dream magician has a reputation beyond repute dream magician has a reputation beyond repute dream magician has a reputation beyond repute dream magician has a reputation beyond repute dream magician has a reputation beyond repute dream magician has a reputation beyond repute dream magician has a reputation beyond repute dream magician has a reputation beyond repute dream magician has a reputation beyond repute dream magician's Avatar
    Gil
    Cool
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-04-2012 02:13 AM
    Underneath the night sky gazing at the moon and the shining stars sitting in a cliff above the ocean
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I totally think they should be dubbed either in japanese or in our language,I would not understand if there are no voices coming from them,It would be so horrible!

Closed Thread

Thread Information