AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there such a thing as being too much of an otaku???

Junior Member hcsurfer25 is just really nice hcsurfer25 is just really nice hcsurfer25 is just really nice hcsurfer25 is just really nice hcsurfer25's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-24-2007 08:32 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Is there such a thing as being too much of an otaku???

Its me again.

This question has been bothering me a bit. I wonder if this might scare some people? IF it does, well I can't do anything about it, cause thats the way I am. Just curious though....

I am 25yrs old. Have been watching anime ( and being a fan of it) for about 23yrs. now. Started watching in the Philippenes where I was born .
    Don't really remember much though. too young. Picked it back up when I came to the states. Started with Sailor moon, akira, ninja scroll, voltron, speed racer.... mind you this is when anime was for sale on vhs in big time stores!!! Yeah, I know, I am old. Don't remind me!

Anyways, I listen to alot of japanese music. Sound tracks and normal jap bands. I go to convetions when I can, I buy everything I watch. I don't do downloads, prefer going out to buy it, its more fun! My collection is up to like 650 dvds? And 100 vhs's..... I have two big shoulder tats of FLCL, one of my all time favs.... Have a really big obsession with the orient (the people, culture, and just the place it self!) I joined the military just soo I can go to japan someday!!! I will be going there next year as a matter of fact! Can't wait!! I hope to have a love life like in the anime's (or meet someone the way they do in the shows or just meet someone that is into it as much as me!!!!!) Is that too much to ask!?!?!?

Bottom line..... is there something seriously wrong with me? Is there anyone out there that has a similar life style or obssesion? Somebody please tell me that this is normal!!! I was just curious of others out look of this topic. I am still going to keep watching what I love, regardless the consequences.... I will be a kid for life. I look forward to having kids, soo I can have an excuse to watch cartoons and pass on my legacy!

Thank you all for your time.

Her nickname at age 11. Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2010 05:44 PM
    Threads

Uh.... I'm not sure.... There could be a little too much of an obsession...

Didn't know it's so easy Mugetsu has a reputation beyond repute Mugetsu has a reputation beyond repute Mugetsu has a reputation beyond repute Mugetsu has a reputation beyond repute Mugetsu has a reputation beyond repute Mugetsu has a reputation beyond repute Mugetsu has a reputation beyond repute Mugetsu has a reputation beyond repute Mugetsu has a reputation beyond repute Mugetsu has a reputation beyond repute Mugetsu has a reputation beyond repute Mugetsu's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-14-2007 04:30 PM
    Threads

Is there something wrong with most Trekies or Jedis (Star Wars fans)? As long as anime is a part of your life and not he entire thing I think you'll be ok. People get tats of Papa Smurf so I don't seen an FLCL tat or 2 as a big deal. As far as liking the culture goes, I don't see anything wrong with it. People study obsessively (language, history, art) for a trip to France. So your wanting to go to Japan is reasonable. I just hope your not one of those people who believe that Japan is some kind of a perfect society that is there only to make anime & electronic devices.

I don't see anything "wrong" with you from your statement. However, I am concerned that you may be turning into a cartoon based on your picture lol.

Yes, I said cartoon....what!?!?

Sig By "The Notorious M.A.C."
    He pwns your souls!!!

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."
    - Timo Cruz in "Coach Carter" (2005)

Stick Master unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun has a reputation beyond repute unspun's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-12-2010 02:51 PM
    Threads

haha hey I have a moogle tat on my arm if it makes you feel better. All I do is watch anime and play video games, though my collection isn't as big as yours *yet*, anyways, nah, you're good. Atleast in my opinion.

Get crazy with the cheezwiz

[I like cookies & beer]

SPQR Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2009 08:57 PM
    Threads

So you're passionate about it. So what? You still have a "life" (I use that loosely as most losers will use that in a weak argument) and support yourself and hell, you're in the military, so you've apparently go other things going for you.

Tell you what, if you were 25 and living in mommy's basement, hardly paying for rent, and made hand party time over hentai, then I'd say you have a problem.

But the more pressing question is this:

How the hell are you able to go to Japan so soon? How come I can't do that? Let me guess, you're in the friggin Navy aren't you?

Senior Member -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman-'s Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2011 04:41 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Sagat View Post
    Tell you what, if you were 25 and living in mommy's basement, hardly paying for rent, and made hand party time over hentai, then I'd say you have a problem.
    This comment reminds me of .

Anyway, to answer the question...Yes.

Too much of ANYTHING is a bad thing. Then again, some of the best things in life are bad for you.

SPQR Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by -Deadpool- View Post
    This comment reminds me of .

Anyway, to answer the question...Yes.

Too much of ANYTHING is a bad thing. Then again, some of the best things in life are bad for you.
    Oh good god man I was laughing out loud for a good minute after watching that

Senior Member sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m's Avatar
    Gil
    Yeehaw
    Gifts Ariel Fox Snowman
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-15-2019 01:15 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: pppascal

Being an otaku becomes too big of an obsession as soon as you reach over 30. I mean, there ARE other things to life! ^^; Like family, your love life, work, etc.

Senior Member Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Present Bomb Aquarius
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2014 05:45 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Yeah, I hate those obsessive otakus who do everything Anime/japan related and say their gonna marry a japanese guy and move there and all that crap.
    Otaku's in general annoy me, they need to go outside.

ein, zwei, drei, vier bin endlich weg von Dir
    fünf, sechs, sieben, acht Du hast jetzt keine Macht

Heartless Pirate Zyco has a reputation beyond repute Zyco has a reputation beyond repute Zyco has a reputation beyond repute Zyco has a reputation beyond repute Zyco has a reputation beyond repute Zyco has a reputation beyond repute Zyco has a reputation beyond repute Zyco has a reputation beyond repute Zyco has a reputation beyond repute Zyco has a reputation beyond repute Zyco has a reputation beyond repute Zyco's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-11-2007 02:48 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: hah i wish

I don't see a problem in this obsession......If other people think it's a problem and that otakus suck at your age......well let them think what they want to think. I'm not an otaku myself though.....but yes I do think that you should be an otaku in your spare time. No otaku is not bad.....that's my opinion. (I just hope I don't turn into one myself)
    Come at me......I'll be more than happy to take you on

███ ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-07-2008 08:45 AM
    Threads

It depends, are you concerned with society? If you are doing your own thing then who cares.
    ████████████

Senior Member ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-14-2024 08:26 PM
    Threads

Yeah, some people who play MMORPGs are so obbsessed that those that have kids leave them alone in car to die of heat. Never heard of anime fans being obbsessed to this point.
    Check out my anime reviews at: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/users/hajimenojmo[/URL] and http://blog.honeyfeed.fm/

Broken Spirit and poet BlazingSoul has a reputation beyond repute BlazingSoul has a reputation beyond repute BlazingSoul has a reputation beyond repute BlazingSoul has a reputation beyond repute BlazingSoul has a reputation beyond repute BlazingSoul has a reputation beyond repute BlazingSoul has a reputation beyond repute BlazingSoul has a reputation beyond repute BlazingSoul has a reputation beyond repute BlazingSoul has a reputation beyond repute BlazingSoul has a reputation beyond repute BlazingSoul's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-21-2012 10:34 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

That totally depends on the view of the person. If a person thinks so then yes. But if another said no then no. Views vary from one person to another so there's no deffinite answer unless you think so yourself.
    "As the blood starts to boil, the flow of crimson splendor will act like a flood" ~R

Senior Member Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro has a reputation beyond repute Koshiro's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-01-2008 12:29 AM
    Threads

There is nothing wrong with being a big time otaku. So what if you buy all the stuff, listen to the music, watch all the show's and reflect on the culture? Is it any different from a big time football or baseball fan or a video game or an art fan? It's the same thing, your just expressing your love for your hobby or lifestyle. (Trust me, I have some friends and family who, honestly, scare me during a NFL game)

As for myself, I am also a big time otaku. Everyday at school i'm wearing a different anime T-Shirt (mostly Naruto shirts right now because that's all thats available in my area -_-) and sometimes my Bleach wristband and glove. My room is filled with anime DVD's, game's, figurine's and accessories (I even purchased a kendo stick). Not to mention I have a good number of soundtrack's as well. Also, when me and my friend's have a conversation, normally over 50% of the time it's about anime/marvel-dc/game's/etc. Then their's the fact I normally go to the Duelist League (yeah, the Yu-Gi-Oh! thing) about once every one or two month's. Oh, and just to top it off, i've already began developing an anime club for the college I am going to attend next semester.

So in conclusion, their is nothing wrong with you, you just like what you like and no one else's opnion should matter. Trust me, i've tried being what other's want me to be before and my life not only began to suck, but became overwhelmingly boring. The point being is you should live your life how you want and you alone. By the way, don't call yourself a kid just because you like anime, it is an interest and a hobby and thus is not relative to your age in any way.
    Last edited by Koshiro; 05-02-2007 at 12:58 PM.
    Fight cruelty with kindness and hatred with love. If you can do that, you are undefeatable.

I want to take off your blindfolds you have grown so accustomed to to show you the people who love you and the good world you seek have been with you the whole time.

10/31/07 Koshiro discovers that making blogs are fun. ^_^

Junior Member hcsurfer25 is just really nice hcsurfer25 is just really nice hcsurfer25 is just really nice hcsurfer25 is just really nice hcsurfer25's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

But the more pressing question is this:

How the hell are you able to go to Japan so soon? How come I can't do that? Let me guess, you're in the friggin Navy aren't you?[/quote]

The answer to that question is, yes, I am in the navy. Picked that branch so I can be near the ocean.

I am not going to be stationed in japan for at least another year and a half. But, one of the benefits of the military.... they have their own airline, which military members can fly for free on. So long as you have the time! Also, they have hotels all over the world! Really cheap!

Soooo yeah, not to rub it in.... I am going next year. I will have a month of leave saved up, and I am outta cali for awhile!

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by hcsurfer25 View Post
    The answer to that question is, yes, I am in the navy. Picked that branch so I can be near the ocean.

I am not going to be stationed in japan for at least another year and a half. But, one of the benefits of the military.... they have their own airline, which military members can fly for free on. So long as you have the time! Also, they have hotels all over the world! Really cheap!

Soooo yeah, not to rub it in.... I am going next year. I will have a month of leave saved up, and I am outta cali for awhile! :rolleyes
    Just makes me even more bitter to be wearing the green. At least you guys have a base in Japan though.

Banned Forum / Chat hireshi is a glorious beacon of light hireshi is a glorious beacon of light hireshi is a glorious beacon of light hireshi is a glorious beacon of light hireshi is a glorious beacon of light hireshi's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-23-2007 08:52 AM
    Threads

Being too much? When you get addicted then you're an Otaku. I've never heard of people getting to addicted of something, then it's more likely called obsessed as if nothing else matters in life. Then it has only gone too far :/

This is my AWESOME face! Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-17-2009 06:54 PM
    Threads

Yes. Yes there is. The guy in the left hand side of this picture proves it.

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go clean my eyes. With bleach.
    The Tao of Rayne - Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience...if that fails, try something in the dairy variety.

Senior Member pab has a reputation beyond repute pab has a reputation beyond repute pab has a reputation beyond repute pab has a reputation beyond repute pab has a reputation beyond repute pab has a reputation beyond repute pab has a reputation beyond repute pab has a reputation beyond repute pab has a reputation beyond repute pab has a reputation beyond repute pab has a reputation beyond repute pab's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-04-2010 01:23 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Strife View Post
    ...Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go clean my eyes. With bleach.
    man its been like five mins and i still cant stop laughing
    man, sieze your life your own way.
    just as long as its a hobby, not your main goal in life.
    remember... a hobby... not a mission, nor a carreer.
    besides that. noone can change you. its up to you. you shoud lay off and reconcider when you realize for your self and ask yourself if you are overdoing it.
    i think i make sense.
    i hope i do.
    but remember to enjoy life in every way possible.
    hope it works, and that you fall in love over in japan, and get married...
    ... and then you can write a manga or anime inspired by your story... and so on...

This is my AWESOME face! Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-17-2009 06:54 PM
    Threads

That actually made very little sence, as I have no idea what caused you to say that...
    The Tao of Rayne - Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience...if that fails, try something in the dairy variety.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Strife View Post
    Yes. Yes there is. The guy in the left hand side of this picture proves it.

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go clean my eyes. With bleach.
    O.k.....yeah...... That is alittle disturbing.....I take that back, that is really disturbing! I think I am going to go hang myself right now. Ummmm, thanks for the reply.... I guess?

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by pab View Post
    man its been like five mins and i still cant stop laughing
    man, sieze your life your own way.
    just as long as its a hobby, not your main goal in life.
    remember... a hobby... not a mission, nor a carreer.
    besides that. noone can change you. its up to you. you shoud lay off and reconcider when you realize for your self and ask yourself if you are overdoing it.
    i think i make sense.
    i hope i do.
    but remember to enjoy life in every way possible.
    hope it works, and that you fall in love over in japan, and get married...
    ... and then you can write a manga or anime inspired by your story... and so on...
    Make a manga or anime of my life story huh? I don't think anyone would watch it? My life is kinda dull.... getting anime tats, surfing, slaving for the government, and watching anime...... Kinda boring if I do say so myself.

No, I haven' t made it my career, or my whole life. I just joined the service to take advantage of the travel. That and the free meals from civilans that think I am awesome in uniform! Ha! Ha! Kinda kiddin! Thanks for the reply!

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Sagat View Post
    Just makes me even more bitter to be wearing the green. At least you guys have a base in Japan though.
    Can't help that we are awesome and well....your not? What branch are you in, if you are in? Actually we don't have are "own" base in japan.... we kinda work for the marines and army. I am a seabee.
    Well, if you count guam as one, then yeah, we have are own. Mostly borrowing off others. You can blame uncle sam for that one!

Top Gun bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-10-2010 08:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hcsurfer25 View Post

Soooo yeah, not to rub it in.... I am going next year. I will have a month of leave saved up, and I am outta cali for awhile!
    :twitches uncomfortably:

I've been trying to enlist fot 3 years. I'm a US national, scored 95 on my latest ASVAB, in physically good shape, and am more than willing to sample the actual dirty work of military service. I can't even get into the Guard....

ahem, well to answer the question, I look at it in about the same way I look at... people who play D&D or WoW. If you're referring to yourself as an "otaku" instead of just saying "anime fan" it crosses into territory that I'd not want to tred for myself.
    Last edited by bakakame; 05-05-2007 at 12:38 AM.

Senior Member D-man has much to be proud of D-man has much to be proud of D-man has much to be proud of D-man has much to be proud of D-man has much to be proud of D-man has much to be proud of D-man has much to be proud of D-man has much to be proud of D-man has much to be proud of D-man's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-12-2014 11:26 PM
    Threads

i dont think it is bad i mean ya you have a lot of anime but that just means you have been watching it for a long time and if you look at other people that dont watch anime (well most of them anyways) will have the same or more reguler movies. as long as you are not skipping eating or going to the bathroom in melk jugs or somthing like that. that i say it is ok. just as long as you get out every few days or somthing. ya know
    I know all and I see all, I just don't tell all.

Closed Thread

Thread Information