AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: An attempt to translate"Right Light Rise" by Kanon Wakeshima

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Gifts Kill Bill Katana Compass
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-25-2019 07:34 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default An attempt to translate"Right Light Rise" by Kanon Wakeshima

This is my attempt to translate "Right Light Rise" I am sure there are a ton of errors but making errors is the best way to learn.

This is a video with lyrics to compare to:

Here is the transliteration on this site:
    http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/dan...tlightrise.htm

EDIT: Suggested changes will be in teal with old text struck out

RIGHT LIGHT RISE
    by Kanon Wakeshima

ボクの見てた一人分の景色の中 君の色があたりまえになる

boku no miteta hitori bun' no keishiki no naka kimi no iro ga atarimae ni naru

Within my portion of the scenery that I was seeing Your appearance has become the commonplace

知らなかった心地いい距離や くだらない意地の張り合い

shiranakatta kokochi ii kyouri ya kudaranai iji no hariai

A comfortable distance I didn't know and competitions of worthless pride

ほらまたすぐに笑い合えてる

hora mata suguni waraiaeteru

Look, we are smiling together again
    Look, we are able to smile at each other again

日常を重ね合って行く 途切れず強くなって行く

nichijou wo kasaneatte iku tougirezu tsuyoku natte iku

Superimposed we go through daily life together, Without pause we go to become strong

ボクの心はきっと君の半分が満たすんだ ぴったりと

boku no kokoro wa kitto kimi no han'bun' ga mitasun'da pittarito

Undoubtedly half of you fills my heart completely!

Okay, This last line is the first part that really bugs me with my own translation. Half of you fills my heart doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe by "kimi no han'bun' " she means their half of them as a couple? If so, I could retranslate this as "your half of us fills my heart completely." That makes more sense to me.

もっと寄り添って生きて行こう

motto yorisotte ikite ikou

Let's snuggle some more and go live
    Let's go live more close to each other
    Okay this part really bugs me. And after listening to the song a hundred times I think I finally figured out why. At 1:10 in the video I noticed that Ms Wakeshima DOES NOT sings "motto yorisotte ikite ikou" but rather "motte yorisotte ikitaika" which is different than the official kanji lyrics. Assuming she did say "ikitaika" this can be translated as either "生きたいか / do you want to live" or as "行きたいか / do you want to go?" Based on the context up to here I am assuming the latter.

If so, this fixes many of my issues in translating this song. For this verse, for example, I could translate it as "Do you want us to go stuggle some more?" Which makes way more sense.

ボク等なんだか似てるね

bokura nan'daka niteru ne

We sorta resemble (each other) don't we

頼りないとこも 補ってちょうどいいとこも

tayorinai tokomo oginatte choudo ii tokomo

In an unreliable place and in a compensated just right place
    the places that I can't be relied on, are precisely the places you make up for

ちゃんと向き合って 生きて行こう

chan'to mukiatte ikite ikou

Properly facing each other Let's go live
    Let's go live properly contrasting each other

Same issue here as above. At the 1:28 mark she says "ikitaika" not "ikite ikou." This changes the translation to "Do you want us to go to properly face each other?" Which sounds much less awkward.

It also makes the lyrics before it make way more sense too. In an unreliable place, in a well compensated place? It makes more sense if she is asking about facing each other in those places. Otherwise it sounds out of place.

Speaking of which, "a well compensated place" sounds wrong to me. Is there a better translation? Maybe "well maintained place?" I would greatly appreciate any suggestions

偶然の引力は

guuzen' no in'ryoku wa

As for chance's attraction
    A chance attraction

神様だって予測できない 必然を示してるんだ

kamisama datte yosoku dekinai hitsuzen o shimeshiteru n'da

We show that it is an inevitability not even god could predict
    shows an inevitability not even god could predict

I am translating "datte" as the abreviated form of "to wa itte mo" or "even if it were..."

ボクのピースは 不完全な形をしてて

boku no piisu wa fukazen' na katachi wo shitete

As for my peace, They say it is taking on an imperfect shape

脆くて弱い そんなものだろうね

morokute yowai son'na mono darou ne

Brittle and weak, Its that kinda thing huh?

出会ったこれまでの選択を 「間違いじゃない」って言ってくれた

deatta kore made no takusen o "machigai janai" tte ittekureta

You said for me that the choice leading up to this chance encounter "is not a mistake"

This last verse gave me a bit of trouble due to the "tte" followed by another "itte." According to what I have learned "tte" is short hand for "to iu" which is used to quote a person and can be translated as "I/you/he/she/they say." So I would think that "tte ittekureta" would be translated more or less as "you said (as a favor to me) that you said" which just sounds awkward. It would be "You said, for me, that you said that the choice leading up to this chance encounter "is not a mistake." However, if I am remembering correctly tte can mean more than just "to iu" or less. So I translated the "tte" here as a simple "to." If this is wrong I will change it.

今君の声が追い風に響く ゆっくりと

ima kimi no koe ga oikaze ni hibiku yukkuri to

Now, like chased wind, your voice reverberates slowly
    Now, in the fair winds, your voice reverberates slowly

もっと寄り添って 生きて行こう

moto yorisotte ikite ikou

Again, at 2:23 it REALLY does sound like she is saying "ikitaika"

ボク等なんだか似てるね

落ち込む癖も すぐ立ち直って顔を上げるとこも

ochikomu kusemo sugu tachi naotte kao o ageru tokomo

Falling into habbit again, Soon we recover and are in a place we can raise our faces again
    Despite being depressed again, soon we recover and are where we can raise our faces again

ちゃんと向き合って 生きて行こう

Chan'to mukiatte ikite ikou

Properly facing each other let's go live

again this time at 2:40 sounds like she is saying "ikitaika"

お互いの引力は

otagai no in'ryoku wa

As for our mutal attraction,
    Our mutual attraction

神様だって不可能な 可能性を含んでるんだ

kamisama datte fukanou na kanousei wo fukun'deru n'da

It contains a "impossible even if it was god" possibility

This sounds awkward, but I think the translation is correct. The next part is in English.

Raise right
    Lower left
    And both up
    Shake it right to left,
    So more
    Lower right
    Keep left
    And both down
    Let's try it more quickly

Raise right
    Lower left
    And both up
    Clap your hands
    You are not wrong!
    Both up
    Both down
    And shake right
    More shake left
    Keep both and slow them down

日常を重ね合って行く 途切れず強くなって行く

nichijou wo kasane atte iku togirezu tsuyoku natte iku

Superimposed we go through daily life together, Without pause we go to become strong

君の心をそっとボクの半分が満たすんだ ぴったりと ぴったりと

kimi no kokoro sotto boku no han'bun' ga mitasun'da pittari to

Secretly your heart fills my half completely! Completely!

Again, I suspect "boku no han'bun' " refers to them as a couple. She also repeats "pittari to" which doesn't seem to show in the lyrics.

もっと寄り添って 生きて行こう

motto yorisotte ikite ikou

At 4:03 this time. Sure seems like the lyric should be "ikitaika" and not "ikite ikou"

ボク等なんだか似てるね

頼りないとこも 補ってちょうどいいとこも

tayorinai tokomo oginatte choudo ii tokomo

In an unreliable place and in a compensated just right place
    the places that I can't be relied on, are precisely the places you make up for

ちゃんと向き合って 生きて行こう

Chan'to mukiatte ikite ikou

Properly facing each other let's go live

Again, this time she says "ikitaika" at 4:18.

偶然の引力は

guuzen' no in'ryoku wa

As for chance's attraction
    A chance attraction

神様だって予測できない 必然を示してるんだ

kamisama datte yosoku dekinai hituzen wo shimeshiteru n'da

We show that it is an inevitability not even god could predict
    shows an inevitability not even god could predict
    示してるんだ

shimeshiteru n'da

We show it
    It shows it

Okay that is my translation. Any problems, critiques, or suggestions?

EDIT: since my other post discussing the lyrics seems to have vanished I added my comments here via edit instead.
    Last edited by Lost247365; 11-08-2018 at 03:29 PM. Reason: too many to list
    迷いだということまで私達は自分達を見つけり始まれない

ヘンリーデイヴィッドソロー

AnimeLyrics Admin
    EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-25-2020 10:24 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: xenographer Steam ID: xen0glossy

Default Re: An attempt to translate"Right Light Rise" by Kanon Wakeshima

Your second comment got caught in the moderation filter. It happens sometimes, unfortunately; it's unpredictable and there's not much that can be done about it. When that happens, I prefer if people don't repost--if you wait, I'll approve it the next time I'm on.

Anyway, I'm just going to cover some broad points of grammar rather than really getting into fine details, which I don't think will be helpful to you at this stage.

ほらまたすぐに笑い合えてる
    The verb here is in the potential form--it's going to be very useful to you to learn to spot it.

もっと寄り添って生きて行こう
    I think 寄り添って is more figurative here and is intended as sort of a way of living, rather than being separate from 生きて行こう. This being the case, 生きたいか would also work for what she actually sings.

"-て行く" is a construction that means "to go on doing something" or "to do something from now on." Some examples here.

All of this also applies for ちゃんと向き合って 生きて行こう.

補う isn't really "compensate" in the sense of payment (which is what "well compensated" sounds like, though I don't know if that's what you meant), but rather to make up for something. I think, though the reciprocal 合う isn't present, that the idea is probably that the singer and the addressee complement each other, or make up for each other's weaknesses.

偶然の引力は
    神様だって予測できない 必然を示してるんだ
    A noun followed by "の" isn't necessarily possessive; sometimes it makes the noun function as an adjective (see the section here titled "'No' as a General Modifier"). "偶然の" specifically often functions in this way.

Also, while I know they teach you in Japanese class that "は" means "As for...", that's almost never a good way to actually translate it. In this case the noun phrase before "は" is functioning straightforwardly as the subject of the sentence, the entity that's doing the action of the verb (示してる).

You're correct about the usage of だって. 神様だって~できない is a pretty common phrase that you'll probably be seeing again.

って言う means the same thing as と言う. It may be redundant, but languages do that--they're not perfectly textbook-grammatical in actual use.

追い風 has its own specific meaning rather than being two separate words--you should be sure to look combinations like this up when they're unfamiliar to you to see if that's the case. Same issue with 落ち込む.

3. Thanks Lost247365 thanked for this post
    Likes Lost247365 liked this post
    Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by bluepenguin View Post
    Your second comment got caught in the moderation filter. It happens sometimes, unfortunately; it's unpredictable and there's not much that can be done about it. When that happens, I prefer if people don't repost--if you wait, I'll approve it the next time I'm on.
    Sorry about that. When I got another thread approved but not that reply I assumed it got lost. I will be more patient next time.

The verb here is in the potential form--it's going to be very useful to you to learn to spot it.
    Ah! I should have spotted that! You are completely correct

I think 寄り添って is more figurative here and is intended as sort of a way of living, rather than being separate from 生きて行こう. This being the case, 生きたいか would also work for what she actually sings.

"-て行く" is a construction that means "to go on doing something" or "to do something from now on." Some examples here.

All of this also applies for ちゃんと向き合って 生きて行こう.

補う isn't really "compensate" in the sense of payment (which is what "well compensated" sounds like, though I don't know if that's what you meant), but rather to make up for something. I think, though the reciprocal 合う isn't present, that the idea is probably that the singer and the addressee complement each other, or make up for each other's weaknesses.
    I see, so 「寄り添って」might mean to get to know each other better maybe? Thus「もっと寄り添って生きて行こう」would roughly mean "let's go live close to each other" and 「ちゃんと向き合って 生きて行こう」could be interpretted as "lets live properly facing each other?" That does sound much better.

To be completely honest, I did learn 補う as monetary compensation, but I assumed the singer was being figurative. Especially, in context of an "unreliable place," I assumed the song meant that they were in a metaphorical situation that was not likely to cause them problems.

Saying that they are compensating for each other makes a lot of sense. I guess I was being too exact here and not thinking figuratively enough. So maybe a better translation would be:

"the places that I can't be relied on, are precisely the places you make up for
    Let' live properly contrasting each other"

A noun followed by "の" isn't necessarily possessive; sometimes it makes the noun function as an adjective (see the section here titled "'No' as a General Modifier"). "偶然の" specifically often functions in this way.

Also, while I know they teach you in Japanese class that "は" means "As for...", that's almost never a good way to actually translate it. In this case the noun phrase before "は" is functioning straightforwardly as the subject of the sentence, the entity that's doing the action of the verb (示してる).

You're correct about the usage of だって. 神様だって~できない is a pretty common phrase that you'll probably be seeing again.

って言う means the same thing as と言う. It may be redundant, but languages do that--they're not perfectly textbook-grammatical in actual use.

追い風 has its own specific meaning rather than being two separate words--you should be sure to look combinations like this up when they're unfamiliar to you to see if that's the case. Same issue with 落ち込む.
    I was unaware that 偶然 was often used that way. Thank you, I will make a note of that for future translations. I will also try and not translate は as "as for" as much (if at all) in the future.

Ah! That is what I was hoping on the "tte" part meant!

Sorry about those combinations. The first one I totally messed up on. The second one I honestly thought it just meant to "fall into." I will be more careful about that next time.

AnimeLyrics Admin
    EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-25-2020 10:24 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: xenographer Steam ID: xen0glossy

I see, so 「寄り添って」might mean to get to know each other better maybe? Thus「もっと寄り添って生きて行こう」would roughly mean "let's go live close to each other" and 「ちゃんと向き合って 生きて行こう」could be interpretted as "lets live properly facing each other?" That does sound much better.
    Yes, that's how I would interpret it.

Sorry about those combinations. The first one I totally messed up on. The second one I honestly thought it just meant to "fall into."
    Yeah, a lot of the time a compound verb just means what you'd expect based on the meaning of the individual verbs, but not always, so I find it's better not to assume.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

Also, sorry your post got caught in the moderation filter again--I guess the filtering software just doesn't like this thread?

6. Thanks Lost247365 thanked for this post
    Likes Lost247365 liked this post
    Gil
    Where
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by bluepenguin View Post
    Also, sorry your post got caught in the moderation filter again--I guess the filtering software just doesn't like this thread?

I think it is my own fault. I chose the name Lost for my ID so the software must think it is perfectly okay for my posts to become lost too!
    Last edited by Lost247365; 10-24-2018 at 04:50 AM.
    迷いだということまで私達は自分達を見つけり始まれない

ヘンリーデイヴィッドソロー

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information