AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need lyric and timing check please :)

Junior Member Shoujo Fanboy is on a distinguished road Shoujo Fanboy's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-17-2013 01:44 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Need lyric and timing check please :)

Hi all,

I recently made a lyric video to one of my favourite songs (I have many favourites).

I could really use some help with...
    1. Confirming I got the meaning correct
    This is because I mixed different translations from different people. Picking, choosing, and interpreting as I felt necessary

2. Confirming that I have timed the lyrics correctly.
    I timed it via romaji but as I know absolutely no japanese (except from years of anime watching) I was hunching most of it.

I felt the most difficult parts were the verses at:
    0:20 - 0:40
    1:42 - 2:02
    2:24 - 2:43
    3:05 - 3:30

Video link:

Lyric source: http://gendou.com/amusic/lyrics.php?id=9965

Your help is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Zach

PS - I am not trying to boost youtube views. I promise! lol
    Last edited by Shoujo Fanboy; 05-16-2013 at 09:56 AM.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts Clannad Botan Snowman Neko Tv
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2020 10:22 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: rizuchan01 PSN ID: rizuchan01 Steam ID: rizuchan

Default Re: Need lyric and timing check please :)

Please don't "[mix] different translations from different people. Picking, choosing, and interpreting as [you feel] necessary"... It makes us translators cry. ;_;

...Well, I really can't speak for other translators, but it does irk me when I see people reposting my translations with little changes here and there because they liked it better that way. I work really hard on my phrasing, so it's frustrating when someone just rewrites it however. What bothers me even more is seeing someone change the meaning of a line altogether, using an incorrect translation because they either don't know better or just think it sounds better without any respect to the meanings from the original lyricist or translator. Not to mention that none of the original translators are ever given credit for the frankenstein work, but I don't really expect that from the internet anyway.

Don't get me wrong, it's your video, you can make the lyrics say whatever you want, but since you posted this on a board for lyric translators, I thought I would express my opinion.

3. Likes AzureDark liked this post
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

First of all, I am rather offended at the use of the term 'Frankenstein' to describe my video and the indiscreet blows to my integrity as a person. I always make sure to credit the translators, pictures, etc in my video description (this being no exception). My channel description states clearly that I do not mean to offend anybody through my actions.

I also wish to set my side of the story before I get any further negative comments.

I can understand your anger (albeit a little overdone) with reference to adaption of translations as I see appropriate but do not take my adaptions so lightly. Similar to how you take time to find your wording, I will take time to see if possibly it could be done any better. Appreciate that while many translations are top quality, there are times (quite possibly more often than not) when the translators are not native English speakers and cannot employ the same use of idioms that we can. And hence cannot convey the meaning as well as we can to an English speaking audience.

The main reason I wanted reviewing of my video is because the translations of the two different versions used directly contradict each other on certain lines. Subsequently, I have no idea which way to go.
    Last edited by Shoujo Fanboy; 05-16-2013 at 06:08 PM.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts Clannad Botan Snowman Neko Tv
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2020 10:22 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: rizuchan01 PSN ID: rizuchan01 Steam ID: rizuchan

I apologize, I didn't mean for anything I said to be a direct attack on your work. I'm sure that you worked hard on the lyrics and video and you are proud of them, and it does make me glad to see you gave credit to the original translators. But please understand that I am passionate about the topic because I work hard on my translations and they are like an art for me. I want them each to be taken as a whole and not pieced together with someone else's.

As I said, the beauty of the internet is that you can take a translation, and mix it with someone elses, and then rewrite a line here and there, and then put it on a youtube video, and that's fine. But I'm just saying that when I see others using my translations this way, it upsets me a bit. I don't speak for the translators of the lyrics you are using, and maybe they could care less about what you do with their translations. but maybe one or both of them feels the same way I do.

(Although... in the case of the translators having poor English, I honestly do feel for you. But that's a rant for a different day. )

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Phew, I am quite relieved that you replied the way that you did. I wouldn't know what to do otherwise! Apology accepted.

Now back to the topic at hand. Any help is appreciated, thanks~

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information