AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What was your gateway anime?

Senior Member Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Mario Ice Flower Gabumon 007 - Squirtle
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-01-2024 10:57 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Takatofan1986

Default What was your gateway anime?

What was your gateway anime?

It's funny, I just found out a few years ago, that when I was in pre-school I was already an anime fan, because at that time in the early 90s, Nick Jr. had several animes showing, and they were my favorite shows at the time.

But I don't count those as my first, or gateway, I just thought it was interesting.

Anyway, the first anime I watched that I knew it was anime, was Pokemon. But I got into it a weird way, and we didn't have the WB in my town, I bought the videos, and there wasn't any influence to watch anything else because of it, so I wouldn't call it my gateway either.

But a year later my cusin made me watch Digimon, and that ended up being my gateway.

The next summer, Digimon moved to ABC family, and started airing Beyblade that I watched (am embarrassed to mention...) Then someone online told me about Yu-Gi-Oh!, and Cartoon Network started airing it (since I didn't have the WB). Shortly after that, someone introduced me to Toonami and Adult Swim, where I watched Yu Yu Hakusho and Cowboy Bebop, and about that time I was like, "Okay Anime is a thing I like..."

So yeah Digimon.

I guess you could argue Pokemon in a way, but if I hadn't gotten into Digimon, I don't know that I would have ever watched any other anime, since I was watching Pokemon on VHS.

2. Likes Digimon_Sommelier liked this post
    Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-12-2024 01:59 PM
    Threads

Default Re: What was your gateway anime?

I don't remember. Honestly. Most likely several with good story lines and strong characters. Cowboy Bebop may have been one.

4. Likes Takatofan1986 liked this post
    Ace Kaitous YOU Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Hat Rayman Baboon With A Gun Bioshock Syringe
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-23-2024 09:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: kaitou ace42 PSN ID: kaitou42 Steam ID: kaitou_ace

Heh, Sailor Moon. Back in the late 90's it was on tv at exactly the right time for me to catch an ep in the morning before school, and well it kinda went nuts from there. After that I hit the fansubs, which in those days meant buying dubiously sourced VHS tapes from tiny shops, which were copies of copies of copies....
    Then it was Rurouni Kenshin, Fushigi Yuugi, Magic Knight Rayearth, Tenchi Muyo, tons of other Pioneer anime, and yeah, still here now, but anime is a lot easier to access these days.

6. Likes Takatofan1986 liked this post
    Senior Member Blackmagezero is a splendid one to behold Blackmagezero is a splendid one to behold Blackmagezero is a splendid one to behold Blackmagezero is a splendid one to behold Blackmagezero is a splendid one to behold Blackmagezero is a splendid one to behold Blackmagezero is a splendid one to behold Blackmagezero's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-02-2019 05:17 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Yu-gi-oh, when I was a kid I watched it because the monsters looked cool.

8. Likes Takatofan1986 liked this post
    Junior Member Pinkuuuu is on a distinguished road Pinkuuuu's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-27-2017 05:23 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Gateway anime??? you make it sound like a drug, lol!!~

For me, Cardcaptors really got me into anime!! I wished I had some magic cards like Sakura did

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-12-2024 01:59 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkuuuu View Post
    Gateway anime??? you make it sound like a drug, lol!!~
    (
    Well. . . .

11. Likes Takatofan1986 liked this post
    Senior Member LadyAkita is a name known to all LadyAkita is a name known to all LadyAkita is a name known to all LadyAkita is a name known to all LadyAkita is a name known to all LadyAkita is a name known to all LadyAkita's Avatar
    Gil
    Cloud_9
    Gifts Mario Super Leaf Book PPG Bubbles
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-05-2018 09:40 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I guess my gateway anime would be Pokémon. That was the first anime I ever watched, I was probably around 8 at the time. I had no idea it was anime at the time though, I don't even think I knew what anime even was. Years upon years later in my early 20's I met someone that later became my husband (we're divorced now) and he was big into anime and turned me on to other shows like Trouble Chocolate and Galaxy Angel and I"ve been an anime fan ever since.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information