AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Favorite Cerebral Anime

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-12-2024 01:59 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Post Favorite Cerebral Anime

I was going to say "thinking man's" anime, but that would be sexist in leaving out the women. So let's go with cerebral -- an anime which either makes you think or requires you to think.

My choices:

Ergo Proxy. Re'l is a strong, independent woman -- or so she thinks. But take away her autorev and put her outside civilization, she really is close to hopeless. She can't even do her own hair. It takes a monster and a robot to teach her about humanity. When Pino asks, "Is Pino Pino?," it's a line that can take you to so many levels. What is humanity? Is it really reserved for the human race? Think about it.

Casshern Sins. Check out my avatar. Earth may be dominated by robotic droids, but their time is limited after Casshern kills Luna. Why does he kill her? That's what Casshern wants to know. And is Luna really dead? With all these robotic warriors, there is action, but mostly you again ponder the basics of existence and the purpose of life. Little Ringo seems to understand. She knows she is doomed, but still sees the beauty of the world.

Grave of the Fireflies. The most depressing anime film I have ever seen, but don't let that scare you off. It really makes you ponder the cost of war. This one will not leave your mind.

Now your turn.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-11-2024 06:40 PM
    Threads

Default Re: Favorite Cerebral Anime

Try "Welcome to the Space Show" or "Summer Wars".
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Any anime requires you to think if you tackle this question logically, but going off your definition I'd say Ergo Proxy. It was pretty good.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    "Summer Wars".
    I liked Summer Wars. But I really didn't consider it cerebral, though I guess it could be if you are questioning the line between reality and the virtual world. But I think Lain, aka Serial Experiments Lain, did that a lot better, so maybe I should add that to my list. But I consider Summer Wars more of a teen adventure movie. But it was a good teen adventure movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Anime Forum View Post
    Any anime requires you to think if you tackle this question logically, but going off your definition I'd say Ergo Proxy. It was pretty good.
    I often find myself in the minority on Ergo Proxy. I am glad someone here besides me likes it.

5. Likes Anime Forum liked this post
    Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

You have fantastic taste!

Its not similiar, but you should watch the airing anime "Tanya The Evil". Its very good.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Anime Forum View Post
    You have fantastic taste!

Its not similiar, but you should watch the airing anime "Tanya The Evil". Its very good.
    Tell me about it. Where is it airing? If in Japan, I will probably have to wait a year if it ends up on Netflix streaming. More than that if not.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Kubo and the Two Strings.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Kubo and the Two Strings.
    Sounds like a rock group. What's it about?

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Stories. A young boy. His amnesiac goddess mother. His grandfather the moon king who wants to rip out Kubo's remaining eye. A quest for mystical armor. A giant amnesiac beetle.

Also Wolf's Rain is pretty cerebral.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Stories. A young boy. His amnesiac goddess mother. His grandfather the moon king who wants to rip out Kubo's remaining eye. A quest for mystical armor. A giant amnesiac beetle.
    Too mucn amnesia. You can forget it!

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Forget what?

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I don't remember.

Member Shamo is infamous around these parts Shamo is infamous around these parts Shamo is infamous around these parts Shamo is infamous around these parts Shamo is infamous around these parts Shamo is infamous around these parts Shamo is infamous around these parts Shamo is infamous around these parts Shamo is infamous around these parts Shamo is infamous around these parts Shamo is infamous around these parts Shamo's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2017 07:34 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

An anime that requires you to think?

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
    It's about war strategies and politics.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Shamo View Post
    An anime that requires you to think?

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
    It's about war strategies and politics.
    And not just a bunch of characters fighting without a thought? Now that is something different!

Member Shamo is infamous around these parts Shamo is infamous around these parts Shamo is infamous around these parts Shamo is infamous around these parts Shamo is infamous around these parts Shamo is infamous around these parts Shamo is infamous around these parts Shamo is infamous around these parts Shamo is infamous around these parts Shamo is infamous around these parts Shamo is infamous around these parts Shamo's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2017 07:34 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    And not just a bunch of characters fighting without a thought? Now that is something different!
    "For those who have come to power, wealth and glory not by their own strength and effort, but simply through inheritance, what right do they have to complain? The very existence of such blood-lineage dynasties is disgusting. Power is the property of one generation. It shouldn't be transferred, it should be seized."

~ Reinhard von Lohengramm

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information