AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why is Japan so facinated with homos?

Banned Forum / Chat ItsMeMario is infamous around these parts ItsMeMario is infamous around these parts ItsMeMario is infamous around these parts ItsMeMario is infamous around these parts ItsMeMario is infamous around these parts ItsMeMario is infamous around these parts ItsMeMario is infamous around these parts ItsMeMario is infamous around these parts ItsMeMario is infamous around these parts ItsMeMario is infamous around these parts ItsMeMario is infamous around these parts ItsMeMario's Avatar
    Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-10-2012 01:39 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Why is Japan so facinated with homos?

Almost any anime you watch, you will find usually at least one of the main characters (or at least important secondary characters) seems to have a romantic attraction to another character of the same gender. It's a bit creepy that Japan seems to have such a fascination with homosexuality.

Of course it's also possible that I'm reading it wrong due to my lack of understanding of Japanese culture. Maybe they don't really feel romantically attracted, just very very very good friends, at a level that would seem to westerners to be "homo" for people of the same gender because such friendship is normally associated with hetero relationships between people of opposite gender, but is acceptable in Japanese culture as normal just being "really good friends" and not quite as strong as an actual romantic relationship.

Can someone here please explain?

2. Likes Meroty liked this post
    Dislikes Meenah disliked this post
    Senior Member marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Witch Hat Gir Aries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-04-2012 08:45 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why is Japan so facinated with homos?

At the risk of engaging a Troll... It's not so much as an obsession, as it is a case of 'no big deal'. Western culture makes such a huge deal out Homosexuality and why it's 'bad'. Residents of Japan are predominately Buddhist/Shinto, which places far less importance on a persons sexuality than the Christian religions.
    My Bubblegum Crisis fan-site --> The Bubblegum Crisis Sanctum (a work in progress)

and my humble blog --> The Writing Desk

--> My AF album

Pet Shop Story and Dragon Story ids: webowers, wbowers

4. Likes Hakoshi, .:neuko:. liked this post
    looking for 'someone just for me" <3 Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Black Ribbon Rainbow Ribbon Mic
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-09-2013 09:40 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

not really i have no prob with that i just hate how they use little kids for hentai now that is creepy like pedicon and lolicon..but lolicon can be cute you just got to find an appropriate pic

Sig ^ made by @Kaleohano *hugs*

Resident Japanese Girl
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2014 01:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by Luv_The_Unloved View Post
    not really i have no prob with that i just hate how they use little kids for hentai now that is creepy like pedicon and lolicon..but lolicon can be cute you just got to find an appropriate pic
    ...I seriously just facepalmed so freaking hard.
    ELPHABA LIVES!!

looking for 'someone just for me" <3 Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suzumi View Post
    ...I seriously just facepalmed so freaking hard.
    hehe yeah..yeah i know (//_.^=)S

Banned Forum / Chat ItsMeMario is infamous around these parts ItsMeMario is infamous around these parts ItsMeMario is infamous around these parts ItsMeMario is infamous around these parts ItsMeMario is infamous around these parts ItsMeMario is infamous around these parts ItsMeMario is infamous around these parts ItsMeMario is infamous around these parts ItsMeMario is infamous around these parts ItsMeMario is infamous around these parts ItsMeMario is infamous around these parts ItsMeMario's Avatar
    Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I think it doesn't matter in hentai cause it's just cartoon rape, it's not real, nobody is being hurt. Anyone who's gonna complain about hentai really has no life. Of course people who get off on hentai also probably have no life.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by marvel_phoenix View Post
    At the risk of engaging a Troll... It's not so much as an obsession, as it is a case of 'no big deal'.

Well I'd see that was true if some animes had homosexuals in them, and others didn't, and the ones that did have them didn't treat them mean. However it goes beyond this, it's like more and more anime now have to have a "token homo" in it just so the GLBT community will like it. I mean it's becoming more and more difficult to find an anime that does NOT at some point a reference to homosexuality in it. It used to be some did and some didn't, but they weren't worried about the ones that had homos in them. But now it's like they go out of their way to make sure their is at lease one homosexual character in most anime that are made now. It's ridiculous. It seems that modern day "political correctness" from the west, finally has made its way to Japan, and so to appeal to certain "special interest groups" they now HAVE TO have homos in most animes.

Senior Member marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMeMario View Post
    I think it doesn't matter in hentai cause it's just cartoon rape, it's not real, nobody is being hurt. Anyone who's gonna complain about hentai really has no life. Of course people who get off on hentai also probably have no life.

Depending on the level of offensiveness, some Hentai has the potential to be illegal here in the states. So with that in mind, it is a big deal.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Well I'd see that was true if some animes had homosexuals in them, and others didn't, and the ones that did have them didn't treat them mean. However it goes beyond this, it's like more and more anime now have to have a "token homo" in it just so the GLBT community will like it. I mean it's becoming more and more difficult to find an anime that does NOT at some point a reference to homosexuality in it. It used to be some did and some didn't, but they weren't worried about the ones that had homos in them. But now it's like they go out of their way to make sure their is at lease one homosexual character in most anime that are made now. It's ridiculous. It seems that modern day "political correctness" from the west, finally has made its way to Japan, and so to appeal to certain "special interest groups" they now HAVE TO have homos in most animes.
    Did you ever stop to think that maybe they do it just to make people like you complain?

Personally, I have no problem with it. I, like many others, have some homosexual friends, so it's only fair that they have representation.
    My Bubblegum Crisis fan-site --> The Bubblegum Crisis Sanctum (a work in progress)

--> My AF album

Senior Member Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-27-2013 05:08 PM
    Threads

They also have token lesbians in anime as well, but I'm not seeing any complaining there. Really the token homo/lesbian adds another flavor to the mix and they are usually really funny as well. A diverse cast is nice. That's no real reason to be insecure about your own sexuality honestly.

Check out The Ouran Host Club. It's absolutely hilarious and its entire cast is extremely ambiguously homosexual!
    Last edited by Ayu 「あゆ」; 05-09-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

Well here's a little reason why. $, €, £, and ¥....

It's not so much inflatuation as it is reaching to a newer market.
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

Corrupted Data Inc. CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Cookie Ice Cream Kawaiislice
    Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2014 09:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Fascinated with homos? I don't think that's the case. There are some hints, but definitely not enough to point them as homos. It's just friendship. I remember watching Russell Peters' video about Western society (I know it's stereotype, but I see that's the case here). When a guy accidentally touches another guy's hand, both quickly pulled their hands away. But in other society (like in my society), it is perfectly normal for a guy to hold another guy's hand. I think in Japan it is pretty normal, so it doesn't matter if a guy holds hands with another guy. But it doesn't mean that they're homos.

>>Enter My World<<

Thanks to Ms Lucy for this awesome, funny gif.

The person that you are now is not the person that I used to know. You're becoming a stranger that I've never met before. Not liking the change though.

Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuda View Post
    They also have token lesbians in anime as well, but I'm not seeing any complaining there. Really the token homo/lesbian adds another flavor to the mix and they are usually really funny as well. A diverse cast is nice. That's no real reason to be insecure about your own sexuality honestly.

Check out The Ouran Host Club. It's absolutely hilarious and its entire cast is extremely ambiguously homosexual!

Actually it's not lesbian versus homo. Lesbians are homosexuals, just as gays are homosexuals. That's why your comment sounds dumb.

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonMoon View Post
    Fascinated with homos? I don't think that's the case. There are some hints, but definitely not enough to point them as homos. It's just friendship. I remember watching Russell Peters' video about Western society (I know it's stereotype, but I see that's the case here). When a guy accidentally touches another guy's hand, both quickly pulled their hands away. But in other society (like in my society), it is perfectly normal for a guy to hold another guy's hand. I think in Japan it is pretty normal, so it doesn't matter if a guy holds hands with another guy. But it doesn't mean that they're homos.

You say "in your culture". Are you Japanese?

14. Dislikes Meenah, Ayu 「あゆ」 disliked this post
    Corrupted Data Inc. CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Cookie Ice Cream Kawaiislice
    Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2014 09:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

You say "in your culture". Are you Japanese?
    No, I never said I'm Japanese. I'm just saying that in other cultures, those kind of physical contact is acceptable. Maybe in Japan it is acceptable.

>>Enter My World<<

Thanks to Ms Lucy for this awesome, funny gif.

The person that you are now is not the person that I used to know. You're becoming a stranger that I've never met before. Not liking the change though.

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Well I'd see that was true if some animes had homosexuals in them, and others didn't, and the ones that did have them didn't treat them mean. However it goes beyond this, it's like more and more anime now have to have a &quot;token homo&quot; in it just so the GLBT community will like it. I mean it's becoming more and more difficult to find an anime that does NOT at some point a reference to homosexuality in it. It used to be some did and some didn't, but they weren't worried about the ones that had homos in them. But now it's like they go out of their way to make sure their is at lease one homosexual character in most anime that are made now. It's ridiculous. It seems that modern day &quot;political correctness&quot; from the west, finally has made its way to Japan, and so to appeal to certain &quot;special interest groups&quot; they now HAVE TO have homos in most animes.
    but it can be considered as child pornography!!!!..so be careful what you frikkin have and post

Senior Member Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

That's why your comment sounds dumb.
    ^^ Yeah, it's definitely obvious this guy is just trolling. That's all.

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuda View Post
    ^^ Yeah, it's definitely obvious this guy is just trolling. That's all.

This member has been our resident "troll" if you wish to call him that.. For years..

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

19. Likes CrimsonMoon liked this post
    Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

but it can be considered as child pornography!!!!..so be careful what you frikkin have and post
    Actually the George W Bush congress tried to outlaw, TWICE. But each time the Supreme Court struck the law down, on constitutional / first amendment grounds. Currently there exists no law banning such material in the US, despite how creepy and perverted it is. Yes a couple arrests have been made under one of the laws (someone was caught with this after the was passed by Congress but just before the law was struck down by the Supreme Court, so such material actually was illegal for a brief time). However at the moment, there are no such laws banning this stuff in the US. So if you live in the US, want to look at and want to look at some loli hentai, NOW'S THE TIME, before someone tries to ban it again. Just make sure if any law ever goes into effect that bans this stuff, AS SOON AS YOU HEAR ABOUT the passing of such a law in the news, DELETE ALL YOUR LOLI HENTAI.

However Canada, the UK, and Australia are different. Currently ALL THREE of these countries have laws that DO ban that kind of material (cartoon CP). So if you live in any of these three countries, DON'T DOWNLOAD THAT CRAP. And if you live in the US and have stuff like this don't plan to move to any of those 3 countries, cause you'll just be throwing away your constitutional liberties that you currently have here in the US.

21. Dislikes Meenah disliked this post
    Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

Quote Originally Posted by blueangel06661;2677859[COLOR="#ffc0cb"
    This member has been our resident "troll" if you wish to call him that.. For years..[/COLOR]
    We've had better, though...
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

Gil
    Fine
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Actually the George W Bush congress tried to outlaw, TWICE. But each time the Supreme Court struck the law down, on constitutional / first amendment grounds. Currently there exists no law banning such material in the US, despite how creepy and perverted it is. Yes a couple arrests have been made under one of the laws (someone was caught with this after the was passed by Congress but just before the law was struck down by the Supreme Court, so such material actually was illegal for a brief time). However at the moment, there are no such laws banning this stuff in the US. So if you live in the US, want to look at and want to look at some loli hentai, NOW'S THE TIME, before someone tries to ban it again. Just make sure if any law ever goes into effect that bans this stuff, AS SOON AS YOU HEAR ABOUT the passing of such a law in the news, DELETE ALL YOUR LOLI HENTAI.
    Currently, I believe US Law uses the Miller Test to judge if some works are offensive or not. ("How-To Manuals" for Rape and Child Abuse/Molestation are illegal no matter what.) Now-a-days, Lolita is considered by many to be art, so I don't know the full extent that such a Ban-type law could reach.

--> My AF album

Moderator Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Moon Crescent Wand Wine Kangaroo
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 04:32 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Hmmm... I honestly never noticed much Homosexuality in anime, I guess it just seems quite normal to me. Except of course when I'm watching Yaoi

Senior Member .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2020 04:24 PM
    Threads

I think it doesn't matter in hentai cause it's just cartoon rape, it's not real, nobody is being hurt.
    That's to miss the point. Even if it's not using real people, it's still representing something that happens in reality and sending out a message that rape is acceptable.

I mean it's becoming more and more difficult to find an anime that does NOT at some point a reference to homosexuality in it. It used to be some did and some didn't, but they weren't worried about the ones that had homos in them. But now it's like they go out of their way to make sure their is at lease one homosexual character in most anime that are made now. It's ridiculous. It seems that modern day "political correctness" from the west, finally has made its way to Japan, and so to appeal to certain "special interest groups" they now HAVE TO have homos in most animes.
    To some level I kinda see where you're coming from, although it doesn't really bother me that more anime are including homosexual characters these days. As long as they are appropriately portrayed and relevant to their storylines, it's all good imo. It's only when they are being simply used to answer "special interest groups" (especially in the name of political correctness) and/or cast as unhelpful and sometimes annoying stereotypes that I start taking offense. That goes for any kind of character though, not just for homosexual ones. You on the other hand seem very much inclined to specifically avoid anime with references to homosexuality. Interesting...

Anyways, would it really be so bad if every anime hence forth featured 1 "token homo" (as you put it)? I think not. After all, homosexuality is a fact of life: walk down a street and chances are you'll pass at least 1 homosexual person (and wouldn't even know it).

At least anime tends to convey homosexuality in a more matter-of-fact/no-big-deal sort of way; it's more understated, and arguably, that's how it should be. By contrast, animated features in the west tend to purposely conceal or stereotype homosexuality (the latter usually to make slapstick humour). This in turn reinforces the belief that homosexuals are "abnormal" people and that it's perfectly okay to insult them on the basis of their sexual orientation.

In any case, I think no anime should be forced to exclude or curb references to homosexuality just because they would be disturbing for a minority of narrow-minded viewers. Like I said before, homosexuality is a part of real life - therefore, get over it.
    Last edited by .:neuko:.; 05-10-2012 at 06:40 PM.

26. Likes marvel_phoenix liked this post
    Senior Member Hakoshi has a reputation beyond repute Hakoshi has a reputation beyond repute Hakoshi has a reputation beyond repute Hakoshi has a reputation beyond repute Hakoshi has a reputation beyond repute Hakoshi has a reputation beyond repute Hakoshi has a reputation beyond repute Hakoshi has a reputation beyond repute Hakoshi has a reputation beyond repute Hakoshi has a reputation beyond repute Hakoshi has a reputation beyond repute Hakoshi's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Watermelon Squid Empty Box
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-06-2013 04:02 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: hakonoko

well, the reason to that like you say is

Japan doesn't give a darn about what most people think of homosexuality.

if they did... they'd be very careful about yaoi and yuri content in anime.. (I myself don't like yaoi.. its just weird.. no offense to fans of it.. lol) but yeah, some places aren't hardcore against it..
    only thing that makes it bad is people's thoughts on it..

lol

The third eye of love Koishi Komeiji Closed eyes of love
    Let us seek that side.
    (´・ω・`)コンチャ!

Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    569 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-30-2016 01:28 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marvel_phoenix View Post
    Currently, I believe US Law uses the Miller Test to judge if some works are offensive or not. ("How-To Manuals" for Rape and Child Abuse/Molestation are illegal no matter what.) Now-a-days, Lolita is considered by many to be art, so I don't know the full extent that such a Ban-type law could reach.
    Yep, Lolita is considered an artform and has successfully branched out from the original perspective. Lolita fashion shows in anime conventions are ALWAYS PACKED.

Back on topic, like someone already mentioned, Christianity is a rare practice in Japan.
    Homosexuality isn't a taboo, but it's also not a big deal.
    Last edited by Albear; 05-11-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Gil
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

♡ Your Royal Sprinkles ♡ Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake's Avatar
    Gil
    Psychadelic
    Gifts Cheshire Cat Kawaiislice Cake
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2012 09:54 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Because homosexuality is a beautiful thing. Just like heterosexuality. It's still affection, just with a different name and if you choose to see it separately then you will never understand.

31. Likes Ayu 「あゆ」 liked this post
    Senior Member AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan's Avatar
    Gil
    Sassy
    Gifts Systems N64 Hello Kitty Soul Eater Logo
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2017 03:25 PM
    Threads

This is of no relevance but I burst out laughing when I read the title of this.
    But as someone else said over there it's like a "no big deal" kinda thing...
    Last edited by AshureeChan; 05-13-2012 at 10:43 PM.

| Twitter | Tumblr | YouTube | MyAnimeList |

"Frustrations will not last forever. Nobody can keep on going without some measure of reward."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information