AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Obscure anime?

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2024 08:08 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Obscure anime?

What is the most obscure anime you have ever watched? It doesn't have to be good, just obscure. I am talking about any anime you have seen which probably has not been seen by more than a handful of people -- if that many.

Don't just name the anime and walk away. Tell us what it is about, if you liked it, and maybe why.

Recently I have been watching several anime series which I consider at least for now to be obscure. They are recent series, so that may change. They are probably well known in Japan, but outside Japan you probably did not have the chance to see them unless you have Netflix Streaming. As for now Netflix has exclusive rights outside of Japan for these series, though I am sure they will become generally available in another two or three years.

I will pick the most recent series I have seen, and reviewed on this site. It is Sword Gai, about a bunch of demon swords spread across the world which possess their owners. Gai has one of these swords, actually as an arm, but he doesn't do much in season one. But with the buildup, I am sure season two will be more interesting as the many characters and sub-plots come together. The series has its drawbacks in that it tries to do too much in one season, but I was into it enough to want season two.

Your turn.

Jarry Park, Montreal

Senior Member Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Mario Ice Flower Gabumon 007 - Squirtle
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-01-2024 10:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Takatofan1986

Default Re: Obscure anime?

Usually I would say Yakitate!! Japan, as it's one of my absolute favs, and not enough people know about it, but I don't think it really fits for SUPER obscure (Though if anyone disagrees I'm more than happy to try and sell it again!) so...

*Looks at anime list*

So, I don't have a ton of people I talk to about anime, or look around a ton of sites, but I picked 4 animes I really like that I personally haven't seen people talk about a lot out there. So if one of these isn't super obscure, I apologize.

Detective Academy Q/Tantei Gakuen Q

This show is about a detective school. where people solve criminal cases. It's really interesting, and fun. They really get in the middle of some intense situations, but they use their deduction skills to find the culprit. This is one of my top 10 favorite anime, and I highly recommend it.

Moyashimon.

No, not Pokemon, Digimon, Moyashimon. It has nothing to do with digital monsters. (Actually, I'm not sure WHY it's called that... anyway...)

This show is about an college student in an Agriculture who, all or most of his life, could see microbes. It's a very interesting premise, and while that sounds goofy, and the microbes are supposed to be funny, I think, the show is mainly taken seriously. There are still funny things going on sometimes, but not from the microbes. It's really interesting, IMO.

As for being obscure... It did have a sequel (Though it was like, 6 years later) but still only 26-ish eps total, and I haven't seen it talked about much, like I said.

Oh! Edo Rocket

This was one of those series that was mainly a joke on top of a joke, but then at certian points would get super deep. It was set in the Edo period of Japan, where everything fun has been banned, including fireworks. But the main charicter makes them anyway. A girl finds out about it, and asks for a strange request. But it turns out she's not who she seems. This show breaks the 4th wall constantly with things that shouldn't be in that time period like TVs. I love the show.

Saber Marionette J

This had.. one or two sequels, so maybe not super obscure, but, I have never heard anyone talk about it, other than the friend that told me to watch it. It's about a civilization who doesn't have any women, so they stay alive by cloning. So they create 'Marionettes' to fill the void of women. I watched this around 10 years ago, and I think I really liked it at the time, but thinking back on I'd be hesitant to rewatch it. (Though now I wanna watch it again just because.)

(Small note: I also wanted to mention Space Brothers, but, what I looked up breifly of that seemed to show that it did have a following.)

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Sabor Marionette J I think I heard of, but never saw it.

How does Detective Academy Q compare with Detective Conan aka Case Closed. I never really got into Conan, but I have watched an episode or two.

Moyashimon sounds a little like Silver Spoon, only Silver Spoon takes place in an agricultural high school. Just a little like.

Jarry Park, Montreal

Senior Member Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    Sabor Marionette J I think I heard of, but never saw it.

How does Detective Academy Q compare with Detective Conan aka Case Closed. I never really got into Conan, but I have watched an episode or two.

Moyashimon sounds a little like Silver Spoon, only Silver Spoon takes place in an agricultural high school. Just a little like.
    I've only actually watched a few eps of Conan, years and years ago. I couldn't really get into it, so I can't say for sure how it compares. (I think I just didn't like the setup, of him being turned into a little kid.)

EXACTLY! I wouldn't have watched Silver Spoon if it wasn't for Moyashimon, and that's exactly what I was thinking most of the time. I loved Silver Spoon too. Actually I almost meantioned that too, but then I saw the ranking on My Anime List and figured it must not be Obscure. XD

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Silver Spoon does have a following. I am hoping the next season becomes available. This too is available on Netflix Streaming, but not exclusively. So yes, more people have seen it than other series on Netflix.

Jarry Park, Montreal

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I have a new one to add. I didn't mention it earlier because I hadn't finished the series, but now I have. It is Violet Evergarden, which also, outside of Japan, is only available on Netflix Streaming. So I imagine not too many people have seen it.

I just posted a write-up on the series in the review section. To learn more about it, I invite you to check out that posting.

Jarry Park, Montreal

Senior Member Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts has a reputation beyond repute Peppermint Hearts's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-19-2019 04:46 PM
    Threads

I watched all of Saber Marionette and I am watching Yakitate! Japan on the Nozomient channel on YouTube, (that series, along with Yumeiro Patissiere and Food Wars are the Big 3 food anime!) Anyway, in order to watch the really obscure anime series, you need to poke around YouTube. I watched series like Strange Dawn, Kasumin and Monster Family, which is so obscure that I couldn't find much info about that series. I even watch some of Magical Fairy Persia. I avoid series like the popular shonen series like My Hero Academia, One Piece and Naruto, I like my obscure series much better.

Viva la Touhou !!!!! CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-25-2022 10:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: SabotageDaemon

I've watched all of Saber Marionette J, J Again, and JtoX. The endings always brought a tear to my eye; especially JtoX. Definitely one of Megumi Hayashibara's best music next to The Slayers. I even watched Saber Marionette R; which was completely different and a bit more dark and racy. Now that one would be considered obscure.

--------------
    So lets see. Out of my collection, I think the ones that might be considered obscure would have to be maybe:

Knights of Ramune (ecchi/military/robot/magic)

Gude Crest (swords/sorcerers/demons)

Nana 7 of 7 (moe/comedy/superhero)

Geo-Armor Kishin corps (aliens/mechs/nazis)

I think that's it, everything else might still have some popularity.

🐮🔪 "I'll see it when I believe it" 🐮🔪 ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Cookie Cookie Hedgehog
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-16-2023 02:57 PM
    The corner of Everywhere and Nowhere, ya dig?
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: TwilightWolf2508 Steam ID: zombiewolf2508

Space Patrol Luluco. A really short series by Trigger about a girl who only wants to be normal, but is forced into a life of abnormality to save her father. It features a lot of references to other works by Trigger, such as a Kill La Killian from planet KLK or a run in with a mushroom-loving Witch from planet LWA. It wasn't bad, also wasn't great, but was pretty entertaining and comical.

Sex and Violence with Machspeed. A single episode animation about a whirlwind detective named Machspeed, his love doll named Sex, and a gorilla named Violence. Another one from studio Trigger, it's a very raunchy and fast paced animated short. Pretty comical with some interesting art and animation (almost everything is yellow, black, and white). It was okay for what it was, a one off short, but not something I'd really recommend outside of the "wtf did I just watch" factor.

Shimoneta: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist. Another one not for the kiddies, this is an anime that outright wages war on censorship. Taking place in a world where everyone is monitored and anything that can be seen as sexual or lewd is highly illegal, Shimoneta follows a boy as he's sucked into a world of erotic terrorism. He, along with the Terrorist group he was forced to co-found (S.O.X), must guide the students of their school in sexual knowledge and help them to better understand their feelings of lust, as well making them realize the difference between lust and love. Highly entertaining and fairly hilarious. If you love dirty jokes, Shimoneta is the anime for you. I'm personally really hoping a season 2 eventually comes.
    Last edited by ZombieWolf2508; 06-04-2018 at 08:56 AM.

My mood on a daily basis

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieWolf2508 View Post
    Sex and Violence with Machspeed. A single episode animation about a whirlwind detective named Machspeed, his love doll named Sex, and a gorilla named Violence. Another one from studio Trigger, it's a very raunchy and fast paced animated short. Pretty comical with some interesting art and animation (almost everything is yellow, black, and white). It was okay for what it was, a one off short, but not something I'd really recommend outside of the "wtf did I just watch" factor.
    A gorilla? Mention a gorilla, and I have to think about Cromartie High School. Cromartie is probably obscure because I am the only one who has ever talked about it here on this forum. Several times, and no one else seems to know about it.

CHS has a minor character who is a gorilla and leads one of the school's several gangs. Yes, I know it sounds stupid, but it is supposed to. This is a dumb, but fun anime. Our hero is a good boy student accidentally assigned to a school for delinquents. He becomes head of one of the school's gangs, while the others are lead by a gorilla, a robot, and the late Queen lead Freddy Mercury. Actually it is pretty funny.

Jarry Park, Montreal

Little Green Miko Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome's Avatar
    Gil
    Blah
    Gifts Kawaiislice Aria Neko Pluto Garnet Orb
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-23-2023 10:19 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Kagxme4988 PSN ID: KagomeMiko

The most obscure anime I've seen is also the freaking Weirdest I've seen too.
    Zettai Shougeki Platonic Heart.
    Five episodes of complete nonsense that *tried* to form a story--but kind of failed I think..."Walking home from school Aya Iseshima stumbles upon a brutal brawl between two girls fighting over something called the "Platonic Heart". Being a martial arts master herself Aya interferes in the fight to break it up. Afterwards Aya befriends one of the fighters and finds out the Platonic Heart is a jewel that can grant one wish for any girl that posseses it and there is a battle royal tournament going on for its control. Unfortunately for Aya it seems her interference has now registered her as a participant in the fight and it looks like there's no way out but to win."~

Its been YEARS and YEARS since I've seen it--but it still sticks out in my mind...o.<
    How'd You Like That On Your Lawn?!
    "I may be empty, but I'm not worthless!"

...Clear...

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ Girls fighting? I would like to see that.

Does sound like an interesting concept, not unlike the Fate series.

Jarry Park, Montreal

Ace Kaitous YOU Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Hat Rayman Baboon With A Gun Bioshock Syringe
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-23-2024 09:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: kaitou ace42 PSN ID: kaitou42 Steam ID: kaitou_ace

Hm... Obscure?

How about Kimagure Orange Road, a fairly old anime that's a bit of a sci-fi romcom thing. From the mid 80's as I recall, and it wasn't bad at all really. Just very obscure, especially at this point.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou Ace View Post
    How about Kimagure Orange Road, a fairly old anime that's a bit of a sci-fi romcom thing. From the mid 80's as I recall, and it wasn't bad at all really. Just very obscure, especially at this point.
    I've heard of it, but have never found it. So I guess it does qualify as obscure. What's the story-line again?

Jarry Park, Montreal

Moderator Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Moon Crescent Wand Wine Kangaroo
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 04:32 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Has anyone seen a movie called 'GYO: Tokyo Fish Attack'? Definitely one of the weirdest things I've ever watched. I'd also consider 'Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan' pretty obscure..

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Jasanime View Post
    Has anyone seen a movie called 'GYO: Tokyo Fish Attack'? Definitely one of the weirdest things I've ever watched. I'd also consider 'Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan' pretty obscure..
    Tokyo Fish Attack? Does that have anything to do with eating blowfish?

OK, seriously, it sounds like a dumb, but fun anime. Is it? Tell us more.

Jarry Park, Montreal

Ace Kaitous YOU Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Hat Rayman Baboon With A Gun Bioshock Syringe
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-23-2024 09:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: kaitou ace42 PSN ID: kaitou42 Steam ID: kaitou_ace

Quote Originally Posted by Jasanime View Post

Dunno Tokyo Fish Attack, but I've seen Dokuro-chan! And that one sure was something. Yup, something indeed...

18. Likes Jasanime liked this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou Ace View Post
    Dunno Tokyo Fish Attack, but I've seen Dokuro-chan! And that one sure was something. Yup, something indeed...

Something I've tried to erase from my memory. o.o

20. Likes Jasanime liked this post
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ I think I would have a hard time forgetting a fish attack.

I assume this attack was revenge for all that sushi?

Yeah. Guess what direction this thread is going.

Jarry Park, Montreal

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information